Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fluo posted:

I think I'm going to have to use the unlock 25 squares mod (300,000+ people atm in 12 squares) :negative: But I really want to try and get achievements :qq:

There's a mod to enable achievements with mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have a small guide on how to start off your city? I always hate having to figure out how to connect my 2 highways into my main city at the start.

Also, traffic in general is a pain. I'm not a traffic engineer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's one on the first page. :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does anyone have a small guide on how to start off your city? I always hate having to figure out how to connect my 2 highways into my main city at the start.

http://imgur.com/a/LuzAc is pretty straightforward.

E: On the first image, build the grid first, then connect it to the highway, the starting highway spur isn't even.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2015

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

GreyPowerVan posted:

connect them together

turn down the gamespeed

then watch them as they drive by

from there

to here

and back to there

watch them

as they gaze upon what might have been

thinking

"I could swear...."

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

How do I alleviate the constant not enough workers problem? I feel like the answer is painfully easy but I can't figure it out. Is it because all my sims are now too smart for factories? should I rezone for offices?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Standard 4-lane boulevards are for scrubs. Drawing one-way roads and filling it with ped streets/parks grants a whole level of control on intersections.

World's tiniest functional roundabout without lights

Side-streets without intersection

Skyline E-Sports right here.
I wish ped walks would "connect" further distances, drawing one between two streets exactly one tile apart leaves lots of gaps everywhere

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

How do I alleviate the constant not enough workers problem? I feel like the answer is painfully easy but I can't figure it out. Is it because all my sims are now too smart for factories? should I rezone for offices?

If you're having this problem you either simply don't have enough workers, or your workers can't get to their jobs on time so the factory is timing out. I ran into this issue in my 25 tile map when new residential neighborhoods were being zoned on the exact opposite end of the map from my factories, which resulted in them constantly whining about not having enough workers.

I think, anyways.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

There's one on the first page. :v:

It wasn't there when i started reading the thread, I swear!

bitcoin bastard posted:

http://imgur.com/a/LuzAc is pretty straightforward.

E: On the first image, build the grid first, then connect it to the highway, the starting highway spur isn't even.

Thanks

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Build more residential, the problem is that there's not enough people to fill those jobs. Overeducated workers will take industrial jobs if there's nothing better available.

I haven't tested this, but if your industrial zones aren't near any educational buildings, you might want to try putting some high density residential areas nearby. That should provide you with uneducated people to fill those jobs. Just don't them put too close to the pollution or they'll get sick.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 23, 2015

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is an unwrapped cloverleaf junction (Parclo) or a 4 level stack more effecient? I need to know!!!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fishstick posted:

Standard 4-lane boulevards are for scrubs. Drawing one-way roads and filling it with ped streets/parks grants a whole level of control on intersections.

World's tiniest functional roundabout without lights

Side-streets without intersection

This looks fantastic

e: the 2x1 parks are not fantastic though

edit again: is that a parking spaces park in the ped walk way :stare:

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 23, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Vouching for the fire spread mod. It is awesome.

Forgot to switch to camera mode so a bit less picturesque but more "ohshitohshitohshit"

The firemen put the fires out and nothing too terrible happens but every now and then you get to witness this dramatic event going down. Should've just been in the vanilla game.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This looks fantastic

e: the 2x1 parks are not fantastic though

I have custom 1x1, 1x4 and 1x10 'parks' that offer no attraction/tourist value but are basically free to place. The 1x10 has functional parking spaces, which is what you're seeing. Anything that doesnt fit I fill up with pedestrian walkways. It works surprisingly well since this faux boulevard doesnt put up traffic lights when intersecting with basic roads, and you can control when you want a real intersection rather than just a side street. Space your one-way roads one tile between, and you can fill the space with pedestrian walkways seamlessly.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 23, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Arnold of Soissons posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410618555&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411608359&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411541793&searchtext=

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fishstick posted:

I have custom 1x1, 1x4 and 1x10 'parks' that offer no attraction/tourist value but are basically free to place. The 1x10 has functional parking spaces, which is what you're seeing. Anything that doesnt fit I fill up with pedestrian walkways.

Cool, thanks for the answer and also thanks for prompting me to look for tiny parks on the workshop :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's a neat idea, I'm gonna try that next time I play.

One thing that really annoyed me about this game was the lack of tiny parks to fill in small gaps, glad to see the community fixing that problem!

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Probably going to have get rid of Bosconian. It was my favourite city so far too :(

I guess it was a decent learning experience while losing my 5th city.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Do you have working thumbnails for those parks? If so, how?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

GreyPowerVan posted:

http://imgur.com/a/z1rM1

Subyng
May 4, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

You don't have to be?

When you get down to it it's actually not complicated. If you have lots of traffic, it means your road doesn't have enough capacity. Adding more lanes and/or add alternate routes. Traffic fixed.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey keep in mind with regards to dirty industry that if people aren't working this is more a product of low unemployment because people will happily take any job they can get at 5% unemployment, so just build more houses without zoning more industry or offices and the problem eventually solves itself and your industry upgrades and the highly educated people are happier because level 3 industry needs quite a bit of educated dudes anyways.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
If they follow this up with a The Sims where crazy mod crafters can upload their poo poo to the workshop this smoothly they will crush these sales records

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My problem so far is that fixing one traffic problem just causes a cascade down and another traffic jam. Fix the main interchange with a nice bypass to the commercial district for deliveries? Whoa now this is a shorter route for the million billion trucks the cargo harbor shits out every 40 seconds, bumper to bumper for miles out here!

Okay, another bypass for the port as well as a cargo train station right next to it so some of the traffic will be shunted onto the rails.

Now my train tracks are backing up.

Its pretty fun, just stamping out traffic fires between bouts of expanding the city as demand grows enough. Which gives me more traffic fires to fight.

I still feel bad about eminent domain'ing folks out of their homes though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

heavy traffic bans are your friend

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

also a fourth amendment mod would be pretty funny

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

kinnas posted:

Vouching for the fire spread mod. It is awesome.

Forgot to switch to camera mode so a bit less picturesque but more "ohshitohshitohshit"

The firemen put the fires out and nothing too terrible happens but every now and then you get to witness this dramatic event going down. Should've just been in the vanilla game.

Oh my goodness, this is beautiful.

Separate topic: there's pretty much no reason not to go nuts with building variations, right? Performance or stability? I don't have any plans to share save game files on workshop.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Control Volume posted:

heavy traffic bans are your friend

Yes, yes they are. All of my smaller river spanning bridges have their own names now just so I can ban heavy traffic from them and funnel it onto the highways.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hunan/Yunnan themed map is coming along pretty well. :)

Chewbot posted:

Oh my goodness, this is beautiful.

Separate topic: there's pretty much no reason not to go nuts with building variations, right? Performance or stability? I don't have any plans to share save game files on workshop.

I think you might get an FPS hit due to ram usage, but I'm not sure about any major problems.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Starhawk64 posted:

Is it weird I want a city builder in the Warhammer 40K universe? It'd be an interesting concept, instead of keeping people happy you need to keep them under the control of your iron fist all the while the Imperium of Man is constantly breathing down your neck. Screw up and Space Marines comes to exterminatus your planet. It be great for those who love building dumb dirty industrial cities. Hell, you're pretty much a godly dictator in these kinds of games anyway.

Oh hell yes. A game like that would need to have crazy planets with silly requirements though, such as cryogenic storage for a few hundred years whilst the planet is too close to the sun like the one from the first Eisenhorn book. That's how you make sure each city is unique, and not just a colour swap.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Anyone else get weird numbers for their subway/train station usage reports? On a very heavily used (the platform is literally packed with people waiting) train station, it'll sometimes look correct but also sometimes show 0 passengers served in the last week. Does this mean that there's some intermittent traffic issue that is rendering my trains unable to function for an entire week?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
gently caress SAKE I have to take a breather URGH I was DONE with the map. Saved it. Then there were TWO that showed up in the map files. Me being an idiot I decided to click delete on the duplicate, thinking I didn't want to want to have two in my list. WOOPS AFTER RESTARTING THE GAME NOW THERE ARE NONE :V

I have to redo the whole loving thing from the beta map. Someone shoot me. Fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Hunan/Yunnan themed map is coming along pretty well. :)

I think you might get an FPS hit due to ram usage, but I'm not sure about any major problems.

Oh god I want to build on this. I've loved seeing pictures of places like that since I was a kid and its on my bucket list to make it there sometime. So yeah, I want to pollute the hell out of it and turn it into gridlocked hell.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

StarMinstrel posted:

gently caress SAKE I have to take a breather URGH I was DONE with the map. Saved it. Then there were TWO that showed up in the map files. Me being an idiot I decided to click delete on the duplicate, thinking I didn't want to want to have two in my list. WOOPS AFTER RESTARTING THE GAME NOW THERE ARE NONE :V

I have to redo the whole loving thing from the beta map. Someone shoot me. Fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Wow, that loving sucks. Maybe take a break and do something else for a few hours. :smith:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Released my News Stand, feel free to sub if you enjoy small quirky buildings in your cities/towns!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412943185

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

The content manager interface is horrible and I hope they are changing it. Why do I have to back out of content manager, then load tools to edit an asset? Why isn't there just a drat load button right in the content editor. Also having separate names and asset names is...bad. I try to save WIP1, WIP2, etc versions, but I end up getting duplicate content errors because I didn't also change the asset name. I'm not all that pissed because I trust CO not to leave it like this, but the state it's in now is bad.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I was LITERALLY at the stage of "quickly testing in new game mode" then sharing on the workshop I'm so loving mad now. That's six hours of work down the drain because of a poo poo duplicate error of the interface I did not know about. OH WELL. Life is life, birds are chirping and what have you.

/edit
boy am I looking forward to flattening more terrain :D

/edit2
Me 5 mins ago : finally I get to play the map I'm making :V

Ok I'm off before I implode more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

StarMinstrel posted:

/edit
boy am I looking forward to flattening more terrain :D

I feel you.

The best part is waiting for your loving rivers to flow in REAL TIME in the map editor holy poo poo why.