Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tae posted:

Young characters like Rikku and Yuffie were the exception, not the norm.

Not in X. Oldest party member in that is Auron, who is 35. Even Kimahri is only 25. Everyone else is 23-15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
8, 9, and 10 all had protags that were 17/16. 8 literally takes place in a high school. 12 was an exception, admittedly.

perhaps it would have been more palatable for me to have said with protagonists in their 20s. it honestly doesn't matter and i don't have a greater point to all this, i was just making a little joke at square enix's expense, on the comedy website something awful dot com.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

your joke sucked

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

One of the first things you do in 7 is down some hard alcohol, it rules and is cool, for adults

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cake Attack posted:

your joke sucked

i should have known that mentioning cast age would bring out the fact checkers and fall on blind eyes. we were all 14-20 when those games came out, its ok guys. we can laugh about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not in X. Oldest party member in that is Auron, who is 35. Even Kimahri is only 25. Everyone else is 23-15.

Tidus and Yuna are 17, I had to look it up and I can't believe it because I thought they were in their mid-20s. Then again Tidus whines like a child sooo...

I'm pretty sure Cloud and Lightning are the oldest principal characters in the series at 21. They're also both 5'7".

I thought Cecil would be way older but no, he's 20 until The After Years.

Also I think Cecil is the tallest of the principal characters at 5'10"? All the Final Fantasy characters are really short. I know it's Japan but I thought they'd embellish the heights a little.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hubris.height posted:

i should have known that mentioning cast age would bring out the fact checkers and fall on blind eyes. we were all 14-20 when those games came out, its ok guys. we can laugh about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

al-azad posted:

Tidus and Yuna are 17, I had to look it up and I can't believe it because I thought they were in their mid-20s. Then again Tidus whines like a child sooo...

I'm pretty sure Cloud and Lightning are the oldest principal characters in the series at 21. They're also both 5'7".

Also I think Cecil is the tallest of the principal characters at 5'10"? All the Final Fantasy characters are really short. I know it's Japan but I thought they'd embellish the heights a little.

Ashe is 19, Balthier is 22??? The gently caress.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
5'10 is a giant to them, you can't really imagine 6'6 unless you're constantly around it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

It's not really a funny joke. v:shobon:v Like I literally can't even tell what the joke is. Even if you're trying to joke about FF characters being abnormally young, Fei is all of 18.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 23, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

It's pretty much a trend in Japanese games that the protagonists are younger than you would expect and/or the height and weights are all sorts of skewed.

Resident Evil, Jill is ex-Delta Force, and is all of 24 in the first game. Also 5'5" and 111 lbs, according to REmake. Chris was 25. Mega Man X, and admittedly they're robots, but X is only supposed to be like 5'3".

Another Square game, Chrono Cross, is all sorts of weird with heights and weight. Janice (the rabbit girl), is listed as 5'7" and 104 lbs. And her build is described as plumpish.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

al-azad posted:

Why are you white people so drat tall.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The ages and look/history of the characters in Japanese games never really match. Basically take how the character looks or how many years would be necessary to explain their past, subtract 5-10, that's probably what it says in the little booklet that came with the game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the joke is that squeenix has tropes

its not laugh out loud funny. mea culpa for giving them a soft ribbing.

e: tag is appropriate i guess

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

bloodychill posted:

The ages and look/history of the characters in Japanese games never really match. Basically take how the character looks or how many years would be necessary to explain their past, subtract 5-10, that's probably what it says in the little booklet that came with the game.
Also, the booklet will list every character's birthdate and blood type, as well as their measurements if female, because that's all vitally important information even if it never comes up at any point in the story, ever. Especially if their personalities don't even really match the blood type myths to begin with, making the information useless even as shorthand for their behavior.

Like seriously, why do I need to know that a certain character's birthday is October 17th? Is there some significance to that? Will the character have a birthday on that day in-game? Why the gently caress are you telling me about it then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe they just added it for fun? Jesus dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WHAT IS THIS HUMAN CONCEPT CALLED 'FUN...' BEBOOP... I AM A ROBOT THAT ONLY REQUIRES RELEVANT INFORMATION...

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

What's fun about knowing a fake person's birthday?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erebus posted:

it's fun if you're a wiki editor

or if you're into astrology

also my birthday is the same as sailor moon's and as a young endorph i spent like two days riding that high

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Erebus posted:

Hey, depending on the game, that could be crucial information!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

also my birthday is the same as sailor moon's and as a young endorph i spent like two days riding that high

lol

gonna spend the rest of your life chasing that dragon

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I heard a half-joking comment that Japanese characters often use the symbolism of the western zodiac instead of the eastern because everyone is born within the same few years anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erebus posted:

Astrological signs matter to people for whatever reason. Not even just in Japan.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm fine with stuff that matters but odds are if it matters it'll be in the game too since they're probably not expecting you to read the manual or some promotional materials to be aware of it. Also as has been noted the height/weight/age/measurements of most characters seem only distantly related to the way they're actually drawn or modeled.

Endorph posted:

That's different though because Sailor Moon is a real person and sharing a birthday with her makes you cool.

EDIT: It appears I was mistaken.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Erebus posted:

lol if you don't celebrate your waifu's birthday every year

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Strange Quark posted:

Low gravity.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I make sure to turn on Fire Emblem Awakening every time it is someone's birthday, to congratulate them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've played at least one game where the main twist was somewhat spoiled by not listing a character's blood type in the manual, while every other character got one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

lol

gonna spend the rest of your life chasing that dragon
what are you implying about the relationship between me and usagi tsukino

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Nakar posted:

That's different though because Sailor Moon is a real person and sharing a birthday with her makes you cool.

EDIT: It appears I was mistaken.

It's true I saw her on TV

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've played at least one game where the main twist was somewhat spoiled by not listing a character's blood type in the manual, while every other character got one.

Speaking of manual spoilers, don't read the cast credits in Catherine's manual!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Strange Quark posted:

Milk.

Wait, that might actually be the answer.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

what are you implying about the relationship between me and usagi tsukino

its like the birthday equivalent of the first time you encounter masa and mune in chrono trigger and you're like 'woha #wow'

or something

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Erebus posted:

It's extra color in the world. It's a little bit of trivia you can make note of and sometimes it leads to amusing coincidences like Endorph and Sailor Moon.

The real question is why shouldn't they have birthdays?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It'd be cool to have it come up in a conversation or something that's actually in the game, is the thing. There's plenty of fictional characters who reveal little details about themselves like their birthdays or whatever. Putting it in the manual or a booklet but nowhere else is just the most lazy way to fake character. Imagine somebody has "DISLIKES: Cats" in their manual profile and then at no point in the entire game do they encounter a cat or talk about cats (or worse, they do encounter cat-like enemies and don't react to this). Like okay great, he doesn't like cats, but is there a reason he doesn't like cats? Is it a pathological fear, a general revulsion, a righteous anger, a PTSD-laden trauma trigger? Is his reason really stupid and funny, and how would other characters react to that?

Outside of skits in Tales games I don't see that explored too much, and it's a lot more useful to the character to have them actually explain these quirks about themselves rather than a paragraph telling us they exist with no evidence in support of it. If you're not even going to put in a tiny bit of effort to connect those details to the story then nobody actually gains anything from knowing about them.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if i paypal you the money will you hire a lady of the night to poo poo in your mouth, so that you can taste what the rest of us have just read

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I imagine most of that stuff is just thrown in by devs and producers having fun during downtime or letting off steam.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Final Fantasy Tactics had characters age a year in their bios every time you passed their birthdays. So you could totally have the "child" prince Orinas be like 30 years old if you wasted enough time, and have T.G. Cid join your team when he's 102 years old.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hubris.height posted:

if i paypal you the money will you hire a lady of the night to poo poo in your mouth, so that you can taste what the rest of us have just read

If I read a character's profile in an instruction booklet and it said he once paid (or habitually pays) a chick to poo poo in his mouth, he would always be in my party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Schwartzcough posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics had characters age a year in their bios every time you passed their birthdays. So you could totally have the "child" prince Orinas be like 30 years old if you wasted enough time, and have T.G. Cid join your team when he's 102 years old.
In Ogre Battle 64 if you wander around the map farming birthday gifts until you're 99 years old everyone makes fun of you for wasting so much time at the last birthday party.