Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
In defense of that article, I listened to the SXSW episode and if that was my first exposure to Harmontown, I'd probably have the same reaction. Hell, I've listened to every episode and this one ranks among the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I think I am alone, but I didn't hate the SXSW episode.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brocktoon posted:

In defense of that article, I listened to the SXSW episode and if that was my first exposure to Harmontown, I'd probably have the same reaction. Hell, I've listened to every episode and this one ranks among the worst.

Now i haven't listened to it in full yet but saying it's in the same league as morality is a fuckin' stretch

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Foma posted:

I think I am alone, but I didn't hate the SXSW episode.

You weren't alone.

I will say this, though: it was fun to listen to in parts, but Harmon was really pushing it with raps and songs that went on for way too long. Not exactly unheard of, but easy to skip past. Otherwise, it was the wrong crowd, wrong venue, etc etc. A lot of people there to talk about Community, some there for Harmontown, a lot of people at the bar. It fit more of a convention motif, which is definitely not the vibe of the show in general.

To be honest, I don't miss the raps. I skipped those on audio files on a regular basis and just listened to the banter. I hate to echo the killjoy in the article, but there's only so much 'gently caress your momma' you can hear before it turns into second-hand embarrassment.

edit: wording

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 19, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's like watching SNL bring out a recurring skit for the 50th time.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
My name is MC John. I'm here to mow the lawn.
Beep beep! Toot toot!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Now i haven't listened to it in full yet but saying it's in the same league as morality is a fuckin' stretch

Morality is in a league all it's own. Hell, it's not even the same sport.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Brocktoon posted:

Morality is in a league all it's own. Hell, it's not even the same sport.

I agree.

Morality is a show that Dan completely derailed into a terrible drunken conversation about issues, but this episode was ruined by a terrible venue and a rowdy, disruptive crowd. After this one, I may just skip every SXSW Harmontown from now on.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zsinjeh posted:

My name is MC John. I'm here to mow the lawn.
Beep beep! Toot toot!

Put the laundry in the basket and the basket in the chute!

(That's a big laundry chute!)

By the way, it looks like the MP3 version of each episode does go up at the same time as the video version and neither one is actually behind the paywall, if you guess the URL correctly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CPColin posted:

Put the laundry in the basket and the basket in the chute!

(That's a big laundry chute!)

By the way, it looks like the MP3 version of each episode does go up at the same time as the video version and neither one is actually behind the paywall, if you guess the URL correctly.
God drat I love this incompetent shitbaby

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Action Man posted:

I agree.

Morality is a show that Dan completely derailed into a terrible drunken conversation about issues, but this episode was ruined by a terrible venue and a rowdy, disruptive crowd. After this one, I may just skip every SXSW Harmontown from now on.

my favorite part of morality, and the only funny part of it (if unintentional) is dustin marshall's super unbelievably passive-aggressive deck for the episode

Morality posted:

Mayor Harmon tries to examine our ethical boundaries, but when that sounds too much like going to bat for pedophiles, everyone starts high fiving themselves for not wanting to do it with babies

:thumbsup: good job, dustin

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I swear I don't remember Morality being THAT bad, certainly more original than some of the shittier stops on the first tour (looking at you, Kansas City). Going to go re-listen because it's somehow so horrible that we're all still bitching about it a year and a half later, so maybe I listened to it drunk and forgot it was ear poison? Might liveblog in edits if the notion takes me.

1:00 - "record-low turnout," unsure if because of entropy or premiere of Breaking Bad. Foreshadowing!
3:30 - talking about how people will who didn't show up will regret it on their dying days. Funny in retrospect.
8:00 - Harmon drops a 2-minute build-up to yell at Goldberg for eating chips. Actually pretty funny.
11:00 - jumping right into the morality discussion. Science is Harmon's choice of religion, but science can't tell us morality. Capitalism by itself is not sufficient in ensuring we preserve our humanity. OK.
14:00 - Beef Fungus / Steak Bill takes the stage. He says that our ability to choose is fundamental to our humanity. Dan relates it to theology, eating the apple, etc. Implications in nature.
17:00 - for Beef Fungus Bill, 2 pillars of morality are empathy and reciprocity. They break down both words. Somewhat dry but not a terrible lay philosophical discussion. "You Might Be Autistic" a la Jeff Foxworthy is momentarily funny. Bill steps down at 22:30.
23:45 - Kumail takes the stage. So far, so good! Kumail jumps right in with his catch-all definition of humanity, which is "whatever you need to fit in to a society." Society's rules generally reinforce behavior that keeps propagating the human race, like loving people of mating age rather than kids. OK, now we're about to get into the heavy pedophile discussion.
28:00 - Short detour into culture, then into race/culture.
32:00 - they get back to pedophilia and Adam threatens to storm the stage, then finally goes ahead and does. Comedy gold no doubt ensues!
34:00 - Adam makes a point about hierarchy and they talk about that and anarchy, then for some reason they shift over to talking about ambition.
39:00 - Dan moves it back to handling the problem of pedophilia - what do we do with these people? When pressed by Jeff for a proposal, he says "I propose we stop proposing," which encapsulates what he wants to get out of the discussion, I think. The problem, Dan seems to be saying, is that the maintenance of polite society is requiring us to push more and more people out of it, as evidenced by our bulging prison systems.
42:30 - Lauren from the audience is brought on stage, and Spencer is brought up to make Adam leave when Adam tries to take Spencer's spot. Lauren studied gender and sexuality in Amsterdam and actually interviewed pedophiles! Closest they could get to a pedophile expert, pretty cool.
45:30 - After Lauren describes how pedophiles have to struggle with their urges (comparision to alcoholism), Kumail asks Dan what his issue is with how pedophiles are treated. Dan starts coming from the side of weird sexual fetishes, how we still shame people who want to are into x or y. Kumail says well, that's different, there's no victim involved.
49:00 - ?? comes up to discuss the issue of consent. Dan begins saying that looking at material on the internet doesn't make someone a monster, then realizes that he's "dangerously close" to supporting pedophiles and comes at it from a different angle, saying that with virtual reality in 30 years we could all be octopi loving the neighbor's dog. He decides what he's trying to get at is that whatever lines we draw are going to be messy, like today with people who drunkenly expose themselves getting branded as sex offenders for the rest of their lives. On the funny side, Kumail has a really good "Kidsey scale" quip.
57:00 - Poopy sex! Dan, Kumail, and unnamed audience member Kelly are all on the sex-positive side, with Jeff firmly against people pooping on each other. Good times.
61:00 - Kelly leaves the stage. Spencer now pushes Dan for a proposed solution; Dan says he's not here to propose solutions, and that "kicking the walls" is good. Is kicking all walls good? What about the murder wall? Dan sticks to his guns and invites anyone to come up from the audience and kill him. Gasps but no murderer.
65:10 - Lauren leaves the stage. Dan says the recent on-stage contention is evidence we need to evolve in our thinking. Kumail is unconvinced.
66:40 - Laura (not Lauren) comes on stage to raise the issue of chemical castration. Dan goes straight to Erin being stressed over having to castrate their dog Harvey. So?
69:00 - everyone agrees forced chemical castration is bad. So what then? Kumail says prison is best option; Jeff favors rehabilitation and community engagement, whatever that would entail.
75:00 - Prison reform. But we can't reform (most) pedophiles to not want to gently caress kids, so it doesn't matter! Everyone gets frustrated with Dan for not suggesting anything; he says the point is that the walls we're putting up won't work in the future.
79:00 - Jeff takes the lead and, as he's about to turn 40, questions whether it's even possible to consciously change society (hence the need for the moon colony).
81:50 - Dan counters (and agrees) by talking about how we co-opt the revolutionary spirit of youth by pushing it into acceptable avenues - the military, higher education, down to the way we treat each other. "Fighting for the tribe, instead of fighting against it." He gets into his element and says some provocative poo poo about youth and aging, and I remember why his philosophical ramblings are usually worth the time to sift through. Dan says the crime of the walls is in dehumanizing, rather than attempting to understand, people like pedophiles.
86:00 wall is a bad metaphor and keeps confusing things because they don't actually keep people from doing antying, but let's keep saying wall for another minute or so. They finally settle on barrier as a better descriptor just in time to try to end the discussion to go to D&D.
88:30 - Kumail's wife Emily comes up, but since she's an actual mental health professional, they ask her to add her piece. She talks about the necessity of empathy, even dealing with predators.
90:00 - OK, so everyone can agree that actual child molesters should go to jail, but what about viewing it on the internet? Dan starts to compare to thoughtcrime, but Kumail brings up financial support. Dan compares to taxes paying for bombs; Kumail objects.
92:00 - "gently caress one kid, do your bid!" Will be Dan Harmon's motto if he runs for office.
93:00 - Emily makes a joke causing Kumail to insist that he in fact does not gently caress kids. Jeff finally comptrolls them onward by simply yelling "DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!!"
95:00 - Kumail tells a "palate-cleanser" story about his parents to make the segue to D&D less awkward. It works!
100:00 - Spencer finally is able to do the recap with 10 minutes remaining. They move from statues to chains as lava starts to fill the room, then Breffy attacks! That's all they can do in the 9 remaining minutes.
110:00 Xanadu and we are outta here! I miss Xanadu.

I remain firm in my assertion that this is nowhere near the worst episode. If you hate philosophical discussions, it probably could be the worst, but you know what this had 0 seconds of? Rapping. It was all discussion, very light on the improv comedy, and for me, that's OK. If you care about social theory (I thought back to reading Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish in college), you might even fight it cool that they're even trying to discuss these thorny issues. I can only imagine that anyone who sees this as the worst probably didn't slog through every minute of every single tour episode, because for every good one of those there was one less interesting than this show. //effortpost

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 24, 2015

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I think the worst episode was probably one of the tour episodes. They all kinda blend together in my mind. Whichever one had the most rapping was the worst.
The SXSW one was really bad though. I wonder if any of the people who poo poo all over the negative review have since realized that they should have listened to it first.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

MY ABACUS! posted:

I think the worst episode was probably one of the tour episodes. They all kinda blend together in my mind. Whichever one had the most rapping was the worst.
The SXSW one was really bad though. I wonder if any of the people who poo poo all over the negative review have since realized that they should have listened to it first.

'Didn't hate' is a long ways away from 'it was p. good.'

I listen to this podcast while I'm drawing or at work, and I will say that this, like the tour episodes, I skipped a lot of on account of the dumb musical bits. Still, I think the reviewer (and the attending audience) weren't really that attuned to Harmontown, and were there for it as if it were just another panel at a big convention. It did screw with the general pacing, and there have been good SXSW 'casts before. I think the one where they talked about the film was one of them? That was fairly entertaining.

As for Morality, beyond Dan being generally bitey about everything for who knows what reason, I think the fact that he fell into 'belligerent drunk' mode over something other than D&D made it really difficult to listen to. He talked over people more than usual, tried to pontificate, and in the end it was just some weird metaphor for excusing bad behaviour. Not exactly beyond his usual schtick, but it was really unpleasant, no matter how many salient points he happened to fall on in the midst of all that rambling.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The documentary really hammered in the difference in serious Harmontown fans for me. I think Dan Harmon is an entertaining drunk doofus. I used to think more of him, but after so many years of paying attention he's not some brilliant auteur. I think he's a funny guy but the adoration the film pores on him from the fans rubbed me the wrong way. I get why it goes with narrative it does, but it just made me sad for the people that idolize the guy.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 25, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I remember those chips! They weren't good, but they were impossible to stop eating.

The problem with morality isn't that it kind of goes into itself, over and over. It was only after the show that people figured hey, Dan isn't going on about pedophiles. He's afraid that something out of his control (genetics, brain injury) will make him a bad person (uncontrollable alcoholism).

Unfortunately, his argument isn't "I'm afraid something out of my control will make me a bad person."
It's "I don't know...I propose we stop proposing", which instead of leading to a topic change (the way it kind of worked in Tyler Perry's Antisemitic Pickle Ziggurat), led to thousands of people telling him why his argument is wrong.

It's two hours of the joke where the guy is escaping a flood and god sends the lifeguard, the boat, the helicopter....

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Incoming high girl on shadowrun! (it sucks)

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
After the SXSW episode I haven't listened.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I thought Julie the high girl was adorable, even if she brought Shadowrun to a screeching halt. Most Minecraft-y episode yet, I think, good stuff. I would watch the 9/11 jeans movie they spent like 20 minutes writing, even if it kind of falls apart in the third act.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

JesusFists posted:

I thought Julie the high girl was adorable, even if she brought Shadowrun to a screeching halt. Most Minecraft-y episode yet, I think, good stuff. I would watch the 9/11 jeans movie they spent like 20 minutes writing, even if it kind of falls apart in the third act.
Yeah Julie was hilarious, though I guess if you're one of those people that get upset no actual gaming is done in Shadowrun you're going to be upset. She has a great laugh.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Northeast Ohio represent

radlum
May 13, 2013
I hope Dan forgets the 9:11 thing soon, it is never funny nor amusing. Also, I like regular Harmontown Spencer a lot more than tour Spencer.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

radlum posted:

I hope Dan forgets the 9:11 thing soon, it is never funny nor amusing. Also, I like regular Harmontown Spencer a lot more than tour Spencer.

Redenimtion is going to be a great movie at least for the beginning part.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I would totally listen to a weekly podcast of Jeff asking Dan about Minecraft.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kind of thought my call out would be better. Now it seems like I'll be namedropped on Harmontown forever for doing anything.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Kind of thought my call out would be better. Now it seems like I'll be namedropped on Harmontown forever for doing anything.
Yea, rip man. I was bummed out about it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

You should return to it via some kind of fan-man-like publicity stunt.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cerepol posted:

Redenimtion is going to be a great movie at least for the beginning part.

Yeah, I should have waited until this week's episode before posting that. Segment redeemed, for now

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think the think I'll miss most is Kumail's unrestrained hatred for Adam.

Episode 61 @ 54:00:

Erin: Adam is a controversial Harmontown audience member...
Adam: Lightning rod.
Kumail: "Lightning rod" is weird, because it's not the rod's fault that it's happening.

(A couple minutes later is when Dan comes up with, "Adam's jokes land on the downbeat.")

CPColin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 3, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm partial to Rob Schrabs terror death-scream "Nooooo!" when Adam runs towards the stage as if he's about to detonate a suicide vest

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm at harmontown right now

There's a dude in a bunny outfit

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have taken a picture with bunny man

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cool man. Can you tell him to be nicer to Adam and that Lena Dunham is a molestor and he souls rethink his support for her?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

KoRMaK posted:

Cool man. Can you tell him to be nicer to Adam and that Lena Dunham is a molestor and he souls rethink his support for her?

I don't think it was dan

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I don't think it was dan

He needs to be told anyway

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011

*Once again I am proven to be incompetent.

Mark David Chapman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 8, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mark David Chapman posted:

I think they changed how they name the :filez: for the audio versions. The last few episodes, specifically 140 and 141, are named differently and have random numbers for the file. Bummer, I guess I'll just have to download the Video ones instead.

http://download.harmontown.com/video/harmontown-2015-04-05-audio.mp3

DIFFERENT AND RANDOM

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have basically no interest in seeing the video for the podcast, but when they started streaming it, I thought, fine, whatever. But now that we know that the audio file is done at exactly the same time as the video and they just wait a couple days to release it... That's sketchy.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rochallor posted:

I have basically no interest in seeing the video for the podcast, but when they started streaming it, I thought, fine, whatever. But now that we know that the audio file is done at exactly the same time as the video and they just wait a couple days to release it... That's sketchy.

You can accuse the show of a lot of things, but being sketchy really isn't one of them. They were pretty forthcoming about the subscription fees being largely for the people that work for the podcast.

The audio files are released to the public on Wednesday, if I'm not mistaken? The official ones, anyway. The 'if you don't feel like paying but want to hear it sooner rather than later' loophole was mentioned several posts ago. Someone should point it out to the guys who are uploading it, because it's a hell of a loophole.

Either way, no, they're not trying to skeeze you out of your sweet internet dollars. They're trying to pay the staff that have been working for them for a long time via subscription fees. Posting the direct links (if they're unprotected) is basically :filez:

EDIT: Also, jesus christ, it's posted for free not that long after the initial stream. What the hell is your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

On top of that, it's not like anyone is having to wait any longer to listen to the podcast than they used to. It's still a new episode every 7 days.

And people that whine about not having it available to listen to on their daily commute from the start of the work week, who cares. Instead of listening to an episode Monday to Friday you now listen to it Thursday to Wednesday. You're still daily dosing on Harmon.