Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Maybe if they carefully restricted voice-chat to people in your friends list or something?

That's what I (and others) were talking about... a party app or system tool that allows you to voice chat with friends system wide, regardless of what game you may or may not be playing. That kind of functionality is much, much better than any game-based voice solution since, unless you're a child, you likely have no desire to talk to people who you don't already know when playing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Neo Rasa posted:

That's crazy I had no idea FFXIV was so big.

It isn't. It has over 4 million accounts including net cafe players in China and Korea. According to a recent financial report the total subscriber base of Square-Enix's MMOs (FFXI, DQX, FFXIV) is under one million.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

That's crazy I had no idea FFXIV was so big. I guess basically redoing the entire game feom the ground up was a good idea after all. The first version of it, oh man :laffo:

I played it originally at release because the small goon following was very dedicated and real chill, but we were all agreement that we were playing a bad game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there's a game balance issue to voice chat you're ignoring. Some people prefer not to use voice chat, and their teams and squads will be at a disadvantage versus those teams where everyone is using it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

greatn posted:

I think there's a game balance issue to voice chat you're ignoring. Some people prefer not to use voice chat, and their teams and squads will be at a disadvantage versus those teams where everyone is using it.

This is like saying if you play smash online you should be restricted to Wiimote only no nunchuk because some people like to play that way and it's unfair to play against them with a pro controller

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I remember reading the Splatoon devs talking about the voice chat option some time ago: They thought about including it but eventually decided to drop it because they said something in the effect of the game being too hectic.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

That's what I (and others) were talking about... a party app or system tool that allows you to voice chat with friends system wide, regardless of what game you may or may not be playing. That kind of functionality is much, much better than any game-based voice solution since, unless you're a child, you likely have no desire to talk to people who you don't already know when playing games.

Ah, yeah- may as well be from the 25th Century as long as we're talking about Nintendo. Unless they have some big E3 reveal or something I wouldn't count on it any time soon, ha ha.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Smash isn't a team based game, someone controller choices are only reflective on them. There is team online mode, but controller choices isn't a primary factor in who wins, compared to one team in an online team shooter using teamspeak vs a team that isn't.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No rando's voice shall breach the walls of my home.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

Smash isn't a team based game, someone controller choices are only reflective on them. There is team online mode, but controller choices isn't a primary factor in who wins, compared to one team in an online team shooter using teamspeak vs a team that isn't.

I'll be damned if I lose to a mother fucker with a Wiimote.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I personally don't like using voice chat, and I don't want to deal with obnoxious twelve year olds who need to shut up voice chatting at me, so I'm perfectly fine with Splatoon not including it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Trasson posted:

I personally don't like using voice chat, and I don't want to deal with obnoxious twelve year olds who need to shut up voice chatting at me, so I'm perfectly fine with Splatoon not including it.

They could easily have put in the option to mute players or even have everyone muted by default. Not having it at all is a bad decision.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trasson posted:

Ah yes, you don't like voicechat so don't even include it as an option. :waycool:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ah yes, you don't like voicechat so don't even include it as an option. :waycool:

That's hardly what I said at all. Like I said, I don't want to use it or deal with people who shouldn't be using it doing so, so I'm not bugged it's not in. If it were in, I wouldn't be bothered either, because then I just wouldn't be using it.

Continuing the Wiimote in Smash comparison above, it's like if Smash 4 didn't include using it as an option. I imagine a good deal of you wouldn't care, because it doesn't affect you. Same thing here.

Now, if I were making the game myself, would I include voice chat? Outside of logistical concerns, yeah. It's a standard thing for action multiplayer games, Splatoon shouldn't be any different. For my own enjoyment though, I don't really care that it's not in.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
How taxing is it for the system, because I remember Sakurai saying something like voice chat in Smash was only pre- and post-battle because keeping it mid-match would introduce lag.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's clearly not an os or hardware level function. I wonder if it is in PS3 and 360 and that's why games just have effortless voice chat.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I'm legitimately surprised that, even with Nintendo being stuck in 1984, there's not a standalone chat app that can be carried over into games kinda like how Xbox Live parties worked. I guess I'm not really surprised as much as I am wishful.

Yep this is why the Wii mic that I got with Animal Crossing City Folk is just seating there being useless, one day hoping I can use it again.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Ultigonio posted:

Splatoon has been confirmed to not have any voice chat.

In addition, a brief gameplay video showing the game's single-player campaign has come out, along with a video showcasing the Splat Zones game mode, which appears to be a king-of-the-hill-esque battle type.

Uggggh I cannot wait for Splatoon.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Speak of the devil, I was just bitching about this yesterday and now all this Splatoon info pops up.

Game Explain apparently got to play Splatoon, they posted their preview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqlN5fIvi0 They said that we're apparently going to all level up in multiplayer mode. Nintendo will only be opening up Splat Zone mode worldwide when enough players rank level 10, and even then, you'll still need to be level 10 to access it.

Also, re: voice chat, I don't ever use voice chat because I'm a girl. I could be standing on a pile of dead bodies that I personally murdered, and some dipshit twelve year old could still call me something unrepeatable. I don't see the lack of voice chat as a negative.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Girls don't play games, so please stop lying.

Part of me wonders what will, functionality wise, make Splatoon not end up like de Blob. Similar concepts, colorful etc, but I honestly don't understand the immense draw in to Splatoon. I'll still end up getting it because I'm desperate for a decent FPS-like game and one made by Nintendo should be rad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah there have been a bunch of Splatoon previews posted today and they all seem to say it's super fun, (Even the single player stuff is supposedly pretty decent) I can't wait

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133298-splatoon-in-depth-preview-by-jove-nintendo-you-ve-only-gone-and-done-it-again

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Uggggh I cannot wait for Splatoon.

I was just mildly interested when it was announced at E3, and thought it was definitely a cool idea for Nintendo, but wasn't planning on buying it. The way it's shaped up since then, with all the publicity of its style and character, has turned it into a must buy for me. It's striking me as a Modnation Racers/Jet Set Radio mashup, which were two awesome games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bean posted:

Speak of the devil, I was just bitching about this yesterday and now all this Splatoon info pops up.

Game Explain apparently got to play Splatoon, they posted their preview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqlN5fIvi0 They said that we're apparently going to all level up in multiplayer mode. Nintendo will only be opening up Splat Zone mode worldwide when enough players rank level 10, and even then, you'll still need to be level 10 to access it.

Also, re: voice chat, I don't ever use voice chat because I'm a girl. I could be standing on a pile of dead bodies that I personally murdered, and some dipshit twelve year old could still call me something unrepeatable. I don't see the lack of voice chat as a negative.

I have the same issue. Well.. that and I just don't want to listen to little kids scream obscenities and racial slurs at top volume. Unless I'm playing with people I know, I would just not use voice chat. To do otherwise invites getting creeped on as well, and who needs that?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Girls don't play games, so please stop lying.

Part of me wonders what will, functionality wise, make Splatoon not end up like de Blob. Similar concepts, colorful etc, but I honestly don't understand the immense draw in to Splatoon. I'll still end up getting it because I'm desperate for a decent FPS-like game and one made by Nintendo should be rad.
de Blob made you flick the remote to jump so it was pretty loving awkward

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zenintrude posted:

Does Wii U have a PS4-esque party chat feature? If so, that would be enough for me... better, probably.

Ventrilo is a good substitute, and you can put it on phones and tablets.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Link to the official splatoon site: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/

The only aspect of this game that doesn't appeal to me, quite dramatically, is the costume stuff. I don't need to personalise my avatar. I'll put a hat and pants on but I'm not going to care if I have one hat or one pants rather than another. And it seems like Nintendo disagrees, clothing is extremely important for some reason.

Unless clothing is going to give me a significant set of different attributes it just seems flimsy and farmvilleish. The game is without doubt a must buy but they're marketing it to someone other than me.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

a decent FPS-like game

also known as a third person shooter

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Who the gently caress doesn't like to customize their character. I'm pretty sure messing around with cute video game outfits is a primal human instinct.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AH yes, farmville, inventor of wearing more than one outfit

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Supercar Gautier posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't like to customize their character. I'm pretty sure messing around with cute video game outfits is a primal human instinct.

I loathe it. I don't want to do the character designer's work for them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I like my videogame outfits to be made of visible parts from other living creatures

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

less laughter posted:

I loathe it. I don't want to do the character designer's work for them.
They did do the work, by designing the outfits and then having them modelled

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I don't like it because I'm a robot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Quest For Glory II posted:

They did do the work, by designing the outfits and then having them modelled

Assembling them still feels like work, not like fun gameplay.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dont even know how you guys made it to the main menu after buying the system without realizing you'd have to make a Mii, thus returning your Wii U to the store in disgust at Nintendo's flimsy farmvillery

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What an odd thing to complain about

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I dont even know how you guys made it to the main menu after buying the system without realizing you'd have to make a Mii, thus returning your Wii U to the store in disgust at Nintendo's flimsy farmvillery

It lets you take a picture and generates a mii based off of your portrait.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

sucka

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

I almost did that thb. It was a disgusting experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Wii-U game that everyone has been waiting for!

• Locked thread