Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I've had a 24-105mm L Lens for about 8-9 years and recently, it began to freak out in liveview.
This is my main lens for video, I shoot timelapse and use Liveview a bit.

When I was using it in Live View mode, it was constantly changing the exposure/brightness rapidly - if I had to guess, it looked like the F-stop is changing randomly without touching the settings.

I put the lens on another camera, put it back on mine and the same thing.
Anyway, I plug it back on my body today and it seems perfectly fine. I have no idea what the hell happened.

Anyone ever had similar?
Thinking of getting it service on Monday just in case it randomly comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Clean the electrical contacts on the lens.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was at the dog park today, with my 6D + 24-105. And decided to shoot AI Servo which I have never really done before.

It worked pretty well. I noticed some instances where it sounded like the shutter speed slowed to something like 1/100 when I was shooting 1/500. Which kind of worried me.

Battery was at 75-50%. Was using center point focus. Image stabilization was on. Wasn't shooting burst.

Is this just a thing that happens in AI Servo? I'm not sure how to google this.

EDIT: Testing in my bedroom, seems to happen while i'm still focusing (back button focus) and dragging the camera.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2015

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

iSheep posted:

I was at the dog park today, with my 6D + 24-105. And decided to shoot AI Servo which I have never really done before.

It worked pretty well. I noticed some instances where it sounded like the shutter speed slowed to something like 1/100 when I was shooting 1/500. Which kind of worried me.

Battery was at 75-50%. Was using center point focus. Image stabilization was on. Wasn't shooting burst.

Is this just a thing that happens in AI Servo? I'm not sure how to google this.

EDIT: Testing in my bedroom, seems to happen while i'm still focusing (back button focus) and dragging the camera.

Are the photos overexposed when it sounds like that? If not, and there aren't any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it personally.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They don't appear to be, they don't appear to be blurry either. Just kind of a weird thing, wondering if the camera is just smarter than me and knows what its doing or its making GBS threads itself due to not really being built for the task.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

iSheep posted:

or its making GBS threads itself due to not really being built for the task.

Doubting that. Probably just trying to continue focusing up until the shutter release. There are options for prioritizing focus lock vs shutter release when shooting in servo.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Is it the actual shutter noise that sounds like it takes longer, or is it the focusing mechanism?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The actual shutter noise/mirror.

EDIT: Just tested with my T2i and it does the same thing. So I guess its just a normal thing.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 22, 2015

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Clean the electrical contacts on the lens.

Hadn't thought of this-thanks!

What's the best way to do this?
Some people are saying don't use swabs but to use isopropyl alcohol and a cloth.

Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah pieces of cotton swab might come off and get lodged somewhere, a cloth soaked in alcohol is much safer and easier to deal with.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Preferably whisky. There are whiskies especially made for photography equipment, but they are more expensive than 18 year old single malt scotch, even though they are 3 year whiskies. But at least, if you pay the price for photography whisky, you know you're using the right stuff.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

Yeah pieces of cotton swab might come off and get lodged somewhere, a cloth soaked in alcohol is much safer and easier to deal with.

Thanks a heap.
Interestingly, cleaned them and I think it's internal damage. 24mm end works fine, switching to any other focal length higher causes an error saying there is an error communicating between the lens and body and to clean contacts. Tried a few times to clean.

Well, off to the repair shop for me. poo poo happens I guess.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

KinkyJohn posted:

Preferably whisky. There are whiskies especially made for photography equipment, but they are more expensive than 18 year old single malt scotch, even though they are 3 year whiskies. But at least, if you pay the price for photography whisky, you know you're using the right stuff.

This is a real funny post, and to the dude who reported it (not gonna name & shame or anything), y'all narrowly avoided a reversal of fortune for reporting a post that funny.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fo shame

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Yea, that post was so funny I nearly cleaned my keyboard!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

n0n0 posted:

I'm in the market for a new lens. My currently most-used lens is a very old Tamron 28-75 f2.8, which I've been very happy with, and I'll be selling soon...

My main complaint about it is focusing speed, and I'd like to purchase a lens with better focusing speed. Currently, I'm trying to decide between a used Canon 28-70 f2.8L, or the newish Tamron 24-70 F2.8. The price difference, used, between the two lenses, is about $200 or $300 depending on the quality rating on KEH, with the Tamron being the more expensive option.

Is there going to be a huge focusing speed difference between the Canon 28-70 and the Tamron 24-70? The extra 4mm doesn't make a huge difference to me.

The new Tamron is very nice, and the IS on it is awesome. You can usually find grey market ones from CDN sellers very cheap in the US right now, and a lot of them come with a long term third party warranty to cover the fact that they are grey market. I got mine for sub 700, with a 10 year mack warranty on it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

SoundMonkey posted:

This is a real funny post, and to the dude who reported it (not gonna name & shame or anything), y'all narrowly avoided a reversal of fortune for reporting a post that funny.

Whoever you are, you should self-probate for a week in shame (and get a sense of humour).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rolleyes posted:

Whoever you are, you should self-probate for a week in shame (and get a sense of humour).

Dude's not wrong though, 12-year-aged whisky is about the right vintage for a Canon sensor.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

timrenzi574 posted:

The new Tamron is very nice, and the IS on it is awesome. You can usually find grey market ones from CDN sellers very cheap in the US right now, and a lot of them come with a long term third party warranty to cover the fact that they are grey market. I got mine for sub 700, with a 10 year mack warranty on it.
I stumbled across a deal on a Canon 28-70 F2.8 for $425 and it was just too much of a great deal to pass up. The body is a little scuffed up but it works flawlessly. The Tamron looks like a better lens all around, but I'm on a pretty tight budget.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

SoundMonkey posted:

Dude's not wrong though, 12-year-aged whisky is about the right vintage for a Canon sensor.

Reported for canon-shaming

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Somebody nearby is selling a 5Dc on CG for...$120??

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seamonster posted:

Buy it. You have two good kidneys, just in case, right?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Seamonster posted:

Buy that poo poo and Dremel the serial number off it immediately.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I know this is the Canon thread but on the topic of insane craigslist ads, I saw somebody *giving away* a Nikon D810 a couple weeks ago. They had a picture of said camera w/ box, so I knew it wasn't a typo. The ad was updated to "pending" within minutes, and then removed soon afterward.

I couldn't imagine what kind of scam they were trying to run, if any. I thought maybe it was a crazy person trying to get rid of their ex's poo poo after a bad breakup.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
A few weeks ago I ran across a Craigslist ad for a Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s for $30. Emailed the guy, and he said it was already sold. Now, of course, there's another guy on Craigslist selling the same lens (that I'm sure is the same lens) for $500.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Man, all I ever see on my Craigslist are people selling 4+ year old entry-level bodies at 4+ year old retail prices.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

dakana posted:

Man, all I ever see on my Craigslist are people selling 4+ year old entry-level bodies at 4+ year old retail prices.

Guess I know what to do with my 60D.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
My friend lent me his 4K worth of 5D III and lens combo yesterday to "figure out how to use it for me". Having used a D80 for everything since 2007 this thing was a bit overwhelming at first. I eventually figured out the essentials and got some supremely awesome pictures of my cats.

I swapped in my eye-fi card and found the menu section where I "enabled" the card. The info section briefly showed the connection to the card and I went to my eye to phone app to see what would come down the pipe. Nothing. And ever since I cannot get the card to make a connection. Time out on the camera is/was set to 30 mins so I don't think that was the problem. Wot gives?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

rear end is my canvas posted:

My friend lent me his 4K worth of 5D III and lens combo yesterday to "figure out how to use it for me". Having used a D80 for everything since 2007 this thing was a bit overwhelming at first. I eventually figured out the essentials and got some supremely awesome pictures of my cats.

I swapped in my eye-fi card and found the menu section where I "enabled" the card. The info section briefly showed the connection to the card and I went to my eye to phone app to see what would come down the pipe. Nothing. And ever since I cannot get the card to make a connection. Time out on the camera is/was set to 30 mins so I don't think that was the problem. Wot gives?

Are you trying to transfer jpgs from the 5DIII to your phone using the Canon Wifi app and the wifi SD card?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

mrlego posted:

Are you trying to transfer jpgs from the 5DIII to your phone using the Canon Wifi app and the wifi SD card?

Ah... I see where you may be going and I just realized that yes, the camera might be set to generate RAW only.

Also is there a specific Canon app I need to use? I assumed the card would communicate with its own app which I already have installed.

Edit- *changes settings to add jpg, watches picture roll into phone* ohhh... I always have my own camera set to do raw+jpg so I never took into consideration this one might be set up differently. Thank you so much.

ass is my canvas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 29, 2015

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I've been meeting with a few different wedding photographers for my upcoming wedding, and one of them uses a 6D along with the usual primes and zooms. This detail stuck out a bit, since the other Canon photographers I met all used a 5DIII. She specifically mentioned that she used to have a 5DIII too, until she switched to a 6D, preferring the lighter weight.

Is this something I should be concerned about at all, or is it a totally reasonable thing to do for a pro photographer who has to do a lot of moving around every weekend?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I would worry less about what gear your wedding photographer is carrying and worry more about the quality of their work.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

TheEye posted:

I've been meeting with a few different wedding photographers for my upcoming wedding, and one of them uses a 6D along with the usual primes and zooms. This detail stuck out a bit, since the other Canon photographers I met all used a 5DIII. She specifically mentioned that she used to have a 5DIII too, until she switched to a 6D, preferring the lighter weight.

Is this something I should be concerned about at all, or is it a totally reasonable thing to do for a pro photographer who has to do a lot of moving around every weekend?
This is the absolute least thing you should ever be worried about. Plenty of absolutely terrible photographers can throw down $5k on gear and start their own "business".

Check the work. Check the price. Don't worry about anything else.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yes, I'm obviously concerned with the work and the the price. It just seemed weird to me that a pro would switch from a 5DIII to a 6D, so wanted to make sure it was actually a reasonable thing to do and not a red flag.

Anyway, sounds like it's not.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The weight difference is real. The 6D is also smaller, so it might also be more comfortable in her hands.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 6D actually has a better center AF point than the 5D3. As long as they've got some sort of not ancient full frame, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 of some kind you're in good hands.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
It does not matter even a little.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
A local camera store is having a lens sale. Anyone have any lenses to recommend around $500-ish?

I have a 5D classic and generally like shooting portraits outdoors. I do some studio shooting as well.

I'm looking at the Canon 85, just curious what else is recommended. I already have the cheapo 50mm so maybe a zoom would benefit me more than another prime?

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Bubbacub posted:

The weight difference is real. The 6D is also smaller, so it might also be more comfortable in her hands.

The 6d is a bit cleaner at high isos also, and it has wifi remote, which is useful as gently caress in certain applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

triplexpac posted:

A local camera store is having a lens sale. Anyone have any lenses to recommend around $500-ish?

I have a 5D classic and generally like shooting portraits outdoors. I do some studio shooting as well.

I'm looking at the Canon 85, just curious what else is recommended. I already have the cheapo 50mm so maybe a zoom would benefit me more than another prime?

If you can stretch to 800-ish, the Canon 135/2 is an amazing lens, especially for portraits.