Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

Question about repotting – how do I know when it's time to repot a seedling? One of my Meyer lemon seedlings is getting pretty big and I've noticed he's sent a first little root tendril down through one of the water drainage holes in his solo cup.

Is he ready for a bigger pot? Is there any potential downside to putting a younger seedling into a bigger pot? I've read a few places that small seedlings in a big pot run the risk of "drowning," but I'm not sure how that would really happen... is it that if you have a small plant that's not drinking much water, you can't keep the potted soil from drying out without giving it way more water than the tree can possibly use?

The general rule for repotting for plants of all sizes is to do it when the root ball just starts to become root bound. By "root bound" I mean that the roots completely cover the outside of the root ball. You can see this when you pull up the whole plant out of its pot. Google images has some great examples of root bound plants. You can also usually tell if a plant is root bound when it has roots at the surface.

Repotting too early comes with few issues. First, if a plant isn't even close to root bound yet, then the dirt will fall away when you pull the plant out of the pot. Aside from the mess this can make, that can be a problem for plants whose roots break easily. Then there's the issue of fanning out roots when you repot what's now essentially a bare root plant. As for "drowning", that's mostly a problem if the new giant pot has no drainage, which a lot of the huge decorative glazed ceramic ones (think bigger than 12") don't have. With tiny plants in giant pots like that, if the plant can't suck up the water fast enough, then all the water will settle to the bottom. That's when you notice that the top is dry, but in fact the bottom of the pot is full of water, you can't see it and the plant just can't reach it. So you go to water it... The water level rises and you drown the plant. If the plant isn't a bog plant, then it's boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kid sinister posted:

The general rule for repotting for plants of all sizes is...

Thanks much! That's super helpful. I pulled a couple of the seedlings' root balls out this morning and none of them are anywhere remotely close to being root bound, so I'll hold off for awhile.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hi guys. Do you have any suggestions for plants that can do well in a pot indoors with no natural sunlight(seriously zero)? I can get a UV light if necessary. I'm looking for something that can sit on a desk, no particular type or morphology in mind but the diameter of the pot at the base would max out at about 8 inches, and I'm not sure I'd want it to be much taller than 12 inches from the soil. I live in Southern California(my office is in Orange, CA, usually about 66-79 degrees F in here) and I know NOTHING about plants except that whenever I try to google for answers to this question I get a bunch of indoor weed growing stuff, even if I leave out the word pot. I'm mainly looking for a plant that I can spend a little time on each day or so as a project. I'm not sure if there are plants that are totally self sufficient in this situation but if so I would probably avoid those.

Also, I'm in the office 5 days a week, if that matters.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Hi guys. Do you have any suggestions for plants that can do well in a pot indoors with no natural sunlight(seriously zero)? I can get a UV light if necessary. I'm looking for something that can sit on a desk, no particular type or morphology in mind but the diameter of the pot at the base would max out at about 8 inches, and I'm not sure I'd want it to be much taller than 12 inches from the soil. I live in Southern California(my office is in Orange, CA, usually about 66-79 degrees F in here) and I know NOTHING about plants except that whenever I try to google for answers to this question I get a bunch of indoor weed growing stuff, even if I leave out the word pot. I'm mainly looking for a plant that I can spend a little time on each day or so as a project. I'm not sure if there are plants that are totally self sufficient in this situation but if so I would probably avoid those.

Also, I'm in the office 5 days a week, if that matters.

I googled "low light house plants" and got nothing about weed! There are quite a few options. I'd pick one that you think you like the look of, then google "how to take care of ______ plant" for further information.

http://www.houseplantsexpert.com/easy-to-grow-and-low-light-house-plants.html

You will be kind of limited in your options for low-light, but there should be some that work!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think it was because I kept including terms about the UV light :v: thanks!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Pothos seems to be drat near unkillable, if you don't mind having a trailing vine. I've had one growing in a 6 inch pot in the corner of my kitchen away from windows for about 6 years now and it just keeps on chugging. Despite my tendency to forget to water it with my other plants. Any time a vine gets too long I just flip the end back over the pot and it will re-root there.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think it was because I kept including terms about the UV light :v: thanks!

Plants generally don't need UV, it's just that the sun is far more intense than any indoor bulb so it provides much more energy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No light? Have you considered mushrooms?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ghetto wormhole posted:

Plants generally don't need UV, it's just that the sun is far more intense than any indoor bulb so it provides much more energy.

Didn't know this, thanks. Perhaps I'll read a book about how plants work :v:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No light? Have you considered mushrooms?

I would definitely be up for that. They won't have a problem if they're under fluorescent lights, right?

Marchegiana posted:

Pothos seems to be drat near unkillable, if you don't mind having a trailing vine. I've had one growing in a 6 inch pot in the corner of my kitchen away from windows for about 6 years now and it just keeps on chugging. Despite my tendency to forget to water it with my other plants. Any time a vine gets too long I just flip the end back over the pot and it will re-root there.

This is my #1 right now. I really like the sound of this plant, and if it goes well I think I could get a plant for my room at home as well.

I'll probably do the last of my research and pick up supplies to get started early this week. Thanks guys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got about 6 inches of pothos for my fishtank originally. I think I've got several feet of it now between my tank, my desk at the office, and my bosses's desk since I gave him a few cuttings. Pothos is unkillable.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
What do you all use for seed starting mix? I've been having good luck with coir and vermiculite in a 50/50 mix by volume. Working good for tropicals and rooting cuttings so far but I always wonder if there is a better way.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you are willing to get a small fluorescent light setup you could grow some sundews and be the toast of the office.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If you have an office with fluorescent light, you could try a ZZ plant too. About the only way to kill one of those is to water it too much. They're called "Eternity Plants" for a reason.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been on a sort of Malvaceae/Mallow kick lately, and I decided to share some of the love.

pardon the crappy cellphone pic

This is my Abutilon 'Bella' plant, aka Flowering Maple for the distinctive leaves that are reminiscent of those of a true Maple. While the flowers normally hang downwards facing the ground like colorful chandeliers, today they were pretty happy with the watering that I gave them earlier.

Plants are awesome. :yum:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Fun fact: mallows can be growing marginally. I grow them on the edge of my pond, and they get about 6-7' feet tall with awesome leaf colors.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Similar indoor plant question – I'm getting a couple of indoor wall planters which will be hung in spots that get a lot of reflected sunlight, but zero direct light. I'll likely end up going to my local nursery to grab a few plants, but any recommendations? Something that would make my place smell nice without being super floral (or preferably not floral at all) would be cool.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

Fun fact: mallows can be growing marginally. I grow them on the edge of my pond, and they get about 6-7' feet tall with awesome leaf colors.

Look at this cool rear end Dracula plant with its awesome red flowers, and wicked leaf design. I love it. :swoon:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Carolina reapers, chocolate bhutlahs, peppers that are shaped like dicks, and cherry peppers. This summer is going to be interesting. I'm going to be growing some of them on my apartment balcony and was considering going with something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-...18?N=5yc1vZc60q Would 5 gallons be big enough?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
For each one? Yes.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I am attempting to seed some lavender, and sage.

I also took hoke some left over long stem roses, and am trying to propagate them out on my patio.

Anyone else tried using long stem roses for propagating?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
There was a deal online and we picked up 100 mixed bulbs. I've never grown bulbs before and we only have a balcony - I was thinking of getting about 10-15 and planting them in various pots I have lying around, then letting them grow in either full sun or behind bamboo shading depending on growing instructions. Some I think are supposed to be growable indoors and don't need direct light so I might try that (pending a more in-depth look at growing instructions).

What I can't find are websites that describe pot size per bulb. Can I just generally use 1L pots for most bulbs? Can the smaller bulbs (think the size of a kernel of corn) suffice in a half-litre pot or will they need to be transplanted? And, if so, do bulbs handle transplanting well or should I take the time to carefully plan out each bulb's home before planting?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Happy Easter!

Usually bulb planting info is written up by bulb size and the depth to plant in the soil, kinda in the same way that seeds are. Since you're just barely starting the bulbs up, it's ok to use a pot that's on the small side. They're eventually going to be potted up into bigger containers anyway. :v:

This is of course coming from someone who planted two giant cloves of elephant garlic in the plant equivalent of a Japanese capsule hotel or a college student's first apartment in New York. They'll be fine, so long as they're not drowning.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

There was a deal online and we picked up 100 mixed bulbs. I've never grown bulbs before and we only have a balcony - I was thinking of getting about 10-15 and planting them in various pots I have lying around, then letting them grow in either full sun or behind bamboo shading depending on growing instructions. Some I think are supposed to be growable indoors and don't need direct light so I might try that (pending a more in-depth look at growing instructions).

What I can't find are websites that describe pot size per bulb. Can I just generally use 1L pots for most bulbs? Can the smaller bulbs (think the size of a kernel of corn) suffice in a half-litre pot or will they need to be transplanted? And, if so, do bulbs handle transplanting well or should I take the time to carefully plan out each bulb's home before planting?

I easily have a thousand assorted bulbs in the yard. Tulip, crocus, hyacinth, grape hyacinth, daffodils, star of Holland, alliums, various lilies, etc... They don't have a deep or expansive root structure. They grow a tuft of roots out of the bottom of the bulb. Once they've finished blooming and the foliage has died back, they've gone dormant and you can move them however much you need to. They need to have "winter" one way or another in order to come back again, but unless you protect the pots, they will freeze solid and your bulbs may not come back. You can take them up and put them in a paper bag in the fridge if you need to. Also, don't cut the foliage away until it's mostly died back. The bulb is drawing nutrients back out of the leave to store for next year.

As for pots, they don't need to be super deep for most bulbs (8 inches or so is good enough for smaller things.) A couple years ago, I forced a half dozen hyacinths in a planter about the size of a small serving bowl with no problems. (Maybe 12in diameter or so.) Only full sized tulips and Asiatic lilies need more than that, since they need to be planted ~6in deep. They all need a fair amount of sun, in general.

Happy bulbing!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hello plant goons. My wife and I spent all last weekend digging up a plant bed in front of our house. We bought some gardenias and sky pencil holly plants from a local plant nursery, and a few days after planting them I noticed some issues. This is all in upstate South Carolina.

The leaves on the sky pencil holly look like something is eating them:

And here are the gardenias. Notice the browning on this one:

And here:

And this one has browning and some leaves (on the left) that look like they're being eaten:

We followed the advice of the plant nursery who advised us on how to plant these guys. We dug the holes about twice the size of the root ball, used mushroom compost as fertilizer at the bottom of the hole, but I think we're having one of two issues.

Different websites say different things about watering these plants in terms of how often to water, and how much water to use. What do you guys normally do for new plants like these?

My other concern is the leaves that appear to be eaten. We haven't done anything to prevent insects yet. Any recommendations on that?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Are my miniature roses getting sun-burnt? They're on a south-facing balcony in a pretty warm climate and it's spring now. But if they're suffering this much from a few days of sun in april then I better take them out of direct sunlight immediately otherwise they're going to burn to a crisp in full Roman summer. Can I confirm it's sun damage and not over/underwatering or something with the soil? For context, half the flowers that are burned grew and bloomed like that, they didn't bloom cleanly then die out.

Hi, thanks for replying! I did read these as they were posted but hadn't gotten around to replying yet.

The bulbs don't have any information on them, just the type and a few directions that don't actually change between bulbs, such as "sun: full", "when to plant: spring", etc. I googled a bunch of them and the real directions change massively. Bulb planting depth was not specified on the packet so I just followed the 3x height rule. I've only done a handful of bulbs so far.

MOD EDIT: sweet jesus my tables

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 12, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Has anyone here grown Valerian? I'm thinking of buying some so I can either make a sleepytime tea or drug the hell out of my cats.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Cute but stressed mini rose

It's hard for me to say for sure if it's heat-related because I don't see enough dead leaves to make a safe judgement from (also I don't know how hot it is over there), but I do think it is probably scorching from too much sun. Maybe placing it in a spot where the sun is not too intense can help?

Ehud posted:

Holly and gardenias!

Gardenias: I think the problem maybe too much water, but the fact that it's yellowing from the tips down is interesting as well... Try watering less, aiming towards the early part of the day so that way the foliage can be dry by night time.

There's also the possibility that it can be a problem with the fertilizer. Maybe it's too strong for it?

Holly: Could be leaf miners: nasty bugs that lay eggs inside a plant's leaves, where the larva hatches and tunnels their way through. Can you post a close up of the affected leaf for ID? You can also image search as well.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 13, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been browsing around the internet a bit today, and I remembered you guys in this thread who might appreciate some of the things of the things that I've seen, so I'm sharing the love. That's right, it's time for another photo post!

One of my favorite plants that I have that I really appreciate is my Echeveria ‘Lola.’ There are lots of words that I can use to describe this wonderful plant, but the one that I think really sums up the beauty of this Echeveria is ‘lotus.’ Take an image search of this lovely plant and you’ll be able to see many examples of how orderly and elegant the short, rounded-with-a-point leaves can be.

I chose this picture of it to show off the cool thing about the coloration of this plant. Although this plant is pale to the point of being white, it’s a very tough plant that does well in the brightest of sun. You can tell that it’s happy if had a purplish/rose tint to the underside of the leaves. So pretty!

I’m having a hard telling if Sedum ‘Blue Pearl’ is an actual plant that exists, or if it’s like those “blue orchids/roses” that you can buy at the store that have been dyed blue. This thing is just too blue for me to comprehend.

Here is a pinterest I found of cool plants: I could post the every single pin I found in there, but I’ll have to settle for a few.
https://www.pinterest.com/arkanciscan/plant-succulent-bonsai-terrarium/

And lastly, an imgur album of more unique plants

http://imgur.com/gallery/KNM4u

Including one that looks amazingly like an Annoying Orange parody or like a fleshlight, but is in fact a real plant.

Please let me know if I'm breaking tables here, I'm posting from my phone.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

If there's any plant I'd expect to ask "feed me, Seymour", it would be this plant.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
This one is crazy:

What's it called? I want one.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Skizzzer posted:

This one is crazy:

What's it called? I want one.

It looks like a Haworthia cooperi var.obtusa.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Zratha posted:

Frickin' awesome. :getin:

Anybody have any tips for successfully propagating Proteaceae cuttings? My experience is that they're kind of a crapshoot even under "proper" conditions.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Zratha posted:

So cool. Now to figure out where to get one...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Skizzzer posted:

So cool. Now to figure out where to get one...

FYI don't expect it to look like that all the time. That looks like special lighting and camera tricks.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715477

LIVE: a baby basil plant is introduced to the horde that is called GBS. :f5h::chanpop:

God speed, little basil.

Edit: what the hell happened to the weed smilie?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 23, 2015

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
My incredibly nice neighbor gave us six cucumber sprouts/baby plants/I know nothing about gardening, but she didn't tell us how to take care of them until it is warm enough to plant them. I live in Missouri, so it won't be regularly above 80 degrees until maybe mid May. I read somewhere that cucumbers like the warmth a lot. What can I do to ensure they don't die in the next few weeks?

I have three "Burpless Beauties" and three "Marketmores."

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Duly noted kid sinister, thank you.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

zfleeman posted:

My incredibly nice neighbor gave us six cucumber sprouts/baby plants/I know nothing about gardening, but she didn't tell us how to take care of them until it is warm enough to plant them. I live in Missouri, so it won't be regularly above 80 degrees until maybe mid May. I read somewhere that cucumbers like the warmth a lot. What can I do to ensure they don't die in the next few weeks?

I have three "Burpless Beauties" and three "Marketmores."

Cucumbers can be set out once the last average frost for your area is passed. Nightly lows are most important - if it is dipping below 45, wait until it isn't. That may actually be quite soon for you. Until then, be sure to take your seedlings outside for a couple of hours each day, giving them a gradually increasing dose of full sun. This is called "hardening off" your plants, and is especially important with cucumbers and other vines.

As far as other care, just a little water and plenty of sun will do - a south facing window is my personal option, but you may have a porch? Make sure your container has adequate drainage.

When transplanting, pick a location with no or low foot traffic and at least 8 hours of direct sunlight. Most importantly, be extremely careful to not disturb the cucumber's roots, as they are very fragile and if damaged will cause serious stunting.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Fasdar posted:

Most importantly, be extremely careful to not disturb the cucumber's roots, as they are very fragile and if damaged will cause serious stunting.

I have a packet of cukes (Park's All-Season hybrid) that recommends starting seeds 4 - 6 weeks indoors. I'd never heard of starting them indoors but figured I'd give them a head start. 3 weeks in and the roots had already penetrated the peat pot, which is exactly what I knew would happen. The plant responded by halting all growth. The same happened to the zukes I started indoors, except they didn't stop growing altogether. This is only my second year growing, but I'm thinking it was bad advice to start these indoors as I don't see an outcome where shock and root disturbance can be avoided. Maybe I just need to time things better next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Please pardon the terrible cellphone picture, but this the first time growing forget-me-not, and I'm super surprised that they're blooming so soon. :swoon: Lovely little flowers to brighten up your day.

Edit: I swear to god, not everything I do is plant-related (sometimes I like to play PC MMOs), but I happened to walk into a botanical garden while they were having an orchid show. I managed to snap a picture of this little beaut.

If only I knew how to take care of orchids, because they look pretty awesome...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 28, 2015