Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I wonder how a retro chain store would affect prices across the board.

flyboi posted:

Funny/ironic part is it will only work on model 1 Saturns

Good thing that's exactly what I have! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

mikeycp posted:

I wonder how a retro chain store would affect prices across the board.

I'd guess it would eventually stabilize pricing in areas where the stores were located. Rare games would probably go up a bit to account for no longer being able to find them on super-sale via craigslist or other unknowing sellers, meanwhile extremely common games would slowly stop being stamped as "RARE". The days of $25 Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt cart listings might fade away slowly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

I'd guess it would eventually stabilize pricing in areas where the stores were located. Rare games would probably go up a bit to account for no longer being able to find them on super-sale via craigslist or other unknowing sellers, meanwhile extremely common games would slowly stop being stamped as "RARE". The days of $25 Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt cart listings might fade away slowly.

Either that or they hoard them in a warehouse and trickle titles out on specific days.

"Would you like to pre-order Wild Gunman?"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My replacement SNES controllers arrived today!

They work great, they look great, I have no opinion one way or the other on X and Y being convex or concave so they feel as good as a SNES controller does. However I wish I'd done more research and found out how unreasonably short the cables are :gonk:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Agrias120 posted:

Not only that, they would actually have Battletoads!

But I would also imagine that they would start churning out Official Gamestop Retro Clone Consoles. I would think Clone consoles wouldn't be that much more expensive to mass produce than all their other Gamestop licenced stuff.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cubey posted:

However I wish I'd done more research and found out how unreasonably short the cables are :gonk:

Yeah, I guess they expected you to pull the console out of whatever cubbyhole you store it in and sit it right next to you while you play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw729KAOSpU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That has to be it, since the Famicom's cables are hilariously short.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, I guess they expected you to pull the console out of whatever cubbyhole you store it in and sit it right next to you while you play.

Yup, that's just how things were organized in Japanese homes. TV's were small as poo poo. You wanted a big screen, you moved so you were right in front of it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

McCracAttack posted:

Nope, Japanese homes are a lot smaller than American or European homes. So they made the cords shorter to account for that.

If the cord length bothers you that bad, swap the case and/or just the buttons onto a SNES controller. They are exactly the same and on the inside of the case even tells you what color button goes where!

That is my next project actually, I just need to get some SFC controllers for a not insane price.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Squeegy posted:

What up, fellas? I've had a Game Boy in a bag in my closet for several years now after loving up the lens by trying to superglue it back on. Today I was inspired to take it out and refurbish it. Here's a picture:

I took a soldering iron to it to fix the blank lines in the screen, so it displays perfectly now, but the LCD has some scratches and blemishes.

Now I'm waiting for my new lens to arrive, and if it falls off in the future I will use double-sided tape instead. I was considering using some acetone on the plastic behind the cover to get rid of the leftover superglue, but I'm worried it might damage the case or the screen. I could also mod in one of those backlights that are popular these days, and I need to crack open all my games and replace the dead save batteries. It's been fun.

Don't bother with acetone, it will ruin texturing on the plastic underneath it if it gets anywhere else and also the finish. You're better off filing and cleaning the stuff or trying with alcohol, otherwise most screen lenses will come self adhesive... just lay it over the glue and deal with it, the lens's paint will cover up the color anyway.

EDIT : lol. Assume any Japanese system you purchase and/or the related accessories will have very short cables for the very reasons mentioned above. It amuses me that people are still surprised by this.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I want to say this one's a little more known because it got a Japanese Virtual Console release and it was developed by Sting, but if you're a PC Engine fan check out Psycho Chaser (yet another game that is a synonym for Mad Stalker :D ).

Also, speaking of synonyms, folks that like Japanese games, how many games are there where the literal English translation could correctly be "lighting fighters" or just "RAGE?" There's Ikari Warriors, Konami's Lightning Fighters (this game is even a clone of Raiden from Konami), Raiden/Raiden Fighters, Thunder Cross, Thunder Force? Thunder and lightning were to shmups what Dark and Dead are to action horror games here.

You keep reviewing games I love that I thought nobody gave a poo poo about, mad props. You probably have already but check out Override/Last Batallion on PCE/X68K respectively, it's another rad Sting shooter

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Everdrives in da house!

Unfortunately I have to ignore them for the week because of Bloodborne. :negative:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Everdrives in da house!

Unfortunately I have to ignore them for the week because of Bloodborne. :negative:

The heck you do. Fire up an RPG on the Mega, and play it during load screens for BB.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Everdrives in da house!

How long did it take to get your Everdrives from when you ordered them? My Mega Everdrive is apparently sitting in Kiev MMPO, whatever that means.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

pairofdimes posted:

How long did it take to get your Everdrives from when you ordered them? My Mega Everdrive is apparently sitting in Kiev MMPO, whatever that means.

Ordered and shipped out on March 4th, received today, the 23rd.

Kiev MMPO is probably it leaving the country looking at my tracking. After that point you're stuck there until it's in the receiving country.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ordered and shipped out on March 4th, received today, the 23rd.

Kiev MMPO is probably it leaving the country looking at my tracking. After that point you're stuck there until it's in the receiving country.

That's good to know. I'm moving soon, so it sounds like it was a good idea to have it shipped to my parent's house instead.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Djarum posted:

If the cord length bothers you that bad, swap the case and/or just the buttons onto a SNES controller. They are exactly the same and on the inside of the case even tells you what color button goes where!

I could swap the boards except for the fact that I got these because i managed to lose one SNES controller a few years back and the other recently had the L button die for no reason that I can figure out (everything looks good, cleaning the contact didn't help :iiam:). They do sell controller cord extensions on ebay, so I will prolly just buy a couple of those.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cubey posted:

They do sell controller cord extensions on ebay, so I will prolly just buy a couple of those.

Amazon also sells them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Pseudo Saturn

So the question is, what should I play on this thing?

Unless you can read Japanese, it's basically a home arcade machine. In fact, Sega had an arcade hardware platform based on it (ST-V), which meant pretty much perfect home ports such as the following:

Radiant Silvergun
Soukyugurentai
Prikura Daisakusen
Batman Forever
Cotton Boomerang
Die Hard Arcade
Shienryu
Guardian Force

Among others. If you like fighting games, there's plenty of those, a near-perfect port of Street Fighter Zero 3 being the highlight. Lots of other shmups, too - Batsugun, Strikers 1945, Battle Garegga, Layer Section/Galactic Attack, Salamander Deluxe Pack, and slowdown-free Thunder Force IV (Thunderforce Gold Pack 2) among my favorites. For the vert shmups, be sure to put your display upright on its left side for the full arcade experience :getin:. There's also a double-pack of the Dungeons & Dragons arcade games, which are awesome.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That sad, sad moment when you plug in your Saturn after all this Saturn talk to realize the CR2032 ran out of juice AND you forgot to backup a few saves before you last unplugged it

...And you don't have any spare 2032s laying around :saddowns:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

That sad, sad moment when you plug in your Saturn after all this Saturn talk to realize the CR2032 ran out of juice AND you forgot to backup a few saves before you last unplugged it

...And you don't have any spare 2032s laying around :saddowns:

I bought like 100 CR2032s all at once off dealextreme for cheap back when i was using VMUs actively. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Can we collectively agree to never mention Batman Forever ever again?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Forever and ever?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nintendo Kid posted:

I bought like 100 CR2032s all at once off dealextreme for cheap back when i was using VMUs actively. :v:

And the VMUs burned through them in a week.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Forever and ever?

:negative:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Forever and ever?

That would be a forever endeavor. :downsrim:

...I'll show myself out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

elf help book posted:

And the VMUs burned through them in a week.

I only used 50 of them in VMUs over the 3 years. :v:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

WHEN GOOD BAT-TLES EVIL
THE REAL GAME BEGINS

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So how do you guys recommend getting GBA games? They are apparently absurdly expensive, up to $75 more than a first-gen DS game. Original Game Boy games seem like they'd be cheaper to get, but most of the good games of my childhood are on the GBA, and they know it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Squeegy posted:

So how do you guys recommend getting GBA games? They are apparently absurdly expensive, up to $75 more than a first-gen DS game. Original Game Boy games seem like they'd be cheaper to get, but most of the good games of my childhood are on the GBA, and they know it.

If a collection isn't in the cards, a EZFlash IV flash cart will be the way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If nothing else comes from the Toejam & Earl KS, we'll at least have learned that some pro-marijuana organisation tried to buy the IP so they could use TJ&E as their mascots:

quote:

Josh: So, back to ToeJam & Earl… This is going to be a super weird question probably, but this is something I’ve genuinely always been curious about. How much would you say that drugs influenced ToeJam & Earl?

Greg: [Laughing] That’s funny. Well, I don’t know. I mean, I don’t do drugs, and I never have. Any type. That’s sometimes shockingly surprising to some people who are absolutely sure that ToeJam & Earl came out of some drug-induced state of mind.

Josh: It almost feels like, if you’re looking, you can see some references and things.

Greg: I mean, standing back a little bit, I guess I can see that just in terms of how crazy everything is…

Here’s a little interesting tidbit for you: Mark [Voorsanger, co-creator of ToeJam & Earl] and I were approached at one point to sell the property for quite a bit of money to an organization that was focused on legalizing marijuana. They wanted ToeJam and Earl as sort of their mascot characters. If we had taken the cash and sold the characters, there was no question that we would be seeing them toking it up very quickly all over the place.

http://geekparty.com/talking-toejam-earl-with-greg-johnson-part-3-drugs/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Squeegy posted:

http://www.ezflash.cn/ez-flash-iv-microsd/

Not sure about a reputable seller these days but this plays pretty much everything and takes micro SDHC and was launched a few months ago.

Edit: Looks like gbatemp's sponsor has them for sale and is pretty reliable https://nds-card.com

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 24, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Squeegy posted:

Loose GBA games tend to be cheap-ish. Partly because they printed a lot of them but also because there's a poo poo ton of counterfeits out there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The heck GBA games are that expensive?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

Yes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690809

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Caitlin posted:

Ninja Five-O, and Car Battler Joe is starting to creep up there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

:golfclap:

Discount Viscount posted:

Ninja Five-O, and Car Battler Joe is starting to creep up there.

so we have, like, two. I mean, there's always a few expensive ones for any system you throw out there, it was just the "absurdly expensive, $75 more than first gen DS" that made me :confused:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Caitlin posted:

GBA games are expensive because there's hella counterfeits out there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

GBA games are expensive because there's hella counterfeits out there.

that was not what I asked at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think GBA is particularly expensive either yet. Any system where the packaging is cardboard it's going to be way more expensive to get the game complete, that's not unique to GBA, and once you exit Nintendo/Atlus/Konami land there a ton of awesome GBA games that are cheap. :)

d0s posted:

You keep reviewing games I love that I thought nobody gave a poo poo about, mad props. You probably have already but check out Override/Last Batallion on PCE/X68K respectively, it's another rad Sting shooter

:whatup: Thanks! Hopefully more people give these rad games a chance now. I LOVE Override! :)

• Locked thread