Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The main problem with Unity is that combat against enemies is more lethal to Arno than it is to enemies.

Good? Armored soldiers vs. a guy in a bathrobe. What would you expect?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

when enemies teleport to avoid your gun shots because gently caress you that's why

This has literally never happened to me. :confused:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Especially when their gun shots are much, much more deadly and can seemingly aim with perfect accuracy and you can no longer take a human shield to defend yourself against it.

While in combat, you can press Space to roll and avoid gunfire. But yeah, I'll admit that not being able to roll while you're not 'in combat' (and thus have literally zero defense) but still have someone trying to shoot you is a huge annoyance and a definite oversight. Never said it was perfect.

It can definitely be refined for Victory. I still think it's a lot better than BF/Rogue's combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I expected with a slower combat system, something more along the lines of Dark Souls where if you're good you can really gently caress bosses and enemies up but on the other hand, they can gently caress you up. Whittling them down slowly when they can kill you within seconds isn't fun, it's tedious. Higher star enemies more often than not just dodge to the side when I fire any pistols which more or less made them completely useless for me except in fringe cases and even then for sniping someone from a distance you'd be better off using the phantom blades.

There was nothing wrong with being able to take a human shield or whistle or a whole host of other moves the previous games let you do, that you can no longer do in Unity because....? Removing them took away tactical options, not made combat more tactical.

Again I like the concept for combat and stealth that Unity was going for but the execution was godawful. If Victory does refine those concepts into something great, then that'd be grand. As it stands I'd honestly rather put up with the shallow combat of earlier games than the plodding, tedious and annoying combat of Unity.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I got sick of boats about halfway through 4. I want more wilderness exploration. And sneaking up on encampments.
Actually it's pretty crazy how much wilderness Rogue has. I'd say it has more than AC3. When I noticed that you can basically run on foot through the whole River Valley because all those locations are actually connected by land - I was really impressed. It helps that the locations have themes to them and are nice to look at. Good luck on collecting everything though, holy poo poo.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Palpek posted:

Actually it's pretty crazy how much wilderness Rogue has. I'd say it has more than AC3. When I noticed that you can basically run on foot through the whole River Valley because all those locations are actually connected by land - I was really impressed. It helps that the locations have themes to them and are nice to look at. Good luck on collecting everything though, holy poo poo.

Only shanties and stuff that unlocks the endgame armours. :colbert:

Animus fragments and chests? Forget it.

Also tying the Templar armour to treasure maps? gently caress that. I ate that poo poo up in Red Dead but that's cause there wasn't 15,000 maps. At least the endgame ship upgrades are easy to find this time around.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it's basically the ship combat of Black Flag mixed with the wilderness locations of 3. I do find myself kinda missing the tropical piratey theme, but then I put on a big tricorner hat and remember that this is more Horatio Hornblower than Long John Silver.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I expected with a slower combat system, something more along the lines of Dark Souls where if you're good you can really gently caress bosses and enemies up but on the other hand, they can gently caress you up. Whittling them down slowly when they can kill you within seconds isn't fun, it's tedious. Higher star enemies more often than not just dodge to the side when I fire any pistols which more or less made them completely useless for me except in fringe cases and even then for sniping someone from a distance you'd be better off using the phantom blades.

Unity protip: always be using smoke bombs. It probably isn't the intended way to fight, but they let you assassinate 2-3 enemies of any size per bomb and you can just stunlock entire armies of dudes to death. Not to say that excuses anything or that the rest of the combat wasn't kind of poorly-designed, but the option is there.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
smokebombs are pretty hilariously efficient in brotherhood where you can have like 5 people backstabbing bad guys at the same time

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I wouldn't have called myself a masochist a year ago, yet I'm still playing Unity to try and get completion because I'm too poor to buy other games and want more parkour action in my life. The Paris setting is so nice too. But god drat, this combat. Guns are the worst thing ever, especially when you can be targeted from off screen with no HUD warnings and not be able to dodge because you're not in the combat stance. ubisoft :negative:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This poo poo is loving retarded. Foiled by a loving missing .ico file hosted on the same server I downloaded the goddamn launcher from.

code:
[  304]  2015-03-23 15:00:31      [ 2788]      ERROR      JobHttp.cpp (293)                                Http status code is 404 for url [url]http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/orbit/uplay_launcher_3_0/assets/bba0f35b76ad04108bcf46620888f747.ico.[/url]
[  304]  2015-03-23 15:00:31      [ 2788]      ERROR      AssetsGetAsset.cpp (106)                         Failed to get asset for product id 895. Type: 12.
And Ubi haven't a loving clue what's going on, and I've tried everything short of attempting to install it on another computer.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Unity is pretty offputting for completionists too. So much poo poo to do that it gets overwhelming quickly.

Having said that I don't hate Unity and it's definitely the model future games should build off, but they do need to fix the technical issues and gameplay issues for Victory. Hopefully Victory should run better anyway not only because of optimization but also because there weren't exactly huge large crowds protesting in Victorian London.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Unity is pretty offputting for completionists too. So much poo poo to do that it gets overwhelming quickly.

Rogue has a ton of more collectibles and random poo poo to do then Unity.

There's more fragments than cockades. More chests in Rogue. More viewpoints. The Naval Campaign which was even loving worse than the Unity app missions. And then there's another half dozen types of collectibles.

Unity is so off putting because the game doesn't make any effort to disguise all the stuff you can do.

Rogue there's just a ton of poo poo to do with little variety and horrible balance issues with rewards

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

There's more fragments than cockades. More chests in Rogue. More viewpoints. The Naval Campaign which was even loving worse than the Unity app missions. And then there's another half dozen types of collectibles.

Unity is so off putting because the game doesn't make any effort to disguise all the stuff you can do.

Rogue there's just a ton of poo poo to do with little variety and horrible balance issues with rewards

You're making Rogue sound really scary. God knows it took me FOREVER to get all the chests in Unity, but then I remember that even though Black Flag didn't have as many, they were all scattered throughout the ocean. If Rogue's like that but with more chests... :stare:

I do like viewpoints though.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I 100% synced Rogue and Unity seems like a way tougher 100. I'm currently at 81% on it with the sync points and artifacts looking like the worst of it and murder mysteries looking like the most fun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

I guess that's exactly it to be honest. Rogue introduces things to you while Unity just shits it out everywhere and your map is always cluttered with poo poo to do at all times. Though truth be told, maybe I'm just getting tired of Ubisoft collectathons. I never even bothered 100%ing Assassin's Creed 3 or both Far Cry 3 and 4 because of it. Too much effort for very little gain.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Grimace posted:

You're making Rogue sound really scary. God knows it took me FOREVER to get all the chests in Unity, but then I remember that even though Black Flag didn't have as many, they were all scattered throughout the ocean. If Rogue's like that but with more chests... :stare:

I do like viewpoints though.

It isn't much more, Rogue has 30 or so more, if the statistics are to be believed. They're just scattered in a ton of more places. Unity has like 23 districts, Rogue probably has twice as many.

There's 120 something cockcades in Unity, and 200 animus fragments in Rogue. Then there's another 50 prosperity gems, 24 cave paintings, 24 crosses, 24 treasure maps + 24 treasures to find, 2 dozen sea shanties, 20 something blueprints, 15 viking sword fragments...and in the modern day section there's 20 tablets.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I 100% synced Rogue and Unity seems like a way tougher 100. I'm currently at 81% on it with the sync points and artifacts looking like the worst of it and murder mysteries looking like the most fun.

I mean there's more actual side missions than Assassin Intercepts and Hunting missions to pad it out.

I like Murder Mysteries and Paris Stories than trying to trap 5 deer for the 5th time.

Artifacts aren't that horrible, though the ones in the Rifts kinda suck because the one you're missing isn't a guaranteed spawn.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rogue Naval maps are really cramped compared to Black Flag, battles often feel like a knife fight in a phone booth which adds tension I guess but I miss sailing on the wide open sea.

Also down with critters not spawning.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

Rogue Naval maps are really cramped compared to Black Flag, battles often feel like a knife fight in a phone booth which adds tension I guess but I miss sailing on the wide open sea.

Also down with critters not spawning.

Yeah...the arctic critters seem particularly annoying with spawning. In some cases only one per area.

I think the game should just have doubled down on the North Atlantic and doubled the size but then I guess it wouldn't have felt 'merican enough for American audiences? The River Valley area felt really odd. I liked the wilderness stuff. Sailing it? Not so much.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone do clubs on the PC or is that dead? I applied to LGSA a few days ago but haven't gotten approved yet.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Protip: Don't buy Ubisoft games from Nuuvem unless you live in Brazil. It looks like that was the problem with my account.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I guess that's exactly it to be honest. Rogue introduces things to you while Unity just shits it out everywhere and your map is always cluttered with poo poo to do at all times. Though truth be told, maybe I'm just getting tired of Ubisoft collectathons. I never even bothered 100%ing Assassin's Creed 3 or both Far Cry 3 and 4 because of it. Too much effort for very little gain.

Don't 100% AC3, it's some ol' bullshit and I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Palpek posted:

I have done this in the river valley (all locations are blue) and it's still telling me i've only done 60 odd percent of the renovations. Is that a global tracker or is there another area for the River Valley that's still to open up i just returned to new york after killing Adewale?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kin posted:

I have done this in the river valley (all locations are blue) and it's still telling me i've only done 60 odd percent of the renovations. Is that a global tracker or is there another area for the River Valley that's still to open up i just returned to new york after killing Adewale?

I'm pretty sure its a global tracker.

Also renovations won't appear until you've captured the Fort/Settlement for the region.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Don't 100% AC3, it's some ol' bullshit and I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed it
Don't 100% AC3, and I say this as somebody that did it. I liked base AC3 unlike most others, but 100%ing that one was just an excessive tedium, even compared to other entries in the franchise.
AC2's feathers where less annoying compared to AC3's menu's, club and map challenges, the underground and getting the map uncovered in the Frontier. The only upside of it is that it did make me appreciate how actually well designed the frontier was.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You know why they give you all that money in Rogue? It's so you can just buy pelts in the general store.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Zedd posted:

Don't 100% AC3, and I say this as somebody that did it. I liked base AC3 unlike most others, but 100%ing that one was just an excessive tedium, even compared to other entries in the franchise.
AC2's feathers where less annoying compared to AC3's menu's, club and map challenges, the underground and getting the map uncovered in the Frontier. The only upside of it is that it did make me appreciate how actually well designed the frontier was.

:(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Zedd posted:

The only upside of it is that it did make me appreciate how actually well designed the frontier was.

I'm curious, what did you think was good about it? The Frontier (River Valley) stuff in Rogue is way better, even if the boat parts seem sort of out of place..

I get what they were going for in AC3, a throwback nod to "The Kingdom" area in AC1, while giving tall "trees" to climb instead of buildings.

In practice I found it super tedious to navigate, not helped by the fact (and this extends to the entire game) how even with all the viewpoints done, not everything was revealed. What the hell was up with that?

When I checked in Initates (when it worked), AC3 was my lowest complete percent for all Assassins Creed games to date (and following Rogue, still my lowest). I always avoid the hardcore collectathon stuff in these games (flags, feathers, fragments, colonnades) but I will seek out the ones that do "something" (shanties!!). AC3 everything side quest wise, outside of the homestead and boating parts, felt unfinished and disjointed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Snuffman posted:

I'm curious, what did you think was good about it? The Frontier (River Valley) stuff in Rogue is way better, even if the boat parts seem sort of out of place..
River Valley is indeed much better, but doing 100% on AC3 made me appreciate the tons of treepaths, branches, cliffs that did work smmoothly, as opposed to beelining from place to place in the main campaign. It wasn't a great map to traverse , but it was a well designed setpiece.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The challenge where you had to reveal most of the map was one of the most tedious ones (but I didn't have to pay much attention which was nice)

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
After just finishing up unity and moving into rogue i cannot help but feel almost disoriented when playing, things seem too fast and yet simultaneously my movement feels more limited its a strange combination of things to feel.

I did enjoy unity’s short story campaign and the mystery’s however after using helix points to reveal all the collectables i decided to give up and just move onto rogue.

I still haven’t played AC3 yet, should I?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DerVerrater posted:

I still haven’t played AC3 yet, should I?
No.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Only time anyone should play through AC3 is with friends so you can all laugh at how awful the story is. CHARLES LEE!! :black101:

The gameplay sucks and even with all of the bug fixes, it's a pain to play.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, legitimately the only thing you should do with 3 is read a story summary and then move on to Black Flag or Rogue, which take the good features of 3 and improve on them, and take the bad features and cast them into a deep pit of fire from which they can never escape.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Here is the only good part of AC3. You can now play other, good AC games.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Orv posted:

The Charles Lee chase the flat-out worst moment for me in the entire series, presumably the level was designed by one of the employees forced to live in Ubisoft's Abstergo's underground employee prison and venting on the players.

Lee runs through a door that gets blocked by rubble, and you see him running off to the left. Since the mission is to chase him down, you might think to jump onto that post on the left to follow him, but it will only lead to a dead end. You have to jump through the space on the right, after waiting a few seconds to notice that the falling rubble doesn't block it, and run to the right in the opposite direction that Lee took. It is a complete failure of game design, the obvious path is wrong, there shouldn't even be an option that leads you to a dead-end in a linear chase. Instead I failed enough times that I had to watch a video on Youtube, killing all sense of pacing, not that the resolution to the chase is satisfying even done correctly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

If by the only good part you mean that this is the part when it ends I agree.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

If by the only good part you mean that this is the part when it ends I agree.

Well, compared to the rest of the storytelling in AC3, it's the first time the series hits the kind of idea where, oh hey, Templars and Assassins, maybe not all that different, maybe there's something or nothing to both sides. I guess compared to the cliche bullshit of the rest of AC3 (the sudden transformation of characters you liked in the prologue into Disney villains, etc) it's just a good moment, which is kind of what I come to AC for in terms of the story, humanizing moments to these insane serial murderers on both sides.

Moments it typically fails spectacularly to deliver in a logical fashion, but they happen occasionally.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Everything other than the chase sequence was pretty loving great here, holy crap.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rebel Blob posted:

The Charles Lee chase the flat-out worst moment for me in the entire series, presumably the level was designed by one of the employees forced to live in Ubisoft's Abstergo's underground employee prison and venting on the players.

Lee runs through a door that gets blocked by rubble, and you see him running off to the left. Since the mission is to chase him down, you might think to jump onto that post on the left to follow him, but it will only lead to a dead end. You have to jump through the space on the right, after waiting a few seconds to notice that the falling rubble doesn't block it, and run to the right in the opposite direction that Lee took. It is a complete failure of game design, the obvious path is wrong, there shouldn't even be an option that leads you to a dead-end in a linear chase. Instead I failed enough times that I had to watch a video on Youtube, killing all sense of pacing, not that the resolution to the chase is satisfying even done correctly.

I will state for the record that everything this man just said also applied to me when I played through. Constantly dying over and over again because the path you need to take doesn't really look like a path, and there's an obvious path that keeps glitching out next to it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

Well, compared to the rest of the storytelling in AC3, it's the first time the series hits the kind of idea where, oh hey, Templars and Assassins, maybe not all that different, maybe there's something or nothing to both sides. I guess compared to the cliche bullshit of the rest of AC3 (the sudden transformation of characters you liked in the prologue into Disney villains, etc) it's just a good moment, which is kind of what I come to AC for in terms of the story, humanizing moments to these insane serial murderers on both sides.

Moments it typically fails spectacularly to deliver in a logical fashion, but they happen occasionally.
Yeah, I completely forgot that scene but now I do remember I had a "gently caress, that was good" feeling when they were finished at that table. I thought it was genuinely well thought out as a cinematic scene. I'm sure the music helped as well as a couple of good one-liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

I will state for the record that everything this man just said also applied to me when I played through. Constantly dying over and over again because the path you need to take doesn't really look like a path, and there's an obvious path that keeps glitching out next to it.

Yeah, that whole sequence was a pain in the rear end. Let's script things to make it cinematic, except the falling debris is interactable objects and can instantly desynchronize the player if they step in the wrong place or the timing is off and the ceiling falls on them instead of in front of or behind them :downs:

• Locked thread