Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Synonamess Botch posted:

same except $16k, the second most expensive public university in these great united states

I spent 30k a year on my school, and it was a public and didn't even crack the top ten in terms of costs. I was out-of-state, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Just change to a cheaper school, especially if you're in your first couple years it doesn't really make a difference.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Gobblecoque posted:

My semester has been pretty much like this. Rather than anything being spread out at all, I get all sorts of poo poo thrown into exactly one week like a turbo-fuckyou-finals week. I had one of these weeks a couple weeks ago and next week is pretty much gonna be the same.

Yep. I actually had two major tests in the same class with less than a week spacing them apart. I mean, what can you do, right?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Austrian mook posted:

Just change to a cheaper school, especially if you're in your first couple years it doesn't really make a difference.

There may not be cheaper schools in the situation. Worse yet the tuition pretty much everywhere just goes up every year.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

It was a 'respond to x amount of students in this weeks discussion by 11:45' thing, so it wasn't a huge deal. I'm still going to get an A in the class, and yeah, I shouldn't have waited that long to do it. I wanted to make sure I actually had some poo poo to respond to in the different threads that all say the same thing.

I emailed him and said why the only thing I posted that week was my initial post, and I accepted the full responsibility for not paying attention to the maintenance window tab.

gently caress online discussion assignments. Even if you read the article and post your input early the rest of my class generally just copy/pastes me and says "I agree" at 10:45. Who the hell thinks that students are going to sit around forum posting when they don't participate in the discussions done in actual class?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Theres this group of guys in the back of almost every class i have and they spend every lecture talking extremely loudly about whatever dumb poo poo. Its loving maddening and one of my profs kicked one out today and im so grateful for it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

The anti-abortion truck is on campus today, distracting drivers with its graphic fetus picture wraps.

Oh and one of my professors was late today. He apologized and said it was because he was feeling sore after being hit by a car last night. :wtf: It was a student on her cell phone, she hit him while he was in a crosswalk and knocked him out of his shoes.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

In my classes, my professors hand around sign in sheets. I've started adding random names to them. Today, Hammerin' Hank and Mike Rotch went to their class. I hate that professors take attendance. If students don't want to show up, they shouldn't have to. How the gently caress does attendance = participation? There's plently a class that I've sat through stonedbleary eyed and silent and not participated in because some professor gets their panties in a bunch about me showing up.

Hummingbirds posted:

The anti-abortion truck is on campus today, distracting drivers with its graphic fetus picture wraps.

Oh and one of my professors was late today. He apologized and said it was because he was feeling sore after being hit by a car last night. :wtf: It was a student on her cell phone, she hit him while he was in a crosswalk and knocked him out of his shoes.

:stare:

Speaking from personal experience, I've almost been creamed 6 or 7 times by student drivers. In nearly all cases, they were female, and in 100% of them, they weren't looking where they were going (either backing up without turning to gently caress looking jesus christ why would you do this or staring at a text).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got clipped by a girl while in a crosswalk back in undergrad. She had her left foot propped up on the dash and was yakking on her cell phone at the time. Thankfully it was pretty low speed and it basically just knocked my leg to the side, but I was pretty shaken up for a few minutes.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not a Children posted:

She had her left foot propped up on the dash .

How the gently caress do you manage to do that while driving :psyduck:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
At my college the cops watch the crosswalks like hawks. There will be three moped cops there all day in a constant cycle of pulling people over.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lamech posted:

At my college the cops watch the crosswalks like hawks. There will be three moped cops there all day in a constant cycle of pulling people over.

I disapprove of the myriad ways that college students are deprived of the little money they have in most cases, but this is absolutely not one of those. Get those idiots off the road and take their gas money.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh god, Blackboard is about to be more like Facebook. I can't decide if this is going to be excellent or terrible, but I'm leaning towards terrible.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Whew, my professor seems to be happy with the progress I've made on my master's thesis using my patented "slack off for 5 hours of the workday, work frantically the last 3 hours, and end up working for 5 hours at home anyway" time management technique.

Five weeks left until my thesis defense and I'm getting less sleep than ever!! :shepicide:

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Rose Spirit posted:

Five weeks left until my thesis defense and I'm getting less sleep than ever!! :shepicide:

Same here. :hfive:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hummingbirds posted:

One of my old professors somehow survived dozens of years of campus traffic, and then got hit by a car taking a walk in her own neighborhood a few weeks ago :smith:
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2015/02/university-of-arizona-faculty-adviser-former-professor-struck-killed-by-vehicle-over-weekend

I was a preceptor for her course (as a Finance major), and wrote the exams for her finance course taught to all non-finance and non-econ business majors. She called it "Finance for Dummies, because most of the students are marketing or management majors and thus are dummies"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hummingbirds posted:

Your professor sounds hard as gently caress. "Sorry I'm late, I got hit by a car and I'm still a bit sore."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So, prof, if you plan to have us host a 'networking event,' having us bring guests and have us plan it, don't change the date three times. Because, you see, the real world plans ahead, and when you make me send three different emails to various people who have tight schedules changing the date and time, gently caress you. gently caress you and your stupid class. Next time, let me book the room, time, and do all of the planning, and keep your incompetent hand and opinion out of things. Also, don't saddle me with other people to delegate to. An event for 25 people is loving cupcakes, there doesn't need to be 4 divisions of labor.

Glad I didn't print the formal invitations yet, I guess. Fucker.

Envision
Dec 17, 2006
Far and away the worst professor I ever had was at a private university in Texas. At least 9/10 of the class was either a video, a guest lecturer, or student presentations. My favorite guest lecturer was a person she claimed was a famous trainer who was even the trainer of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Who was this trainer with a vast store of elite knowledge? My American History professor. My dead ringer for President Taft American History professor. Surprisingly, he turned out to be a great professor who knew his poo poo. The quality of the education was not nearly worth the money being spent, so I was glad to leave. Also, the hall director was universally unpopular. He had a person A/C in his room, and insisted on keeping the heat on in the dorm year round. It was honestly 90 at night in the dorms. He was so disliked that someone took a dump on his door.
After an uneventful stint at a community college, I moved to a 4 year program again. The quality of the professors was much better, and they were much friendlier. I was one of the older students, transferring in at 21. The professors liked me and I was friendly to them, and would talk to them about the subject matter during office hours because I actually enjoyed the material. It got me a lot of leeway in what I was allowed to do, as well. When it was time for group projects, I'd go up to them after class and just say I know I would do a much better job alone and they'd usually give me that freedom. I dropped out for a year to work at a bank that has since gone under. I only had 100 level classes to complete, because I went after the 300 and 400 levels first, and pushed the gen eds that didn't transfer aside. At 24 and in introductory classes, the professors pretty much let me do my own thing, as I knew the material and did everything they asked of me.
I did walk out of a class in the middle of introductions on the first day. The professor spent about 50 minutes bragging about her "accomplishments" which was a long list of people around her that did something. She was beaming with pride when she talked about how she was in law school at the same time that the Miranda Rights were being hammered out. She had no input on it, but she was in proximity to it being hashed out, and that was apparently the biggest event in her life.
Also, people would suggest the library as a great place to study. I don't know what the library was like when they were in undergrad, but the one on campus was probably the noisiest building on campus. Good selection of books, but good luck trying to read them there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Envision posted:

Also, people would suggest the library as a great place to study. I don't know what the library was like when they were in undergrad, but the one on campus was probably the noisiest building on campus. Good selection of books, but good luck trying to read them there.

Eh, just find a quiet corner and shoo away the muttering homeless guy/masturbating creepo/"We're so kinky!" undergrad couple loving in public and you're fine.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Entrepreneurial experience" classes are loving bullshit wastes of money. They only thing I've learned is how much I hate this class. But it's mandatory for my program. The only thing more irritating than the fact the class exists are the students who take it completely seriously. At least I only have 8 classes left until it's over. gently caress this.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Would it kill my school to buy a more comprehensive journal access package? I can access maybe 2 out of 5 articles on the British Bronze Age I come across. Considering I am at a pretty big archaeology school, this is ridiculous.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Probably it would, yes. Journal access can be loving ridiculously expensive.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

thespaceinvader posted:

Probably it would, yes. Journal access can be loving ridiculously expensive.

I think the second largest university in the United States could afford it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KiteAuraan posted:

This is what ILL is for.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Cythereal posted:

This is what ILL is for.

And ILL in the US is free, so get all up in that bitch (I miss free ILL -- it's £2.50 for each article and book here at my library.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KiteAuraan posted:

When you said 'pretty big archaeology school' I guess I thought that translated into 'relatively small institution overall'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thespaceinvader posted:

When you said 'pretty big archaeology school' I guess I thought that translated into 'relatively small institution overall'.

University librarian here. Journal access is still ridiculously expensive and with funding declining nationwide for universities, libraries have been especially hard hit. Combined with journal access prices steadily rising at the same time, it's not surprising even major US universities lack access to many obscure and highly specialized journals.

Again, though, that's what ILL is for.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Even non obscure things like recent ecological publications are apparently too expensive for my state school. A good 2/3 of the articles in the biological abstracts database were not available, which was a pain in the rear end for the research paper I just wrote.

The ILL is awesome though. I didn't even use it for school stuff, I read a bunch of books that haven't been reprinted in 40 years. I love it.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Eh, just find a quiet corner and shoo away the muttering homeless guy/masturbating creepo/"We're so kinky!" undergrad couple loving in public and you're fine.

At Georgia State, they took every computer lab on campus and jammed them all into the library. It is also the only building on a commuter campus you can get rooms to meet with groups. At this point, it's basically less a library and more a giant study hall with people playing music and hanging out in with large groups of friends.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Richard Bong posted:

Even non obscure things like recent ecological publications are apparently too expensive for my state school. A good 2/3 of the articles in the biological abstracts database were not available, which was a pain in the rear end for the research paper I just wrote.

The ILL is awesome though. I didn't even use it for school stuff, I read a bunch of books that haven't been reprinted in 40 years. I love it.

As a general rule, speaking as a librarian, stuff published within the last year or two is rarely available online as a condition of the journal putting their content online. It's standard practice in most journals to only put things online a year or two after their printing. Print journals are also significantly more expensive than online database access. I have to cancel around two thirds of all incoming ILL requests for journal articles because they want articles published in 2014 or 2015 and those articles aren't available online.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Found this on my way to class today. Can't believe I wasted my time with Kurt Vonnegut or George Orwell when I could have some the best comic books for children available.

cmykJester has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Mar 24, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my college complaint is that i didn't get to take an english class about anime

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What the hell. Is this what you nerds were doing while I was doing STEM stuff? You dork lords.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like to imagine that if I were to take a class about anime, I would know more about anime than the professor

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

This isn't strictly a college complaint but it occurs on campus. Just curious, do other colleges have fundamentalist Christian protesters? We have "free speech alley" where PETA, school organizations, and churches go to hand out fliers and such. I've seen this one group (Their name is something like Consuming Fire) a lot recently. They're will be 2 or 3 men with signs that say "Ask me why you are going to hell" and a bunch of women in skirts passing out the fliers. They always have children with them, usually wearing sandwich boards that say things like "Allah=Satan", "Education Ruins Women" and "Fags/Catholics/Jehovah's Witnesses go to hell". Amazingly, most people ignore them. How do they get away with pulling their kids out of school on a Wednesday at 11am to protest? How are they not banned for hate speech? Is this strictly a Southern thing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Disco Nixon posted:

This isn't strictly a college complaint but it occurs on campus. Just curious, do other colleges have fundamentalist Christian protesters? We have "free speech alley" where PETA, school organizations, and churches go to hand out fliers and such. I've seen this one group (Their name is something like Consuming Fire) a lot recently. They're will be 2 or 3 men with signs that say "Ask me why you are going to hell" and a bunch of women in skirts passing out the fliers. They always have children with them, usually wearing sandwich boards that say things like "Allah=Satan", "Education Ruins Women" and "Fags/Catholics/Jehovah's Witnesses go to hell". Amazingly, most people ignore them. How do they get away with pulling their kids out of school on a Wednesday at 11am to protest? How are they not banned for hate speech? Is this strictly a Southern thing?

If you go to college in the South/Southwest/Midwest, you are going to get people like that. At the university I work at, we get an old guy with a microphone screaming at people about how they're going to hell every two or three weeks, and people putting up big, graphic signs of what are supposedly aborted fetuses. They're not.

As for why they're not prosecuted, it's basically the First Amendment and lack of political (government and at the university) will to actually try prosecuting them for hate speech.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Disco Nixon posted:

This isn't strictly a college complaint but it occurs on campus. Just curious, do other colleges have fundamentalist Christian protesters?

I see a guy like this about once a year at my school. He has a sign and is usually pretty upset with everyone.

There's always, always some dork that attempts to engage him in debate, but at least the school newspaper gets to report on something besides the parking situation and What's Happenin' on Facebook.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

cmykjester posted:

Found this on my way to class today. Can't believe I wasted my time with Kurt Vonnegut or George Orwell when I could have some the best comic books for children available.

No Goku, class not worth taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

cmykjester posted:

Where the gently caress is the DBZ? What kind of bullshit class spends tax payer money and no DBZ?

• Locked thread