Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I was reading Vessbot's time to climb infoposts and was reminded of a super cool fact: The F8F Bearcat held the TTC record for ten years and it did it after only a 150 foot takeoff roll.
The Bearcat might be winning out over the Corsair as my favorite WW2 carrier fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The FAA opened their off-the-street Air Traffic Controller hiring announcement today.

Thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608176

Job announcement here:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/398409000

Closes 3/27.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$22-28K per year? Is that just for while you're in Academy?
e:

quote:

Upon successful completion of the Academy initial training program & other employment requirements, newly hired ATCS's will be offered a permanent appointment at an FAA facility with a basic salary of $37,815, plus applicable locality pay based on facility assignment. Applicants with prior ATC experience will have their salary set in accordance with the ATCS Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon conversion.

Answered my own question if I read a bit further. :downs:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yes

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ctishman posted:

Airbus would like a word over your flagrant abuse of the word "long", which it asserts is the sole property of the A340-600.

Longer than a 747-400. First time I flew in one of Virgin's I was right in the back. I looked forward after sitting down and did a double take - the aisle goes a long, long way. Next thing I noticed was the extremely long take off roll. I became increasingly convinced we were about to roll off the end of the runway and end up in Hounslow.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I stopped by the air park outside the Palmdale, CA airport yesterday and took some photos. They have a small collection of a lot of weird planes that were designed there or used there in some capacity. Also a bunch of century-series fighters. I'm on a laptop and a lovely connection at the moment, so I can't do a full run down right now. But here's one of the coolest: a shuttle carrier 747. It's not roped off or anything, you can walk right up to it (and underneath it!). Very impressive. Right next to a B-52, as well.

Is it the perspective/camera lens or is the engine closer to the camera significantly fatter than the inboard one?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I was watching Charlie Victor Romeo on Netflix (highly recommended) and one of the incidents was the 1995 crash of the Boeing E-3 Sentry Yukla 27 in Alaska. The aircraft struck geese on takeoff and lost the #1 and #2 engine, then lost altitude and crashed after reaching a peak altitude of 250 feet.

I'm wondering, could this aircraft have potentially been saved? There is at least one documented case of a 707 losing the #1 and #2 engines on takeoff and still successfully returning, does the additional weight and drag of the Sentry's radar equipment make this more difficult? It sounds like the Yukla 27 crew was basically letting the plane drift to the left like it wanted to with the left two engines out while attempting to dump fuel, and that seems like that would result in the least drag and best chance of gaining speed and altitude. Is the E-3 Sentry just hosed if it loses two engines on takeoff?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eej posted:

Is it the perspective/camera lens or is the engine closer to the camera significantly fatter than the inboard one?

perspective/camera lens

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Eej posted:

Hah my eyes were doing the same thing - it's definitely perspective shenanigans:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

joat mon posted:

perspective/camera lens

Even NASA is keeping the blacks down.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

hobbesmaster posted:

In before our resident osprey pilot one ups everyone by going 200kias over the fence and hover taxiing over the piano keys or something equally ridiculous.

There are two of us now! That would be a pretty crazy slowdown, even for V-22.

Corn Burst fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 23, 2015

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Combo Historical and Aeronautical Insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfMJYwu5bM0

Guy's grandpa visited Seattle in 1955 and brought along his 16mm. Grandson scanned and digitized the film, resulting in a ridiculously high quality color video of grandpa's tour around Seattle. Oh, also, grandpa was in the Naval Air Reseve, and filmed his aerial tour of Western WA in a PB4Y-2. There's aerial footage of the floating bridge up on Hood Canal, the second Tacoma Narrows bridge, Deception Pass, great low level flying along the Pacific coast, and then close-ups of Rainier and I think a pre-eruption Helens(?). There's some footage of another PB4Y-2 flying with them, and some bonus ball-turret action near the end.

No music, so you'll have to BYO Sail.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Pre-eruption Mt. St. Helens pictures always creep me out. There's just so much mountain that just isn't there anymore.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Wow that guy did a great job scanning that film in as well. :golfclap: That was a good watch. It's always fun to see how much this city has changed as well. And yeah, Pre-Splode St. Helens is always an interesting site. She was a big, big mountain before she popped her top.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Inacio posted:

• The lighting on that Blackbird is loving awesome
• I just love pushers. I swear to god if I ever get enough money I'm getting myself one
• Your kid is adorable

e:

:allears:

Surely everyone's rich fantasy chariot is the Starship?

If you can find one before they're all gone :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Is that last picture from when it was cast back into the fires of Mt. Doom?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Just bombing the Philippines and flying in some low altitude formations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Chin posted:

Is that last picture from when it was cast back into the fires of Mt. Doom?

Seriously, what the gently caress is happening here.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jealous Cow posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is happening here.

Looks like the airplane equivalent of the nice, old car that had a lot of fancy gadgets for its time, but then it got old and broke and somebody tried to fix it but only managed to get it apart before realizing it was far beyond their abilities, so they chucked all the parts willynilly into the interior and listed it on CraigsList as a "mechanics special" and "ran when parked, only needs minor work".

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Terrible Robot posted:

Looks like the airplane equivalent of the nice, old car that had a lot of fancy gadgets for its time, but then it got old and broke and somebody tried to fix it but only managed to get it apart before realizing it was far beyond their abilities, so they chucked all the parts willynilly into the interior and listed it on CraigsList as a "mechanics special" and "ran when parked, only needs minor work".

This, I think. I'm pretty sure it was from an auction site where one went for the grand total of $16,600. Good luck getting them flying.

They were an early example of a full-composite aircraft and as such cost a mint to make - development costs were around $300 million in the 80s. This meant that a single plane was about $5,000,000, which was substantially more than the similar sized king air with a ~20year air frame history (and you could by a small biz jet for that much). Combined with a bunch of other factors this meant uptake was poor, and hence the plane bombed.

The poor Starships had a pretty abrupt and horrid end. Out of the 53 built, only 11 sold so Beechcraft decided to lease the remainder. A few years later Beechcraft decided that support for the fleet was too expensive and recalled the ones it still held for destruction. The majority survived, though, and there's still 9 airworthy ones supported by ~24 frames in various states of stripping or restoration.

e:
There's a good write up on Air&Space for the interested.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 24, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After reading the wikipedia entry for the Starship, they said a few were stored at Marana Regional Airport.

Well, I fired up google maps to take a look.

https://goo.gl/maps/TkOEq

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

smackfu posted:

These are the kind of planes I was thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_F4D_Skyray
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F7U_Cutlass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-11_Tiger

Hundreds built, and under ten years of service before being retired.

My guess would be that those were flown much more, and much harder.
AND/OR
Jet engines were new and progressing so much faster, and less flameout deadlier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Can't a lot of that be attributed to the cold war and the Soviets? As the USSR iterated and improved the MiG, the US had to iterate fighters as well with each generation getting more complex and trying to one up the rival.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I always thought the F-11 Tiger was a drat good looking fighter. Shame it never really worked out in service.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Previa_fun posted:

I always thought the F-11 Tiger was a drat good looking fighter. Shame it never really worked out in service.

The Super Tiger was even better. Grumman engineered it so well that it ended up hitting Mach 2 and hitting a record ceiling of ~76k, neither of which they didn't expect to happen.

I have to admit, though - I wouldn't want to be a crew chief for the Tigers back in the day - I don't know what they were thinking, developing a plane for carrier landings that had a 'low-rider' rear end end.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 24, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Spaced God posted:

I was reading Vessbot's time to climb infoposts and was reminded of a super cool fact: The F8F Bearcat held the TTC record for ten years and it did it after only a 150 foot takeoff roll.
The Bearcat might be winning out over the Corsair as my favorite WW2 carrier fighter.

If you really need something to push it over the edge, then know that early bearcats had explosive mounted wing tips that would blow off if the G limit was exceeded.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

bull3964 posted:

After reading the wikipedia entry for the Starship, they said a few were stored at Marana Regional Airport.

Huh, I wonder what's up with the pile of A-4s at the other end of the airport.

*edit* Ooh, And a pair of connies.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 24, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bull3964 posted:

The next time that part of google maps updates, you won't see those anymore, they are gone now. That's the lot that the Border Region SCCA autocrosses on, and it's completely empty of aircraft now. They were completely non-flight worthy (no engines and pretty run down), so not sure if they were moved into a hanger, or finally just stripped down and scrapped.

Edit:

Screenshot from my GoPro from an event back in 2011 -

You can see that they don't have vertical stabilizers, and there are 6 of them back then.

If you are really bored, you can watch the video for a few different angles of them during my run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VVjSmQxZs

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 24, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To be fair, the reason poo poo got done more quickly back then is because 1) the D-I base was still working out how to horse-gently caress the government out of every cent possible through red tape and loopholes, and 2) even though the car factories stopped making tanks, all the engineers who were given carte blanche to pretty much try and develop anything that'll shorten the war were still alive and very talented.

Most of the bullshit revolving around something like the F-35's development and deployment stems from the coming together of mechanical/aeronautics engineers and computer hardware/software engineers/coders having to make things work in harmony instead of 0/1 code that determines whether or not a missile is armed or not. Case in point, the Raptors almost suffering a catastrophe because no one thought to ask 'hey what happens if/when they cross the international date line' and 'ooops, guess our planes don't need that gun for IOC anyway.'

The gun thing was always the way the system was supposed to be procured (spiral development), it wasn't a software bug. It was always supposed to be included in the 3F software release, which was always* supposed to release in 2017.

The no gun/IOC thing isn't the Program Office's fault, it's the fault of the Marine Aviation for being morons (also the fault of the AF too, but at least we're declaring IOC with the 3i OFP only a year ahead of 3F's scheduled release, not 2B like the Marines declaring IOC in a couple months).

* Always being with the current baseline that was established several years back...I'm sure you could find some slides from the early '00s or whatever that talk about FOC in 2010 or something ludicrous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Locator posted:

The next time that part of google maps updates, you won't see those anymore, they are gone now. That's the lot that the Border Region SCCA autocrosses on, and it's completely empty of aircraft now. They were completely non-flight worthy (no engines and pretty run down), so not sure if they were moved into a hanger, or finally just stripped down and scrapped.

Edit:

Screenshot from my GoPro from an event back in 2011 -

You can see that they don't have vertical stabilizers, and there are 6 of them back then.

If you are really bored, you can watch the video for a few different angles of them during my run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VVjSmQxZs

Only on SA can you post a Google maps sat view of some random airport and have someone post ground level pictures a few posts later.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Are we still talking about Catalinas?

That's a Mallard.

The Locator posted:

Starships never had a vertical tail. The wingtips served as vertical stabilizers. That's a large part of the reason they's so good looking!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Advent Horizon posted:

Starships never had a vertical tail. The wingtips served as vertical stabilizers. That's a large part of the reason they's so good looking!

Yea, fairly dumb of me considering there are a bunch of magnificent pictures of them flying just a few posts up.

In any case, all 6 of the airframes at Marana were clearly being used for spare parts, so I really doubt that they left the airport under their own power.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

zzuupp posted:

My guess would be that those were flown much more, and much harder.
AND/OR
Jet engines were new and progressing so much faster, and less flameout deadlier.

Most of the turnover was driven by the simple fact that aircraft design was advancing very rapidly during the 1950's (of the three aircraft listed, only the F-11 started design work after 1950), since high speed aerodynamics were only beginning to be understood, and technologies like jet engines and radar were making enormous leaps in capability that rendered designs obsolete within a very short timeframe.

By the late 1950's/early 1960's, supersonic aerodynamics were much better understood and jet engines and radar had both matured substantially (not to mention guided missiles), which meant that aircraft designed during the later 1950's (the F-4 for instance) often stayed in service much longer than aircraft designed only a couple of years earlier, due to the basic airframes being designed with an understanding of high speed flight and maneuvering, as well as being built to incorporate things like radar and guided missiles. In the case of the Phantom, since the core airframe was designed around supersonic flight, missiles, and radar, it was possible to keep the aircraft updated by just installing improved engines, electronics, or missiles as technology advanced, instead of having to completely redesign the aircraft every few years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that aircraft that didn't incorporate computers (not to mention stealth) as part of their design were far cheaper to design and build than their modern counterparts, so replacing them every decade or so wasn't as costly as it would be now.

As an example, adjusted for inflation, a late production F-4 cost about $18 million, whereas a new F/A-18 Super Hornet runs about $57 million. Once you start incorporating stealth, things get even more costly. When production finished in 1997, each B-2 cost about $737 million out the door (not counting development costs), whereas the less-stealthy B-1B only ran about $283 million each in 1998. For shits and giggles, I ran the cost of a B-52H (built in 1962) through an inflation calculator, which said that the inflation adjusted cost in 1997-98 dollars would have been about $71 million.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 24, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I want those seats.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

A Handed Missus posted:

I wonder what's written on the glass. I presume that's what I see in the sky?

I want one of the seats too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CommieGIR posted:

I love pusher designs, but I love tractor push/pull designs even more

You sexy bastard

I think you all are due for another Rocket post too.

It's so cute how you made a scale air museum to display your model planes in.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

A Handed Missus posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but when did the Phils need bombing and by whom? WWII and the bombs were actually for the Japanese?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bolind posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but when did the Phils need bombing and by whom? WWII and the bombs were actually for the Japanese?

Yes. Kinda like "bombing France" actually meant "bombing Germans who happen to be in France".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

poo poo. Germanwings A-320 from Barcelona to Düsseldorf with 148 passengers and crew down in the Alps.

e: Flightradar 24 shows it maintaining 38000 feet over the Med, started a 3000+ ft/min descent after making landfall which it maintained until contact was lost.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/d-aipx/#5d42675

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

Yes. Kinda like "bombing France" actually meant "bombing Germans who happen to be in France".

They didn't care much about collateral damage back then, what with not having precision munitions.