Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mastajake posted:

Oh man, that was a good read (listen). Thanks for the recommendations guys! I've never read any Stephen King, so now I'm trying out The Stand to see if it's as good.
The audiobook for 11/22/63 is excellent, one of the best I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The audiobook for It read by Steven Weber is easily the best I've ever heard.

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Shakugan posted:

Everyone should check out the audiobooks of the Red Rising series (Red Rising and it's sequel Golden Son). The books themselves are absolutely incredible (Red Rising starts out as an extremely well done Hunger Games/Spartacus mashup that becomes so much more). The narrator is fantastic, having distinct voices for characters and delivering epic speeches in grand fashion that'll have you fist pumping in the subway on your morning commute.

Plus, while the series is ongoing he seems to be absolutely churning out these novels at a good rate.

java
May 7, 2005

For what it's worth, I thought the audiobook of Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" was excellent. It's actually ready by Donna Tartt and she gave some interesting voices to some of the characters that I thought really added to the way I pictured the characters.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
God-loving-dammit! So I've been listening more or less concurrently to 4 books (actually for quite a while now; I've almost entirely switched to podcasts, it seems, for my listening needs), and I guess that's not allowed because Audible keeps resetting them to the start from time to time... Or maybe it's only one book it doesn't like specifically, I can't tell. In any case, supremely annoying... Actually, the book that's affected is the last one I bought, which would make sense if I've run into some stupid limit.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish I had more time to listen to audiobooks... I used to really enjoy zoning out and listening to them while doing pretty solo contract work (network wiring, etc). Now I work in a more customer service position and have to be pretty attentive and can't zone out as much. My wife has a perfect job for audiobooks though, being a researcher sorting archaeological fragments, and I am pretty jealous of that!

Anyhow, I'd recommend Cormic McCarthey's The Road or Blood Meridian. The narration on both is excellent, even though you sometimes feel you miss out on being able to stop and re-read some of the nice prose in the audio format. But it is a good introduction to that excellent author, especially with how loving dark both novels are.

Fun fact: Blood Meridian, with how loving dark and brutal it is, is apparently based completely on real events.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

supermikhail posted:

God-loving-dammit! So I've been listening more or less concurrently to 4 books (actually for quite a while now; I've almost entirely switched to podcasts, it seems, for my listening needs), and I guess that's not allowed because Audible keeps resetting them to the start from time to time... Or maybe it's only one book it doesn't like specifically, I can't tell. In any case, supremely annoying... Actually, the book that's affected is the last one I bought, which would make sense if I've run into some stupid limit.

This happened to me during City of Stairs. It took forever to figure out where I was because I completely wasn't paying attention to chapters or time.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

The audiobook for 11/22/63 is excellent, one of the best I've ever heard.

Who was the narrator? I guess there are two versions.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The one I read and enjoyed was by Craig Wasson.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It used to be that I could change my Billing Address on Audible to purchase Audiobooks in other regions - I think this may have been fixed as I'm getting the "not available in your region" for most books despite a US billing address. Anyone else getting this?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Whoever recommended the Flashman audiobooks is a saint, they've seen me through 26 hours of driving the past few days. Narrator is perfect, as stated.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If you like Flashman, Rupert Degas does a fantastic reading of Arthur Conan Doyle's Brigadier Gerard stories, which are a huge influence on Fraser's work. Gerard's exploits are also available for free on Gutenberg, if you're stingy. (Adventures is the better collection; the stories in it are funnier, and a bit more serious, and it covers the Battle of Waterloo)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 23, 2015

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Alikchi posted:

Narrator is perfect, as stated.

He's definitely perfect for Flashman, but his American accents are horrible. I don't really have perspective on his other non-English accents (although his "Chinese" voice is, like, one "l"-for-"r" substitution away from being racist as hell), but his "Southern" accent made me start shouting at my car's stereo.

Just finished The Black Tower, by Louis Bayard and Child 44, by Tom Rob Smith. I liked both, and thought they were both well-written... except that they lathered the plot contrivances on pretty thick. And they both kinda splutter to an end, rather than finish strong. Otherwise, though, good stuff.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Almost all of my books so far this year have been audiobooks, I'm pressed for time but when I'm cleaning, driving, or doing monotonous tasks they're life savers.

I just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue. I believe the author was inspired by the Fritzl case (that case in Austria where a woman had been kept in isolation by her father for 20+ years as a sex slave, and she had kids, a few lived in isolation with her).

The narration is all done from the POV of the victim's child, five-year-old Jack. The Narrator is a female who does a really good job but... listening to an audiobook that is entirely written from a childs POV can get pretty old. I finished it in the end, but I wouldn't give it another go.

I'm trying to find good horror audiobooks. A while ago I listened to "IT" by Steven King and it was such a good listen, I'm giving "The Shining" a go now. But if anyone has some good recommendations for audio horror please pass them on to me.

I'm a bit burnt out on Zombie anything right now, but most others are good to go.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Obese Janissary posted:

I'm trying to find good horror audiobooks. A while ago I listened to "IT" by Steven King and it was such a good listen, I'm giving "The Shining" a go now. But if anyone has some good recommendations for audio horror please pass them on to me.

I'm a bit burnt out on Zombie anything right now, but most others are good to go.

The Troop by Nick Cutter is excellent. Genuinely creepy and scary with some of the grossest body-horror in recent memory.

Red Moon by Benjamin Percy is an awesome supernatural horror epic in the vein of King.

Those two are the best and most memorable horror audiobooks I've listened to in the past few years. Both have great narration too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

savinhill posted:

Red Moon by Benjamin Percy is an awesome supernatural horror epic in the vein of King.

You aren't kidding. Suggestion: don't start this right before you go to sleep, because it doesn't let up.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Audible is having a nice sale today, in which you can pick up some great listens, including the much ballyhooed (and fully excellent) The Lies of Locke Lamora for $6.95

https://www.audible.com/mt/Most-Wanted-Sale/

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I've been listening to Andy Weir's The Martian, narrated by R.C. Bray and it's fantastic. Bray totally nails the (somewhat gallows) humor of the main character, and manages to do accents in a largely unobtrusive and natural sounding way.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Strange Matter posted:

I've been listening to Andy Weir's The Martian, narrated by R.C. Bray and it's fantastic. Bray totally nails the (somewhat gallows) humor of the main character, and manages to do accents in a largely unobtrusive and natural sounding way.

This is the one that got me into audiobooks. So good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Strange Matter posted:

One of my favorite audiobooks ever; he was the perfect narrator for it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Syrinxx posted:

One of my favorite audiobooks ever; he was the perfect narrator for it.
Yeah there's an amazing line reading in the chapter where the habitat breaches where Mark sings "I'm aliiiive and I'm in the rover!"

So good. Also Got it. Gay probe coming to save me.

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Anybody else enjoy books where the multiple viewpoints are done by different narrators? I just listened to Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Beam" by Sean Platt and Johnny Truant and I have to say that it has kept it really entertaining.

Also it's totally worth downloading if you get a chance. It's the closest thing to a modern serial radio drama I've heard in a long time. Great if you're looking for scifi that kinda feels like a tv show. As annoying as it is that they call them "seasons" as opposed to books one and two but the shoe fits.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I enjoyed it in Dark Places.

Also I've really been enjoying the Magic 2.0 novels lately. It's a humorous fantasy that revolves around the universe actually being a computer program that can be edited.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Robotnik posted:

Anybody else enjoy books where the multiple viewpoints are done by different narrators? I just listened to Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Beam" by Sean Platt and Johnny Truant and I have to say that it has kept it really entertaining.

Also it's totally worth downloading if you get a chance. It's the closest thing to a modern serial radio drama I've heard in a long time. Great if you're looking for scifi that kinda feels like a tv show. As annoying as it is that they call them "seasons" as opposed to books one and two but the shoe fits.
"Yesterday's Gone", also by Sean Platt and by David Wright. Only 2 seasons are on audiobook so far and let me tell you, if you want an actual tv show, with all its non-explanations of wtf is going on and insane cliffhangers between seasons, this is your thing. Warning though, one of the main characters is a really evil dude and does evil dude stuff.

fakeedit: recommending "The Golem and the Jinni" from the sale

Kraps fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 22, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Picked up Weir's Martian because of you guys, and it is every bit as excellent as I was led to believe. Thanks. Any suggestions for a good Scott Brick-narrated book to listen to? I first found him by listening to Clive Cussler on long car rides (on CASSETTE) and haven't gotten much since Asimov's Foundation. How much of Dune does he actually narrate, and does anyone know how many people I have to murder to find the George Guidall/Recorded Books version?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tanith posted:

Any suggestions for a good Scott Brick-narrated book to listen to?
He's extremely prolific but I enjoyed Ender's Game, Spin, Gap Cycle, The Traveler, Foundation, he's even narrated a nonfiction history of salt (yes, table salt) that I could not stop listening to.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Syrinxx posted:

He's extremely prolific but I enjoyed Ender's Game, Spin, Gap Cycle, The Traveler, Foundation, he's even narrated a nonfiction history of salt (yes, table salt) that I could not stop listening to.

If you like books like Salt (interesting, focused nonfiction about things we take for granted), you should check out Victoria Finlay (has one book about pigments, one book about gemstones) and Deborah Blum's Poisoner's Handbook (history of forensics in NYC).

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I quite enjoyed Brick's reading of Moneyball. He had the perfect voice to convey the perspective of a wearied sports insider.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

He does the readings for Erik Larson books (Devil in The White City, In The Garden of Beasts, and the brand new Dead Wake). He does really well with those.

If you like narrative nonfiction, this is a good way to go. Larson is a master at it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh good, another chance to talk about how great The Quantum Thief is! I'm almost finished with book 2, The Fractal Prince. Unfortunately, he doesn't do book 3. That'll be an odd change, hopefully it's not too jarring. Anyways, I'm so happy this dude has narrated so many books. I'll probably pick up his narration of Foundation soon.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Edit: ^^^Ha, really? Well glad I'm not alone on this one.

I really liked Scott Brick's narration of Hannu Rajaneimi's The Quantum Thief, and I think he did The Fractal Prince as well, although Audible has a different narrator for the third book in the trilogy. Granted Rajaneimi is kind of impenetrable on a first read but Brick's performance is pretty rad and, as far as I'm concerned, he is Jean LeFlambeur.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Strange Matter posted:

Edit: ^^^Ha, really? Well glad I'm not alone on this one.

I really liked Scott Brick's narration of Hannu Rajaneimi's The Quantum Thief, and I think he did The Fractal Prince as well, although Audible has a different narrator for the third book in the trilogy. Granted Rajaneimi is kind of impenetrable on a first read but Brick's performance is pretty rad and, as far as I'm concerned, he is Jean LeFlambeur.

Seriously I can't shut up about this book. Yes, he narrates TFP too, and I've heard that there's a different narrator for The Causal Angel. It's a seriously confusing, yet beautiful book, and Brick's narration is perfect. I've given up on really trying to understand everything on first listen and just enjoy the ride (however I frequently use the rewind-30-seconds button). I'm reading previous chapters from the books and scouring any wikipedia entries to try to make more sense out of it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
It's easier to parse what Rajaneimi is trying to get at in the text. The Quantum Thief is the first audiobook that I listed to where I immediately went and read the physical book afterwards, and still had a very rich experience.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Any good readings of crime novels out there from the law's perspective? I have a hankering for some cop drama and jargon that goes along with law enforcement.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I bought The Martian on Kindle a couple of years ago and really liked it.

Turns out it's $2.99 more to add the audiobook.

gently caress, I love Amazon's kindle-audio setup when it does that.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I bought The Martian on Kindle a couple of years ago and really liked it.

Turns out it's $2.99 more to add the audiobook.

gently caress, I love Amazon's kindle-audio setup when it does that.

FWIW, the Kindle Unlimited includes the free audiobook on a lot of the titles. Even if it doesn't you can still get the discounted price on the audio by checking out the kindle book.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Tanith posted:

How much of Dune does he actually narrate, and does anyone know how many people I have to murder to find the George Guidall/Recorded Books version?

I don't remember which character he does but it's one of the men close to the family.

Here's the thing with the Dune narration though: it's true that there are several voice actors and Simon Vance is the "narrator", however, this isn't always true. Interspersed with the full cast parts, there are parts where Vance is the sole reader and does all the voices, and this switching between just Vance and the full cast keeps happening. Being new to the Dune series, the first few times this happened I got really confused about who was what, and the inconsistency kept throwing me out of the story and made me really dislike Vance. I don't know why they did it this way, no one ever should.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Appoda posted:

Any good readings of crime novels out there from the law's perspective? I have a hankering for some cop drama and jargon that goes along with law enforcement.

It might not be quite what you're after, but Terry Pratchett's Discworld series has a line of excellent books about law enforcement where the main character is a cop. They're more comedy than drama though, and the setting is medieval fantasy rather than modern. They're read by Nigel Planer and Stephen Briggs, who are both good narrators I think.

Start with "Guards! Guards!" if you want to get right to the law enforcement bit, or you could read "The Colour of Magic" first for backstory/world-building:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

XBenedict posted:

FWIW, the Kindle Unlimited includes the free audiobook on a lot of the titles. Even if it doesn't you can still get the discounted price on the audio by checking out the kindle book.

Is that part of my Prime account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Peas and Rice posted:

Is that part of my Prime account?

No, it's an addon. http://www.amazon.com/b?node=9578129011