Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I heard that nearly every train engineer with more than two years of experience has been involved in a fatal collision with a car. Is there any truth to that?

Also, thanks to all the folks recommending uBlock here. My computer is nearly old enough for gradeschool now and I definitely noticed a difference on installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I heard that nearly every train engineer with more than two years of experience has been involved in a fatal collision with a car. Is there any truth to that?

Also, thanks to all the folks recommending uBlock here. My computer is nearly old enough for gradeschool now and I definitely noticed a difference on installing.

Sounds like bullshit.

Bureau of Labor Statistics says there were 67,100 train operators/engineers in 2010.

Fatal train accidents have been trending downwards... just 267 fatalities in 2014, out of 2,280 collisions. 832 injuries though. 2010 numbers - 2,051 collisions, 260 fatalities, 887 injuries.

What isn't clear to me is if that figure includes suicides, so no automotive aspect. I found a figure that says there was 173 suicides by train in 2011 in the US, so the number isn't significant and I'm gonna guess the above doesn't count it.

2280/67100= 0.033. So a given operator has a 3% chance of being involved in a collision in a year... this is probably low as there are going to be operators/engineers that never leave a rail yard. Operators going cross country or operating commuter rail probably have higher likelihood of being involved in a collision.

260+173=433

433/67100= 0.0064, so less than a 1% chance of being involved in a fatal collision, including suicides. Again the number is probably lower than reality.

cat_snake
Nov 19, 2014

The sound effects made it for me.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

I have no idea why this is so amusing.

And it reminded me of the best (Out of one, I guess.) pizza throwing incident ever.

Here comes the pizza!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSQMXLO95w

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I really wish one of those great gif wizards would change the arrow painted on the street to match how the car drove. Ending with a horizontal line left going off the screen.

https://fat.gfycat.com/GentleClearHellbender.webm

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

A White Guy posted:

Ah, the Mosquito :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKl_sTh0oHE

Warning: this poo poo hurts to hear.

From the wiki: "The maximum potential output sound pressure level is stated by the manufacturer to be 108 decibels (dB)."

Keep in mind that even if you can't perceive the sound, it's still dangerous to your hearing to be exposed to it. The real 'fruede is all the shopkeepers out there who made themselves deaf out of spite.

I played this poo poo for literally 4 seconds and all four of my dogs began barking, and I got a little queezy. I'm also 29 and I could hear it. That was awful.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

skylined! posted:

I played this poo poo for literally 4 seconds and all four of my dogs began barking, and I got a little queezy. I'm also 29 and I could hear it. That was awful.

I found it a little irritating, but with four little brothers, a lovely high school experience and a number of terrible bosses I kinda have to label the Mosquito as 'Small-time'.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Ah, the Mosquito :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKl_sTh0oHE

Warning: this poo poo hurts to hear.

From the wiki: "The maximum potential output sound pressure level is stated by the manufacturer to be 108 decibels (dB)."

Keep in mind that even if you can't perceive the sound, it's still dangerous to your hearing to be exposed to it. The real 'fruede is all the shopkeepers out there who made themselves deaf out of spite.

We have a "deer repeller" in our front yard that emits that noise. It does gently caress all for the deer but it certainly annoyed several pizza delivery guys.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

skylined! posted:

It's like someone left a CRT TV on all the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Renzuko posted:

We have a "deer repeller" in our front yard that emits that noise. It does gently caress all for the deer but it certainly annoyed several pizza delivery guys.

Then you, my friend, have a Pizza Delivery Boy Annoyer.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Have some cute freude.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tony Phillips posted:

And it reminded me of the best (Out of one, I guess.) pizza throwing incident ever.

Here comes the pizza!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSQMXLO95w

This is way funnier than it has any right being.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I love how he could tell he hosed up the taco catch and tried to abort before it hit him.

Fritz is bad at catching food, but he's pretty great at being a dog.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Yes, it certainly is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skylined! posted:

I'm 39 and have a bit of an annoying ringing in my ears (the kind I really notice when it's otherwise totally silent, and it's just prevalent enough to bug me), and I can hear the sound in this video as clear as day.

I don't know if I'm in good shape or bad now. :psyduck:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Data Graham posted:

I'm 39 and have a bit of an annoying ringing in my ears (the kind I really notice when it's otherwise totally silent, and it's just prevalent enough to bug me), and I can hear the sound in this video as clear as day.

I don't know if I'm in good shape or bad now. :psyduck:

A lot of consumer speakers can't actually reproduce sounds that high - most people can't hear them, so why bother? It's possible that you're instead hearing lower-frequency distortion.

In a similar vein, it's possible that a lot of people who aren't hearing anything in that video are actually capable of hearing the sound, but their speakers have a low-pass filter to prevent distortion from those high-frequency tones and so aren't actually playing anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The amazing thing about this gif is that it's actually worse than it looks. The driver originally comes through from the other side as the gates are closing, does a u-turn, and then drives through the completely closed gates.

Sadly, my google-fu has failed me today and I can't find the full clip.

EDIT: found it!

Shocking Footage of Texas Train Colliding with Family SUV, All Miraculously Survive

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Mar 24, 2015

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I decided tonight as I was watching a report about people being hit by trains on Nightly News that I'm okay with people being hit by trains as long as they aren't pushed onto the tracks by someone else.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

im pooping! posted:

I decided tonight as I was watching a report about people being hit by trains on Nightly News that I'm okay with people being hit by trains as long as they aren't pushed onto the tracks by someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atU33HD-Ln0
(don't watch this if you like cows)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cows are equal parts adorable and completely stupid creatures but I love them anyways. Especially rare with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tusen Takk posted:

Cows are equal parts adorable and completely stupid creatures but I love them anyways. Especially rare with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus.

How about just plain mashed?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Holy gently caress, I'm glad I'm not this guy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a33sr9UGvo

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This might be old hat for some folks, but I've never seen Obama's roasts at the White House correspondents' dinner. As someone who loathes Donald Trump, gotta say this one was pretty awesome (The Donald does NOT seem to be taking it like a good sport in the reaction shots):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJpWOY3r18

It got so much better just one day later.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/president-obamas-trump-joke-comes-to-life-osama-bin-laden-news-preempts-celebrity-apprentice/

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Tusen Takk posted:

They have nothing on reindeer. A train got a reindeer multikill this winter that approached triple digits and I had the pleasure of driving by later.

fe: They are also more delicious than cows.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Not only can I not hear the sound in the video (I'm 23) but now I know that the ringing sound I have in my ears when it's super quiet is tinnitus.

Then again this thread showed me ublock, so it evens out in the end.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Up here in Alaska, moose constantly try to cross railroad bridges (because they are the only bridges for a million miles sometimes). Their legs will often go between the slats, and all four legs will then fall through and the moose gets stuck. Then a train comes, and cleanly severs the head and torso from all four legs, which plop down into the water. The drat moose can't move, they can just flail about and watch their own impending deaths and contemplate the poor choices they made that led to them being stuck in the middle of a railroad bridge.

It's a metaphor for a lot of things we humans face, but to the moose it's a train to the noggin.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

poor moose :(

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Craptacular posted:

An ex girlfriend of mine has the last name Fox. Her dad's parents were German immigrants and he became a teacher. Apparently American school children saw the name "Fuchs" and instantly referred to him as Mr. Fucks.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Can't they use the big mosquito to scare off the moose?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

kenny powerzzz posted:

An ex girlfriend of mine has the last name Fox. Her dad's parents were German immigrants and he became a teacher. Apparently American school children saw the name "Fuchs" and instantly referred to him as Mr. Fucks.

Was his first name Fred, by any chance?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Craptacular posted:

quote:

Talented: Mr F**k, a student at Medicine Hat College in Alberta, said: 'It doesn't mean what people think it means. In German it means "fox"'

No it doesn't. "Fuchs" would be fox. And neither gently caress nor fuchs is pronounced foo-kee. This article confuses me.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

No it doesn't. "Fuchs" would be fox. And neither gently caress nor fuchs is pronounced foo-kee. This article confuses me.

It's the Daily Mail so there is a good chance some or all of it is just straight up bullshit. Especially "funny" quotes like that tend to be tacked onto otherwise factual stories to make them completely absurd.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

Can't they use the big mosquito to scare off the moose?

Alaskan mosquitoes can carry off small children but a moose is at least one order of magnitude larger than a Palin babby.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'll never understand how this creature is just so uninterested in a large, loud object with bright lights hurtling straight at them.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cows are not the brightest livestock. Say you lock cows in a barn with some horses, and then light it on fire. The horses will panic and kick their way out of the barn. They will literally break their legs busting down solid wood doors. Cows, on the other hand, will sit in the barn, mooing ever more urgently as it gets hotter and hotter, never understanding that all it has to do to survive it kick open the goddamn barn door, and will instead burn to death.

Horses aren't too bright either, but cows are the dumbest livestock we breed. They have zero self-preservation instinct.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

I'll never understand how this creature is just so uninterested in a large, loud object with bright lights hurtling straight at them.

Trains are fairly quiet until passing by and don't look much like any predators. It's really a design flaw that trains dont resemble charging bears or lions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Anosmoman posted:

Trains are fairly quiet until passing by and don't look much like any predators. It's really a design flaw that trains dont resemble charging bears or lions.

Well he does lay on the whistle

Also, I agree that trains should resemble apex predators but merely because it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Well he does lay on the whistle

Also, I agree that trains should resemble apex predators but merely because it is awesome.

I think evolution will eventually recognize that trains are linear apex predators. It will take a few generations of hoofed slaughter to recognize it, that's all.

• Locked thread