Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
This cam sensor O-ring becomes brittle and hard as hell. Thankfully, it's an easy replacement, right under your valve cover, by the coils. Best to do alongside your valve cover gasket. Shouldn't take anyone more than an hour, including readjusting your timing.

http://i.imgur.com/fCbohXI.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Any special tools required? I have a gently caress ton of wrenches but I've never done more than an oil change before on a car

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
Some pliers and standard metric wrenches/sockets. You'll need wrenches to reach some bolts. Also, NA timing adjustment requires a jumper wire (paperclip) and possibly a timing light. Or "eh, gently caress it. I'll play it by ear."

http://www.miata.net/garage/cas_seal.html

http://www.miata.net/garage/valvecover/

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
No special tools required to get the cam angle sensor out. You might need a timing light to readjust timing but if you mark the position properly you should be fine. You should also check the heater hose directly below it which will be hosed up if oil has been dripping onto it.

Be sure to check the position of the two tangs on the rotating tip. They are slightly off center so they can only go back in the same way, but you will save some headache if you make a note of the general position beforehand. The side of one tang is smooth and the other is dimpled so you can tell which is which. Also, don't be afraid to use some force to push the sensor back in since the new O-ring will be a tight fit. I did not do/realize any of these things and it took a good frustrating hour for me to get it back in.

This is without taking the valve cover off. I imagine it would be a lot easier if you do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

destructo posted:

Yep, in stock! 15x9s should be here soon too.

So how is the fitment with those? Will they work if you just roll the fenders?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Remove the fender liners in the front, roll the fenders on all 4 corners, and slightly pull in the front.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Goofy rear end transmission ratios have been posted:

Gear Ratios:
MT
1st 5.087
2nd 2.991
3rd 2.035
4th 1.594
5th 1.286
6th 1.000
Reverse 4.696
Final Drive 2.866

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone interested in NC carpet floor mats, NC stock antenna or 303 convertible top cleaner/fabric guard for canvas tops? Good price for goons.

Mats - http://www.amazon.com/MAZDA-MIATA-2006-2012-CARPETED-FLOOR/dp/B00853NUMO/
303 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8JNF0/

Xpost in the AI Marketplace thread.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Gear Ratios:
MT
1st 5.087
2nd 2.991
3rd 2.035
4th 1.594
5th 1.286
6th 1.000
Reverse 4.696
Final Drive 2.866

That final drive can't be right, that's like a 70's V8 luxobarge final drive ratio. :psyduck:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

HotCanadianChick posted:

That final drive can't be right, that's like a 70's V8 luxobarge final drive ratio. :psyduck:

But the transmission ratios are semi truck low gears.

This car will end up being dyno'd in 6th gear. :psyduck:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If my car has failed AC with absolutely no refrigerant in it, it means the leak is too bad to just throw new stuff in, right? I dont see anything missing, whats the way to find a leak before florida gets hot again?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If my car has failed AC with absolutely no refrigerant in it, it means the leak is too bad to just throw new stuff in, right? I dont see anything missing, whats the way to find a leak before florida gets hot again?

UV dye. You should be able to buy a can of refrigerant with UV dye in it from your local auto parts shop.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Phone posted:

Gear Ratios:
MT
1st 5.087
2nd 2.991
3rd 2.035
4th 1.594
5th 1.286
6th 1.000
Reverse 4.696
Final Drive 2.866

Presumably the gearbox is marginally more efficient in direct drive as opposed to a typical overdrive in top gear?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Edmund Honda posted:

Presumably the gearbox is marginally more efficient in direct drive as opposed to a typical overdrive in top gear?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Have the cruising gear be a pass through = no drive train losses = more fuel efficient.

Was talking with Sav earlier, and he said that the ratios are similar to an NB 6-speed with a 3.83 rear end (note: not 3.909).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hikaki posted:

No special tools required to get the cam angle sensor out. You might need a timing light to readjust timing but if you mark the position properly you should be fine. You should also check the heater hose directly below it which will be hosed up if oil has been dripping onto it.

Be sure to check the position of the two tangs on the rotating tip. They are slightly off center so they can only go back in the same way, but you will save some headache if you make a note of the general position beforehand. The side of one tang is smooth and the other is dimpled so you can tell which is which. Also, don't be afraid to use some force to push the sensor back in since the new O-ring will be a tight fit. I did not do/realize any of these things and it took a good frustrating hour for me to get it back in.

This is without taking the valve cover off. I imagine it would be a lot easier if you do.

Definitely do it and the VC gasket at the same time, makes it much easier.

Also I have 9 extra O-rings if anyone needs one, bought a 10 pack when I did mine.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I fount the CAS o ring a lot easier to do than people make it out to be. Disconnected the coil pack and pushed it out of the way and I was done in under 30 min.

As for the hard top, here's pictures of the latches and the plates on my car.

One side I can get to clip in but the other isn't quite lined up. I have my suspicion that it's related to to soft top not getting pressed far enough in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The side plates on the car have a little bit of adjustment room, loosen the bolts and see if you can swing them forward or back enough to meet. Some hardtops I've seen are also diagonally warped from sitting end-on in storage so you might need to give it some leverage from outside the car to make it reach both latches

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

opengl128 posted:

Definitely do it and the VC gasket at the same time, makes it much easier.

Also I have 9 extra O-rings if anyone needs one, bought a 10 pack when I did mine.

I'll take you up on an O-ring. Been meaning to fix mine for a while but :effort:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Maksimus54 posted:

I'll take you up on an O-ring. Been meaning to fix mine for a while but :effort:

Shoot me an email with your address, my username at gmail. May not be able to get it out for a week or so.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I ended up with a tight slot and a big set of tangs when I helped a friend with their CAS, so I ended up taking the cover off the CAS itself to align the tangs by hand before pushing it in. Put the cover back on with a right angle screwdriver ratchet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Well figured out my hardtop problems. Seems the glass window top I got on the super cheap is not compatible with my roll bar so it doesn't let the roof go low enough for the hardtop to fit right. Being that the top is leaking, looks like I'll be replacing it soon. Thinking Robbins OEM style plastic with zipper.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Commodore_64 posted:

I ended up with a tight slot and a big set of tangs when I helped a friend with their CAS, so I ended up taking the cover off the CAS itself to align the tangs by hand before pushing it in. Put the cover back on with a right angle screwdriver ratchet.

Cool, I checked it out and the CAS was oily as gently caress underneath so I think that might be my problem. It's warmed up in Denver now and things seem to have stopped leaking. I'll just put this off until fall.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A MIRACLE posted:

Cool, I checked it out and the CAS was oily as gently caress underneath so I think that might be my problem. It's warmed up in Denver now and things seem to have stopped leaking. I'll just put this off until fall.

Check the heater core hoses that are right under the CAS. The oil dripping on them wears them out much faster so you might want to just replace them as well when you do the o-ring.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

Check the heater core hoses that are right under the CAS. The oil dripping on them wears them out much faster so you might want to just replace them as well when you do the o-ring.

Is that true for the 1.6? I mean the oil wears them out but are they where they get dripped on? Mine seemed dry even though my car sprayed oil like a sprinkler with a 25 year old CAS o ring. I used a marker to draw a line before I loosened it and changed mine in 10 minutes lined right back up. I didn't have to move anythng.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

YES. If your CAS was leaking you need to replace the heater hoses.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

leica posted:

YES. If your CAS was leaking you need to replace the heater hoses.

Do it, I replaced my CAS after a leak and didnt do the hoses. A week later they exploded.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey Sadi, where do the heater hose lines explode onto exactly? :allears:

(I've had the same poo poo happen; replace your heater hoses, kids)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Haha yeah mine blew all over the headers and made quite the smoke show.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Going to try and find time to foamectomy the NA this week.

Two questions:
Taking out the additional pad in the back won't do much for lowering my seating position, right? Legs are good, my torso is just too tall.
Is cutting the bottom hump out of the seat cushion still the recommended way to go? I'd like to have the option to reverse it if if it doesn't work out, and slicing one chunk off the bottom seems the way to do that vs slicing a bunch of little pieces out of the top to shape the seat. Long term, does cutting the bottom piece cause any butt soreness, or for your butt to hit the metal seat cradle? I imagine it's like sinking into the middle of a donut or innertube; any bad hip stuff going on there?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What could cause a high pitched squeal from the engine when revving in neutral or with the clutch depressed? I haven't noticed it in gear. It seems to happen if I stab the throttle to higher than 3000 rpms

Edit I think it might be a belt noise? It happened briefly on startup once but I haven't been able to replicate the startup noise. Might depend on what gear I'm in vs neutral. Also now there is a low whine present while driving that gets higher in pitch with speed increase

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 22, 2015

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

A MIRACLE posted:

What could cause a high pitched squeal from the engine when revving in neutral or with the clutch depressed? I haven't noticed it in gear. It seems to happen if I stab the throttle to higher than 3000 rpms

On what model? On an NA, greasing the clutch pushrod might be a really quick fix.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

meltie posted:

On what model? On an NA, greasing the clutch pushrod might be a really quick fix.

It's a 1.6, no power steering, no air conditioning. Posted an edit above

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd start with tightening up the alternator belt.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That's what I plan to do as soon as the engine cools. It started squealing at idle, I flipped my lights off and it went quiet immediately. I think that runs the water pump too right? Shop just replaced that which makes me think they maybe didn't readjust the belt properly?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I finally have saved and scraped together enough money to replace the top on my NC with a robbins streamline canvas top. I'm hoping I can enlist my wife to take photos and help as I take apart basically the entire interior from the steering wheel back and replace the top. There are NO guides out there for doing a third gen and I feel like I should help the community out.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I am thinking about buying this, any obvious things I'm missing?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=571787

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Chriskory posted:

I am thinking about buying this, any obvious things I'm missing?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=571787

Ride would be pretty rough but if you're not going to daily it, sounds awesome to me.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sadi posted:

Ride would be pretty rough but if you're not going to daily it, sounds awesome to me.
Shouldn't be that bad with FCMs, you could always sell them to some idiot for way too much money and buy Xidas instead.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Has anyone else found that spiders really, really like their Miata? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Why would it look like my AC compressor is leaking coolant?

Timeline:

Buy my NA last May
Replace AC compressor, dryer, expansion valve etc in August
Overheat and notice coolant leak in September
Replace water pump during timing belt job this winter, hoping that water pump takes care of it
Notice that replacement AC compressor has failed during timing belt job, replace it and affiliated parts again
See coolant on garage floor a couple of weeks ago, look under car tonight and see that coolant still appears on AC compressor