Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I think I've seen those shrimp around, but they're usually frozen. Even the :airquote:fresh:airquote: ones tend to be previously frozen.

This is a little late, but I've seriously heard, no joke, of someone wanting milk instead of cream in their coffee because they're "allergic to cream". I wasn't sure which was better: actually hearing that out loud, or the :psyduck: face the server made, if only briefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I've made the terrible mistake of showing my chef my potential. So now he wants to take me off pastry and move me to garde manger. Then he wants me to learn all the stations. My first shift at GM is tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. I've done pastry my whole life; it's what I went to school for. Plus, the hotel is still at 100% and we're the best restaurant. I'm hosed, I'm totally hosed.

Wish me luck. Any advice?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
It's just rich people food. What is the GM menu? Do you really think it's going to be that much harder to put together if it's 75% salad?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Unless you really have a burning desire to do pastry and only pastry, what is the harm in cross training?

If the former, open a pastry/desert/cupcake whatever shop. If the latter, it only makes you more employable in the long run. Plus, if your chef is even slightly experienced, he'll realize that you're going to be learning a new station and expectations won't be too high.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
There's only 4 salads in the menu, the rest is stuff like tuna tartare, crab cakes, opening oysters, shrimp cocktails, lobster salads, etc. Rich people can actually afford to order appetizers, so it's a very busy station. The reason I'm being moved there is because the pastry station is right next to theirs, and when they're really behind I always jump in and help them. Last Friday I was working both stations at the same time because they were one guy short. So the chef thinks I'm more of an asset in the line. Just fear of the unknown, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited. I know it's a great opportunity for me and all the guys are rooting for me. I'm a fast learner and a fast worker. And I am exited about the possibilities. I mean, I already know pastry, so what else is there to learn? Going culinary is going to open SO many doors for me.

It'll be okay. I'm an idiot. Ugh, I'm sorry.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I typically feel like if I'm never at least occasionally a little scared of something at work it means I'm not really growing much any more. You'll do fine; they already know how you work and decided to put you there because of it. They want you to do well and believe in you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Pooncha posted:

I think I've seen those shrimp around, but they're usually frozen. Even the :airquote:fresh:airquote: ones tend to be previously frozen.

This is a little late, but I've seriously heard, no joke, of someone wanting milk instead of cream in their coffee because they're "allergic to cream". I wasn't sure which was better: actually hearing that out loud, or the :psyduck: face the server made, if only briefly.

Pretty sure all shrimp has to be frozen for food safety reasons, parasites iirc. Good shrimp is usually block frozen. I buy gulf shrimp u10-12 at $16.70/lb.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Wait, really? I've eaten tons of shrimp straight out of the water. Oh dear.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hobo Camp posted:

I've made the terrible mistake of showing my chef my potential. So now he wants to take me off pastry and move me to garde manger. Then he wants me to learn all the stations. My first shift at GM is tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. I've done pastry my whole life; it's what I went to school for. Plus, the hotel is still at 100% and we're the best restaurant. I'm hosed, I'm totally hosed.

Wish me luck. Any advice?

'sup. I've hosed around pantry a ton, and done a few turns in pastry. Pantry is a piece of weak piss compared to a pastry work and detail load. Ask questions, learn the mise as you go, try to make at least medium-term plans until you learn enough to prep ahead and have long-term plans, and don't stop moving, you will be fine. You're being crosstrained means you're on track to be That Indispensable Dude, which is the larval form of the supervisor and manager.

None of which is to say I wasn't a nervous wreck working banquet garde manger, but that was really more a function of the environment than the actual labor. Luckily the resident Pantry Crone didn't realize I thrive on a reputation for necromancy, so her plan to oust me by spreading rumors among housekeeping that I communicate with dead spirits kinda backfired. Actually, now that I think of it it was around then that I really started hitting my stride. Hrmmmm...

Anyway, the point is: You'll be okay. If pantry was murder all kitchens would be staffed by ghosts. And then I would talk to them and make friends.

bunnielab posted:

Hey guys, is there an easy way to peel a ton of raw shrimp?

As the guy who is often the other guy what gotta do the poo poo (i deeply hate all of you who--correctly--posted to get someone else to do it) get a pan or bowl of tepid-at-most water ready, and an empty pan or bowl for the shells. Also some kitchen shears. Heavy shears. No substitutes.

If you are working with whole prawn then grip the heads with the bottle opener part of the shears and pull it off, then snip open the entire back of the shrimp to the very tip of the tail with the scissors. This action's gonna loosen the shell from the flesh, which you rip off at this point and discard if you're dumb or throw in a stock if you're smart. If this takes you longer than five seconds per shrimp you're doing it wrong. Peel until you can peel no more. Then dump the whole pile of shrimp in the water, grab 'em and run your thumb through the crease you made opening the backs. The vein just falls right off, doesn't stick to a thing.

It still stinks to high hell though, so I like to glove up. It... doesn't really help :(

Pile of Kittens posted:

Wait, really? I've eaten tons of shrimp straight out of the water. Oh dear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snEcAdbGXTY

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPQnhhUqtU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pretty sure all shrimp has to be frozen for food safety reasons, parasites iirc. Good shrimp is usually block frozen. I buy gulf shrimp u10-12 at $16.70/lb.
It has more to do with how perishable shrimp is. It goes bad real real fast, like lobster. If you can find live shrimp you can eat it without freezing it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I had a roommate who worked in food service, he once came home ready to collapse and/or commit bloody murder and he said that the only thing he had done all day was peel and devein case after case of semi-frozen shrimp. Did he piss someone off or is that pretty typical?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We get local shrimp shipped in daily from a farm a couple miles away, whole bodied. They taste way better than the frozen stuff. Shelf life is 2-3 days tops.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I had a roommate who worked in food service, he once came home ready to collapse and/or commit bloody murder and he said that the only thing he had done all day was peel and devein case after case of semi-frozen shrimp. Did he piss someone off or is that pretty typical?

I wouldn't make a cook do the same thing all drat day unless they had *really* pissed me off.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe not super typical, but not that rare either. I once spent two days with a partner making 3k shrimp lollipops. You peel several hundred pounds of shrimp, skewer the best looking ones into a round then make a mousse with the remainder. Pipe one side, panko it, pipe the other side, panko it, then chill and deep fry while holding the skewer so it doesn't discolor.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so shell on shrimp dishes only, got you.

Can you make stock out of shrimp peeled after cooking or is that gross?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Ok, so shell on shrimp dishes only, got you.

Can you make stock out of shrimp peeled after cooking or is that gross?

You roast the shells and make stock out of those.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You roast the shells and make stock out of those.

Yeah this is is tasty.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fry the shrimp shells until they're brittle, pulverize in a spice grinder with salt. Congrats, you have roasted shrimp salt.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah this is is tasty.

I feel like I posted my old restaurant's recipe before but yeah this (or lobster shells more or less treated the same way -- roasted beyond pink/red to rust color) is the base of deliciousness.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I thought breading and frying 150 soft boiled eggs would be a great idea. I am a loving idiot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I thought breading and frying 150 soft boiled eggs would be a great idea. I am a loving idiot.

scotch eggs yo

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Pics, because I was pretty happy with it all.

Everything's labeled there, was really happy with my bresaola.

Had to explain that those are mustard seeds, not caviar.

Bourbon pannacotta.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Had to explain that those are mustard seeds, not caviar.

What's all this? I only really recognize the pork belly, tomato and endive (though I would have guessed the mustard seeds).

Also the crispy skin on the pork belly makes it look like the most fatty, delicious piece of a fish too wonderful to exist.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Republicans posted:

What's all this? I only really recognize the pork belly, tomato and endive (though I would have guessed the mustard seeds).

Also the crispy skin on the pork belly makes it look like the most fatty, delicious piece of a fish too wonderful to exist.

It looks like the finest hushpuppy ever

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

That's a 16hr SV pork belly on a peruvian potato latke, 6 minute egg on frisee dressed with sherry and maple, roasted oyster mushrooms(because nobody could get me small 240 bolete), dried pickled tomato, and mustard "caviar".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phanatic posted:

Okay, at a goon's suggestion, I'm going to repost this here. All of this is well-known and discussed in the beer thread, but for people not in Philly, you might not be aware of this and will probably find the trainwreck entertaining.

There's this guy named Matt Swartz.

Update in the continuing saga of this immense douchebag. He pled out for the liquor license forgery, copping to a misdemeanor. He hadn't been paying rent, either, so the landlord put padlocks on his restaurant doors and that place closed down, and now the landlord's suing him for over a million dollars in back rent. He opened two other bars in Philly and those have also closed down for unknown reasons that are probably related to him never actually paying anyone.

Recentest development: one of the managers at Farmer's Cabinet sued him for about $3500 in unpaid wages. One curious fact about the place is that the liquor license for the bar wasn't in Matt's name, it was in his wife's name. Matt managed to avoid getting served in the lawsuit, but his wife wasn't so lucky. I guess she didn't bother showing up to court because a default judgement was entered against her, and now the Sheriff has been ordered to seize the license and sell it at auction, with the manager and the court costs getting paid out of the proceeds.

So if anyone's in Philly and wants a liquor license, be at the FC location on March 31st at noon and you'll get to bid on it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
...what is the opening bid?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Unrelated: heading to Philly in May to see my sister/her bf is graduating, what bars/restaurants are must-sees?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Opens at $45k apparently but it's sure to sell for way more than that. Liquor licenses in PA are capped based on county population, so the only way you can open a bar in Philadelphia is to buy someone else's from them. I'd be surprised if it hits $100k but it's possible.

The Maestro posted:

Unrelated: heading to Philly in May to see my sister/her bf is graduating, what bars/restaurants are must-sees?

Not Alma de Cuba, I'll guess:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/Chef-dies-during-dinner.html#GA6pddsaZ1ggxL0c.01

What do you like? I'd say must-sees are Serpico, Sbraga, Laurel (but no way you'll get a reservation), Vedge, Zahav, Marigold, Bibou, and Osteria for "fine dining," but that's just me. This might help:

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/50-best-restaurants/
http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/foobooz-50-best-bars-philadelphia/

The beer thread put together a summary of Philly beer joints as well. If you're a beer drinker, Monk's is a requirement, and Tired Hands out in Ardmore is too. I'd also say Forest & Main but that's out in Ambler and is an even further hike:

http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Philadelphia,_PA_%28and_surrounding_areas%29

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 23, 2015

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi goons, need a little help. Updating my resume so I can find another chef job. Here is the latest job, but I feel it's lacking. What else should I put in here? I'm the chef of a restaurant, a bar, a catering company, and a private event space and all that's included in that. I didn't want to spell out everything I do because that would be too much poo poo on a resume so I tried to keep it short.

EXPERIENCE:
New York, NY
Executive Chef
*the thing I'm the chef of*.

Responsible for daily oversight and management of the culinary teams at:
The thing I'm the chef of - Restaurant
The bar I'm the chef of- Bar
Catering company I'm the chef of- Catering Company
Private space I'm the chef of – Private event space

Responsible for maintaining and exceeding food cost, labor cost, and inventory goals within company guidelines.

In charge of the creation, planning, costing and execution of all menus throughout all outlets.

Responsible for maintaining our companies standards as far as being farm to table restaurant by maintaining great relationships with farmers from the Union Square Greenmarket market, as well as our vendors sourcing local ingredients whenever and wherever possible.

In constant communication with Front of house management, upper management, party planners, etc. to ensure the highest quality and execution of all foodservice throughout all of our outlets.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cods posted:

Hi goons, need a little help. Updating my resume so I can find another chef job. Here is the latest job, but I feel it's lacking. What else should I put in here? I'm the chef of a restaurant, a bar, a catering company, and a private event space and all that's included in that. I didn't want to spell out everything I do because that would be too much poo poo on a resume so I tried to keep it short.

EXPERIENCE:
New York, NY
Executive Chef
*the thing I'm the chef of*.

Responsible for daily oversight and management of the culinary teams at:
The thing I'm the chef of - Restaurant
The bar I'm the chef of- Bar
Catering company I'm the chef of- Catering Company
Private space I'm the chef of – Private event space

Responsible for maintaining and exceeding food cost, labor cost, and inventory goals within company guidelines.

In charge of the creation, planning, costing and execution of all menus throughout all outlets.

Responsible for maintaining our companies standards as far as being farm to table restaurant by maintaining great relationships with farmers from the Union Square Greenmarket market, as well as our vendors sourcing local ingredients whenever and wherever possible.

In constant communication with Front of house management, upper management, party planners, etc. to ensure the highest quality and execution of all foodservice throughout all of our outlets.

I'd throw some numbers in there if you have them. always good to toot your horn. like take your best month and round down "in charge of monthly revenues in excess of $200k/mo" or "responsible for cutting food costs by 17% company wide" or "managed 9 staff members" or whatever. exaggerate wherever reasonable.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
what the hell do you do when you are very blatantly being groomed to be The Guy? roll with it or get the gently caress out? The sous came back to work a week or two while we find a replacement, but within a half hour she asked if I noticed what was going on, and that I was obviously being treated as the next Guy,

gently caress.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Simoom posted:

what the hell do you do when you are very blatantly being groomed to be The Guy? roll with it or get the gently caress out? The sous came back to work a week or two while we find a replacement, but within a half hour she asked if I noticed what was going on, and that I was obviously being treated as the next Guy,

gently caress.

begin expecting 2x your current hourly pay rate?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My bf just got hired as a cook for a food service place on a military base. He needs to buy chef whites (including the hat, which I intend to tease him about). Any recommendations on brands? He's done BOH for the industry before but never needed whites. He's already got the Shoes for Crews, so he's good there.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My bf just got hired as a cook for a food service place on a military base. He needs to buy chef whites (including the hat, which I intend to tease him about). Any recommendations on brands? He's done BOH for the industry before but never needed whites. He's already got the Shoes for Crews, so he's good there.

Go to a thrift store, there will be shitloads of whites there for a couple bucks a set.

Also, lol: http://munchies.vice.com/articles/its-impossible-to-find-good-cooks-nowadays

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

quote:

It’s a place that nobody has heard of. I worked there for a year, and then I left to follow the chef who I consider to be my first mentor and who had just moved to work at a fine dining restaurant down the street. At the time, it was considered one of the best restaurants in Savannah—which doesn’t mean much—but it was still a great introduction to that world. At that restaurant, I got beat up a lot in the kitchen sense. They picked on me and whipped me with towels that they first dipped in the deep fryer so it would burn me, as well as leave a welt. Even though I don’t agree with that type of training—I certainly don’t employ it at my restaurant with any of my cooks—there is a purpose there. Call it militaristic, but it is the exercise of building a thick skin. It’s important to put yourself through these really physical and emotional ordeals and traumas so that later in your life as a chef, you are prepared for anything.

hey. hey.

gently caress you

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

To be fair, I do think there are a lot of younger cooks who don't really fully get the value of repetition and the difference between basic competence at a task/recipe and total mastery of it. There's a difference though between eustress and trauma/working people 'til they're zombies.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Thoht posted:

To be fair, I do think there are a lot of younger cooks who don't really fully get the value of repetition and the difference between basic competence at a task/recipe and total mastery of it. There's a difference though between eustress and trauma/working people 'til they're zombies.

Big difference between that and the bullshit warrior/monk vibe that guy just rocked.

Moral? Don't talk to media unless you're controlling the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

quote:

It’s important to put yourself through these really physical and emotional ordeals and traumas so that later in your life as a chef, you are prepared for anything [to appear on your therapist's bill].

• Locked thread