Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Doesn't everybody in communication job hop at an astonishing rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.
I've been having horrible luck applying to jobs. Been doing so over a month now pretty consistently and I haven't had so much as a phone call. My resume seems to be at least OK (I do need to apply some of the revisions suggested in the OP here), and I think I'm very qualified for the jobs I'm applying to. I have 3 years experience in the IT industry, Microsoft certifications (MCSA), a B.A. (unrelated to IT) from a respected university, and am applying to jobs similar to my current position of almost a year, but it's just radio silence out there. One possible factor is that I live in South America and am applying to jobs in the US, but I make it clear that I don't need any relocation assistance. Is living outside of the area really that big of a problem? I'm a US citizen so no issue with the legality aspect.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Marmalade Marinade posted:

One possible factor is that I live in South America and am applying to jobs in the US, but I make it clear that I don't need any relocation assistance. Is living outside of the area really that big of a problem? I'm a US citizen so no issue with the legality aspect.

Yes. Trying to get a job in City A when you live in City B is very difficult. Job hunting is hard enough; adding in Skype/Hangout interviews, flying to visit the office and a delayed start date, it becomes even harder. I've known people who have gone as far as to use a cousin's address or a PO Box on their resume to show they live in their future city, and then either drive all night/purchase a same-day flight to make the interview. I've been searching for over a year in two cities I want to move to, and I'm still in my original city.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

On 3/6 I had a phone interview for an internal position at my current company. I'll be honest, it wasn't my best. It was honestly my first phone interview and it was sort of a weird experience for me. My boss (the person doing the hiring for the open position, as it is the same team) said they would let me know the following week, and conduct in-person interviews the week after that. I know that they did interview 2 people last Thursday and Friday in-person. At this point I know I am not going to get the job, which I am pretty okay with as I am quite happy with my current position even though I was interested in the expanded responsibilities of the new one.

Anyway, my real issue is that my boss has not followed up with me. I only work 3 days a week, and she was out sick 2 of the days I worked so I figured she would talk to me when she got back. Nope. She is just sort of acting like the interview didn't happen? I thought my interview was mediocre, not terrible and not great. Nothing so bad that she would just try and forget it happened so I am confused as to what to do. It's making me feel sort of awkward and I feel a bit disrespected that she hasn't just told me they will be hiring somebody else. I was going to give her until Thursday and then approach her, but I don't know what to say or how to talk to her about this without showing my irritation at the lack of communication. Thoughts?

edit: Nevermind, she contacted me right after I posted this. They decided not to go forward with me for this position because they weren't sure it aligned 100% with my career goals, but there may be another opportunity coming open that she thought would be a perfect fit for me (also on the same team), so now I feel kinda dumb for feeling like I was being disrespected. She looked like she felt really bad about telling me this, but I understand their reasoning and feel better moving forward.

Scenty fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 23, 2015

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.

Omne posted:

Yes. Trying to get a job in City A when you live in City B is very difficult. Job hunting is hard enough; adding in Skype/Hangout interviews, flying to visit the office and a delayed start date, it becomes even harder. I've known people who have gone as far as to use a cousin's address or a PO Box on their resume to show they live in their future city, and then either drive all night/purchase a same-day flight to make the interview. I've been searching for over a year in two cities I want to move to, and I'm still in my original city.

That's incredibly discouraging to hear. With what frequency would you say you've been applying to jobs? I'm considering the idea of just going ahead and moving to where I want to be before securing employment there, although I know how poorly advised that idea is.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Marmalade Marinade posted:

That's incredibly discouraging to hear. With what frequency would you say you've been applying to jobs? I'm considering the idea of just going ahead and moving to where I want to be before securing employment there, although I know how poorly advised that idea is.

It ebbs and flows. I have a solid position in my current city, I just want to move to a larger city closer to my family (not not too close...) Normally I would try to apply for five jobs every Sunday, though some weeks I wouldn't apply for any. I would get some phone screens every now and then, but if you're going up against local candidates, you're going to be at a disadvantage even with a disclaimer about not needing relocation assistance. I'm pretty far into the process with a potential employer in my sort of dream city, but it's taken awhile to get here.

If you can swing it (i.e. no student loans/car payments/CC debt, or enough in savings to cover this) you could potentially make it work by moving first, getting a job second. I am not in that position, so I can't quit until I have my next job.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm hoping this question will no longer apply to me, as I have two interviews this week that both sound very promising, but I still think it's a good question that deserves to be asked in this thread.

I'm currently in a very salesy Outside Sales job, but I recently had my resume professionally redone in order to try to market my account management/client services/customer retention skills, as I'm hoping to land a job that utilizes these skills while cutting out any cold calling or prospecting. For about 2-3 weeks I've been getting calls from recruiters at LEAST once per day trying to scout me for various sales jobs. Today I got 4 in 4 hours. Most would think getting called by a recruiter would be a good thing, but the whole reason I've had my resume redone and plastered up on every job site was to get out of sales, and 9 times out of 10 the recruiter is calling for a prospecting-heavy sales job. Considering the fact that I do have an 8:00-6:00 full time 40 hour per week job, fielding these calls (or interviews, in the cases where I get tricked by the posting and/or recruiter and waste my time interviewing for them) is not only inconvenient, but dangerous. I hate sneaking around for these interviews while holding a full time job, and if I somehow got caught by my current boss fielding these calls I'm sure I'd be in deep poo poo, and I know it's much harder to get a job when you don't have a job.

So I guess my question would be: Is it ever acceptable on a resume to include a statement asking certain people not to contact you? Something like "Please do not contact me for sales positions"? My gut says no, since I never want to exclude myself from what could potentially be a great opportunity, but on the other hand it got kind of ridiculous having to excuse myself from the building to take calls from unknown phone numbers everyday.

Like I said, today was a really great day and I set up two interviews for Account Management positions later this week (I've gotten really good at interviewing the interviewers to make sure the opportunity is worth my time) so hopefully this won't be an issue for much longer, but I'm still curious what could be done, if anything, to help cut down on being solicited by recruiters for positions that I can guarantee would not be a good fit for me.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Anyone got some good examples of a good sales resume? Especially if it's for ad sales for a publication. My previous jobs were all on the other side of the wall at media companies. That part of my resume is fine. But I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how to quickly show my highlights for sales while using minimal context. Like I've had a lot of success w account retention getting clients to spend more when my territory had been seeing losses for years. In the six months I've been there I locked up a weekly account that's now my biggest account by far and some other stuff. I ask bc I know that the figure for those gains might not seem big to some places (it really isn't at all at a place I just interviewed for) but for my company and my territory it is very big

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I just got a very polite rejection email from the application I put in to a new grad residency position.

Kind of irritating, as I had my phone interview over 3 weeks ago, and was told that they would decide on which applications to pass on to the hiring managers and which would be rejected. I was told that those rejected would be informed by email the following week.

So, since it was 2 weeks past the timeframe they gave me, I assumed I'd made it to the next round, especially since the interviewer literally said I was essentially the ideal new grad candidate, and that it could take some time for hiring managers to begin calling people in for face to face interviews.

Super irritated...

Is it appropriate to inquire about things to improve on? During the interview the woman mentioned that they post this new grad job several times per year, and candidates who are declined are welcome to reapply as new openings come and go often. I'm curious as to how I could improve...

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Annath posted:

So I just got a very polite rejection email from the application I put in to a new grad residency position.

Kind of irritating, as I had my phone interview over 3 weeks ago, and was told that they would decide on which applications to pass on to the hiring managers and which would be rejected. I was told that those rejected would be informed by email the following week.

So, since it was 2 weeks past the timeframe they gave me, I assumed I'd made it to the next round, especially since the interviewer literally said I was essentially the ideal new grad candidate, and that it could take some time for hiring managers to begin calling people in for face to face interviews.

Super irritated...

Is it appropriate to inquire about things to improve on? During the interview the woman mentioned that they post this new grad job several times per year, and candidates who are declined are welcome to reapply as new openings come and go often. I'm curious as to how I could improve...

First, whatever "timeline" they give you, triple it. That's what is considered acceptable by HR standards. They say they'll call you tomorrow? Expect a call sometime towards the end of the following week. Call in a week? How about three weeks. It's best not to try and hold them to that timeline, as you never know what they're dealing with on their end.

Second, I have never, ever had an interviewer give me feedback after a rejection. They will tell you at most that the other candidate had more applicable experience or they don't think you're a good fit. The only cases I've ever heard of people getting feedback was internal applications at my current company.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I need to get started at punching up a friend's resume. I haven't done it in a while, but it's fairly blah right now. I want to make it more visually interesting, and readable.

Medical clinician, if that matters. Are there any decent templates or examples?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

timp posted:

So I guess my question would be: Is it ever acceptable on a resume to include a statement asking certain people not to contact you? Something like "Please do not contact me for sales positions"? My gut says no, since I never want to exclude myself from what could potentially be a great opportunity, but on the other hand it got kind of ridiculous having to excuse myself from the building to take calls from unknown phone numbers everyday.
Sales people won't not call you because of a statement on your resume. And a negative statement about 'please don't call me if...' might make you look bad to some folk. So there's no point in putting it there. Just let everything go to voicemail. I know voicemail is dead, except for people trying to hire you. If you let your calls go to voicemail and return them at the end of business, it'll make you look busy and professional. And, looking busy and professional to someone trying to hire you is a good thing. Honestly, only millennials expect you to be connected 24/7, and it's most likely not a millennial trying to hire you. If it is, disregard my advice, because idk

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So after being told I'm now a candidate for two separate positions, the company has gone fairly silent. They weren't responding to my emails about scheduling my trip to see the HQ (which was originally scheduled for next week), so I figured either something else changed or I was no longer a candidate. I had decided to forget it and move on. And then bam, an email saying due to scheduling issues they want me to come in the following week because some key people are out on vacation next week. Back in the game. This will make nearly a month between interviews!

But it's actually a good thing. Your annual bonus at my current company is only paid out if you are an employee on May 31st. If you work the full year but leave on May 30th? No bonus for you. The longer this new company takes, the more likely it is I can push my start date close enough to either start after May 31st, or burn some vacation time and sort of work for two companies at the same time in different cities (i.e. start my new job, say May 26th, while putting in my two weeks notice and having my last day at my old company be May 31st but using vacation days to be out the week of May 26th).

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You may not be able to extend your last day at work using vacation. I know that my company pays out vacation, but you cannot extend the date you leave using it as you have to work your last day. I'd also be skeptical that you would get it if the 31st is in your two week notice period though that is management dependent.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

asur posted:

You may not be able to extend your last day at work using vacation. I know that my company pays out vacation, but you cannot extend the date you leave using it as you have to work your last day. I'd also be skeptical that you would get it if the 31st is in your two week notice period though that is management dependent.

Don't you go and pop my bubble!

A former coworker put in her two weeks notice and used a week of vacation to cover the final week, and that was fine. I'm interviewing with a sort-of competitor, so there's a chance they tell me to fulfill my two weeks sitting on my couch. That would be perfect, but the timing there won't work out. Again, I don't even have an offer, so this is all theoretical at this point. I would just love to make it to June 1st so I can collect my bonus (a minimum of 4.5% of my total salary) and not mess up some trips I had planned for May.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
So I met with the manager of a chain store for a receptionist position yesterday. Interview went very well. She liked my good energy and experience, said I'd be a good fit for the job. She said she wanted me to head over to the store I applied to work at (the interview was at a different store) to meet the team over there. She tried to get me in for later on that day, but both managers for that store were out of town. She told me that they'd try to figure something out for the next day, or later on in the week.

Is calling the manager up and saying "hi there! I know we talked about me going to the store on Spring Street, I just wanted to let you know I'd be free to drop by Monday or Tuesday at anytime!" being WAY too pushy?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I applied for 2 different positions at the same hospital, and I have run into a bit of a snag.

The job/application management software on their website has you construct a "profile" that is used on all job applications, so you don't have to fill out the same 30 items over and over again. However, it also saves your resume and cover letter. I applied to 2 different departments, and when filling out the first application, I uploaded my resume and letter, which reflected the posiiton I was applying for. The website did not say that the resume and cover letter would be a part of the "profile".

So, when I went to fill out the 2nd application, it was already 90% completed and it automatically attached my resume and cover letter, which were written referencing the first job. For the resume, this isn't a huge deal, the only part of the resume that mentions a position is the "goal" at the top saying I am seeking a job in the IMCU. The cover letter however has several references to that specific department. Now, you could easily swap IMCU for Cardiac Mixed Unit (the other position I applied for) and all the statements would be equally true, but it is a blunder to have the wrong doc attached.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to change what files are attached to a specific application. I can upload a new resume and cover letter to the job portal, but I can't seem to edit the specific applications I already submitted.

For the IMCU job this is not a problem because the docs are all correct, but what are the chances they will just toss my application to the Cardiac unit because of this?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Annath posted:

So I applied for 2 different positions at the same hospital, and I have run into a bit of a snag.

The job/application management software on their website has you construct a "profile" that is used on all job applications, so you don't have to fill out the same 30 items over and over again. However, it also saves your resume and cover letter. I applied to 2 different departments, and when filling out the first application, I uploaded my resume and letter, which reflected the posiiton I was applying for. The website did not say that the resume and cover letter would be a part of the "profile".

So, when I went to fill out the 2nd application, it was already 90% completed and it automatically attached my resume and cover letter, which were written referencing the first job. For the resume, this isn't a huge deal, the only part of the resume that mentions a position is the "goal" at the top saying I am seeking a job in the IMCU. The cover letter however has several references to that specific department. Now, you could easily swap IMCU for Cardiac Mixed Unit (the other position I applied for) and all the statements would be equally true, but it is a blunder to have the wrong doc attached.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to change what files are attached to a specific application. I can upload a new resume and cover letter to the job portal, but I can't seem to edit the specific applications I already submitted.

For the IMCU job this is not a problem because the docs are all correct, but what are the chances they will just toss my application to the Cardiac unit because of this?
It depends. Are you blindly firing off resumes, or were you invited to apply? If you're blindly firing off resumes, make a generic cover letter that could apply to either job. In all likelihood, nobody's going to read it. If you were invited to apply, go ahead and call their HR and ask to send your specific cover letter/resume directly to the hiring managers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dik Hz posted:

It depends. Are you blindly firing off resumes, or were you invited to apply? If you're blindly firing off resumes, make a generic cover letter that could apply to either job. In all likelihood, nobody's going to read it. If you were invited to apply, go ahead and call their HR and ask to send your specific cover letter/resume directly to the hiring managers.

I'm firing off resumes. As a new grad nurse, I doubt anyone is going to invite me anywhere :v:

However, reading the cover letter again, it actually only uses the word IMCU twice, so its less of an issue than I thought.

In the end, they're going to be more concerned with how long til graduation (may) and are you working on your BSN (start in the fall).

Hopefully I get my foot in the door.

I was referred to their hiring site by a classmate who works in the ER, and said so in the applications, so maybe that will help.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A friend of my fiancee's is graduating later this year and is starting to look for jobs. A while ago I was talking to him about my job, and he somehow remembers enough about that conversation that he's interested in working for my company, and particularly my department. There's just one problem though- I couldn't recommend working at my company right now to anyone. The departments that do cool stuff are all over-budget and not hiring, and my department is a mess in general and just dull, un-inspiring work for which I'm sure he's over-qualified (but we're under-staffed and probably hiring). At the same time I still remember how hard it was for me to find my first job out of school and wouldn't want to put anyone else through that. If you were asking a friend to put your name in with their company, would you want them to be honest if it was a lovely job?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

C-Euro posted:

A friend of my fiancee's is graduating later this year and is starting to look for jobs. A while ago I was talking to him about my job, and he somehow remembers enough about that conversation that he's interested in working for my company, and particularly my department. There's just one problem though- I couldn't recommend working at my company right now to anyone. The departments that do cool stuff are all over-budget and not hiring, and my department is a mess in general and just dull, un-inspiring work for which I'm sure he's over-qualified (but we're under-staffed and probably hiring). At the same time I still remember how hard it was for me to find my first job out of school and wouldn't want to put anyone else through that. If you were asking a friend to put your name in with their company, would you want them to be honest if it was a lovely job?
Isn't basically every entry-level job lovely?

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
How about you lay out all that information you gave us to them and ask them what they want?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
When giving interviews I seem to have been flummoxing people with what I thought were fairly soft-ball but open-ended questions. At first I though it may have been a few not-so-strong candidates, but even the good ones seem to be taken aback by it, although they do go on to give good answers. Usually, we'll be talking about the business and I'll ask the person what types of projects he or she might want to work on, what they think might be big issues for us (obviously I don't expect them to know but some indication that you googled the company and can think critically about), etc. Then they'll offer something specific like, "We could investigate what types of chocolates make the best chocolate teapots." At which point I'll ask, "Great, how would you do that?" "How would you find out the best chocolate to make teapots with?"

Does this seem like a trick question?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Misogynist posted:

Isn't basically every entry-level job lovely?

This is my first one so I don't know. But the pay is poo poo, the work is super-boring and I'm slowly losing confidence in our management & leadership. Admittedly I'd be down working in a different department at our company, but I've asked around and none of them are hiring despite losing staff in the past few months, which doesn't seem like a good sign. If this wasn't one of two jobs in my field within an hour's drive of where I live, I would look for something else (and we're moving at the end of this month so I will be able to start looking then)

N.N. Ashe posted:

How about you lay out all that information you gave us to them and ask them what they want?

I asked him if he wanted to work in a certain department, and he named mine.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Does anyone have any advice for working with Taleo or Silkroad hiring systems? Or have insight on how their filtering works?

I'm applying to jobs where I know (feel like?) I have the correct qualifications but I'm worried that I'm getting filtered out. Should I even be concerned about this? Are there ways to tailor my resume for applying through these systems?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mr Newsman posted:

Does anyone have any advice for working with Taleo or Silkroad hiring systems? Or have insight on how their filtering works?

I'm applying to jobs where I know (feel like?) I have the correct qualifications but I'm worried that I'm getting filtered out. Should I even be concerned about this? Are there ways to tailor my resume for applying through these systems?

Every buzzword possible.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Silkroad hiring

I hear the FBI is taking applications directly right now. Strike while the iron's hot.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

HiroProtagonist posted:

I hear the FBI is taking applications directly right now. Strike while the iron's hot.

If only the FBI obliterated Silkroad.com while they were at it.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Since I can't find any information on aptitude testing in the OP.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or places to go practice aptitude testing.

I'm currently applying for entry level work and I am finding it difficult to stand out when I take these kinds of tests, so any help or suggestions would be appreciative.

Thanks!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Well, after lots of waiting, the company has FINALLY decided on a date for my visit and in-person interview. Looks like it'll be next Friday, and they say in addition to meeting with different people, I'll be asked to create a presentation and present it to the group. I've had to do that before (among other "assessments") so I think I can handle it.

Now the real question is, do I make a long weekend out of it? Have my GF grab a flight and us get a hotel for the weekend, explore the city some more...hrm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Omne posted:

Well, after lots of waiting, the company has FINALLY decided on a date for my visit and in-person interview. Looks like it'll be next Friday, and they say in addition to meeting with different people, I'll be asked to create a presentation and present it to the group. I've had to do that before (among other "assessments") so I think I can handle it.

Now the real question is, do I make a long weekend out of it? Have my GF grab a flight and us get a hotel for the weekend, explore the city some more...hrm

If you would definitely take the job if it gets offered to you, then there's no harm in doing some early scouting of the local scene and some potential places to live. Plus it's not like you're going to get those vacation days back from your current job if you leave them for another one, right?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

C-Euro posted:

If you would definitely take the job if it gets offered to you, then there's no harm in doing some early scouting of the local scene and some potential places to live. Plus it's not like you're going to get those vacation days back from your current job if you leave them for another one, right?

Pretty much. I've been there a few times before, but it just makes sense to do a long weekend. I asked the lady if they could see about flying back on Sunday instead of Friday and I would cover my own hotels for that weekend, just in case it's an option.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I am interviewing for a job at a university and the people interviewing me and corresponding with me are all professors. They sign their emails with their first names, but I'm curious if it's better to err on the side of formality and refer to them as "Dr. Lastname" or "Prof. Lastname", or if that will come across as juvenile when I'm interviewing for a full-time position within the department.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Twitter Warpath posted:

I am interviewing for a job at a university and the people interviewing me and corresponding with me are all professors. They sign their emails with their first names, but I'm curious if it's better to err on the side of formality and refer to them as "Dr. Lastname" or "Prof. Lastname", or if that will come across as juvenile when I'm interviewing for a full-time position within the department.

My rule is: Until told otherwise, be formal. That goes for names as well as dress.

EDIT: Just got the particulars of my "visit" for the final round (keep in mind I've already interviewed with HR, the VP and the founder/CEO). It's a doozy...

- Three 45 minute interviews with different team members
- A lunch with two other team members
- A 15 minute presentation that I have to create, followed by Q&A
- Two more 30 minute interviews

drat.

Omne fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 2, 2015

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there an approximate number of references for applying for jobs? I recently compiled all the people who I'd be willing to use as references and I have 12 at the moment. Putting every single one of them seems a bit excessive..

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there an approximate number of references for applying for jobs? I recently compiled all the people who I'd be willing to use as references and I have 12 at the moment. Putting every single one of them seems a bit excessive..

Twelve is excessive, also where are you putting them?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

jkyuusai posted:

Twelve is excessive, also where are you putting them?

On a separate references page, unless there isn't a separate option for that, in which case they go as a last page on my resume. I feel like 5 is probably the limit, or is that still a few too many?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Omne posted:

My rule is: Until told otherwise, be formal. That goes for names as well as dress.

I work at a university and this is absolutely the case. Faculty members will probably sign their emails as "Firstname Lastname" or "Firstname", but I'd really recommend erring on the side of "Dr. X" or "Professor X" until you've had a couple of face-to-face conversations with them or until you've been in the department long enough that you're 100% certain that the environment is that everyone calls everyone by their first name (minus a few older faculty members, it probably will be).

It also makes mail merges a lot easier when you're mass-emailing everybody because you need literally the entire department to turn in a form in the next two days because they haven't done so in two months :argh:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

On a separate references page, unless there isn't a separate option for that, in which case they go as a last page on my resume. I feel like 5 is probably the limit, or is that still a few too many?

Do not include references with your resume or write them on applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Johnny Truant posted:

To expand on what Bisty Q. said -

Your references' time is really valuable and you want to do what you can to ensure it's not wasted. Putting a reference's contact info on your resume or a job application allows any company who gets that information to call the reference and pester them, ostensibly on your behalf. Protect your references' time by only giving out their info when it's absolutely necessary for people to talk to them. In most situations, this is close to the end of the interview process. There are exceptions in some areas, mostly in academia, but that's a whole other ball of wax anyway.

By controlling access to them, it also allows you the chance to give your references' a heads up before they are contacted, which is considered a polite thing to do. (You don't have to necessarily do it before every single time, but if it's been a few months since you used them or something, a refresher is a nice gesture.)

For applications that ask for them, just don't fill it out or put some filler in about them being available on request. If a place pesters you for them before you've really had a chance to talk about the position, the company is dumb and you should remember that.

edit: And to answer the number question, totally pulling this out of my rear end, but 5 feels like the absolute max I would list.