Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xibanya posted:

What I've always wondered about DBZ is "why now"? Why in all the earth's history is it only in "the present" that you suddenly have all these insanely strong humans (Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, et al). Their strength appears to be unprecedented in human history and all of them live in the same age.

Eh.

Krillen would have been the champion of the turtle school and Tien of the Crane school. Other than those two, there wasn't really anyone hugely special (better than Roshi) out there at all. The next tier is Yamcha and Chauzu, and, well.

The only thing that screwed it up was the Monkey King/alien showing up that could use his natural genes to jump ahead of everyone.

The devil was always around, and that accounts for the other person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

Did the person who made Dragonball Who Wants To Be A Superhero? ever finish it? Just read it today and it was pretty fun.

It's mentioned a few times in Battle of the Gods that mortal ki cannot hurt someone with God ki.

I remember it being said that you can't sense God ki...not that you can't touch them at all. Vegeta, with no god ki in him whatsoever landed a few solid hits on Beerus.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jivjov posted:

I remember it being said that you can't sense God ki...not that you can't touch them at all. Vegeta, with no god ki in him whatsoever landed a few solid hits on Beerus.

Yeah he could punch Beerus and stuff but any Ki blasts he fired did squat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They use ki for punches, though. That's their whole power.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't help but wonder how they increase their power levels by doing body training.

For that matter, how have their muscles not ruptured yet?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

They're cartoons.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is Cell ever referred to as #21 in series or is Dragon Ball Wiki talking out of its rear end? (I mean it's logical, but I just want to be pedantic.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

mycot posted:

Is Cell ever referred to as #21 in series or is Dragon Ball Wiki talking out of its rear end? (I mean it's logical, but I just want to be pedantic.)

No.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

They're cartoons.

Oh yeah. :v:

mycot posted:

I've only seen him called that on fan websites.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I don't really know where the whole idea of Beerus being magically immune to normal ki came from. It seemed like he was saying that no one with normal ki would ever be strong enough to hurt him. The same way Superman could say no human could hurt him. Doesn't mean that Superman is immune to people; just that no person has hit Superman hard enough to prove him wrong yet.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Besides, Vegetto could pound Beerus into the ground with his bare hands anyway.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

jivjov posted:

Blasting someone with ki and punching them in the face with your ki-enhanced muscles are not the same thing. Just because you use it to make your physical attacks stronger doesn't mean they're like, bathed in it or something. That's more of a Hunter x Hunter thing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

mycot posted:

Obviously he'd be Number 12 or 11, because the lesser numbered Androids are all stronger than 19 and 20, except for 8. The Android naming scheme is hosed.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I thought it was specifically the entire line peaked at 16, who was a full Android, then went down in power after him until you got to Cell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

To be fair to Gohan, I seem to remember him wanting to jump in to save Videl in the manga nearly immediately, but he was stopped by the Supreme Kai.

Or am I remembering wrong?

Yeah he wanted to jump in immediately but Piccolo and Supreme Kai are like NO! YOU GOTTA LET HER GET BEAT UP! I'M TOO INCOMPETENT TO FIND OUT WHERE BABIDI IS!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

I thought it was specifically the entire line peaked at 16, who was a full Android, then went down in power after him until you got to Cell

Not if you count Android 13, where 13, 14, and 15 are all around or above 17 and 18, and 13 can absorb the other two ala Cell.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

Yeah he wanted to jump in immediately but Piccolo and Supreme Kai are like NO! YOU GOTTA LET HER GET BEAT UP! I'M TOO INCOMPETENT TO FIND OUT WHERE BABIDI IS!

The fact gohan didn't immediately punch the supreme kai's clocks out proves him to be a weaker human being than Yamcha.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

The fact gohan didn't immediately punch the supreme kai's clocks out proves him to be a weaker human being than Yamcha.

Self control is a strength.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Not if you count Android 13, where 13, 14, and 15 are all around or above 17 and 18, and 13 can absorb the other two ala Cell.

You shouldn't count them though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Stairmaster posted:

The fact that Kibito and Supreme Kai made him get his energy drained (and brought Majin Buu halfway to revival all by his lonesome) is also never brought up again.

Supreme Kai sucks at everything.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If the Grand Kai were in charge, But would have been turned good and hanging out in otherworld as a DJ ages ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how Dr. Gero doesn't even recognize Androids 13 - 15 in Raging Blast 2. Does he just tell his computer to make Androids and not even look into what they look like or can do? :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Self control is a strength.

There are so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Supreme Kai was such a fuckup, he ended up downplaying the threat of Buu because pffft how bad could something a wimp is afraid of be?

And thus Vegeta decided to go Majin.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The Supreme Kai was such a fuckup, he ended up downplaying the threat of Buu because pffft how bad could something a wimp is afraid of be?

And thus Vegeta decided to go Majin.

The Kai who cried Buu. Pui pui so strong. Yakon so strong. Dabra so strong. Buu so strong.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

There are so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.

You disagree? That's neat.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Supreme Kai, like all mohawk infestees, is incompetent and untrustworthy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Peak Dragonball to me is everyone gearing together to help Goku with the Red Ribbon/Piccolo and they finally arrive after he's finished up... actually that's how Raditz goes too.

Goku's friends are the WORST.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Peak Dragonball to me is everyone gearing together to help Goku with the Red Ribbon/Piccolo and they finally arrive after he's finished up... actually that's how Raditz goes too.

Goku's friends are the WORST.

What I'm getting out of this is Piccolo is Goku's truest friend.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's also the only person not a Saiyan allowed to do anything of note in the movies.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Food for thought, Goku in the battle against Raditz is asked by Piccolo if he's developed any new techniques, and winds up admitting he's been slacking off and not been bothered.

For the rest of the series, Goku is seen as a training maniac. Food for thought.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From then on until his death during the Cell Games there was constantly a reason to be training and fighting, and without a family in the afterlife he had nothing to bring him out of that behavior. After Dragon Ball, the four years of living a peaceful life out in the country with his wife and son just cooled him down. Raditz and the events that followed shocked him back into being a fighter.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What you're saying is that Goku's enemies become his friends later on.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

Food for thought, Goku in the battle against Raditz is asked by Piccolo if he's developed any new techniques, and winds up admitting he's been slacking off and not been bothered.

For the rest of the series, Goku is seen as a training maniac. Food for thought.
Even Goku is worn out by the arrival of his first child like a normal parent

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

bowmore posted:

Even Goku is worn out by the arrival of his first child like a normal parent

I sort of saw it as complacency by being the strongest being on the planet.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Bushmaori posted:

I sort of saw it as complacency by being the strongest being on the planet.

Roshi made sure he knew there was always someone stronger by electrocuting the hell out of him. I figure he just meant he didn't have any new tricks but he could kamehameharder.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

In It For The Tank posted:

Besides, Vegetto could pound Beerus into the ground with his bare hands anyway.

Everyone knows this is not true. Goku even said in the extended edition that it would do squat against Beerus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Everyone knows this is not true. Goku even said in the extended edition that it would do squat against Beerus.

And then gohan managed to get him in a full nelson which is more than he could pull off against Buu with Gotenks absorbed. So I really doubt Beerus could do that well against Vegito.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Earth must be viewed has a near desert shithole if sending a baby with a powerlevel of like 6 is viewed as enough. Freeza was probably going to barely make a space-profit off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't comment having not seen the extended edition but if an enraged Vegeta managed to draw blood from Beerus then a serious punch from Vegetto would reduce Beerus to ashes (and probably tear a hole in the fabric of reality).

An obvious disclaimer is that this assumes Vegetto's power is consistent with how it portrayed in the Buu Saga where he was on a whole other cosmic level to any other fighter. I acknowledge that, because BoG had things like SSJ2 Vegeta being stronger than SSJ3 Goku, any logical power comparison is impossible anymore because AT does what he wants. It wouldn't surprise me if in AT's mind had the power ranking as Beerus > Enraged Vegeta > Vegetto > Goku > Vegeta > Gohan (because AT hates Gohan). I'm just saying that "real" Vegetto would obliterate Beerus.

• Locked thread