Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Not auspol, but you get a free month of netflix, with apparently no commitments if you cancel before your month. Just signed up, gonna see what the fuss is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's stupid that you cant see what's on offer without signing up though.

There's a faq that says 'What can I see?' 'Lots of stuff!' :downs:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

More evidence that fukushima was actually the result of kaiju first contact

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I know very little about this issue, but that seems like a terrible idea.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
They learned nothing from Attack on Titan. Walls don't do poo poo.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SynthOrange posted:

It's stupid that you cant see what's on offer without signing up though.

There's a faq that says 'What can I see?' 'Lots of stuff!' :downs:

http://imgur.com/a/wz74R

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Zenithe posted:

Not auspol, but you get a free month of netflix, with apparently no commitments if you cancel before your month. Just signed up, gonna see what the fuss is about.

And if you are with iinet they are running a competition for a $4k TV if you use their referral link.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

I'm adding "anime watcher" to the list of grievances against you

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Combine that with a free week trial to a service like unblock-us.com or if you're viewing it from a pc just install the Hola extension to your browser. Changing Netflix regions is as easy as changing your browsing location and restarting Netflix, and there are sites which tell you the catalogue in every region.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Trap sprung

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

asio posted:

I dodged having to join SDA once because there was technically a small amount of tradesman style work involved that fell under the old Misc union so I stuck with United Voice from my hospitality days.

Has a look at UV website:

Sounds good. I'm not sure if they cover retail workers though. I'll send my friends a link anyway because they're already getting nervous.

Thanks.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Mad Katter posted:

I know very little about this issue, but that seems like a terrible idea.

I'm not a serious expert by any means, but having spent some time studying geomorphology seawall's are typically frowned upon and seen as a last resort if at all. Coasts and their protection (dunes) are driven by sea level. Sea walls are seen as a 'hard' solution that are costly to implement and maintain as well as ugly and unflattering. Further when they fail they fail catastrophically often resulting in damage worse than otherwise.

The preferred approach to defending coastlines is that of setback areas, dune building with vegetation and sand nourishment. Rather than building a big wall that can fail catastrophically, you reestablish the coastal foredune area via and nourishment with sand. The advantage of this approach is dunes dissipate wave energy rater than reflect it, and so long as theres a source of sediment, they rebuild themselves over time. You also retain the use of the beach and don't have to deal with unsightly concrete littering your coast.

trunkh fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 24, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

trunkh posted:

I'm not a serious expert by any means, but having spent some time studying geomorphology seawall's are typically frowned upon and seen as a last resort if at all. Coasts and their protection (dunes) are driven by sea level. Sea walls are seen as a 'hard' solution that are costly to implement and maintain as well as ugly and unflattering. Further when they fail they fail catastrophically often resulting in damage worse than otherwise.

The preferred approach to defending coastlines is that of setback areas, dune building with vegetation and sand nourishment. Rather than building a big wall that can fail catastrophically, you reestablish the coastal foredune area via and nourishment with sand. The advantage of this approach is dunes dissipate wave energy rater than reflect it, and so long as theres a source of sediment, they rebuild themselves over time. You also retain the use of the beach and don't have to deal with unsightly concrete littering your coast.

In the case of a tsunami though isn't it likely the dunes would just get overwhelmed?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Senor Tron posted:

In the case of a tsunami though isn't it likely the dunes would just get overwhelmed?

that's why giant robots are better.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just got a robocall from John Howard naming my local member and to support Mike Baird in the NSW election

Except... I'm 95% sure it was a John Howard impersonator, it sounded something "approaching" him but it didn't sound like him. It was very weird.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

that's why giant robots are better.

Are they better at stopping the boats?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sounds good. I'm not sure if they cover retail workers though. I'll send my friends a link anyway because they're already getting nervous.

Thanks.

Was there not a vote on this?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Just got a robocall from John Howard naming my local member and to support Mike Baird in the NSW election

Except... I'm 95% sure it was a John Howard impersonator, it sounded something "approaching" him but it didn't sound like him. It was very weird.
Max Gillies?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Are they better at stopping the boats?

looks pretty stopped to me

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tow-back is a bit rough though

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

AFAIK, no sea wall has ever held off a tsunami, including Japans previous attempt's. That's why dunes with set back areas are preferred. Rather than have a sea wall fail and have your infrastructure dissipate the waves energy.

A fordune with adequate setback area can dissipate a tsunamis wave energy and then rebuild itself over time. I'm phone posting but I believe there has been success in India in this regard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

trunkh posted:

Rather than have a sea wall fail and have your infrastructure dissipate the waves energy.
So that's what the eastern suburbs are for.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So that's what the eastern suburbs are for.

GO THE BUNNIES

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

katlington posted:

Are yo-

are you actually....

serious
*eyes dart around the camera*

serious?

Explain the joke I'm obviously unaware of. I've heard her speak, I understood what was said ... :shrug:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just got my Dems polling package today from Rendall Wagner: a bulk pack of how-to-vote cards, a couple of t-shirts and some bumper stickers. Fuckin' A, I'm ready to go.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ScreamingLlama posted:

I just got my Dems polling package today from Rendall Wagner: a bulk pack of how-to-vote cards, a couple of t-shirts and some bumper stickers. Fuckin' A, I'm ready to go.
Enjoy it. After this we enter a desolate wasteland of elections that people probably don't give a gently caress about.

(Apologies to people who actually may give a gently caress)

e: fixed typo completely changing the context - watching cricket.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 24, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

This is almost as funny as the time we had a DLP member in the thread.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Graic Gabtar posted:

Enjoy it. After this we enter a desolate wasteland of elections that people probably don't give a gently caress about.

(Apologies to people who actually may give a gently caress)

e: fixed typo completely changing the context - watching cricket.

Hows ABCs coverage of the cricket this year?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

ScreamingLlama posted:

My favourite part is gonna be when you open the package up, review the Dems' policies and realise you're campaigning for a cut-price Greens derivative

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

GoldStandardConure posted:

Hows ABCs coverage of the cricket this year?

Curious comment. Haven't listened to a word of it on the ABC. This is the third game I've watched on TV.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Goodpart posted:

My favourite part is gonna be when you open the package up, review the Dems' policies and realise you're campaigning for a cut-price Greens derivative

Bullshit. Just because we share some policies with the Greens, doesn't mean we're some kind of knockoff. Besides, Dems are actually older than the Greens.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

ScreamingLlama posted:

Bullshit. Just because we share some policies with the Greens, doesn't mean we're some kind of knockoff. Besides, Dems are actually older than the Greens.

Your party is stupid

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

ScreamingLlama posted:

"Some"

Also

Drugs posted:

Your party is stupid

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Drugs posted:

Your party is stupid

And so is he. It's fitting.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks.

They don't cover retail workers. They do however cover everyone from Short Order Cook to Hand-Setter (Mechanical Clocks) so you have to find something like that. They don't mind drawing long bows.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Earth Day is called Earth Day because it rhymes with "Birthday" and April 22nd was the marketing guys birthday.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

all days we experience are earth days unless you are an astronaut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Join the shoppies and change them from within

• Locked thread