Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's an official nba youtube playoff promotion but honestly those gifs are better because you dont have to hear Dick Vitale say 'baby' 50 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mirotic loving went off in the fourth quarter and it owned.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Since when did Mike Wilbon start posting in SAS?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I want the Raptors to face Atlanta in the 1st round

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BWV posted:

Since when did Mike Wilbon start posting in SAS?

Sorry, I'm a less rational Northwestern homer than that dude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://vine.co/v/OYl1ABJrw32

Niko status: still owning. Most points in the 4th quarter among all players in the NBA since the all star break.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
@jennydialcreech: McHale said he is going to have to start throwing Howard out there bc the Rockets are low on bodies. Didn't give a date, but sounds soon.

@Jonathan_Feigen: As @jennydialcreech mentioned, McHale said could play Howard "pretty soon." Don't be surprised if "pretty soon" synonymous w/ 'Wednesday."

Seems like a solid approach to injury recovery

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sorry, I'm a less rational Northwestern homer than that dude.

hahaha I was talking about the "HE DOESNT EVEN WATCH THE GAMES" talk.

If I wanted to make fun of a Bulls homer I'd call someone Sam Smith

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Holy poo poo that James Harden one

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I love David West:

quote:

David West retweeted
Massimo KingofNYC þ@MKingofnyc 2h2 hours ago
@D_West30 gently caress you lazy piece of poo poo. Go back to welfare. Thank your WHITEMAN for the money you half rear end lazy dog. Do some work YOU scumbag

That tweet was in response to D-Dub tweeting an interview with Xavier's men's bball coach. :allears:

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

PantsFreeZone posted:

Where's LeBron's?
lol

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Lockback posted:

Love was friends with Ricky too, and I think Kevin Martin and him got kinda close last year, but Martin seems like a basketball-shooting robot who is going to go be roomates with Rick Adelman after her retires.

They never hung out. My friend worked for the wolves in 2011. Love was always by himself or with Pek.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Hardwood Paroxysm @HPbasketball
The 1996 Bulls were plus-8.6 points per game at home in point differential. The Warriors at home are plus-15.3.

:stwoon:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

skillz that killz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFLAfVvWEBk

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

just going to make the first round exit even more beautiful

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ahaha this rules

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: http://i.imgur.com/cwG1Qm2.gifv

V: This Zach LaVine kid seems like he might be good

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Anybody have that image with Steve Kerr as the most successful first year coach and then lists all the other most successful first year coaches-- all of which had awful, awful, awful, awful careers?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Blinkman987 posted:

Anybody have that image with Steve Kerr as the most successful first year coach and then lists all the other most successful first year coaches-- all of which had awful, awful, awful, awful careers?

I mean much like Dunleavy, Pringles, et al you have a situation where a new coach is given a lot of talent and manages to not gently caress it all up so it'll be hard to tell how good or bad Kerr is until he faces some adversity.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone know how the ABA MVP was determined? I'm guessing player vote (as the NBA did back then) but I'm not sure.

Blinkman987 posted:

This one?

Here are those teams by SRS:

code:
Team				SRS
2015 Warriors 			9.99* 
1991 Lakers		 	6.73
1992 Suns 			5.68
2002 Trail Blazers 		3.21
2004 Nets 			1.88

*Warriors won by 31 tonight so it's now 10. something
The SRS record for a rookie coach is 8.99 with the 1947 Washington Capitols (Red Auerbach). Kerr will have that unless the team explodes.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Along with that discussion of rookie coaches having poor sustained success, can someone explain how Avery Johnson was so successful with Dallas? I mostly think of him as an outmatched coach and there aren't a lot of people who disagree with that. Now they were a good team before and after he left but those were with 2 great coaches themselves and while it's obviously a good roster it wasn't ridiculously stacked either.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Zogo posted:

Anyone know how the ABA MVP was determined? I'm guessing player vote (as the NBA did back then) but I'm not sure.

This one?

Here are those teams by SRS:

code:
Team				SRS
2015 Warriors 			9.99* 
1991 Lakers		 	6.73
1992 Suns 			5.68
2002 Trail Blazers 		3.21
2004 Nets 			1.88

*Warriors won by 31 tonight so it's now 10. something
The SRS record for a rookie coach is 8.99 with the 1947 Washington Capitols (Red Auerbach). Kerr will have that unless the team explodes.

Yes, thank you.

Yeah, this Warriors team is historically good and it's infuriating as someone who hates the Bay Area / Warriors fans / Steph Curry's fetal alcohol syndrome head. =(

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Along with that discussion of rookie coaches having poor sustained success, can someone explain how Avery Johnson was so successful with Dallas? I mostly think of him as an outmatched coach and there doesn't a lot of people who disagree with that. Now they were a good team before and after he left but those were with 2 great coaches themselves and while it's obviously a good roster it wasn't ridiculously stacked either.

He inherited a team with good players and got them to play some defense. They'd been good for a while. Nellie laid the groundwork for that team for sure.

I always felt they were built specifically to defeat San Antonio. Turns out Baron Davis can push guards he outweighs by 30 lbs around pretty easily. (Nellie knowing exactly how to attack Dirk helped a lot too)
I wonder if the Jazz series would have been closer if he hadn't hosed up his hamstring.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Yes, thank you.

Yeah, this Warriors team is historically good and it's infuriating as someone who hates the Bay Area / Warriors fans / Steph Curry's fetal alcohol syndrome head. =(

Honestly it's pretty great if you hate Mark Jackson

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

N: http://i.imgur.com/cwG1Qm2.gifv

V: This Zach LaVine kid seems like he might be good

He's not

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this

http://on.nba.com/1vmwxlB

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

His 3p% is kinda what's important here. If he can get that to stabilize in the 38-40 range he'll be a decent SG as a off-ball shooter, slasher and secondary ball-handler.

I mean, good is a pretty strong word, but the guy's been playing better and has some promise.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

His 3p% is kinda what's important here. If he can get that to stabilize in the 38-40 range he'll be a decent SG as a off-ball shooter, slasher and secondary ball-handler.

I mean, good is a pretty strong word, but the guy's been playing better and has some promise.

How about he breaks out the 10 PER range and maybe gets into positive win share territory and we can consider him eventually being "average"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

seriously if you havent watched lavine's turnover reel i'd recommend getting a glass of expensive rum, flipping on yaketty sax, and letting the good times roll

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

How about he breaks out the 10 PER range and maybe gets into positive win share territory and we can consider him eventually being "average"

Antetokuonmpo, Afflalo, Korver, Bledsoe, Hayward, Dragic are all guards that had PERs in the 10 range their rookie year. Only about 10% of rookies end up with a PER above 15 their first year, and usually those are bigs. Seriously- rookies are, on the whole, not good basketball players their first year.

I mean, LaVine is not a good player, but he has made improvements. He cannot play Point Guard though, that much is clear, though he doesn't have control over where they play him.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He has nice form so he'll probably eventually be a good 3pt shooter. He has the potential yo be the best dunker ever. So if he starts jacking up 30 ft shots and dunks and never shoots anything else, he'll be my favorite player of alltime. From an entertainment standpoint.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zach LaVine is a 19 year old rookie with lots of raw talent and not much actual game time no poo poo he isn't good now. That doesn't mean he won't be in a year or two (it also doesn't mean he will be) jesus christ just enjoy the cool basketballman shots that led his team to an OT win

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the season ended today, the Sixers would have 3 first round picks (and a 17% chance at the Lakers pick).

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I mean, playing PG when he shouldn't be is going to increase his turnovers and gently caress his advanced stats, but out of the < 100 teenagers who've played in the league, LaVine is one of the most inefficient by a few different metrics.

Also Wiggins' current 13.0 PER would be good enough for 2nd Worst ROTY PER ever after the guy who won in 1958, whlie his .29 WS/48 would make him 5th worst ROTY after 3 dudes from 1958-80 and MCW.

I guess I can mostly take this to mean that the Wolves are real bad this year.

In other news, since All-Star Break, the Spurs are allowing fewer Opp 3PA than any other team, although their Opp3P% is leading the league. Assuming what we've seen recently with Opp3P% being as purely variable (if not moreso) as OppFT% holds true in this case, they might be in even better shape for the playoffs than we're figuring already. GSW is right down there with not allowing 3PAs either. I'd very much like to see a Spurs/GSW series.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

shouldn't we take the steadily decreasing rookie performance to be indicative of a larger gap between NBA level athletes and amateurs than existed in the past. I think the league as a whole takes things a lot more seriously than it used to so it stands to reason that the growing pains today would be greater than they used to be.

e: the last genuinely good 'true rookie' was chris paul (griffin had a year to adjust to the nba)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was thinking something similar, a more competitive league's going to mean more inefficient numbers upon acclimation, but I'm not sure the numbers quite match up to that--plus you could also assume that along those lines the rookies should be getting better like the league--plus population growth and better scouting means you have a way bigger pool to draw from. My guess is that the three years of college that top prospects usually had before entering the NBA is affecting rookie efficiency more than overall league quality--you're going to be more inefficient if you're entering the league without experience, and all the one-and-dones are young compared to previous top prospects.

With that said, Kyrie Irving was 19 and completely sick just a few years ago when he won ROTY, and Kyrie, Durant and LeBron are the only 19 year olds to win it so far. Generational talent will still shine, you just don't get it every year.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

shouldn't we take the steadily decreasing rookie performance to be indicative of a larger gap between NBA level athletes and amateurs than existed in the past. I think the league as a whole takes things a lot more seriously than it used to so it stands to reason that the growing pains today would be greater than they used to be.

e: the last genuinely good 'true rookie' was chris paul (griffin had a year to adjust to the nba)

I'm not sure how much "adjusting" Griffen got to do after he was drafted then sat for a year. He was injured and likely not traveling with the team, or practicing with them, so he wouldn't have gotten that experience, which I feel is a big part of the difference between college and the pros.

The other stuff I agree with tho. NBA schemes on both sides of the ball are just much more complex than college these days; it's not surprising that rookies struggle to learn it all. It's a different style of play, nearly a different sport.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I was thinking something similar, a more competitive league's going to mean more inefficient numbers upon acclimation, but I'm not sure the numbers quite match up to that--plus you could also assume that along those lines the rookies should be getting better like the league--plus population growth and better scouting means you have a way bigger pool to draw from. My guess is that the three years of college that top prospects usually had before entering the NBA is affecting rookie efficiency more than overall league quality--you're going to be more inefficient if you're entering the league without experience, and all the one-and-dones are young compared to previous top prospects.

With that said, Kyrie Irving was 19 and completely sick just a few years ago when he won ROTY, and Kyrie, Durant and LeBron are the only 19 year olds to win it so far. Generational talent will still shine, you just don't get it every year.

Lebron had a sub .100 WS/48 his rookie year, even he struggled to be efficient.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If you look at the stats, Griffin is doing about as well this year as he did his rookie year. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
So did Durant, his was one of the most inefficient ROTY seasons ever--but again that's all three 19 year old ROTYs right there. I don't got a problem with the overall point, but, I mean, MCW was 22 and the draft class didn't have immediately shining stars.

• Locked thread