Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well that was certainly a flaccid end to that last Yuma and Shark duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:rip: saikyou combination :smith:

Fixed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Slur posted:

I believe it was necessary, only because some people aren't familiar with the metagame, mechanics, cards, or common tricks here and there of the game. Though the stream audience is niche, it's best to expand invitation to newcomers and those who wish to learn of the game itself.

It also keeps the chat clean of "wait, what does that card do?" "What card?" "The card you just played!" "Oh, this one?" "No, the one you just played" "but there's stream delay!" etc.

Yes but do you do it in a dramatic voice? That's the key.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

Yes but do you do it in a dramatic voice? That's the key.

Having to dramatically incant a summon for your highly floatable boss monster will get old after a while.

Spooky Skeletons
Prop up the king to power
witness OTK

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 24, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Having to dramatically incant a summon for your highly floatable boss monster will get old after a while.

But if you don't incant in ancient Egyptian, Ra will transform himself into a Hieratic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a recorded copy on the stream somewhere or are we on the a timezone on the other side of the planet simply out of luck?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Which program are you guys playing with? I usually just play with DN, but if we're doing stuff on Dev Pro or YGO Pro, I'd like in on it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Xoidanor posted:

Is there a recorded copy on the stream somewhere or are we on the a timezone on the other side of the planet simply out of luck?

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/463504 is mine.

Dexie posted:

Which program are you guys playing with? I usually just play with DN, but if we're doing stuff on Dev Pro or YGO Pro, I'd like in on it.

I use YGOPro because DevPro opens windows for each duel

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's over.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

It's over.

poo poo, I finally could install YGOPro and set my deck.

Stupid job :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright, I'm done with Zexal, it's over... holy poo poo. Zexal is a bad show, it's not even just a bad anime show, it's a bad Yugioh show. Even as far as the advertising of children's cards go, the only monsters I ever looked at and were like "YO I NEED THAT CARD" were the Galaxy-Eyes cards because they're cool. The main cast for the most part is full of lovely bad characters. Yuma remains sort of the same way throughout the whole show and even though the show continuously flashes back to him being emotionally broken, he never actually is consistently shown in emotional duress. There is literally a moment in the final duel where Yuma yells "THIS IS THE MOST FUN DUEL I'VE HAD" and then 20 minutes later Astral is saying Yuma has forgotten how to have fun while dueling. Like how could you honestly gently caress something like that up? It's pretty easy to avoid. The remaining members of the main cast are bad too. Tori's worthless, Bronk was fun for a few episodes then was just sort of there, Caswell sucks and I hate his English VA, Cathy never lived up to her intro episode afterwards, and Flip is literally Hitler. You don't know how happy I was when Nistro and Dextra were about to throw him out of Heartland for good, because he's such an awful character.

On the subject of characters I did like, there's Kite. I flip-flopped on Kite, but after a while I started to like him despite his earlier impressions. His final duel with Yuma in the first half and his final duel with Mizar were really enjoyable, especially since he dies right after dueling Mizar to cap off how much he kicked his rear end. It's kind of fighting I like the Kaiba character and his monster a lot, but I thought he was done pretty well. Shark I also liked a lot in the first half, moreso than in the second half. He was a cool way to do a Joey-style character without going for the obvious poo poo like what happened with Crow. He was just a dude who was really good at dueling and a delinquent who reformed through becoming friends with Yuma. It's part of why I don't like the second half of Zexal at all is that he's the Barian Leader, because this is all very sudden for this kind of character and his camaraderie with the Barian Emperors feels insanely forced, especially with Vector. I liked that at the end he still valued Yuma a lot, but him dedicating himself to the Barians because of some lovely obligation he feels he has to uphold from a past life sucked. Some side characters I like were like Nistro, The Sparrow, and Anna. Not really Anna I guess, but her dueling style was cool and I enjoyed how unorthodox it was. I actually really liked Astral a lot too, but I think my like for him just disappeared in the second half underneath all of the loving poo poo that happened and I feel bad about that.

In terms of like villain characters, they're all pretty bad. Before you get to Faker and Vetrix, there's all these lovely monster-of-the-week villains that take two episodes to beat and have boring monsters. The tournament happens and they take FOREVER to loving get past the preliminaries, it's like twice as long as the Arc-V poo poo, although it doesn't end with two cool duels and Gongenzaka... it ends with a wet fart. Then comes the finals and I swear to god, Vector and his kids are the worst. The kids are the most antagonistic little douchebags ever and actively tried to hurt people for the sake of bringing back a father who hates them. The fact that they are all forgiven afterwards makes it worse, they legit destroyed the lives of tons of people, put others in the hospital, and attempted to kill other people and it's just like "Nah, it's cool dog. We're all BFFs now." It comes off as incredibly hollow when Quattro is dueling Nasch and saying he wants his best friend back when his and Shark's only connection before the tournament was him ruining Shark's life and hospitalizing his sister. Vetrix himself being forgiven so easily after he treated his children like garbage, stole the souls of other people,, and left Kazuma to die in Barian World is loving insane. I'm not saying Yuma needs to kill him or anything, but holy poo poo can he show some sort of anger towards this dude? Dr. Faker just sits behind a computer for most of the first half and then he gets his lovely sob story too to justify trying to destroy Astral World and is also easily forgiven. The guy legit attempted to kill his own son and everyone's fine with him not at least being locked up. I liked Heartland I guess, but he didn't do much beyond being a goofy character.

To talk about the Barians is to talk about me hating the loving piss out of Zexal II. I already don't like Zexal I, but at least there isn't nonstop character backgrounds, endless devaluing of the main villain, and stupid loving "Pull this out of my rear end" duels constantly, only half and half. Zexal II is badly paced and the Barians are a big part of the reason why. So all of the Barians suck and I want to outline why starting with Girag. We are introduced to Girag as a scary big dude with the power to control people. However, when Alito shows up, the Barians become the major enemies. Girag is not portrayed consistently. He's goofy, he's dumb, a meathead, a mastermind, a comrade, etc. If you can name a character trait that someone in Girag's spot can fill, he does it. He also has a dumb backstory. Alito I liked more than most of the other ones, but even he falls under that overexposure syndrome where you get sick of seeing his face. His duels were at least fun and I liked Battlin Boxers, so eh. Mizar's boring as poo poo and if it weren't for his Galaxy-Eyes, would be completely forgettable. Dumon... exists. I've said what I have to say about Nasch, except that I think the ending of his duel with Quattro was bullshit. Rio/Marin is a prop for Shark with little in the way of an interesting character that isn't "I"m so good at everything even though I just got out of the hospital." Vector... is a terrible villain, but man is he fun to watch. He just shits on everyone's dumb character traits and hates all of them, it's the best. Don Thousand is awful and I can't seriously believe they brought back Heartland just to fill episodes up because they couldn't think of way to fill them in. I still find it really funny they went the Dartz route for Don Thousand, because it's never not stupid.

All in all, Zexal is a mess of a show with little in the way of fun characters. It is badly plotted, written, and I don't like it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rewatch the loving last half of 5Ds and GX to remind myself of how dumb they are.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And there you have it. gently caress Zexal.

I'm updating Percy right now, and then I'll touch up my NKs even though I'm not the best with them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's interesting that you especially hate Zexal II, because most Zexal fans insist that while the first one is a slog the second one is much better.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

And there you have it. gently caress Zexal.

I'm updating Percy right now, and then I'll touch up my NKs even though I'm not the best with them.

If I may give some suggestions:

-A Trapless build is ideal

-If you want to run traps, the most useful is Solemn Scolding and going on the current meta, Imperial Iron Wall is worth looking.

-Parallel Twister is another great tech

-Check an Unexpected Guy, it allows for good opening plays.

-Don't understimate Table

-Three Brothers are kind of a must these days.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If I may give some suggestions:

-A Trapless build is ideal

-If you want to run traps, the most useful is Solemn Scolding and going on the current meta, Imperial Iron Wall is worth looking.

-Parallel Twister is another great tech

-Check an Unexpected Guy, it allows for good opening plays.

-Don't understimate Table

-Three Brothers are kind of a must these days.

This is my deck with Scolding and 2 more brothers

EDIT: Before I was running 3 Vanity which is... not possible these days. I also haven't touched this deck since Eachtar came out so... yeah.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 24, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Looks pretty drat solid.

Although I'm not fully sold on the Kaiser on the side, A Monarch Stormforth and you're boned (plus isn't that useful against Nekroz).

You're also lacking on effect negation, Breakthrough and Chalice are great options

My deck is pretty similar in fact

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thank you Beef Waifu for allowing me to vicariously experience why Zexal sucks without actually having to expose myself to it. You have done a great service.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Looks pretty drat solid.

Although I'm not fully sold on the Kaiser on the side, A Monarch Stormforth and you're boned (plus isn't that useful against Nekroz).

You're also lacking on effect negation, Breakthrough and Chalice are great options

My deck is pretty similar in fact

Kaiser is to side against more non-standard decks such as Madolche, also surprisingly helpful versus Burning Abyss, Shaddols and Qli. Not as good as good old vanity but... well I don't have that anymore. Nekroz... I've not really fought so I don't know how to fight it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Kaiser is to side against more non-standard decks such as Madolche, also surprisingly helpful versus Burning Abyss, Shaddols and Qli. Not as good as good old vanity but... well I don't have that anymore. Nekroz... I've not really fought so I don't know how to fight it.

The biggest Nekroz threat is Trishula since Excaliburn is useless against it, you have few options to deal wit it: you either play without hand/graveyard so its effect can't be applied, you run effect negation or you block removal entirely

BA biggest threat were the fuckton of traps they used to run but nowadays they are more aggro and don't run that many traps, evening the odds. In the end is more a battle of attrition with them.

Shaddoll are by far the easiest match we have against high tier decks

Qli aren't that overwhelming under the new banlist so as along you keep Gallatin on the field you will be fine.

Ritual Beasts are a potential threat but they rely on removing, so Imperial is your best shot

Yosenju are a MASSIVE pain in the rear end if they set their board before us, otherwise, they have plenty of issues to past a full NK board.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So Arc-V is a loving awesome show that does awesome things and manages to be kinda subtle about them (spoilers for the latest episode which you should go watch right f'in now).

In the latest episode, Shun, Tsukikage and Selena duel Obelisk Force.
Obelisk Force all summon their Triple Bite Hound Dogs (1700 ATK).
At this point, Shun tries to take his turn, but is interrupted by Selena, who preforms a combo that would OTK all three Obelisk Force, but they use a trap to block her (citing that they know her deck inside and out).
At this point, before Shun can try to take his turn again, Mitchie and Teppei interrupt and preform their own combo that clears the Obelisk Forces field and does them all 2000 damage.
But Obelisk Force responds by reviving their Hound Dogs and preforming a combo that does 2000 damage each time one is revived. Mitchie and Teppei had both taken 2000 damage from the intrusion penalty, so this defeated both of them, leading to them both getting carded. Then before Tsukikage can be finished off, Sawatari steps in.

So you might think at first, "well jesus if they weren't all going ahead of Shun, he would've just done some Xyz poo poo and OTKed all of them!" but if you do the math, if Shun summons Rise Falcon and attacks all three Hound Dogs, it would've left each Obelisk Force with 200 LP. Then they could do their combo and hit Shun for 2000 damage three times, at least two of which probably would've hit, since he was in no shape to go running for Action Cards, leaving Shun very, very dead.

Mitchie and Teppei fell on the grenade for Shun. Greatest combination indeed. :rip:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like how Michio and Teppei only died (or at least both of them) because Reiji didn't bother to do anything to disable that penalty. Well, and because the Obelisk Force are clearly stacking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I like how Michio and Teppei only died (or at least both of them) because Reiji didn't bother to do anything to disable that penalty. Well, and because the Obelisk Force are clearly stacking.

I now want a 5 second clip of them stacking their decks between duels. It would fit them being serious business so hard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
loving lol'd at Teppei calling Mitchie his partner with "aibou" (the partner synonym that Yugi and Atem used) that death flag was waving tall and proud.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
So thanks to the current show and all this enthusiastic posting, I ended up downloading Devpro and try to play this game for the first time. Ended up building an Igknight deck for that new hotness. Also I assume the opponents will not know how to play against it as much as I dont know how to play with it. So far the strongest pendulum play I have made with my firearm equipped Power rangers is to summon two little leaguers and a Rabbit. I think I kind of like this game.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's interesting that you especially hate Zexal II, because most Zexal fans insist that while the first one is a slog the second one is much better.

These sound like the same people that tell you to skip the tomato episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vise the Stompy posted:

So thanks to the current show and all this enthusiastic posting, I ended up downloading Devpro and try to play this game for the first time. Ended up building an Igknight deck for that new hotness. Also I assume the opponents will not know how to play against it as much as I dont know how to play with it. So far the strongest pendulum play I have made with my firearm equipped Power rangers is to summon two little leaguers and a Rabbit. I think I kind of like this game.

Wait what the gently caress? Why did no one in this thread mention that Devpro had patched in CORE? :mad:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goddamn I never thought I'd feel sad about Teppei but here we are. Michie at least had episodes to build him up as a nice guy after Yuya showed him the error of his ways, but Teppei was built as an rear end and a joke character. And yet, I still felt super sad for him getting carded. Goodbye, best combination.

But at least we won't have anyone else suffering now that Neo New Sawatari MkII Reloaded: Wind Boogaloo has joined with the strength of a hundred men. Now they can win.

Also Yuya vs Sora next ep should be great. I was really hoping Yuya kept berserk because I want the Fusion Dimension to suffer, but at the same time I'm hoping this ends well and Sora gets redeemed somehow, because I honestly like Sora when he isn't being an evil monster. And sometimes when he is, his insane expressions are awesome.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Xoidanor posted:

Wait what the gently caress? Why did no one in this thread mention that Devpro had patched in CORE? :mad:

I don't know if everything is patched in but they added all the revealed Igknights and I think the Red-eye stuff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VJeff posted:

So Arc-V is a loving awesome show that does awesome things and manages to be kinda subtle about them (spoilers for the latest episode which you should go watch right f'in now).

So you might think at first, "well jesus if they weren't all going ahead of Shun, he would've just done some Xyz poo poo and OTKed all of them!" but if you do the math, if Shun summons Rise Falcon and attacks all three Hound Dogs, it would've left each Obelisk Force with 200 LP. Then they could do their combo and hit Shun for 2000 damage three times, at least two of which probably would've hit, since he was in no shape to go running for Action Cards, leaving Shun very, very dead.

Mitchie and Teppei fell on the grenade for Shun. Greatest combination indeed. :rip:

You're assuming that the Obelisk Force only has 2000 LP each at that point. Revolution Falcon could've finished the job if Kurosaki got a turn after that, but it's still after Michio and Teppei eat the effect damage.

e: Oh right, I was only looking at the actual card's effects. Whoops. But Rise Falcon would've left them with 500 LP each instead of 200.

Xoidanor posted:

It's a really recent update, to be fair.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 24, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

I mean I guess Zexal II's plot is slightly more structured with an actual endgame in sight, but the last 20 or so episodes after Nasch starts leading the Barians becomes a loving mess of poo poo happening episode after episode. It's like the episodes after Sora's duel with Shun where literally everything in the world happens for 4 episodes. Instead of 4 episodes though it was 26 now. The first third of Zexal II is also plagued with establishing who the Barians are and what they're doing. It's all handled very poorly capping off the first third with the defeat of one of the major villains of Zexal II when he had built a clear advantage over his opponent. So the villain no longer comes off as a threat and with some of the middle stuff like Heartland's buddies and finding the other numbers he's just a goony troll. A lot of Zexal II comes off like it's trying to have some semblance of an overarching plot, but the characters who are a part of that are handled so badly from the start it all falls apart.

Zexal I was bad, but I at least felt like it started getting a decent flow halfway in and some of the duels were cool and Yuma actually lost sometimes. In Zexal II he wins literally every duel he's in no matter how contrived and stupid the victory needs to be. It's especially capped off in the last episode terribly where instead of Yuma going into the climax with his own monsters, he just summons up a new Utopia with a bunch of dumb new cards and abilities to win. At least in the finale of Zexal I it was a test of skill between Kite and Yuma not using bullshit cards to one up the other and instead it came down to their established monsters. Kite ended up winning because he was the better duelist, not due to some world ending cataclysm. It's part of why I like the Jack and Yusei final duel, it's just a test of skill between them for their own personal closure.

Like at the end of the day they're both bad, but I at moments enjoyed Zexal I, meanwhile Zexal II was one long string of "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhh" with varying loudness.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I felt the recent tag duel in Arc-V could've been solved without anyone being sacrificed if Shun just got his turn and Rise Falcon'd them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

Also I felt the recent tag duel in Arc-V could've been solved without anyone being sacrificed if Shun just got his turn and Rise Falcon'd them.

How do you figure? After detaching an overlay unit, Rise Falcon would've only had 5200 attack points and done 3500 points of damage to each of them. He would have immediately lost after that from the trap cards' effects.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually forgot about that they didn't get the 2000 each until the trap cards starting happening.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Maybe I am just a glutton for revival of old archetypes, but I can't help but wonder if we may get some new Ancient Gear support, since Obelisk Force uses them.

It's a long shot, but I still hope so, because I love old-timey technology.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I wonder how Shun's carpet bombing of Sora is going to be censored in the dub.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Infernoid is a fun archetype. Especially if you draw Reasoning turn 1.

"Okay, I'm gonna toss half my deck into the grave, and then summon a bunch of nasty beaters.

Oh, what's this? Void Dream? Now all my monsters are level 1 so I can summon a full field of nasty monsters."

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

I just downloaded Devpro a few days ago after getting into Arc-V. This is the first time I've played since around when Elemental Heroes came out and I haven't watched the anime since GX season 2 so I've had a lot to catch up on. Building any sort of deck with Xyz is still confusing me. Haven't even touched Pendulum yet. I was playing a game earlier where I had Necrovalley out and my opponent played their own field spell which didn't destroy Necrovalley and I thought it was bugging out at first. When did they change how field spells work? And have there been any other changes like that? I'm just surprised that they made a change to the base rules like that.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The field spell changes came out at the start of Arc V, I want to say? Aside from that, there's the change that prevents you from drawing a card in your draw phase during the first turn of the game. For Xyz's, just chuck in a lot of special summoning power or take a look at one of the Xyz archetypes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Quirkk posted:

I just downloaded Devpro a few days ago after getting into Arc-V. This is the first time I've played since around when Elemental Heroes came out and I haven't watched the anime since GX season 2 so I've had a lot to catch up on. Building any sort of deck with Xyz is still confusing me. Haven't even touched Pendulum yet. I was playing a game earlier where I had Necrovalley out and my opponent played their own field spell which didn't destroy Necrovalley and I thought it was bugging out at first. When did they change how field spells work? And have there been any other changes like that? I'm just surprised that they made a change to the base rules like that.

Since past year's July.

The other notorious change is that the starting player can't draw on their first turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Aside from that, there's the change that prevents you from drawing a card in your draw phase during the first turn of the game.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The other notorious change is that the starting player can't draw on their first turn.

Yeh, I thought I was misremembering that.

I'm playing with a Madolche deck at the moment to get used to Xyz and the amount of recycling cards that goes on now. It's been pretty fun now that I'm remembering which cards work together. Sometimes I have so many options I just have to pick random poo poo before the time runs out. Also, the first time I've had more than 10 cards in my hand.