Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DigitalRaven posted:

There's a reason I'm not the only one in my team to have lock picks in my toolkit.

Lock picks are a tried and true method for providing a repeatable manual override on a door you may or may not have legitimate access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Directory cleanup? Version control? What are these things you speak of

Pfft, the production server I have that my old boss used to have access to had like 20 times as many "/BACKUPGOODONE2/" folders.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I cannot deal with my company anymore. poo poo, crap, feces, and more poo poo just keeps getting dumped on my team. Had a meeting with one of the new interim bosses. Got a scolding for not having one helpdesk guy in the room at all times. I brought up that just last Wednesday I was told that having my team ask for tickets and not immediately respond to drop-ins and remoting into computers was deemed to impersonal. That because of our insistence on tickets we were deemed not "customer service" oriented enough and that we needed to get up with the user walk to their desk and take a look at the problem right then and there. Interim boss managed to stammer out something about having to walk a fine line before asking why morale seemed so low. These people are clueless and I cant get out of here soon enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spazz posted:

Please tell me this is in production and someone can access "http://server/index - backup.php"

I was only aware of index.html - it's a google map with locations on it. It's a production server but it's internal only.

"It's a static website" <- not sure where this old fucker got that term but he uses it all the time.
"It's not a static website it gets items from the database! It's not going to be fast!"

Dude you're pulling like 60 products from a database and putting them on the screen. It should not take 25 seconds to load a page.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

it's internal only.

There's your problem, nobody outside the company is going to see it, so the developer/maintainer doesn't give half a poo poo about proper setup.

Also I assume static means there is only one copy of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cannot deal with my company anymore. poo poo, crap, feces, and more poo poo just keeps getting dumped on my team. Had a meeting with one of the new interim bosses. Got a scolding for not having one helpdesk guy in the room at all times. I brought up that just last Wednesday I was told that having my team ask for tickets and not immediately respond to drop-ins and remoting into computers was deemed to impersonal. That because of our insistence on tickets we were deemed not "customer service" oriented enough and that we needed to get up with the user walk to their desk and take a look at the problem right then and there. Interim boss managed to stammer out something about having to walk a fine line before asking why morale seemed so low. These people are clueless and I cant get out of here soon enough.

You are applying for other jobs, right? 420 :yotj: every day.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

when he asked why morale was low did you answer "Because of conversations like this one"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I can pick really cheap and lovely locks, but I've yet to get through a door.

Of course I only use a paperclip and a flathead screwdriver. I also don't want to have to explain to HR why I felt breaking in was appropriate. Maybe I'll make a set of picks one day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skooma512 posted:

I can pick really cheap and lovely locks, but I've yet to get through a door.

Of course I only use a paperclip and a flathead screwdriver. I also don't want to have to explain to HR why I felt breaking in was appropriate. Maybe I'll make a set of picks one day.

I just bought a trainer thing off of Massdrop.

They constantly have lockpick sets/tools up on there because a lot of the people who vote for new items are the "Every Day Carry Collective" and seem to be super-tryhard survivalist types.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Boltcutters too, ya'll. IMO a good set is always a necessity. Dealt with a guy years ago who felt locking all the servers down into the rack with cable locks and in some cases chain link which was just absurd. This is on top of the fingerprint scanner/keycard to access the server room and a lock/combination on the server cage.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Inspector_666 posted:

I just bought a trainer thing off of Massdrop.

They constantly have lockpick sets/tools up on there because a lot of the people who vote for new items are the "Every Day Carry Collective" and seem to be super-tryhard survivalist types.

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only person this thread motivated to purchase lockpicks today.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Did you willfully violate U.S.C. Title 39 Section 3002a?????

quote:

when mailing "locksmith entry tools" to the buyer, i.e. buyer certifies that he/she/it is one or more of the following: a bona fide locksmith; lock distributor; bona fide repossessor; motor vehicle dealer; lock manufacturer; or a motor vehicle manufacturer, law enforcement officer; a bona fide fire fighter; a bona fide purchaser for one of the aforementioned; and/or a customer who will have this purchase shipped outside the United States, its possession, or territories.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

myron cope posted:

Just go to DefCon and buy them there like everyone else.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

myron cope posted:

Yeah that's the thing. If you're caught with lockpicking gear they are considered burglary tools and not just anyone can have them.

Although probably nobody is going to look through your tool box and you could probably hide them fairly easily amongst other tools or in those little tool sets with the nylon cases.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skooma512 posted:

Yeah that's the thing. If you're caught with lockpicking gear they are considered burglary tools and not just anyone can have them.

State law varies, but it's definitely something that they can/will use to jam you up if they feel like it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Someone in management must have gotten on operation's poo poo, because they are now reporting everything. Eeeeeverything. I was playing along for a bit, now I'm just what the gently caress. They're reporting it at all hours too - I'm at the computer so I am responding to a few and getting shorter and shorter every time.

"Sys admins, this server is at 80% memory utilization, please advise."
"Confirming, box is using 80% of its memory."

"IT, seeing CPU pressure on X box, please advise."
"Tell it to use less CPU."

My favorite of the night was the guy who just sent me a list of server names and percentages. No context just, domain controller 72%, SQL 43%, web server 84%. What am I even supposed to do with these numbers?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah that kinda poo poo just isn't useful

DB server X is using 90% memory - duh that's what SQL has allocated to it

Report server Y has had the CPUs pegged for the past half hour - duh it's running a huge batch of reports, same as every other Monday

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

myron cope posted:

Nah.

I'm in Scotland, so it's legal to buy/ship from a UK retailer, but possession is covered under Section 58(1) of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. Or would be if I had two or more convictions for theft, as that's to whom that section of the Act applies. As I've no convictions it doesn't apply, and anyway they're kept at work for the express purposes of opening locks at work on the order of the owner of the lock.

If I carried them off the premises and the polis took issue, they'd do me and find a way to make it stick, but that's the polis for you.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Someone in management must have gotten on operation's poo poo, because they are now reporting everything. Eeeeeverything. I was playing along for a bit, now I'm just what the gently caress. They're reporting it at all hours too - I'm at the computer so I am responding to a few and getting shorter and shorter every time.

"Sys admins, this server is at 80% memory utilization, please advise."
"Confirming, box is using 80% of its memory."

"IT, seeing CPU pressure on X box, please advise."
"Tell it to use less CPU."

My favorite of the night was the guy who just sent me a list of server names and percentages. No context just, domain controller 72%, SQL 43%, web server 84%. What am I even supposed to do with these numbers?

Malicious compliance?

My first thought is to reply with "wow, really? that's not a problem per se but it could turn into one, you should have someone checking that every five minutes for the next three weeks"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Countdown until they automate sending you those emails every five minutes.

"Sysadmin, server CPU utilization is as follows, please advise:

Web: 65%
SQL: 80%
DC: 38%"

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off.... My own stupid personality flaws.
Finally :yotj: (no start date yet, waiting on HR-y stuff) and while I know it's the right move its going to mess with my routine. The thought of changing my routine makes me really nervous and extra anxious. I know its dumb but that's how it is. Half my brain is all :slick: because better opportunity, the other half is :supaburn: because change. I hate my brain sometimes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Netsuite and NAV quotes are finally coming in this week....goodbye hodgepodge of 10 different systems.

code:
Vendor	    Product	                   Month	Year		
ASK	        AS/400 Disaster Recovery    750	 $9,000.00 		
ASK	        iSeries Maintenance		   $8,925.00 	14-Nov	
ASK	        iSeries Hardware		   $10,279.00 	Sep-11	41116
Harris Data	ERP Software	           $35,000.00 		
WRSI	    Shipping Address	       $4,000.00 		
Sequel	    Reporting		           $2,350.00 		
Curbstone	Credit card		           $11,717.00 		Paid 8793 in 2012
ACT	        CRM		                   ? 		
web-firm	Web portal, e-commerce	   $15,000.00 		21021
contractor	Dashboard		           $21,241.00 		
FileMaker	Engineering stuff		   ? 		
		Total	 $117,512.00	
behind the scenes we have PHP on Linux, PHP on iSeries (Zend), Access, who the gently caress knows what else

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

n3rdal3rt posted:

Finally :yotj: (no start date yet, waiting on HR-y stuff) and while I know it's the right move its going to mess with my routine. The thought of changing my routine makes me really nervous and extra anxious. I know its dumb but that's how it is. Half my brain is all :slick: because better opportunity, the other half is :supaburn: because change. I hate my brain sometimes.

I'm like that every time I change jobs..

It's going to be a GREAT change!
But what if I'm not good enough for the job?
gently caress this place. New place is going to be so much better.
I should stay here, I have a stable job and I know I'm good at what I do here.
These routine jobs are loving boring.
gently caress, I'll have to learn a whole new infrastructure.
I can kick back and chillax until I start at New place. whoo!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Countdown until they automate sending you those emails every five minutes.

"Sysadmin, server CPU utilization is as follows, please advise:

Web: 65%
SQL: 80%
DC: 38%"

"That's nice. My BAC is currently 2.7%, please advise."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

n3rdal3rt posted:

Doing this too, and for me its just a move within the company.

I'm stuck at the datacenter for another week to keep things stable, and next week I move to a new facility and a new team, and I am all over the place emotionally about how I should feel about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dumb old guy: "I need to take down the credit card software to update it. It should only take about 15 minutes, I'll do it tonight from home."
Me: "Just do it today so you can do some other stuff. Email everyone and let them know there will be downtime. If you let people know it's okay, it's not something we need running 24/7."

So he loving emails all@ourcompany.com, which is an old distribution list. Only 6 people on the loving list still even work here. So then the helpdesk guy points that out to him, so he just forwards that email (with the header full of people who are no longer here) to everyone@ourcompany.com, which is the new list.

He also sends the email at 9:59 telling people the software will be down from 10:00 to 10:30. Nice notice!

Edit: And he just got bitched out by HR for putting all the old employees names out there. Hahaha.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 24, 2015

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

"We need a list of our support, maintenance, and subscription contract expirations so we can better plan renewals."
"Here is a list in a shared Excel workbook I've been maintaining that has everything you want."

*months later*

"Oh poo poo this critical license expired, renew it quick! How did this happen? We need a way to track renewals!"
"Here is the Excel workbook I've been maintaining."

*months more*

"Guys I've been warning you about this soon to expire license for weeks, are we going to renew this!?"
"We need a better way to track renewals, let's custom build a monster app that does a million other things too."

:bang: I cannot get it through they're heads. Buying or building some crazy solution is not going to suddenly fix your problem if you're the problem.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

n3rdal3rt posted:

Same stuff man. New jobs/offers/negotiation make the emotional gut do flips but the logic is always good. I get real upset and anxious over big routine changes but they've all been for the better so I just push on forward.

Your gut isn't your brain and it doesn't know poo poo, basically.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Someone in accounting pegged our internet circuit by using a web-based browser to monitor their home security cams: a multiplex view of 2 HD and 2 SD streams. I only found out there was a problem when I saw how slow web pages were loading. So... looks like I need add network monitoring to my to-do list.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Someone in accounting pegged our internet circuit by using a web-based browser to monitor their home security cams: a multiplex view of 2 HD and 2 SD streams. I only found out there was a problem when I saw how slow web pages were loading. So... looks like I need add network monitoring to my to-do list.

How insane do you have to be to have a need to monitor your household security cams while at work?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Your gut isn't your brain and it doesn't know poo poo, basically.

Actually if there's one thing your gut really does know...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I personally set our cisco asa to send to a netflow monitor. We currently use managed engines netflow and I like it. Its free for 2 interfaces. we also use managed engine opsmanager for all the other monitoring.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Maybe they wanted to know if a package had arrived?

Tracking numbers are often not very accurate.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dissss posted:

Yeah that kinda poo poo just isn't useful

DB server X is using 90% memory - duh that's what SQL has allocated to it

Report server Y has had the CPUs pegged for the past half hour - duh it's running a huge batch of reports, same as every other Monday
Yup yup - my first thought when they were like "SQL is using 80% memory" was that I could reply "Understood, I'll talk to the DBAs and find out why it's not 95%", but that's a round and round conversation I just don't need.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

How insane do you have to be to have a need to monitor your household security cams while at work?

Depends on how hot the nanny is.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dick Trauma posted:

I assume you blocked them and gave them a stern- bahahahaha. Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday one of our sites hit 60mbps on viewing streams from a security system. I don't know how or why, but I'm impressed.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I have a co-worker that has 4x SD streams from his house open on his workstation most of the time but he's a normal guy otherwise. I don't know how long he's had the system, but I wonder if the novelty of it hasn't worn off yet?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today I realize my resume had an extra word in it. Literally in the line about how great my written communication skills are. :( They really are, I swear. Just not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I was cleaning out some folders today and I stumbled upon some pictures of mine and other pictures supplied by this thread. For the people that haven't seen them, you are welcome. For everyone else, I hope you enjoy the trip back down memory lane.