Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wish Cortana had a separate volume setting. While driving, to comfortably hear Cortana it needs to be in the 25-30 range, whereas any music I want to listen to needs to be in the 15-25 range depending on speed of the vehicle. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm on Three in the UK - I have to pay for tethering separately if I want it and it's capped at 1GB, but my actual phone data is completely unlimited. I stream absolutely everything. :D

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
chromecast mobile data usage. someone help me on this as someone who is supposed to be able to explain this. is it mobile data or tethering data to screen mirror to a chromecast stick?

e: welp wrong thread but most of you have already gone Android already so...

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

I wish Cortana had a separate volume setting. While driving, to comfortably hear Cortana it needs to be in the 25-30 range, whereas any music I want to listen to needs to be in the 15-25 range depending on speed of the vehicle. :(

Seconded. I Bluetooth to my office phone at my desk and can't hear poo poo unless it is cranked. Then I need to turn it back down once I get blasted by YouTube or something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Bless you my son.

She is too drat quiet--I need to turn the volume up all the way for her, but then I forget to put it back down and then later BWWWWWAMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
My Lumia 820 seems to be getting worse - went from ~70% leaving work yesterday, to around 18% when I got home an hour later.

Still don't know whether to wait for the 640, or to leave the platform the second I see a cheap deal for something else decent. There was an offer on the Moto G for £89 the other day, which I've heard are probably the best choice if I want a cheap Android, but I think I would miss a lot of things about the platform.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I find that 1/30 volume is too loud on the phone speaker , but 15/30 volume is too quiet on Bluetooth or headset.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
Hi guys,

I am sorry to ask a dumb question, but I am looking at buying an unlocked Lumia 930, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it did LTE on Cricket/ATT in the US. I looked around and on the Amazon page it says it does not.

I read someplace ATT uses 1700/2300 other places I read ATT uses 700Mhz, 850Mhz, 1900Mhz and1700/2100Mhz. According to Wikipedia the 930 supports LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600.

Any idea if that would work?

Thanks in advance!

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

cixelsyd posted:

Hi guys,

I am sorry to ask a dumb question, but I am looking at buying an unlocked Lumia 930, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it did LTE on Cricket/ATT in the US. I looked around and on the Amazon page it says it does not.

I read someplace ATT uses 1700/2300 other places I read ATT uses 700Mhz, 850Mhz, 1900Mhz and1700/2100Mhz. According to Wikipedia the 930 supports LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600.

Any idea if that would work?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately no LTE on the 930 on ATT (or really any US bands). That and the lack of glance are the things that stopped me from getting one.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

The Lord Bude posted:

What sort of crazy data allowances do American phone companies offer that you guys can just stream music from OneDrive?

I get 5GB a month. Actually it's "unlimited" but everything after 5GB is throttled to EDGE speeds. My heaviest month has been like 3.2GB, and that was with me watching an awful lot of Netflix.

e: For the first time I saw another Windows Phone user in the wild today!

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 24, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TopherCStone posted:

I get 5GB a month. Actually it's "unlimited" but everything after 5GB is throttled to EDGE speeds. My heaviest month has been like 3.2GB, and that was with me watching an awful lot of Netflix.

e: For the first time I saw another Windows Phone user in the wild today!

In Australia if you go over your limit you get charged 5c-10c per mb - so It gets expensive very fast.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Unfortunately no LTE on the 930 on ATT (or really any US bands). That and the lack of glance are the things that stopped me from getting one.

Thanks Calvin. I guess I will have to wait for the next version that supports LTE. Very sad.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp. It was fun. Just ordered a Moto X. I'll keep my 630 around and keep an eye open to Windows 10, but I really just don't feel like MS is doing what it needs to to stay competitive in the market.

Think I'm going to give my old Samsung Focus a little Viking's Funeral.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Think I'm going to give my old Samsung Focus a little Viking's Funeral.

Put it on Youtube, while making it clear you switched to Google. Seems like the sort of thing that would resonate with the ninja cats at MS and maybe get a point across.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

LifeSizePotato posted:

Put it on Youtube, while making it clear you switched to Google. Seems like the sort of thing that would resonate with the ninja cats at MS and maybe get a point across.

This is incorrect. Nobody cares.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

And it looks like my 920 is going to be out of commission as a phone for good. It turns out that my hasty attempt to get the jammed SIM card tray out has damaged the SIM card contact pins on the phone.

Ended up taking the phone apart which was relatively painless (only needed a T3, T4, and T5 drive head and very little tape or glue to undo) and it turns out that the contact pins is in no way user serviceable or replaceable without replacing the main board.

In the foreground you can see the broken pins that I was able to recovery. Best thing I can think of to repair the pins is to solder on replacements though I don't know how feasible that'll be.

The 640 or 640 XL can't come out any sooner. In any case I'm glad to have my Sony Z3c on me though it too is in need of repair.

\/

Maneki Neko posted:

Boo, Microsoft was selling no contract 830s with a fitbit flex for $199, but that appears to be dead now. :(

That would have been another replacement I would have considered but screw paying for the 830 for full price.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 25, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

This is incorrect. Nobody cares.

Yeah. :smith:

VVV
I meant MS, too.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 25, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Well I meant Microsoft, not this thread. You should still film it and post it here, sounds funny.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boo, Microsoft was selling no contract 830s with a fitbit flex for $199, but that appears to be dead now. :(

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I got one because, hotsauce. I was actually going to get a fitbit for my wife so great. Returning this 635. It's infuriatingly slow even as a WiFi toy.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

That's a pretty good deal - having more than maybe 5 gigs a month is unheard of in Australia - I get 1.5 gigs for $75 a month - we certainly don't get data free streaming services either. I'd love to use pandora more often but I can't justify the data usage outside my own home wifi network.

$2 a day on Optus gets me 500mb of data; more than enough for 6+ hours of streaming

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nzspambot posted:

$2 a day on Optus gets me 500mb of data; more than enough for 6+ hours of streaming

Wait what? Do you get 4G speeds with that?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Factor Mystic, maybe my reading comprehension is just shot, but is there a way to get Harmony Music to play under the lock screen?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

Factor Mystic, maybe my reading comprehension is just shot, but is there a way to get Harmony Music to play under the lock screen?

I believe that's a strange bug that happens on some phones.
For me, when I was beta-testing it, it only happened when I was playing through the phone's speaker, rather than having headphones plugged in.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alternative pants posted:

That's why I had to give up on using the app :negative:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finally got my entire collection onto my OneDrive and I'd really rather use a goon made app than wait for Xbox music to poo poo out a semi-funtional streaming service. :smith:

e: Thanks!

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 27, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

As far as I can tell it's an intermittent and possibly WP platform issue for Universal/WinRT apps (silverlight apps not affected). It's not about playing under the lock screen or playing when the screen is off, that's a misinterpretation of what's happening. What it is, is that the background music task is suspended when the foreground task is suspended even though it should keep running (and most times works fine). I'd love for someone to confirm it was a bug in my code and that I could fix it, but I don't think that's going to happen. And I can never replicate the issue when debugging the app.

Here's what you can do if it happens: Use the task switcher (hold back button) to kill the app. Then start it again and start playing stuff. Now it should work.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've had the same problem with the official podcast app, so it's not just your app. With that it's even worse, I have to actively kill the podcast app, find another audio app like yours, start a song, then go back to the podcast app :suicide:

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Microsoft's R&D team is currently building a time machine to travel back to 2010 and learn the secrets of true multitasking.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Urgh, lost my phone (somewhere within a radius of my apt) suddenly feeling exposed and naked so need to replace stat.

I'm on T-mob US and live in NYC. What's my best bet for an immediate reasonably priced though possible for ever replacement? B&H, T-mob store? T-mob has http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/windows.html, B&H has http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Operating+System_Windows&ci=24039&N=3955685938+3955686098

Despite the gripes about WP I can't bear to go for a budget android, or even a legit flagship.

EDIT: needs LTE bands for TMob, obv. I had the 920 Rogers variant, and 1520 Mexican variant.

EDIT EDIT: B&H is Jewishly close on Saturdays, goddamnit.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I don't remember the relevant bands and the internet is awash with misinformation: is this one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074971-REG/nokia_0023n29_lumia_920_3_rm_821_unlocked.html) the Rogers variant witb TMob LTE? Is there any rationale to get a 920 in this day and age? $200 is still not cheap...

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Mr Funkface posted:

Urgh, lost my phone (somewhere within a radius of my apt) suddenly feeling exposed and naked so need to replace stat.

I'm on T-mob US and live in NYC. What's my best bet for an immediate reasonably priced though possible for ever replacement? B&H, T-mob store? T-mob has http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/windows.html, B&H has http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Operating+System_Windows&ci=24039&N=3955685938+3955686098

Despite the gripes about WP I can't bear to go for a budget android, or even a legit flagship.

EDIT: needs LTE bands for TMob, obv. I had the 920 Rogers variant, and 1520 Mexican variant.

EDIT EDIT: B&H is Jewishly close on Saturdays, goddamnit.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I don't remember the relevant bands and the internet is awash with misinformation: is this one the Rogers variant witb TMob LTE? Is there any rationale to get a 920 in this day and age? $200 is still not cheap...

I got a T-Mobile 925 on eBay for like $100.

In other news, Gabe confirms new Windows Phone 10 builds supporting more phones: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/27/a-quick-update-on-windows-10-builds-for-phones-for-windows-insiders/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In other news, Gabe confirms new Windows Phone 10 builds supporting more phones: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/27/a-quick-update-on-windows-10-builds-for-phones-for-windows-insiders/
[/quote]

This was pretty frustrating... I thought fast track on the insider meant we'd get fast Windows 10 updates but all I ever got was the first time tech preview. And while I understand its a tech preview, it was broken enough to get frustrated at the complete lack of updates.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

This was pretty frustrating... I thought fast track on the insider meant we'd get fast Windows 10 updates but all I ever got was the first time tech preview. And while I understand its a tech preview, it was broken enough to get frustrated at the complete lack of updates.
[/quote]

Seems like it's the same thing with the desktop builds; now they're starting to move faster. The downside is that you can expect even less stability.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TopherCStone posted:

Seems like it's the same thing with the desktop builds; now they're starting to move faster. The downside is that you can expect even less stability.

Well, if release is the next 3-6 months they gotta hustle. :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah they better do, I'm getting a bigger SSD and gonna switch from 7 to 10 on my desktop and I'd love to have 10 on my 925 aswell. As right now it's my backup phone, I don't mind testing out buggy stuff.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Wait what? Do you get 4G speeds with that?

yep; it's a auto-renewal daily thing so around 60 a month for unlimited calls,txt and 15Gb of data (500mb a day) works nicely for me (work pays for it)

And yes 4G (Running a Nexus 5)

And I say 6hours since I do a daily 1.5hr cycle and it uses around 100mb of data (Spotify)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nzspambot posted:

yep; it's a auto-renewal daily thing so around 60 a month for unlimited calls,txt and 15Gb of data (500mb a day) works nicely for me (work pays for it)

And yes 4G (Running a Nexus 5)

And I say 6hours since I do a daily 1.5hr cycle and it uses around 100mb of data (Spotify)

I looked it up - that actually seems like crazy good value compared to paying $70 for a gig and a half from telstra. That being said, telstra has always had the better network - do you get consistent 4G coverage and decent speeds on Optus? I have a friend on optus and he sometimes gets texts hours after I sent them, and he has to stand in his backyard to get reception, though that might just be his ancient phone.

I suppose you have to factor in the cost of buying a phone outright, but it might just be worth it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I suppose you have to factor in the cost of buying a phone outright, but it might just be worth it.

Wait, that doesn't even include a free phone? Right now I could get a 4G contract SIM with 600 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £22pm, ~$35pm. £25 if you drop from 12 months to 1 month rolling.

I'm not trying to rub it in, but good lord do you guys get shafted. :psyduck: And this is the UK, the land of 20% VAT.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wait, that doesn't even include a free phone? Right now I could get a 4G contract SIM with 600 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £22pm, ~$35pm. £25 if you drop from 12 months to 1 month rolling.

I'm not trying to rub it in, but good lord do you guys get shafted. :psyduck: And this is the UK, the land of 20% VAT.

His $2/day plan is prepaid, so no free phone. My $70 plan is on a 2 year contract, it also has a $5/month handset repayment for my lumia 930, so I pay $75 per month for $700 worth of calls (calls cost $99c per minute + 40c connection fee), unlimited texts and 1.5gb of data. (and I don't pay anything up front for the phone) There is definitely no such thing as unlimited data here. Even home internet connections have strict data caps - 5 years ago the norm was maybe 5-10gb; these days it's more like 50gb per month, but any three digit allowance costs a fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone know if a decent world clock app? My partner travels quite a bit for work, and it would be nice to have a decent world clock app so I know at a glance what her time is. I've seen mention in a couple of app descriptions that third party apps can only update a live tile every 15/30 minutes, which is obviously a bit less than ideal. In a perfect world, I'd like it on the lock screen if possible.

Will I just have to accept the limitations of a third party/inaccurate one, out does anyone else have a better solution?