Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

:stare:

I really don't know what to say, and let's leave it at that. Wrestling! I always thought it was something dumb for my little brother, but I guess people care about it. Spoony's videos are a bit intimidating, is there any guide or history to a newcomer?

E. watching the Landis video

If you REALLY wanna dig into Wrestling beyond the WWE, your first stop should be Ring Of Honor. http://www.rohwrestling.com/ They have a weekly TV show that has national syndication. If it's not on where you live you can watch it thursday on the website. They also have PPVs every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cyron posted:

I question EA releasing a fps game about cops after last year's events.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash, but I suppose that just shows how little a poo poo people give about the game.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash, but I suppose that just shows how little a poo poo people give about the game.
Or how much gamers give a poo poo about current events? :shrug:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Battlefield spin-offs don't get attention much in general. Much less one transparently attempting and failing to cash in on the success of Payday and Saints Row.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think there was a general feeling of EA being a bit tone-deaf during their conference but it's not like the developers saw the Ferguson situations and said "Let's make a game about that!!!" they just happened to be working on that stuff and that horrible situation happened. Besides that, it's a spin-off Battlefield game so people know if they're going to buy it or not. It won't matter in a month.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Or how much gamers give a poo poo about current events? :shrug:

You're just going to drop that in the official gamergate derail thread? I'm saying there hasn't been much media backlash, because of course, the only backlash you're going to get from gamers is when they cover up the boobies for the American release.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

I think there was a general feeling of EA being a bit tone-deaf during their conference but it's not like the developers saw the Ferguson situations and said "Let's make a game about that!!!" they just happened to be working on that stuff and that horrible situation happened. Besides that, it's a spin-off Battlefield game so people know if they're going to buy it or not. It won't matter in a month.

Yea people said 'really' when they had their big announce thing like just after the first riots and poo poo started and then it was like 'yea poo poo man what can we do' and it was revealed it was more like a tv show than a GRITTY COP STORY ABOUT REAL AMERICAN HEROES TAKING DOWN SCUMBAGS WITH SHOTGUNS AND GRENADES and the reaction turned to 'ok, looks like BF4' and no one gives a poo poo now at all.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

achillesforever6 posted:

I bet Lupa would like this one since it has a Cynthia Rothrock movie

Cynthia Rothrock and Richard “Gordon the Ninja” Harrison!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea people said 'really' when they had their big announce thing like just after the first riots and poo poo started and then it was like 'yea poo poo man what can we do' and it was revealed it was more like a tv show than a GRITTY COP STORY ABOUT REAL AMERICAN HEROES TAKING DOWN SCUMBAGS WITH SHOTGUNS AND GRENADES and the reaction turned to 'ok, looks like BF4' and no one gives a poo poo now at all.

Yeah, I have a feeling if they went a more realistic route like SWAT 4 or actually made you a beat cop it may have raised some eyebrows. It's just so over the top and absurd that I can't even be bothered to think about any real world implications or parallels. I honestly sort of wish they had done something controversial. Not that I think it would have been good per se but it would have at least been interesting.

On a different note someone really needs to make a bottle_toss.gif from the latest Best of the Worst because that's the best thing next to pizza toss from Breaking Bad :allears:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZDVr3mZzg
AngryJoe does not like Battlefield Hardline. So how long before EA shitcans Visceral?

If they're willing to close Maxis of all studios then Visceral isn't long on life.

Can't wait to see how they gently caress up Battlefront 3, a game that is all but assured to print them money regardless of how they gently caress it up.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

BigRed0427 posted:

If you REALLY wanna dig into Wrestling beyond the WWE, your first stop should be Ring Of Honor. http://www.rohwrestling.com/ They have a weekly TV show that has national syndication. If it's not on where you live you can watch it thursday on the website. They also have PPVs every now and then.

ROH is really marketed towards a person who has already been watching wrestling for years though. It seems like you kind of need some smarky background to get it. Maybe not though. I'd recommend Lucha Underground to a new wrestling viewer since it's so new itself, and it's structured like a TV show, not a fake sports show. It's still early so you can jump in from the beginning. It's got a lot of goofy supernatural stuff and the arena is called "the temple" and the belt is made of aztec gold.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
One huge upside to Lucha Underground is that it's an hour long show. No three hour RAWs or bullshit like that. It's a lot easier to fit into your schedule and it really is nice that it's a new show as well. Some stuff is lower budget obviously but it's just so much more fun to watch than the WWE is right now.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Three hour RAW is loving absurd and anybody with sense should know that. Unless you're making a Sherlock or a Wallander, where a season of the show is more like a collection of shortish TV movies, no episodic television program should clock in over an hour. Period.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DStecks posted:

Three hour RAW is loving absurd and anybody with sense should know that. Unless you're making a Sherlock or a Wallander, where a season of the show is more like a collection of shortish TV movies, no episodic television program should clock in over an hour. Period.

2 hour shows were pretty good for a long rear end time. Gives enough time for everyone to get their stories on track AND have matches. Wrestling is different from a normal episodic show in that you still need to have the actual 'sport' occur as well.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

2 hour shows were pretty good for a long rear end time. Gives enough time for everyone to get their stories on track AND have matches. Wrestling is different from a normal episodic show in that you still need to have the actual 'sport' occur as well.

Does everybody have to wrestle every week, though? One of the reasons I stopped watching wrestling was that WWE just cannot come up with enough material for every angle to be developed every week in a meaningful way, so it just devolved into 2 and a half hours of the mid-carders trading wins, sandwiched with Triple H promos and a main event that would maybe set something up, maybe.

All I'm saying is that 3 hour RAW means a Christopher Nolan movie every single week. To call that a herculean writing challenge would be understating it, and it's not a challenge that WWE's completely top-down every-word-scripted writing style can handle with any level of quality.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DStecks posted:

Does everybody have to wrestle every week, though? One of the reasons I stopped watching wrestling was that WWE just cannot come up with enough material for every angle to be developed every week in a meaningful way, so it just devolved into 2 and a half hours of the mid-carders trading wins, sandwiched with Triple H promos and a main event that would maybe set something up, maybe.

All I'm saying is that 3 hour RAW means a Christopher Nolan movie every single week. To call that a herculean writing challenge would be understating it, and it's not a challenge that WWE's completely top-down every-word-scripted writing style can handle with any level of quality.

I'm totally agreeing that three hour RAWs are insane and should get cut down to two, or if they legally obligated to fill that hour due to contract poo poo or whatever, fill it with NXT guys and gals. A two hour show is the ideal as, with good writers, it'd be easy to fill with everyone's stories, matches etc.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You can't really compare an episode of a tv series to a live event.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DStecks posted:

The amazing thing is you can't really blame WWE on this for once because they were actually forced to go 3 hours long by USA. They hate the show being three hours because they can't write a three hour show because by the time Monday comes along, Vince just rips up the script 5 hours before show time and they have to rewrite it from scratch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

The amazing thing is you can't really blame WWE on this for once because they were actually forced to go 3 hours long by USA. They hate the show being three hours because they can't write a three hour show because by the time Monday comes along, Vince just rips up the script 5 hours before show time and they have to rewrite it from scratch.

Ah, the WCW strategy. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tracula posted:

On a different note someone really needs to make a bottle_toss.gif from the latest Best of the Worst because that's the best thing next to pizza toss from Breaking Bad :allears:

It cracked me up reading last week that Vince Gilligan had to plead to BB fans not to go to the actual Walter White house and throw pizzas on the roof anymore. Apparently that's become a thing there for fans.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It cracked me up reading last week that Vince Gilligan had to plead to BB fans not to go to the actual Walter White house and throw pizzas on the roof anymore. Apparently that's become a thing there for fans.

"You want to throw a pizza on my roof? Sure, $10 bucks a slice kid." :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh thank Christ, a new Best of the Worst, save us from this, Rich Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTaoheLMvM
I love the stealthily hidden Rich Evans doll and the Reagan photo on a stick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, the WCW strategy. :v:

Speaking of which, I'm about halfway through that book now, and goddamn is it amazing. :allears:

Edit: I'd pay good money to see Spoony do his own version of it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't think I saw it here, but Linkara posted a new History of Power Rangers set of videos. I think it's interesting to see where that show went after I stopped watching it as a kid, and in particular the season Linkara talks about this time seems pretty different and neat.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think I saw it here, but Linkara posted a new History of Power Rangers set of videos. I think it's interesting to see where that show went after I stopped watching it as a kid, and in particular the season Linkara talks about this time seems pretty different and neat.

Here's the link. For the record, I haven't watched them yet.

You know, I appreciate the effort he puts into these, but good God they are way, way longer than they need to be. This most recent set clocks in at a full two hours, and if past episodes are anything to go by, it's pretty much just 100% straight plot summary. Every now and then there's an interesting anecdote or two behind-the-scenes, and with a title like "History of Power Rangers" I was really hoping he would go more into the production side of things. How were they made? How did the cast them? How did the writers deal the fact that they had no control over almost half the footage? There are probably a lot of good stories there, and I don't really give a poo poo which plastic weapon the Red Ranger killed Rubber Monster #2976 with, which is honestly all this series is.

It doesn't help that Linkara's voice can get really grating after a while.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 25, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Here's the link. For the record, I haven't watched them yet.

You know, I appreciate the effort he puts into these, but good God they are way, way longer than they need to be. This most recent set clocks in at a full two hours, and if past episodes are anything to go by, it's pretty much just 100% straight plot summary. Every now and then there's an interesting anecdote or two behind-the-scenes, and with a title like "History of Power Rangers" I was really hoping he would go more into the production side of things. How were they made? How did the cast them? How did the writers deal the fact that they had no control over almost half the footage? There are probably a lot of good stories there, and I don't really give a poo poo which plastic weapon the Red Ranger killed Rubber Monster #2976 with, which is honestly all this series is.

It doesn't help that Linkara's voice can get really grating after a while.

I watched it and he goes into detail the various behind the scenes situations that popped up. He even says that despite all the problems and the Sentai footage, this season proves that miracles exist.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Comment on the new Best of the Worst:

I'm struggling to recall any moment in this video where they acted like "sjws" other than saying that Cynthia Rothrock portrayed a strong female character in the movie.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Mischalaniouse posted:

I'm struggling to recall any moment in this video where they acted like "sjws" other than saying that Cynthia Rothrock portrayed a strong female character in the movie.

Quit being an SJW.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hey Junkfist, someone else from Hellthread linked your post and told me this was the new thread you were trolling. Is this true? Are you just trolling for a reaction here? Are you trying to take your hellthread persona into a different forum like Fluo did in D&D Chat?

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Mischalaniouse posted:

Mike: 'Not to get politically correct here, but sexism is a thing that exists'
ergo :pseudo:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
"Sexism exists and rape jokes are deplorable." ~ gently caress bot 5000

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
This is such an odd thread.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mischalaniouse posted:

Acknowledging sexist cultural attitudes towards females in movies is as good a reason as any to call someone an sjw

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The other day I remembered people saying in this thread that, for Americans, revenue from doing internet reviews has a crazy high taxation rate (30% IIRC), because American tax law considers it freelance work. And the flip side of that occurred to me: for any reviewers here, have you ever tried/been able to claim any of your video-making expenses as business costs on your taxes? Because it seems like that would be something completely legitimate but not obvious to do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I know Linkara writes off some of his expenses.

The main issue with the taxes, from my understanding, is that it isn't considered freelance work, but as self-employment, and self-employed people pay ridiculous amounts into I wanna say Medicare? Or Social Security or something. They have to pay like double their usual tax-bracket.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Self-employed people pay taxes as a business would. So they end up paying at the maximum possible tax bracket in the US most of the time. So equal to what people who make 400k+ a year pay, and yes sadly that is the highest income bracket in the US.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PresidentBeard posted:

Self-employed people pay taxes as a business would. So they end up paying at the maximum possible tax bracket in the US most of the time. So equal to what people who make 400k+ a year pay, and yes sadly that is the highest income bracket in the US.

Incorrect. They pay taxes based on their income just like everyone else. They do have to pick up the matching percentages that their employer normally would for Social Security and Medicare. Additionally you can write off any expenses you incured for creating your internet videos. Including percentages of rent and utilities.

If they were to incorporate their channel, then that corporation would be subject to business taxes which would vary depending on location. Otherwise they file as 1099 same as someone contracting or freelancing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Okay my bad, must have got something confused.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The main issue with self-employment anywhere is that you have to both pay the normal and employers part of taxes.
Writing off a lot of your expenses as a deductible is pretty broad if I understood it correctly. Anyway Lindsey made a good video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO56WtEv4eE

Like I said before though 30% pre-deductables is a normal, low-end taxrange here; we top out at ~52% in the highest bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Those are... extremely high rates. So does that mean you pretty much to set aside 30% of your income each paycheck to hand over to taxman the following year?

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 25, 2015

• Locked thread