Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Jonny 290 posted:

Didnt even know those existed for RVs! Neat. thanks now I got another thing on my wishlist

Just be careful.

What makes them heat up water fast, also causes them to freeze very quickly and break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

2015 Camper do list.

Buy a spare tire. I haven't done this yet. I suppose it should be my first priority.

Fix the Door. The door sags and generally doesn't stay latched. I'm considering just replacing the whole thing.

Raise the suspension. Perhaps about 2 inches to more closely match the ride height of my wrangler.

Finish sealing the exterior. Again.

Finish painting the interior. There are some spots I never quite got to.

Figure out a TV/Monitor mount for the interior. I'm planning on mounting a flat screen to one of the interior walls.

Test the LP system. The camper has a cool propane cooktop but I'd like to have the system tested for leaks before I start using it.

Finish building the cushions for the dining area/ fold out bed. I've got all the materials to make them but haven't got around to it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hokaaaaaay.

Sled deck or flat deck conversion... Thoughts ? Box is 8'2" currently. I need a way to fit a 120" UTV or 2 ATV's/Snowmobiles

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
The snow is gone and now it's time to open up my camper for the season.

The tarp I used to cover my rolling loaf took its toll on the cheap paint I used. I'll have to touch it up.

The ceiling settled a little and it's fairly obvious that I need to add another coat of paint to the inside but otherwise, it held up nicely.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my gosh i would sip coffee out of a tin cup while hanging out in there and listening to old country music on the radio

:D

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

You did a really good job on that camper.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Aww thanks. I've got a laundry list of stuff to do but in that sense it's no different than my dumb cars.

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my gosh i would sip coffee out of a tin cup while hanging out in there and listening to old country music on the radio

:D

I still need to get a coffee maker for it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sandbagger SA posted:

I still need to get a coffee maker for it.

I think the only proper way to make coffee in that camper would be via percolator on that stove.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think the only proper way to make coffee in that camper would be via percolator on that stove.

Then I should probably get my propane cook top working.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Moka pot's a nice update of the classic percolator if you want to snob a bit. We've used ours every day for the past six months. Neat gadget.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sandbagger SA posted:

Then I should probably get my propane cook top working.

Motivation!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Casualties of Cool would be the perfect album for that camper.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

A couple of years ago I bought this '94 Toyota Spacia (mid 80's Toyota Van underneath) in excellent condition for too much money. I pulled the back seats out of it and didn't do much else until late last year when this started:

Then I did this:

I made it from Perth, Western Australia to Hobart, Tasmania then blew out a lumbar disc again. I had a couple of vertebrae fused a month ago so it's keeping me out of that confined space. I'm not even allowed to drive until the neurosurgeon says so!

Before I left home I got rid of almost all my possessions. After driving 4500km in two weeks I'm pretty sure I could throw away half of what I took with me. Living in such a small space wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be, it just meant being anal about putting things in their places and planning ahead for normal, everyday tasks.

If I was to do this again, I would choose a larger vehicle that is more box shaped. The curves and angles on this one make it difficult to fix things to the inside.

Togaparty27 posted:

Does anyone have a good solar setup that I could build. I'm thinking I will need around 200-300 watts.

I spent ages figuring this part out. I ended up with a 200W 24v panel, a 15 amp MPPT charge controller, a 110Ah 12v AGM battery and a voltage sensing relay to connect the two batteries or not. When the sun is overhead, this system will put out 10 amps at 13.8 volts! My load was a couple of tiny LEDs, a 12" PC case fan, laptop charger, a pretty big stereo and a eutectic fridge. I put in a BMS as well. With all this my house battery never drops below about 90% charge so I should get heaps of cycles out of it. If I did it again I would probably go with a 50Ah LiPo instead of the lead acid. They're much lighter and smaller, even though the technology was a little immature when I built it.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 30, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Your pictures are great, as is your dog.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Hey just wanted to reply to this thread and say I love the Sero Scotty rebuild!

The one I got for free was too far gone so it got turned into a cargo hauler which makes me very sad, they are so cool...

Started out like this, even the dogs were apprehensive

Started stripping

Now it has a pressure treated wood deck on it, at some point I'd like to make it into a teardrop

(that's an outhouse)

Hauling building materials

Hell yes campers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell, not even so much "make it into a teardrop" as "build a teardrop you can plop on top of it for camping weekend" to keep it useful as a utility trailer

couple of ratchet straps or 2 dudes and you can just lift one of those right on

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

People make teardrops out off blue insulation foam, canvas, titebond glue and paint, total weight can be under 200lbs for a fitted shell.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmmmmmmmmm

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...gationFlag=true

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sandbagger SA posted:

The snow is gone and now it's time to open up my camper for the season.

The tarp I used to cover my rolling loaf took its toll on the cheap paint I used. I'll have to touch it up.

The ceiling settled a little and it's fairly obvious that I need to add another coat of paint to the inside but otherwise, it held up nicely.

now all you need is a poodle and you'll be ready to see america

Are you sure that van's rated to tow that

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 3, 2015

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
It's fine if I keep my speed below 40km/h.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I always loved those goofy Toyota vans, though the ones sold in the US had a much uglier front clip

The principal of my high school owned one, and it often got drafted into duty for field trips when their 18 passenger Dodge van wasn't enough (it was a tiny school...)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

I always loved those goofy Toyota vans, though the ones sold in the US had a much uglier front clip

The principal of my high school owned one, and it often got drafted into duty for field trips when their 18 passenger Dodge van wasn't enough (it was a tiny school...)

Waldo's van is smaller than that one. His was based off the Toyo Ace, which was never sold in the US.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

You Am I posted:

Waldo's van is smaller than that one. His was based off the Toyo Ace, which was never sold in the US.

I don't know what you're basing this on, Waldo's van is absolutely the same as what we got in the US. We got the LiteAce here as the Toyota Van, but they stopped selling it in 91. Waldo's is simply a rebodied (more a refresh really) LiteAce that was sold as the Spacia in the Australian market. They are the exact same chassis underneath.

That's also why his has a nicer looking front end then the US spec; it's just newer.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 3, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The Ringbrothers picked up an old Brave and did awesome things to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wap2wpjVHC0

Also linked off an article about that one I found this: http://www.hotrod.com/news/1505-craigslist-excellence-twin-turbo-440-dodge-apollo-rv/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Opinions please!

I've narrowed down my search to these two

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1081229113

or this http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1080463069

I wish they had slideouts...

I wonder if there is a better deal stateside or maybe at the auctions. Paging Powershift

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They delete the pics so it's hard to get an idea of quality, but looking through michener's recent results

2014 Nitro XLR 30ft TA BP Toy Hauler1 awning, 1 slide, 2 entries, $20,000
2008 Keystone Fusion 373 37ft Triaxle FW Toy Hauler, 3 slides $25750

I really don't pay attention to these, as they're not my thing, so i don't know if the smaller ones go cheaper, but That nitro retails for about $33k

Stateside we're getting hosed by the exchange good and hard.

If you've got cash in hand, the ritchie bros sale in GP is in 3 days, watch these and you might be surprised, although you would give up the truck space

https://www.rbauction.com/2011-CYCLONE-3612HD-36-Ft-Toy-Hauler?invId=4601647&id=ci&auction=GRANDE-PRAIRIE-AB-2015166
https://www.rbauction.com/2005-KZ-NEW-VISION-37K-37-Ft-TA-Fifth-Wheel-Toy-Hauler?invId=4566684&id=ci&auction=GRANDE-PRAIRIE-AB-2015166

the second one has an onan genset.

e: https://www.rbauction.com/2008-VORTEX-FEATHERLIGHT-26FS-TA-Toy-Hauler?invId=4100134&id=ar&auction=CHILLIWACK-BC-2014260

this looks identical to your first choice, and went for $6k less.

https://www.rbauction.com/2010-GULF-STREAM-MATRIX-27MTT-27-Ft-TA-Toy-Hauler-UNUSED?invId=4025805&id=ar&auction=GRANDE-PRAIRIE-AB-2014269
an unused 2010 went for $16,500.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 23, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice. Forgot about the RB. I saw the yard full the other day. I'll browse the ads in the morning once I get back to camp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

See? 15 grand for a 37 foot with 3 slides and a 5.5kw genset.

https://www.rbauction.com/2005-KZ-NEW-VISION-37K-37-Ft-T-A-Fifth-Wheel-Toy-Hauler?invId=4566684&id=ci&auction=GRANDE-PRAIRIE-AB-2015166

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Someone got a deal. What is the premium on those selling prices?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Camper update:

My mom and I started work on the new cushions for the front seating area/fold out bunk.

I picked up some fabric and foam pieces to make the cushions. We ended up doing a 3 piece boxing design for the cases. The first cover came out a little too small.

Catte was not helpful.

The door was beginning to sag and was rotten so I pulled it and replaced it using a door my dad and I fabricated from of all things: composite decking.

The stuff is ridiculously hard and somewhat impervious to weather.

The spare tire size I need is 195/75D14 with 5x4.5 rims

^ First time using the rolling loaf at an actual camp ground with hookups.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 4, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Update: I managed to average 16 mpg on the way back hauling the Scotsman.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I finally added a 2nd coat of paint to the interior of the loaf and then installed a pretty swank bluetooth speaker bar.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My parents just got a new toy:

They enjoy luxuries while camping and riding.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angryhampster posted:

That's a nice unit. I'd like to pull the trigger on something like that but the footprint is too large for most of the places I like to camp. That's why I'm limited to bumper pull to keep the roofline down out of the branches and a 30' length

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Sandbagger SA posted:

I finally added a 2nd coat of paint to the interior of the loaf and then installed a pretty swank bluetooth speaker bar.

I would love to have one of these to fart around in, but I doubt I would fit very well inside.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

angryhampster posted:

How much does something like that cost?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dick Trauma posted:

In America that one is likely $55k to $75k. The nicest one I have been in is a Jayco Seismic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwUE5qpGSg

The garage door levels and handrails pop up as a rear patio. On the side is another raised patio with guard rails, TV, sound and light system and cooler/bar. Also dual washrooms. One being a shower in the garage.

Pay attention to 3m:15s of that video

I'm all for enjoyable peace and quiet but I imagine some pretty cool lake parties with drunk 22 year old easily impressed females on that deck.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 5, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Theirs is a 2011 model. It was around the $40,000 mark if I recall correctly.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

I would love to have one of these to fart around in, but I doubt I would fit very well inside.

It's definitely not very large but it's surprisingly roomy if you're not :btroll:

Edit: you fit in a Comanche, you'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FYI retro styled trailers are a thing now. Think "pro touring" for trailers

• Locked thread