Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gruknor posted:

I guess that is what FFXI has become, taking pictures of your giant pen. How is the Quetzalcoatl server? I left it when it was afk city as far as the eyes could see.

Come to Asura, friend. People exist there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

Come to Asura, friend. People exist there.

I am on Asura, my main character's name is Joobacca.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gruknor posted:

I am on Asura, my main character's name is Joobacca.

Oh, thought you meant you were still on Quetz. My bad.

My Friend Radio
Nov 6, 2003
Clichéd
Are there any reasonable fishing bots these days? A few years ago that's how I made most of my money - idling moat carp overnight. Similarly with raising enhancing and/or summoning and/or healing magic skill - with spellcast being excluded from current windower builds, is there any automated way to ignore that tedium?

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

My Friend Radio posted:

Are there any reasonable fishing bots these days? A few years ago that's how I made most of my money - idling moat carp overnight. Similarly with raising enhancing and/or summoning and/or healing magic skill - with spellcast being excluded from current windower builds, is there any automated way to ignore that tedium?

This is a good site to find stuff like that: http://www.ffevo.net/files/category/19-ffxi/?dosort=1&sort_key=file_updated&sort_order=desc

Otherwise, I'm told there's nowhere near as much money in fishing anymore.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Here's a GearSwap script for spamming a spell:

pre:
function precast(spell)
    if spell.name == 'Protect' then
        send_command('wait 6;input /ma "Protect" <t>')
        return
    end
end
You're not going to make much money off of moat carp. Around 100k a day at best. You can make more than that off of Haks, and no one seems to even bother with that anymore.

My Friend Radio
Nov 6, 2003
Clichéd
I don't even know what "Haks" means. I also don't have a job above 80, nor have I bought Abyssea (or Adoulin) yet. How should I mine for fish, to pay for my BLM spells?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Haks are Hauryu fish. They used to sell for 10k each to NPCs so it was crazy money. Now they've been nerfed to hell and just isn't worth it, especially if you aren't already capped fishing. To reel them in reliably you need the proper gear, which is a huge timesink (and can cost a ton for Ebisu rod if you are unlucky).

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/46512

Update teaser. Mostly known, only suprise to me is that they are changing tiamat. Making him a pop nm?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

frodnonnag posted:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/46512

Update teaser. Mostly known, only suprise to me is that they are changing tiamat. Making him a pop nm?

Oh, RDMs finally get red lotus blade?

I like the "adding timers to UI" thing for all timed SOA events.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Haks are Hauryu fish. They used to sell for 10k each to NPCs so it was crazy money. Now they've been nerfed to hell and just isn't worth it, especially if you aren't already capped fishing. To reel them in reliably you need the proper gear, which is a huge timesink (and can cost a ton for Ebisu rod if you are unlucky).

I've got ebisu, but I never got to farm Haks. I feel like it was a total waste. I don't even know how to make any profit, now.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Zero The Hero posted:

I've got ebisu, but I never got to farm Haks. I feel like it was a total waste. I don't even know how to make any profit, now.

You can still afk fish to make some gil on the side. It is not an easy million a day, but it will help pay for teleport costs, food, and medicines. 50k sparks is about 500k gil.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

I still fondly remember the weeks of incessant whining from jamie when one of the three wouldn't spawn. Was almost worth the cost of the mythic right there. Bonus round was his bitching over doing pld sword trials.
Gulool was FFXI to the max. 3 weeks of sitting in a dumb gay room was literally the worst thing.

Atonement killshots weren't too horrible, beyond Atonement being a horrible damage WS.

Throwing the towel in on FFXI was long overdue.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

LiquidFriend posted:

We all know that deep down, you miss it. :downs:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Gulool was FFXI to the max. 3 weeks of sitting in a dumb gay room was literally the worst thing.

Atonement killshots weren't too horrible, beyond Atonement being a horrible damage WS.

So when are you reclaiming jamie and giving me the account to use as a mule, or coming back for more emotional abuse.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

LiquidFriend posted:

Hah, I did an imperial heist in 3 days. I clipped through the gates.

Gurfurlur was the worst, only because when I went down there the first time, the trolls went on beseiged just as I was getting to the doors. He popped a few hours later.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gruknor posted:

You can still afk fish to make some gil on the side. It is not an easy million a day, but it will help pay for teleport costs, food, and medicines. 50k sparks is about 500k gil.

How do you turn Sparks into Gil?

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
Buying skillbooks and selling them is the current favorite for sparks to Gil conversion. I think they are running 30k a stack.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Hah, I did an imperial heist in 3 days. I clipped through the gates.

Gurfurlur was the worst, only because when I went down there the first time, the trolls went on beseiged just as I was getting to the doors. He popped a few hours later.

They were still bugged when I got the titles.

Valle posted:

We all know that deep down, you miss it. :downs:

Yes and no. I've missed this terrible game a little, but not enough to reroll yet another fresh character for a game that won't be updated after November, or to pay 12.95 a month for no new content.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 25, 2015

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

LiquidFriend posted:

I've missed this terrible game a little, but not enough to reroll yet another fresh character for a game that won't be updated after November, or to pay 12.95 a month for no new content.

And then there's the possibility that they'll charge nothing after that point. Given the game's track record, I don't see it happening though.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Awesome OClock posted:

And then there's the possibility that they'll charge nothing after that point. Given the game's track record, I don't see it happening though.

The S-E mindset seems to be no freemium. They should at least cut the monthly fee in half.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

LiquidFriend posted:

The S-E mindset seems to be no freemium. They should at least cut the monthly fee in half.

I love FFXI and I had a ton of fun playing it back in the day, but there is no way in hell that it is still worth $13 a month. It hasn't been for a long time.

Weren't Everquest subs like, $2 a month 5 years ago?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Not gonna lie, if I could pay a couple bucks extra a month for a FFXI/FFXIV all-access subscription, I'd jump on that and mess around in Vana'diel some more.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

DizzyBum posted:

Not gonna lie, if I could pay a couple bucks extra a month for a FFXI/FFXIV all-access subscription, I'd jump on that and mess around in Vana'diel some more.

Even if it's $5 on top on a ffxiv sub, I think that it would be worth it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

DizzyBum posted:

I was happy with that option when the OG FFXIV was running, and it was a bummer when it didn't come back with A Realm Reborn.

If they brought that back, I'd have two games to log in to, stare at for two seconds, and then immediately log out of every once in a while.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love FFXI and I had a ton of fun playing it back in the day, but there is no way in hell that it is still worth $13 a month. It hasn't been for a long time.

Weren't Everquest subs like, $2 a month 5 years ago?

Its been free for quite some time. I usually jump on in anniversary months and dick around with fableds.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Its been free for quite some time. I usually jump on in anniversary months and dick around with fableds.

I'll follow their twitter and sometimes they'll make it free for a week or two and I may hop on when I see them tweet that

Is it like..... permanent now?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'll follow their twitter and sometimes they'll make it free for a week or two and I may hop on when I see them tweet that

Is it like..... permanent now?

It's quite fremium, has been for like 4-5 years

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Awesome OClock posted:

Even if it's $5 on top on a ffxiv sub, I think that it would be worth it.

A bunch of people have the $9.99 FFXIV sub fee grandfathered in because they had an active XI sub at the time. Adding a $5 FFXI sub would bring it to the same price as what others pay, and I'd gladly do that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In today's update, we'll be rolling back some of the insane damage from dagger weapon skills and finding new ways to make up for it. One of our ideas is to increase skillchain and magic burst damage! We've worked on a new Red Mage spell called "Ardor" that will increase the damage from skillchains! Please look forward to it!

*Ardor will not actually be released with this update

Oh SE.:allears:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Was dagger WS actually that huge? I played during Abyssea, so I don't know how it is now.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
Rudras storm damage typically was in the 20k range so yeah, a bit extreme.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Does anyone* actually intentionally skillchain or burst or is it still completely accidental?

*on this side of the pacific

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Does anyone* actually intentionally skillchain or burst or is it still completely accidental?

*on this side of the pacific

Outside of selfchains, nope.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

And considering RDMs can't self chain/burst and ardor is higher than 49, it'll be the least used spell since aquaveil.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not really that miffed about it, but I do find it all hilarious.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

rdm empy job ingredient is the lanternfish lantern from abyssea, set name literally means lazy. I'm for it.

Also looking forward to running around with a hair stylist trust.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Must already be November for the proofreaders

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

And considering RDMs can't self chain/burst and ardor is higher than 49, it'll be the least used spell since aquaveil.

People don't use aquaveil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Soup posted:

People don't use aquaveil?
It saved my rear end a lot when I would solo on a mage job.