Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

sausage eyes posted:

There is a bit of bile and rage. Congratulations it is just for you and other poo poo, privileged Australians who are all show and no grow. Every time someone asks you a question, shift the goalpost, insult and move away. Any insult is a reflection of the opponent. Any fact is just another reason to pretend that evidence does not lead to conclusions.

Bullying culture writ large in a bores outfit with a wanker hat on. Nothing daring, nothing interesting...obfuscation, purposeful ignorance, displacement and boorish, inept analysis. One of many in a long line of farts from long dead rich white men.
I made you sad because I refuse to agree with you in every way? So now all you have left is abuse. You are angry that I paid the same money to access this forum and I am here. Angry that I get the same vote in elections and probably don't vote like you. You are just angry. I don't demand people answer my questions, I can take opinions as they are. However, you take it personally don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Completely OT but I'd be interested in any follow up thoughts you had on you power privatization piece.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

chaos rhames posted:

Nobody's really explained or done anything about the onion thing. We've all just sort of accepted it in stride.

He did it twice and one can only assume the second time was a deliberate attempt by Abbott to try and show he's in on the joke but seriously what the gently caress.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Good news everyone

quote:

Next Quadrant dinner: Wednesday, April 1
Union, University and Schools Club, Sydney

Guest speaker: John O’Sullivan, the new editor of Quadrant

Australian columnists criticize PM Tony Abbott for giving a speech on national security in front of an array of Australian flags. A Labour front-bencher in the UK has to resign when she tweets a photograph of a white van parked outside a terrace house festooned with the St. George’s flag of England — van and flags being symbols among the elite for vulgar jingoism and the white working class respectively. Tory politicians and journalists in the UK start denouncing the vulgar jingoism of UKIP on the grounds that “we English don’t go in for that sort of thing.”

All these particular episodes — and they could multiplied many times over — suggest that patriotism and the flag are now contested issues in the national politics of the Anglosphere, the United States, and continental Europe. National and transnational elites and their allies in ethnic lobbies dislike traditional patriotism and strive in several ways to replace it with a new patriotism suitable to multicultural polities or multi-national global bodies. Young Muslims in the West feel that they lack an identity requiring pride and commitment and so are vulnerable to the appeal of a jihadist identity.

John O’Sullivan is a former advisor to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, and the author of The President, the Pope and the Prime Minister on how she, Ronald Reagan, and John Paul II brought down communism.

Venue: Union, University and Schools Club, 25 Bent Street, Sydney
Date and Time: Wednesday, April 1
Drinks 6pm–7pm; dinner from 7pm
Cost: $84 per person.
Dress: Jacket and tie

Be sure to book at http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/whats-on/2015/03/evening-john-osullivan/

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I actually enjoy raw onion.

I mean, I wouldn't take a giant bite out of one with the skin still on.

But raw onion is great.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

chaos rhames posted:

Nobody's really explained or done anything about the onion thing. We've all just sort of accepted it in stride.

I think its just a bit too awkward for anyone to really know what to do with, which has lead to most people to just trying to forget it ever happened.

So I think its not so much that people have accepted it, more just not bothered dealing with it at, and an 'ignore it, he'll be gone soon', sort of way.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Endman posted:

But raw onion is great.

I side with Endman. Purple Onion is best Onion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Someday, Aliens will find the signal which contains Abbott eating an Onion, then decide the fate of the Earth.
More than likely they will just take him back to his home planet.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Endman posted:

But raw onion is great.
:siren: Anecdote :siren:

A mate of mine used to have a fish and chip shop. Apparently the secret to success is to just keep cooking some onion. Humans are drawn to the smell like moths to the flame.

Unlikely to work for brain damaged PMs but the human lust for onion runs deep.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Graic Gabtar posted:

A mate of mine used to have a fish and chip shop.

This makes sense

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Anidav posted:

Someday, Aliens will find the signal which contains Abbott eating an Onion, then decide the fate of the Earth.

I just hope its the onion that they come across and not your posting.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The stuff they serve isn't fit to be called coffee, it'd make for decent drain cleaner though.

homebrew posted:

I just hope its the onion that they come across and not your posting.

They'll offer him an unpaid trial probing and vivisection.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Graic Gabtar posted:

A mate of mine used to have a fish and chip shop. Apparently the secret to success is to just keep cooking some onion. Humans are drawn to the smell like moths to the flame.

Unlikely to work for brain damaged PMs but the human lust for onion runs deep.

garlic has a similar effect for a lot of people.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

John O’Sullivan is a former advisor to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher

What was his advice on covering for paedophiles?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

I side with Endman. Purple Onion is best Onion.

Chunks of raw purple onions getting chucked into random food to make it look fancy is the shittest innovation of the 21st century and you should feel bad.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014

my stepdads beer posted:

What's the rules on unions in workplaces? Can a better union than the SDA start up in the same workplaces?

In our IR system, employees have the right to represent themselves in bargaining (even when a collective agreement is being negotiated), nominate a representative to bargain for them or become a member of a trade union and via that membership appoint a trade union to bargain for them - called, handily enough, representational rights.

Most of the coverage rules are contained in Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009 but essentially they are a product of history and they sometimes shift because of disputes between unions that most commonly arise on multi-union sites. Relevant example here is SDA v NUW at the Woolies distribution centre in Brisbane in 2012. SDA applied to FWC for an order for exclusive representation ie they wanted to kick NUW out. SDA's application was dismissed and both unions operated on the site.

Unions will also sometimes agree on site or employer specific coverage 'tweaks' where it makes sense ie if you have a site that's got 1000+ employees on it and the vast majority are covered by one Union, it generally makes more sense for the handful of other workers to also come under that union's coverage.

'Better' unions starting up on a site is one of the selling points Torys use when trying to get people to swallow the idea of competitive unionism. It would be very bad for workers if competitive unionism was allowed.

To answer another question about voting, the SDA has essentially agreed with the peak retail busines council in South Australia a template approach to erode penalty rates in workplaces. Technically there is no Agreement yet hence no need to vote.

What the SDA has done is loving disgraceful, but, I'm guessing they've actually tackled a key issue for their membership. The reality is that the vast majority of SDA members are likely to be full-time, day workers who generally work Monday to Friday in big retailers (because part-timers, casuals, etc rarely join unions). If the template ultimately gets applied to them and/or influences salaries in the market in which they work, well, it's good for them and gently caress everyone else.

And that is a good example of why everyone needs to join their union AND why all union members need to be activist members. Union officials working with an activist membership would never, ever attempt anything like the fuckers at SDA.

Also, whoever posted about their mate trying to change the SDA from within, that's almost as funny as changing the ALP from within. SDA send their officials to Christian camp, for gently caress sake.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I'm adding "anime watcher" to the list of grievances against you

I'm adding "anime dave watcher" to the list of grievances against you

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Are there any brisgoons going to the Greens drinks next week? I've only just joined and I'm not sure about going to one of these...

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Ket posted:

Are there any brisgoons going to the Greens drinks next week? I've only just joined and I'm not sure about going to one of these...

There are Greens drinks? I just joined myself and was invited to branch meetings, but no drinks yet.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
It could be organised through Facebook groups or a mailing list. Contact your branch convenor or secretary to see if they can hook you up with the social circuit, or if you're 30 or under the QLD Young Greens are there too.

http://qld.greens.org.au/branches
https://www.facebook.com/qldyg

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Graic Gabtar posted:

Completely OT but I'd be interested in any follow up thoughts you had on you power privatization piece.

At its core, my position is pretty simple. Companies, like governments, can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own. After all, that's the whole point of a bicameral legislature and an independent judiciary - it acknowledges the fact that people can be really scummy and we need to keep an eye on them, especially when they hold our well-being in their hands.

In a democracy, 'we the people' have ways of punishing governments who do the wrong thing. Sadly, not so much when it comes to the big companies.

Things like power, water, sewerage, healthcare, education, prisons, roads and communications should be in the hands of publicly elected officials. At the very least, their backbones should be, with companies handling the smaller day to day stuff, where appropriate.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

It could be organised through Facebook groups or a mailing list. Contact your branch convenor or secretary to see if they can hook you up with the social circuit, or if you're 30 or under the QLD Young Greens are there too.

http://qld.greens.org.au/branches
https://www.facebook.com/qldyg

Are you trying to tell me there are greens members that are under 30? I'm yet to see one at a polling station (in a seat outside a university, then they're like 18) that isn't retired.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

EvilElmo posted:

Are you trying to tell me there are greens members that are under 30? I'm yet to see one at a polling station (in a seat outside a university, then they're like 18) that isn't retired.

pretty much this whole thread mate

except for the guy in the dems, i dont know whats going on there

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The onion thing is true, there's a hot dog place here that just has a giant grill full of onions cooking literally all day outside and there is always a lineup there.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

white mans burping posted:

pretty much this whole thread mate

except for the guy in the dems, i dont know whats going on there

I was under the assumption most of the Greenies here were in their 30's (like me).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ket posted:

I just joined, and I received an email yesterday to go to a drinks night with Larissa Waters and staff in Paddington on the 1st of April. Check your spam folder I guess.

I'm considering it :blush:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Big Willy Style posted:

This makes sense

Should have seen that one coming I guess.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Ler posted:

I was under the assumption most of the Greenies here were in their 30's (like me).

Nah, QM, Mad Katter, Nuclear Spy, Josie, SeekOtherCandidate, I and a bunch of others are all Baby Greens :3:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Graic Gabtar posted:

Should have seen that one coming I guess.

That's not a no.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
hambeet is not, obviously

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Fruity Gordo posted:

Nah, QM, Mad Katter, Josie, SeekOtherCandidate, I and a bunch of others are all Baby Greens :3:

Isn't QM not just a babby green but an actual candidate?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Birb Katter posted:

Isn't QM not just a babby green but an actual candidate?

Yup! And a bunch of us accidentally goonstacked the Young Greens office bearer positions :D

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

That's not a no.

Trust me it's a no.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

The onion thing is true, there's a hot dog place here that just has a giant grill full of onions cooking literally all day outside and there is always a lineup there.
This is just making me more and more depressed. I'm allergic to that crap, and this may help explain why every manufacturer stuffs garlic and onion into loving everything, including stuff that shouldn't have loving onion in it (Like canned tomatoes). My shopping trips take three to four times as long these days because I have to check the ingredients of everything for the tiny garlic/onion small print, and some manufacturers are complete and utter shits and don't list it either, so I'm taking a risk either way.

I would love to be able to eat something other than biscuits, baked beans, and steamed broccoli at home.

I hate you all.

Full disclosure: I just got back from a shopping trip so I am more pissed about this than usual at present.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A productivity based culture -kevin andrews.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ket posted:

Do you mean an event for the actual Greens party, (in which case I must've skipped over the news) or these Green Drinks?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

This is just making me more and more depressed. I'm allergic to that crap, and this may help explain why every manufacturer stuffs garlic and onion into loving everything, including stuff that shouldn't have loving onion in it (Like canned tomatoes). My shopping trips take three to four times as long these days because I have to check the ingredients of everything for the tiny garlic/onion small print, and some manufacturers are complete and utter shits and don't list it either, so I'm taking a risk either way.

I would love to be able to eat something other than biscuits, baked beans, and steamed broccoli at home.

I hate you all.

Full disclosure: I just got back from a shopping trip so I am more pissed about this than usual at present.

You know you can buy actual tomatoes not in a tin at a supermarket or grocer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tinned stuff is heaps cheaper, stores longer, and is perfectly adequate for casseroles and sauces and stuff.

• Locked thread