Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Poor water filtration lead to a loving zombie apocalypse in one of my cities. 15,000 dead in a week from a rolling wave of poo poo Flu. Had to build an entire suburb of crematoriums to handle all the corpses.

This game is great :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Same but synchronous aging.

:cripes:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
So, how can I tell the LUTs are working. They are ticked on (I only just started dabbling in mods after 50 hours).

Also, what's the link for that extremely not flat map?

Edit for clarity:

quote:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Oh this map looks amazing...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411036230&searchtext=

And for you Square City people.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 24, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:stonk:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jamfrost posted:

So, how can I tell the LUTs are working. They are ticked on (I only just started dabbling in mods after 50 hours).

You've got to enable the LUTs manually in game from the Options menu, you'll be able to select from any you've got enabled.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50NafYjlq4

I can finally understand the living hell that my citizens must constantly be facing. Jesus christ the sirens never stop.

Jamfrost posted:

Also, what's the link for that extremely not flat map?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413060839

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
^^Thanks, guys.

I bet driving in that is fun. I might try one of those.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Echoing the request for that hilly mountain map? Wanna try to make a hick town!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Now we're talkin!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I can finally understand the living hell that my citizens must constantly be facing. Jesus christ the sirens never stop.

:siren: :stonk: :siren:

I avoid zooming all the way in just to avoid the farm animal and siren noise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Tailgating an ambulance is the funniest thing that could have happened in this video and I'm glad it did.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

There needs to be a softer and less sirens mod. ASAP. Can't happen soon enough.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most important. Cars should be moving the f' out the way of emergency vehicles with their sirens on!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The first person camera mod now lets you press a button when you select vehicles that puts you in POV mode for whatever you have selected, so you can basically watch dash cam footage of your retarded vehicles driving around your city. It's amazing.

It certainly is. After following a police cruiser on its patrol, my city of Firston suddenly feels a lot bigger. :stare:

This "1977" LUT sure does a decent job of capturing the hazy/smoggy feel of the big city in the 70s. Not sure if I wanna keep it though.

Anyways, anyone got recommendations for a decent highway off-ramp design that doesn't take up a ton of room and extends in both directions? I'm currently using a few roughly diamond-style interchanges with frontage roafs and rough Texas U-turns. I'm thinking of expanding to the neighboring island and moving all my industry over there and I'd like to be able to use a few high-capacity freeway-street interchanges to deal with the kind of traffic the area will get.

Kind of glad I decided to go back to my first city after starting a few others and losing interest. Besides the population is only 35-40k, its go so much room for expansion. I'm gonna suburbanize the gently caress out of that "western" shore (I wish there was a compass, silly as it sounds).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 24, 2015

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, I've been dicking around on the Marsmap, and... well. I'm terrible at this game, but drat if it's not fun building tiny hexagons everywhere. So, here's a view from the top of the cliff down onto the big, water-filled crater:

And just to show off how terrible that switchback road is...

From the distance, though, it actually doesn't look too bad!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Holy poo poo at this:

quote:

NOTE: I ran out of bridge pieces in the asset editor, so the asset you will download is only 80% finished.

:stonkhat:

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/3045pl/a_fully_connected_6way_interchange/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Raskolnikov posted:

Also cows. Zooming in anywhere near farms is terrible. MOO MOO MOO yes there are cows nearby. I get it. Shut up.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I want to create a few handy props as there are simply not enough random, usefull bits. I have some issues though

1. Apparently props do not get images on the workshop?

2. I tried creating a prop in the editor, but wasn't presented with any options

3. How do custom props work in OTHER custom buildings? If someone downloads a custom prop, and then goes onto making a custom building. Will the suscriber need to subscribe to the custom props used, or are the props embedded in the asset and are all downloaded at once (no need to seperately subscribe to the props)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Started working on another map. Raised highways aww yeah.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Whoah.. that looks fantastic.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Am I mistaken, or does it look like ambulances stop for red lights/won't drive in the oncoming traffic lane? I guess that'd be difficult to program, but no wonder they're not getting anywhere.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Started working on another map. Raised highways aww yeah.

Looking great. Having lots of fun on your other map. Only niggle on this one is the highway slicing through the beach, since I like to set up rows of low density residential on the beachside, sort of like beach houses.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's too mountainous elsewhere to stick the highway! Anyway, looks like it's done uploading! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413204253

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This whole steam workshop thing is really great :allears:

I'm accumulating stuff like this for the next time I try to make something more like a small town, or series of small towns dotted around a map. I'm really happy to see the mod community flourishing like this.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Can someone tell me if this game has a maximum work/need distance? Can you put industry twenty miles away from where people live and still get workers? I suspect not?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any reason not to use onramps as rural highways?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Is there any reason not to use onramps as rural highways?

I love using onramps as single lane highways, they're almost as fast as real highways, and the price is right between gravel and undecorated 2 lane roads.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I built one of those multi-lane bus terminal setups in my downtown (great idea whoever came up with that first). It works great, most of the routes always have a big crowd waiting at the station. The only thing is, I have a metro stop next to the bus terminal and nobody uses it, at all. The metro stops at separate parts of the city that are otherwise only connected by freeway, and people use the other stops but nobody gets on at the downtown stop. I even tried making a bus route that visits one of the neighborhoods the metro stops at, and it is packed at all times. Every bus on the route is crammed to capacity from start to finish. These bozos will wait hours in line to ride in a packed bus that takes ages to get across town through traffic instead of ride the metro that ends up in the same place in like 30 seconds.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Someone made a ghostbusters style firehouse! :neckbeard:

Yeah, I use it exclusively because it's more realistic. Firehouses don't have 25 engines :colbert:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Sylink posted:

Can someone tell me if this game has a maximum work/need distance? Can you put industry twenty miles away from where people live and still get workers? I suspect not?

Pretty sure it's determined by travel time, not distance. That's why traffic can cause problems.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Erwin posted:

Yeah, I use it exclusively because it's more realistic. Firehouses don't have 25 engines :colbert:

4 buildings in a single industrial block don't catch on fire every month either. :smugdog:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bunleigh posted:

I built one of those multi-lane bus terminal setups in my downtown (great idea whoever came up with that first). It works great, most of the routes always have a big crowd waiting at the station. The only thing is, I have a metro stop next to the bus terminal and nobody uses it, at all. The metro stops at separate parts of the city that are otherwise only connected by freeway, and people use the other stops but nobody gets on at the downtown stop. I even tried making a bus route that visits one of the neighborhoods the metro stops at, and it is packed at all times. Every bus on the route is crammed to capacity from start to finish. These bozos will wait hours in line to ride in a packed bus that takes ages to get across town through traffic instead of ride the metro that ends up in the same place in like 30 seconds.

Someone a few pages back mentioned that their sub stations did not work when placed on a road T-intersection - maybe that's it?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

this makes a really cool effect if you expand it all the way then scroll up and down.

also hell

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has someone made a doobie's dog house yet? If not I'll make one when I get home tonight but I need this

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Orgophlax posted:

Pretty sure it's determined by travel time, not distance. That's why traffic can cause problems.

The game doesn't actually care whether workers can make it to their workplace. The cars are just for show and for slowing down service vehicles.

I was pretty devastated when I figured this out. I even have trouble bringing myself to keep playing the game now that I know this. I'm sorry :(

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Raskolnikov posted:

I don't mind the sirens. It's the seagulls that kill my ears.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bob le Moche posted:

The game doesn't actually care whether workers can make it to their workplace. The cars are just for show and for slowing down service vehicles.

I was pretty devastated when I figured this out. I even have trouble bringing myself to keep playing the game now that I know this. I'm sorry :(
loving up your service vehicles is the major fail state of the game so it can pay dividends to make residential arrangements that at least make partial sense.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

How does the game know if there are enough workers then? Is it just based off of population numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

We seriously need some science-fiction/hostile environment type buildings. Alas, my skills at modelling/texturing are abysmal at best. Still. StarMinstrel's Mars cries out for proper growables.