Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Son Ryo posted:

This might be a terrible thing to ask but I'm just gonna throw it out there... can anyone recommend any games that are similar to EO but less... soul-crushing? I've tried to play EO2 and EO3, and while I got further in 3 than in 2 I really hate that I can gimp myself just by picking a non-optimal group of characters at the beginning (5 of one class is one thing, but...) and that some skills are better than others. I know they try and compensate for that with the rest mechanic, but I'd rather just play a game with balanced skills so I can't make a useless character by picking the wrong skills. It's hard for me to tell when I've made a mistake with making skills and when I just need to grind harder.

To add on what others have said, if you have any interest in Persona you might want to check out Persona Q. Its basically an EO game but with a Persona paint job. The major exception is with character skills, that is done with managing personas and ect. instead of skill points like in the EO games. The game is also much more forgiving then EO, especially if you figure out how to break the game in two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Persona Q is pretty great. I ended up appreciating it even more after I read the Persona 4 LP, though.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Thuryl posted:

Untold 2 isn't out in English yet, but it supposedly at least ameliorates the latter problem; the bonus dungeon is available in both Story and Classic mode.

That would explain why I haven't been able to find much information on it yet. :downs:

Looks like I'll just stick to the classics then, thanks. I'll probably end up starting another run of 4 with a different party comp after this clear anyway since I doubt nostalgia alone will get me through another 100% clear of EO1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish there was full art of the Highlanders in both color schemes, but oh well. I've decided on the names of the characters I'll use in EO2U and which portraits I'll use.

Now to just wait several months until the game actually comes out. :v:

Incidentally, I found the EO3 Character Sprites.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 24, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, I knew it was around the internet somewhere, though it's a shame they're not full art, but hey, close enough.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I really wish they included the Ronin cameo in III as one of the DLC portraits in Untold 2. My party needs someone to hold the map.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It would be nice if they didn't use the Hexer one though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hivac posted:

It would be nice if they didn't use the Hexer one though.

Oh yeah, not sure where her pants went. I thought for a while she was just wearing white pants or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Welp, time to get a Vita.

On a more serious note, that might be the actual release date for EO2U.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Welp, time to get a Vita.

On a more serious note, that might be the actual release date for EO2U.
:psyduck:

August 4th, huh? I can work with that.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

BattleMaster posted:

Oh yeah, not sure where her pants went. I thought for a while she was just wearing white pants or something.

I think that's what Yuji's been going for the whole time based on random extra artwork but I try not to think about that

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I can't wait to draw 100% accurate maps with my fingers.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

theshim posted:

About to tackle the Bloodbear. Fights at this point basically boil down to "did poison land? If yes, win. If not, splat."

The problem is that will be the case until I get Dismiss Blow...

Even though you have 5 arcanists, can't you only have one circle active at a time? I have never actually put two arcanists into a party at the same time, so I don't know for sure.

For now what do the others do? Just normal attacks? Even charm eye/atrophic eye is on the 2nd tier of skills right?

I guess the plan once you get higher level is to have one guy make a circle and the guy after him use Dismiss Blow/Dismiss Blast/whatever after it in the same turn, twice per turn?

theshim
May 1, 2012

asvodel posted:

Even though you have 5 arcanists, can't you only have one circle active at a time? I have never actually put two arcanists into a party at the same time, so I don't know for sure.

For now what do the others do? Just normal attacks? Even charm eye/atrophic eye is on the 2nd tier of skills right?

I guess the plan once you get higher level is to have one guy make a circle and the guy after him use Dismiss Blow/Dismiss Blast/whatever after it in the same turn, twice per turn?
Basically, I have everyone spam circles one after the other when trying to land Arm Bind or Poison until it sticks, and then they get to noodlearm enemies (although access to rapiers does give them at least a little damage, which is more than could be said for Runemasters). This does tend to mean I run out of TP pretty fast, but for random encounters one Poison Circle usually sticks and deals ~300 now that it's maxed, so it'll carry me fine as long as I can keep landing it.

Bloodbear and Berserker King are going to be a bit of a luckfest, in all honesty.

Once I hit the second tier of skills it'll probably change to a couple Circle deployers, one or two dismissers, and someone to handle support. I'll have to fiddle around with gear to get people's speeds in order, but it shouldn't be that terrible. Leaving a Circle up will at least let me get Circle Boon off, although at this point the healing is negligible.

Also Bushi sub for Blood Surge dismissal will probably be my hardest hitter :suicide:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Couldn't you sub Landy for the rapier skills? That's what I considered for my frontline when I thought about doing a five-wufan run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tyty posted:

Couldn't you sub Landy for the rapier skills? That's what I considered for my frontline when I thought about doing a five-wufan run.
I could, but they'll be stuck at half max rank and with Arcanist's limpwristed attacks - I'll probably end up running a second Runemaster rather than a Landshark sub, but maybe I'll give it a run and see how it holds up.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

That would explain why I haven't been able to find much information on it yet. :downs:

Looks like I'll just stick to the classics then, thanks. I'll probably end up starting another run of 4 with a different party comp after this clear anyway since I doubt nostalgia alone will get me through another 100% clear of EO1.

You'll just have to join the rest of us in eagerly awaiting EO5. I click that drat site every day, just hoping for an update :(

E: theshim is the best EO player. Good luck with your bears, you poor bastard.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So what's the general strategy for Cradle Guardian? Arm binds and hitting him with whatever he feels like being weak to that day? Also is there much of a pattern because I swear I set up my bitchin charge edge/freeze drive combo and then LOL NOPE I'M ELECTRIC NOW.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

From what I remember, he does two turns of random stuff to begin with, then does that powerful arm move that you should have everyone defend against. Then he shifts. I don't know if there's a pattern to what he shifts to, but then he does one turn of attacking, then the powerful move that you should defend against, then shift again.

It just becomes a long fight where he doesn't do that much damage, but when his face is elemental, he resists everything but that weakness.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Is gladiator the best shogun sub? I have a terrible, terrible idea for adding some flavour to my 2nd run of EO3.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

You'll just have to join the rest of us in eagerly awaiting EO5. I click that drat site every day, just hoping for an update :(

I know the feeling. I hadn't played an EO game in a couple years, then finally got my hands on a 3DS. Now I've got the hunger. At least I have the benefit of 4 being all new and shiny to me, and drat is it a good game.

Edit:

SC Bracer posted:

Is gladiator the best shogun sub? I have a terrible, terrible idea for adding some flavour to my 2nd run of EO3.

Its been a while, so I don't know about the best but I recall Berserker's Vow and Warrior's Might leading to disgusting amounts of damage. It was definitely one of my heaviest hitters for the party I built around it, and its what got me to run a linker setup in 4.

Everyman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 25, 2015

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SC Bracer posted:

Gladiator is the best sub for any EO3 class that relies on physical damage, thanks to Berserker's Vow/Charge. I dunno why you'd describe it as a terrible idea though, unless you mean in comparison to playing a Gladiator with a Shogun sub instead for Warrior's Might.

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Bloodbear went down pretty simply, as it only took poison sticking once for each part of the fight.

Also poison really really really needs to stop wearing off in two turns. Berserker King should go down reasonably quickly if it sticks for more than that. Also it seems I can only land each of poison and arm bind once for the battle, sooooooooooooo... :smithicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Geez Elder Dragon is a long fight. I thought I had a solid if tedious strategy down with Guard Order up on my front row to keep my attackers alive while the Wildling NPC takes care of the binds. Unfortunately it looks like if the wildling hasn't decided to use Beast Roar in the past few turns, my guard order isn't enough to keep the wing attack from one-shotting the front line.

Options I can think of -

1) Bring the Hoplite along instead of one of my attackers to use line guard. But then I'd just have one person trying to take off all this massive HP so I'd probably run out of TP/patience.

2) Grind the Monk 5 more levels so I can max Guard order. This would be boring, time consuming, and possibly not even effective (the increase is from 30% damage reduction to 45% at level 10. No idea if this would be enough)

3) Rest the monk and max Guard order that way. This one I guess I could at least try and not save if it doesn't work.

Anything else I'm not thinking of? I didn't even make it halfway through his health yet so he probably has more gently caress-you moves that I haven't seen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Bloodbear went down pretty simply, as it only took poison sticking once for each part of the fight.

Also poison really really really needs to stop wearing off in two turns. Berserker King should go down reasonably quickly if it sticks for more than that. Also it seems I can only land each of poison and arm bind once for the battle, sooooooooooooo... :smithicide:

I was able to land Arm Binds twice with a Sniper. The Circles have higher infliction rates, so it should be slightly easier there. But uh, good luck. You'd need that poison to last 8 turns in order to take him down.

Regy Rusty posted:

Geez Elder Dragon is a long fight. I thought I had a solid if tedious strategy down with Guard Order up on my front row to keep my attackers alive while the Wildling NPC takes care of the binds. Unfortunately it looks like if the wildling hasn't decided to use Beast Roar in the past few turns, my guard order isn't enough to keep the wing attack from one-shotting the front line.

Options I can think of -

1) Bring the Hoplite along instead of one of my attackers to use line guard. But then I'd just have one person trying to take off all this massive HP so I'd probably run out of TP/patience.

2) Grind the Monk 5 more levels so I can max Guard order. This would be boring, time consuming, and possibly not even effective (the increase is from 30% damage reduction to 45% at level 10. No idea if this would be enough)

3) Rest the monk and max Guard order that way. This one I guess I could at least try and not save if it doesn't work.

Anything else I'm not thinking of? I didn't even make it halfway through his health yet so he probably has more gently caress-you moves that I haven't seen.

Equip two Slash Amulets on your front liners, and one on your back liners. Have everyone equip a single crush charm, and have the people on the back row equip a Fire or Ice Amulet. That heavily cuts down his damage. And yeah, Elder Dragon's gimmick is that he is the only enemy in the game that doesn't build up a resistance to binds, though I believe he starts out with a 70% resistance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Equip two Slash Amulets on your front liners, and one on your back liners. Have everyone equip a single crush charm, and have the people on the back row equip a Fire or Ice Amulet.

Oh my god I forgot you guys told me about accessory stacking ages ago. Awesome I'll try that.

Also you weren't kidding about how easy Kraken was with leg binds. I brought my baby combat study ninja along ("baby" I mean she's level 60 now despite never seeing combat before) and he never got to attack once.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

Remember to stock up on blind gas from the atelier, it will give you a third status to work with!

E: 4 Bushi was being too easy, so I knocked myself down to 3!

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 25, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Rangpur posted:

Gladiator is the best sub for any EO3 class that relies on physical damage, thanks to Berserker's Vow/Charge. I dunno why you'd describe it as a terrible idea though, unless you mean in comparison to playing a Gladiator with a Shogun sub instead for Warrior's Might.

That wasn't quite the terrible idea in this case :v:

I totally want to run the hype as gently caress shogun as a successor to hype as gently caress princess for my second run in any case.

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Remember to stock up on blind gas from the atelier, it will give you a third status to work with!

E: 4 Bushi was being too easy, so I knocked myself down to 3!
But I need poison to stick, not blind. I need him to die! :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

That wasn't quite the terrible idea in this case :v:

I totally want to run the hype as gently caress shogun as a successor to hype as gently caress princess for my second run in any case.

It's weird how that's one of the few palette swaps that changes something more than the color scheme, like one of the female Farmers and the elder male Shogun. Kind of caught me off guard the first time I played. Were there any palette swaps in EO4 like that?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ugh well the accessory strategy got me through the first phase of the Elder Dragon fight, but once he starts using elemental skills I'm in trouble. Scarlet Ice in particular has an almost certain chance of destroying me.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

So what's the general strategy for Cradle Guardian? Arm binds and hitting him with whatever he feels like being weak to that day? Also is there much of a pattern because I swear I set up my bitchin charge edge/freeze drive combo and then LOL NOPE I'M ELECTRIC NOW.

I don't know what type of party you have but I can suggest some stuff

The affinity changing is tied to the head, so if you head bind him he can't do it.
Also he is somewhat vulnerable to Paralysis, which will cause him to waste turns that he might otherwise be spending changing forms...

If your main damage source is Logre, if you have a Dancer with Quick Step you can use that to make him always go first in the turn when using Drive skills.... so that the Cradle Guardian will not have a chance to change weaknesses before he attacks.
The Landsknecht skill Vanguard also has this effect, Logre is a Landsknecht sub by default but I don't recall if he has this skill by default.

Imperials are very slow so otherwise you are vulnerable to that happening...
You can also use the high level versions of a Runemaster's Fire/Ice/Volt Rune to give him some more consistent weakness

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's weird how that's one of the few palette swaps that changes something more than the color scheme, like one of the female Farmers and the elder male Shogun. Kind of caught me off guard the first time I played. Were there any palette swaps in EO4 like that?

One of the dancer portraits gets a shirt in their palette swap, but otherwise, no, I didn't notice any.

e: when I was looking for a sprite sheet to check I did find a review of the game (bolding mine).

quote:

Etrian Odyssey 4 is done no favors by the fact that the 3D effects make no effort to give the illusion of a sense of depth. Turning up the slider only makes the backgrounds look like you’re viewing them through a glass of water. Nor does it help that the first F.O.E. you come across, a baboonish bad-guy that you have to sneak past, looks inexplicably like blackface. I will say that the baleen sample in the song that plays in the first dungeon is a nice touch, but the butt-rock that blares when you enter a battle, like Firehouse covered in GarageBand, is inexcusable.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here's the EO4 sprites for reference.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

e: when I was looking for a sprite sheet to check I did find a review of the game (bolding mine).

Mandrills are racist

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

SC Bracer posted:

Did that dude seriously try to trash the battle music??? gently caress that guy! Eo4's battle music is really good!

E:

3 Bushi (bushis? bushii?) downed the first bloodbear at level 12. It wasn't even a contest. He didn't even trigger Endure!

I might have to drop to 2 Bushi...

E#2: Berserker King down at level 15! It was down to the wire... I misstepped early on in the fight and ate his super attack, wiping away my Endures. After that we traded a bunch of hits, and naturally the turn I did some medica healing he started charging up again. Wasn't able to stun him in time, so I had my third guy use the ally shield from the Pelta to save someone earlier in the hit order... And then that single Bushi won the fight with 43 hp left! But now my exp bars are all out of sync :(

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 25, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HELL YEAH THE ELDER DRAGON FIGHT IS GREAT

E: HELL YEAH THAT FINAL LIMIT really kinda sucks huh

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SC Bracer posted:

One of the dancer portraits gets a shirt in their palette swap, but otherwise, no, I didn't notice any.

First off :wtc: it is a baboon.

Second, hating Storm should be a crime.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

What Immortal actually does is heal everyone up to full HP, cure all status effects (and binds? Not sure about that), revive all dead party members, and completely restores everyone's TP. It's a pretty handy emergency limit, though it depends on your playstyle.

And yes, the Elder Dragon is a fun fight. If you bring your own Wildling, and they're a high enough level, they're really fun to use in that fight. That class could have been a lot better, but status effects and binds aren't that good in 3 outside of a few select fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Regy Rusty posted:

Is the Final Limit Immortal? It, uh, it's a full party heal of everything. Including TP.

It's great.

• Locked thread