Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scob
Jul 17, 2005

eleanor gunthrie being a prize was mostly as captain hornigold said, her last name was known as being behind the shipping of the pirated goods and they can parade her around in england as someone who has a family name that can be tarnished instead of some poo poo bird pirate that people in england would not receive as much pleasure in destroying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Taking Eleanor is also, on the surface, cutting the head off the piracy operation in Nassau. They were just barely keeping things together with Eleanor as trade boss, and there is no one at the moment who can replace her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Why? I mean sure, from a TV-drama perspective it makes total sense for the villains to backstab Hornigold for no reason. From a rational perspective however there was no reason not to hand off the pardons at that point. They had gotten something far more valuable then they had asked for and they had no real reasons to kill some no-name pirates.

Also pirates were constantly being pardoned. Even Blackbeard got a pardon for a while before he went back to pirating.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Having a pardon doesn't necessarily mean you're free. Some rear end in a top hat could just throw it away and pretend he never saw it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Also pirates were constantly being pardoned. Even Blackbeard got a pardon for a while before he went back to pirating.

I think that depending on the political context of the moment, there were times were it was very advantageous for England to have privateers raiding Spanish shipping when the empires were in direct competition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Francis_Drake

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pirates weren't all super evil or anything it's almost like they are a group of striking sailors tired of the work conditions of the english navy pardons and the such are just part of the union negotiation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xoidanor posted:

The Brittish Navy yes, but from what we've seen so far the captain of the Scarbarra is far more pragmatic in his approach. :v:

Scarborough, Jesus Christ man. Don't you have education in your borough?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rocksicles posted:

Scarborough, Jesus Christ man. Don't you have education in your borough?

I'm not surprised to see people not recognize it, it sounds weird to us Americans when they say it on the show in those accents. I remember hearing "It's the Scaaaabra!" when they were trying to steal the guns out of that one guy's ship last season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

I'm not surprised to see people not recognize it, it sounds weird to us Americans when they say it on the show in those accents. I remember hearing "It's the Scaaaabra!" when they were trying to steal the guns out of that one guy's ship last season.

i'm English born, we totally say it as brah, Scarbrah, Middlesbrah, Edinbrah. There are plenty of Borough's in the US. New York city is a borough, or is in one.

In Scotland its spelled Burgh as in Edinburgh but i think thats because the old english is Burh, thats where the accent confusion comes from, northerners, Scottish and Irish accents plus local dialect. The southern fairies say it properly.

Pittsburgh is a good example why Scottish spelling leads to confusion. It's supposed to be Pittborough.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I still don't get it. How did Vane's crew get to Carolina? And ostensibly around the same time as Flynt.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They took a boat/boats, not every boat needs to be a ship. Vane took a 14 foot rowboat to where the giant tattooed homie was, to get his new crew.

If they took a ship, then they need to leave a ship,, right?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He knew about Flint's plan because Flint told him after they had the fight at Guthrie's, so Vane left earlier. He also didn't necessarily arrive before Flint. Flint was at the governor's all day, so while what we were shown kind of implied that Vane set a trap, he also might have just arrived almost a full day after Flint, landed before getting to the colony, and then snuck up the shore to the colony. It's really not some kind of unthinkable act of teleportation. Carolina isn't on the other side of the world from New Providence.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Episode made me uncomfortable in some parts. I was affected by the Lady Hamilton's death, not because I especially like her, but because I love Flint. It just really sucks for him.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wizard of Smart posted:

Episode made me uncomfortable in some parts. I was affected by the Lady Hamilton's death, not because I especially like her, but because I love Flint. It just really sucks for him.

Yeah, he's really lost everything now.

(I have a feeling they're setting him up to hook up with Eleanor, which is... bleah.)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Kesper North posted:

(I have a feeling they're setting him up to hook up with Eleanor, which is... bleah.)

I just can't see that. Eleanor consorting with the likes of Vane, and her lack of sophistication in comparison to Flint's previous lovers should make that a non-starter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's gonna hook up with Billy. Forearms and scowls for everyone!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
In case the upcoming wait for season 3 is not painful enough after the finale it's been revealed Blackbeard will be played by Ray Stevenson.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's gonna hook up with Billy. Forearms and scowls for everyone!

I can totally see that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CeeJee posted:

In case the upcoming wait for season 3 is not painful enough after the finale it's been revealed Blackbeard will be played by Ray Stevenson.

That is better than anything I could have ever expected.

It screws up my ideal pick for a similar character in Game of Thrones but I don't give a poo poo.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Holy gently caress

AFewBricksShy posted:

That is better than anything I could have ever expected.

It screws up my ideal pick for a similar character in Game of Thrones but I don't give a poo poo.

That amazing character which was cut by the showrunners so they can make room for more Legends of Gin-Alleys? Yeah I don't give a poo poo either considering Black Sails is a much better show at this point.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CeeJee posted:

Hell loving yes. :black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:circlefap: :derp: That's the best news

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Space Pussy posted:

Holy gently caress

That amazing character which was cut by the showrunners so they can make room for more Legends of Gin-Alleys? Yeah I don't give a poo poo either considering Black Sails is a much better show at this point.

Yeah, it really is. Vikings too.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CeeJee posted:

Yessssss

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just because I haven't seen it posted yet.

:circlefap:

E: How the gently caress do you get timg and spoiler to interact?! :iiam:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
:hist101: :hist101: THIRTEEN! :hist101: :hist101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
OMG...

yes that about covers it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Best S3 news we could get.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait, last week was the finale??

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

One more episode according to epGuides.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Most perfect of casts my brain is blown at how amazing next season is going to be.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That gunvest is sure something, possibly topping the Coat in sheer lethality.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
It's the belt that really pulls that together. How is Flint's Coat supposed to compete with that level of accessorizing?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They had the chance to cast Malkovich and they passed it up?! Now all we need is Black Sam Bellamy and it will be the best pirate show ever.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I'm not really a 1700s naval expert, but isn't the point of a treasure galleon, that a normal ship can't carry around 5 million gold coins? Why is Jack Rackham acting like it can fit on his ship?

5 million Spanish gold coins would've been about 28 tons, or the weight of 10-20 cannons give or take.

Seems doable.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CeeJee posted:

This is fuckin' awesome

A good show gets even better

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

TyrantWD posted:

It's the belt that really pulls that together. How is Flint's Coat supposed to compete with that level of accessorizing?

It's basically The Punisher if he was a pirate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh, Just one thing... Who was the rear end in a top hat back on mysterious-rowboat-island that Vane killed if it wasn't Blackbeard?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, Just one thing... Who was the rear end in a top hat back on mysterious-rowboat-island that Vane killed if it wasn't Blackbeard?

It was an unnamed slave master that used to own/bone Vane when he was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It was an unnamed slave master that used to own/bone Vane when he was a kid.

Who just happened to have a crew full of the finest navy seals this side of Nasau? :crossarms:

• Locked thread