Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

poo poo. Germanwings A-320 from Barcelona to Düsseldorf with 148 passengers and crew down in the Alps.

e: Flightradar 24 shows it maintaining 38000 feet over the Med, started a 3000+ ft/min descent after making landfall which it maintained until contact was lost.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/d-aipx/#5d42675

Reporting "landed" and zero altitude. Could have been a divert and flight radar isn't reporting the correct track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Linedance posted:

Reporting "landed" and zero altitude. Could have been a divert and flight radar isn't reporting the correct track?

Sadly, no: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/mar/24/germanwings-airbus-a320-crashes-in-french-alps-live-updates

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah, just saw this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32030270

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It's an Airbus. Any guesses as to whether the automated systems helped the crash along, as they have in so many other Airbus flights?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bobfather posted:

It's an Airbus. Any guesses as to whether the automated systems helped the crash along, as they have in so many other Airbus flights?

:rolleyes:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The Alps this time of year is going to be a bitch for SAR. Not that there'll be much to R. :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's a 24 year old airframe so if we're going to do some baseless speculation I'm going with metal fatigue.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

It's a 24 year old airframe so if we're going to do some baseless speculation I'm going with metal fatigue.

My turn!

"Gawdamn square windows!" :argh:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
While on the subject of slight morbidity...

Found this while browsing, if you *really* want to show your love for the MD-11*

It's a coffin

*By killing the builder and telling him to get the number of engines right next time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Supposedly the plane had put out a "distress signal" before it disappeared.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Found a bunch of cool stuff on the Starship. Brace for impact!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7AzS0vXa6s

(that's a lot of CRTs)

:allears:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

Supposedly the plane had put out a "distress signal" before it disappeared.

Yeah, at 10:47 which would be at the very end of the FR24 screenshot I posted, at local time GMT+1. It maintained its usual course apart from the very straight descent. Perhaps cabin pressurization failure and unconscious pilots?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ola posted:

Yeah, at 10:47 which would be at the very end of the FR24 screenshot I posted, at local time GMT+1. It maintained its usual course apart from the very straight descent. Perhaps cabin pressurization failure and unconscious pilots?

Airline has just tweeted - apparently the last transmission received from the plane was "Jungs , ich bin besorgt!"

What can it mean?!?!?!?!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Now they are saying no distress call, but that ATC said the plane was in distress after not hearing from them after trying to make contact.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Saga posted:

Airline has just tweeted - apparently the last transmission received from the plane was "Jungs , ich bin besorgt!"

What can it mean?!?!?!?!

Looks like some kind of cryptic WWII code!

Reminder:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Nah, the auto pilot would just keep going in that case, unless the pilots just fell onto the side sticks. May as well guess that Lufthansa skipped out on using the correct lubricant on the horizontal stabilizer if you're going that direction.

Saga posted:

What can it mean?!?!?!?!

Punched into google translate, was not disappointed.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 24, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Saga posted:

What can it mean?!?!?!?!

hobbesmaster posted:

Punched into google translate, was not disappointed.

:golfclap:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Inacio posted:

Found a bunch of cool stuff on the Starship. Brace for impact!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7AzS0vXa6s

(that's a lot of CRTs)

:allears:

Oh hey, I photographed N514RS landing at SNA last year.

Well, I mean, there's only like nine of them flying to begin with, but still.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah, the auto pilot would just keep going in that case, unless the pilots just fell onto the side sticks. May as well guess that Lufthansa skipped out on using the correct lubricant on the horizontal stabilizer if you're going that direction.

I figured they had time to dial in a descent on the autopilot. But yeah, it's baseless internet speculation, hope we get some answers soon.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In times of baseless speculation, the answer is always "a miniature black hole."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On pprune, I saw a suggestion that a fighter jet squawked 7700 in the general area at around the same time so it was likely that it collided with the Airbus.

At which point I decided pprune was officially useless.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What if a miniature black hole was squawking 7700?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

What if a miniature black hole was squawking 7700?

Eh, even if it did happen, its more likely that the fighter saw the crash and was squawking 7700 to give an approximate area and announce the incident.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Advent Horizon posted:

That's a Mallard.

It i... poo poo, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

They've released a photo of the crash site:

How the hell do you even start to investigate if the plane's broken up that much :psyduck:

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
That is really sad. Hard to imagine that there are any survivors.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
How the hell do you even begin to explain something like this. The descent profile and track looks like someone just disconnected the autopilot, closed the throttles and made no other inputs until the aircraft went in. Not even a decompression would adequately cover this.

There was some talk about the crew communicating with ATC during its descent, even through they did not change the squawk. I'm just praying it's not another pilot suicide.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So to play not-entirely-baseless speculation, is it reasonable to say there's no mechanical failure mode that would explain both loss of radio contact and the straight steady descent, and that the leading candidates at this time are incapacitation of the crew after setting an autopilot descent, or controlled flight into terrain?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

JingleBells posted:

How the hell do you even start to investigate if the plane's broken up that much :psyduck:

From my expertise watching episodes of Air Crash Investigation: they first try to find the four corners of the plane (wingtips, nose, tail). Their location will help to determine the heading of the plane on impact, and whether the plane broke up in the air or on the ground. And if you find three corners close together but the other wing is far away, there was probably a problem with that wing. That kind of stuff.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Shim Howard posted:

So to play not-entirely-baseless speculation, is it reasonable to say there's no mechanical failure mode that would explain both loss of radio contact and the straight steady descent, and that the leading candidates at this time are incapacitation of the crew after setting an autopilot descent, or controlled flight into terrain?
If there was some catastrophic multiple failure of systems (all hydraulics, all electrics or both engines out for instance), you could reasonably assume that the crew would have made inputs to change the aircraft's heading using either the engines or the normal flight controls to get to a suitable alternate airport and attempt a landing (and squawked 7700 or lost transponder). They overflew multiple civilian and military airports with 10000ft+ runways before heading into France's beautiful but barren center.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 24, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JingleBells posted:

They've released a photo of the crash site:

I actually binged a bunch of "Air Disasters" (or Mayday) over the weekend and it's amazing what they can work with.

One of the ones I watched was for Swissair Flight 111 and it was in tiny tiny pieces. They collected several million fragments of airplane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

Yet they still managed to find the individual wire that likely started the fire that brought the flight down.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 24, 2015

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

bull3964 posted:

I actually binged a bunch of "Air Disasters" (or Mayday) over the weekend and it's amazing what they can work with.

One of the ones I watched was for Swissair Flight 111 and it's was in tiny tiny pieces. They collected several million fragments of airplane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

Yet they still managed to find the individual wire that likely started the fire that brought the flight down.

Never underestimate the resources of a multinational effort in both the amount of money (near unlimited) and amount of people (near unlimited) that can be brought in to help.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Or underestimate the benefit of having serial numbers on every drat part of the plane.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dietcokefiend posted:

Never underestimate the resources of a multinational effort in both the amount of money (near unlimited) and amount of people (near unlimited) that can be brought in to help.

Yeah, usually these things have no limit to the money spent finding out the cause because the fallout could be loss in confidence of air travel which would basically tank the worldwide economy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Man, it really did smash hard :smith:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
They've already found the flight recorders. That's pretty impressive

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM1thbvBbKk

Helicopter footage of the crash site.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's like there was an aluminum hail storm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doesn't look like anything bigger than a large suitcase left. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Or underestimate the benefit of having serial numbers on every drat part of the plane.

Even with this, I'd still imagine a midair between 2 of the same plane under the same carrier would be a complete loving nightmare to piece back together.