Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

I don't notice app memory issues or battery problems on my 6 with 5.1. Services usage % wise is higher than it should be on a normal day but isn't making a meaningful impact on my battery really. I've never had Google Music or Pocket Casts get thrown out memory in use on any device.
Same here on the N5 but apparently lots of people in the thread have.

Good to know with regards to the SIM cracks it wasn't just me being clumsy because I keep my phone naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Since 5.1 my N5 has the following problems

-Keeps giving me an error that it can't connect to the camera
-After a day or so the phone will suddenly lock up and reboot
-Battery dies extremely quickly

Think I'll do a complete flash and wipe later, but now I'm traveling abroad and I can't be stuck with out a phone should the flash go bad.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

actionjackson posted:

I lost my Nexus 4 (dropped it into a Danish harbor!) while on vacation. I was just going to get the Nexus 5, though that appears to be only available from Amazon. There's a 32 GB version for sale with 4G ($500) and without 4G in the US ($380). Is it a big deal whether I have this or not? I don't use much data as it is.

No such thing as a non-4G Nexus 5, my best guess is the one without is the European model.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rusty! posted:

No such thing as a non-4G Nexus 5, my best guess is the one without is the European model.

Yeah I think it said international version.

I'm also curious about the OnePlus One. It's definitely cheaper than any other decent unlocked phone I can find.

My alternative is to buy the Moto X (2nd gen) unlocked and then use it with AT&T go phone, which is what I used before. This seems a lot cheaper than buying it with a contract.

If someone could check my math here, so I understand this right...

Moto X $500

GoPhone contract that I use is $45/month (unlimited talk, text, 1.5GB of 4G whatever which is more than enough)

Over two years that is $1580

If I buy the phone with a contract,

Moto X $100

Contract plan is $60/month over two years, so that's $1440

$1540

So pretty similar. I don't get as much data though. Also 40/60 each month is just for the phone? So you pay $960 for the phone?

On their site it says 'Access charges for smartphone lines on No Annual Service Contracts (AT&T Next, bring your own, pay full price, or month-to-month) are discounted up to $25 per month when compared to smartphone lines on new 2-year contracts."

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 24, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
A lot of goons itt that will tell you to stay far away from the OPO because of the silly PR decisions and terrible customer support (it's really bad). I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and really like it. There's a load of custom roms available or even the stock one works well. Battery life is insane and the phone feels pretty good naked.

A Moto X 2014 is always a good choice too unless battery life is your main need. Why not use Cricket instead of GoPhone? The only thing you get that's better on Gophone is faster LTE speeds which will mean nothing unless you're constantly streaming videos.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

A lot of goons itt that will tell you to stay far away from the OPO because of the silly PR decisions and terrible customer support (it's really bad). I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and really like it. There's a load of custom roms available or even the stock one works well. Battery life is insane and the phone feels pretty good naked.

A Moto X 2014 is always a good choice too unless battery life is your main need. Why not use Cricket instead of GoPhone? The only thing you get that's better on Gophone is faster LTE speeds which will mean nothing unless you're constantly streaming videos.

That's a good idea, I'll check that out, thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
AT&T Note 4 Lollipop is out. Let's see what all it's broke!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Same here on the N5 but apparently lots of people in the thread have.

Good to know with regards to the SIM cracks it wasn't just me being clumsy because I keep my phone naked.

Nope, not just you. Both my original and refurb are cracked there. Eventually it will crack in the exact same spot on the opposite side.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

actionjackson posted:

I lost my Nexus 4 (dropped it into a Danish harbor!) while on vacation. I was just going to get the Nexus 5, though that appears to be only available from Amazon. There's a 32 GB version for sale with 4G ($500) and without 4G in the US ($380). Is it a big deal whether I have this or not? I don't use much data as it is.

If you like cheap phones I just saw the LG G2 was on sale on eBay for $190 new in the box. It's basically the N5 hardware wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G2-Latest-Model-32GB-GSM-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone-Brand-New/171569243169

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I've had the battery problem on my Nexus 5 as of 5.1 as well. This was this morning after about a half hour of just idleOnly ~7hrs of idle time??

Here it is right before I posted. Now I'm only supposed to last until 2PM?

Yeah some poor signal but even with strong signal it's diving.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Just ordered a Nexus 6. I'm hoping the size won't bother me too much, I've used a 6+ and Note 4 before, but every review makes it seem like it's just *that* much bigger than those two that it can be an issue. I can't wait to try out some pure Lollipop, I haven't been able to play around with it on any other devices yet. The only other thing that bothers me are the inconsistent battery reports - have you guys been able to make it through a full day with no issues? I have no problem plugging in every night, but I see reports from people who are only getting 3 hours of SoT and that is somewhat concerning.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've been able to get through a day just fine with decent usage.

Also, the turbo charger is a pretty nice addition. I picked up a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatible car adapter. I might finish the work day at 65-70% battery, but in my 20 minute drive home from the office, it pretty much tops it back up to 90%.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

I've been able to get through a day just fine with decent usage.

Also, the turbo charger is a pretty nice addition. I picked up a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatible car adapter. I might finish the work day at 65-70% battery, but in my 20 minute drive home from the office, it pretty much tops it back up to 90%.

Just so you know, you aren't really taking advantage of Quick Charge until your battery is below 60%. Above 60%, it's only charging at 5v at whatever amps the charger delivers which is normal charging range.

mars
Apr 5, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Since 5.1 my N5 has the following problems

-Keeps giving me an error that it can't connect to the camera
-After a day or so the phone will suddenly lock up and reboot
-Battery dies extremely quickly

Think I'll do a complete flash and wipe later, but now I'm traveling abroad and I can't be stuck with out a phone should the flash go bad.

I wouldn't count on the wipe to fix it. Mine did for about 2 days and then it went back to poo poo. Although I just did a factory reset instead of flash the complete image, I guess if you do it post your results.

The Merkinman posted:

I've had the battery problem on my Nexus 5 as of 5.1 as well. This was this morning after about a half hour of just idleOnly ~7hrs of idle time??

Here it is right before I posted. Now I'm only supposed to last until 2PM?

Yeah some poor signal but even with strong signal it's diving.

That's how my graph looks too. I removed updates from Google Play Services to check if it was something in a new version but so far it doesn't seem to be the case.
The N5 was never a battery superstar, but this is the first time that I think it's become unusable as a phone I can count on.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

comper posted:

Just ordered a Nexus 6. I'm hoping the size won't bother me too much, I've used a 6+ and Note 4 before, but every review makes it seem like it's just *that* much bigger than those two that it can be an issue. I can't wait to try out some pure Lollipop, I haven't been able to play around with it on any other devices yet. The only other thing that bothers me are the inconsistent battery reports - have you guys been able to make it through a full day with no issues? I have no problem plugging in every night, but I see reports from people who are only getting 3 hours of SoT and that is somewhat concerning.

Don't worry, you'll be fine with the size, then. The curved back makes it easier to handle than a Note or the 6+. Battery lasts a day and I'd consider myself a heavy user (with bad reception at the office on top!). SOT is around 4 hours / day. Some days I got it up to five.

Everything else is handled by Quick Charge. It's awesome! :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mars posted:

The N5 was never a battery superstar, but this is the first time that I think it's become unusable as a phone I can count on.

:shrug:

I think there's a major problem with battery usage reporting.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

butt dickus posted:

:shrug:

I think there's a major problem with battery usage reporting.

Possible, but at 0% my phone shut off. In the past, when I had a battery reporting error it'd sit at 0% for a while.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Possible, but at 0% my phone shut off. In the past, when I had a battery reporting error it'd sit at 0% for a while.
I meant in the percentages. The numbers aren't useful and they don't add up to anything that makes sense. I have 5 entires with 1% each. That's useless. It doesn't matter to me right now but I'm not having battery problems.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ended up getting the latest Moto X. Next time I'm on vacation I'm going to put this thing on a lanyard or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having a weird issue with the Hangouts app that I'm wondering if I'm alone in. I have many conversations that from the main page state a last activity date of something like Feb 9, for example. Yet that's not accurate, if I go into the conversation, the last message was say March 15. Why is this main view not updating, it's very annoying because it orders conversations by date incorrectly.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

butt dickus posted:

I meant in the percentages. The numbers aren't useful and they don't add up to anything that makes sense. I have 5 entires with 1% each. That's useless. It doesn't matter to me right now but I'm not having battery problems.
See my first image:
1%: Screen
1%: Chrome (even though its bar is shorter than the one for Screen)
98%: :confused:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

See my first image:
1%: Screen
1%: Chrome (even though its bar is shorter than the one for Screen)
98%: :confused:
Right. It's broken and has been since the L preview. That's one thing that definitely worked better under 4.4.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got betterbatterystats but I can't really use it since my phone is not rooted. Is there a good way to do this on 5.0.2?

Also is there a way to disable the screen that comes up whenever you move the phone after it's resting? I only want the screen to come on if I press the power button, in which case widget locker should show up.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 24, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I got betterbatterystats but I can't really use it since my phone is not rooted. Is there a good way to do this on 5.0.2?
Nope, Google decided that you shouldn't be able to see that information for reasons.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tunga posted:

Nope, Google decided that you shouldn't be able to see that information for reasons.

I saw you can root it, but I don't want to lose anything. Any alternative programs?

I disabled a ton of poo poo that always gave me partial wakelocks on my nexus 4.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Tunga posted:

Project Volta is too powerful for human eyes

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm having a weird issue with the Hangouts app that I'm wondering if I'm alone in. I have many conversations that from the main page state a last activity date of something like Feb 9, for example. Yet that's not accurate, if I go into the conversation, the last message was say March 15. Why is this main view not updating, it's very annoying because it orders conversations by date incorrectly.

Yes I have seen this and it's super weird. I haven't seen it recently but I can't actually remember if there was a Hangouts update that fixed it or if it was fixed when I wiped for/flashed 5.1

It's super annoying because as you say, the ordering changes. I'd look for a text that I KNOW I just got and it wouldn't be there. Some wouldn't be in the list at all and I'd have to compose a new message to even see the old ones...

Sorry this isn't actually helpful but I've definitely seen it

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I saw you can root it, but I don't want to lose anything. Any alternative programs?

I disabled a ton of poo poo that always gave me partial wakelocks on my nexus 4.
The APIs that provide that info are blocked to apps that aren't installed on the system partition. You cannot get it without root (or a third-party ROM obviously, but that's more effort). It doesn't matter what app you install, it simply cannot get the data.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

myron cope posted:

Yes I have seen this and it's super weird. I haven't seen it recently but I can't actually remember if there was a Hangouts update that fixed it or if it was fixed when I wiped for/flashed 5.1

It's super annoying because as you say, the ordering changes. I'd look for a text that I KNOW I just got and it wouldn't be there. Some wouldn't be in the list at all and I'd have to compose a new message to even see the old ones...

Sorry this isn't actually helpful but I've definitely seen it

Awesome, no that actually is helpful because I know it's not some corruption or broken thing on my end alone. I'm glad someone other than me is experiencing the exact same problem! I really hope it's a known bug.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone know how to block a number on 5.1?

I keep getting calls from "Windows IT dept" about my viruses or whatever.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

peepsalot posted:

Anyone know how to block a number on 5.1?

I keep getting calls from "Windows IT dept" about my viruses or whatever.

Add number to contact, set contact to "All calls to voicemail".

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
If anyone is interested I got my unlocked virgin (locked bootloader) Moto X (XT1053) for sale on SA-Mart. Phone runs like a champ but I'll be upgrading.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708460

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
My LG G2 has developed an issue that is suspected to be the digitizer (deadzone / phantom touch that has stricken a fair number of G2's). Long story short, it's a hassle to fix and I'm looking for a replacement. Seeing that I have about another 8 months in my shared (uninsured) plan on Verizon, I was wondering what my best option would be in the neighborhood of $100 used on Ebay or elsewhere.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

My LG G2 has developed an issue that is suspected to be the digitizer (deadzone / phantom touch that has stricken a fair number of G2's). Long story short, it's a hassle to fix and I'm looking for a replacement. Seeing that I have about another 8 months in my shared (uninsured) plan on Verizon, I was wondering what my best option would be in the neighborhood of $100 used on Ebay or elsewhere.

Get a Moto E/G as backup phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Get a Moto E/G as backup phone.
Nope, not on Verizon as he'd be stuck without LTE.

$130 buys you a 2013 Moto X (XT1060) on eBay. You won't beat that.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I have a Droid Turbo, and use the Moto app for sleep silencing at night. I have it set to ring through the silence mode if two tries are made. Is there any way that I'm missing to have this include Google Hangouts video or voice calls?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

ninmeister posted:

I have a Droid Turbo, and use the Moto app for sleep silencing at night. I have it set to ring through the silence mode if two tries are made. Is there any way that I'm missing to have this include Google Hangouts video or voice calls?

Nope, it's only for phone calls from the actual dialer app. Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but: Don't get too attached to the feature. Assuming Moto pushes the same changes to the Turbo with Lollipop that they did with the Moto X, that feature will go away.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Require More Fire posted:

Nope, it's only for phone calls from the actual dialer app. Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but: Don't get too attached to the feature. Assuming Moto pushes the same changes to the Turbo with Lollipop that they did with the Moto X, that feature will go away.

Wow that's pretty terrible, it's a great feature.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ninmeister posted:

Wow that's pretty terrible, it's a great feature.

I'm going to do zero research on this, but I feel like I remember there being apps that implement this same feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Doesn't 5.0 have the baked in natively?