Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Can't they make 1 or 2 gem medallion's of vengeance? Allahu Ackbar.

I rescind my previous statement, Suicide Bomber Conans is the superior tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Can't they make 1 or 2 gem medallion's of vengeance? Allahu Ackbar.

1 gem with a hammer, at which cost its probably worthwhile.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why don't you guys just play LA Agartha

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im doing a game, on the goon game service. it has the abysia mod that jbereton made a million years ago in it so come join it to get crushed by fuckin n9w9 fire elementals or some dumb bullshit like that http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/245 . please dont join if you are not going to be regularly in irc

Edit i changed my mind im making TWO IDIOT GAMES with the same idiot mod

jsoh fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 17, 2015

NZ Chrysis
Aug 14, 2008
How do ritual bonus sites and global enchantments interact?

If I have a 20% bonus site, and cast a global that usually requires 100 gems, I only need to put 80 in to successfully cast it right? But what about dispelling? If I did only put 80 in, does it still cost 100 pearls to dispel?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
No.

It sets your casting strength at the minimum for the global (plus bonus path levels), and it needs to be brought back up to the full 100 before you start overcasting. It may actually even start at a 'negative' casting strength. I've never experimented much with this.

Dispel only costs 30 pearls, and starts counting its overcast at 31 so it's a little cheaper to overcast dispel than a powerful global.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

No.

It sets your casting strength at the minimum for the global (plus bonus path levels), and it needs to be brought back up to the full 100 before you start overcasting. It may actually even start at a 'negative' casting strength. I've never experimented much with this.

Dispel only costs 30 pearls, and starts counting its overcast at 31 so it's a little cheaper to overcast dispel than a powerful global.

Didn't they fix that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is Jomon's Teaching Sign really +1 in every magic path? :aaa:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Is Jomon's Teaching Sign really +1 in every magic path? :aaa:

Yes but only Dai Tengu can use it naturally so :shrug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Yes but only Dai Tengu can use it naturally so :shrug:

Which lets them fog warriors which is pretty great.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Attention everybody, Melum is a filthy NAP breaker. Shame on him or her.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

im doing a game, on the goon game service. it has the abysia mod that jbereton made a million years ago in it so come join it to get crushed by fuckin n9w9 fire elementals or some dumb bullshit like that http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/245 . please dont join if you are not going to be regularly in irc

Edit i changed my mind im making TWO IDIOT GAMES with the same idiot mod
Shine on you crazy diamond.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cataclysm ended finally. This was a cataclysm mod game. Basically everyone gets indie garbage and a low path mage with a few randoms covering all paths. Most national troops and mages are found in sites, the majority of which are level 0 with only the strongest ones being level 1 (stuff like starspawn, brides in waiting etc). All of the mage sites also grant gems, meaning you will inevitably be flooded with tons of gems of all types. This game also had a rule of no SC gods. It was to be poo poo troops, poo poo mages, lead by a human pretender chassis.

The game saw huge armies of random poo poo awash in gem summons you normally don't see used so heavily led by the most powerful mages available from all ages. It was good. For my own nation, I elected to go with an n9 imprisoned master enchanter with o3,p3 (to mass poo poo heavy cav to expand) and cold 1 for rivers. Wanted something that would allow me to use any good sacreds that I found since n9 is the most flexible bless, generally good for the vast majority of sacreds.

Sadly, I actually didn't find any for quite a while with my best sacred being Enki's Chosen, which are rather poo poo. Still, I made some to use as meat walls which is something they can do quite well. And I did have stuff that was good to put behind said meatwalls, namely ulmish rangers and hoburg crossbows and a province that made hannya to drop flaming arrows; so I went ahead and went for conj3 ench4, leading to 5 since I had a few death mage sites (Augur Elders, Sorcerers, Galdermen and Sauromancers) and substantial death income to spam out pale riders. This ended up working out perfectly. I rushed White, who was still mostly reliant on starter crap by the time I creeped my mm1 xbow stack up to him. He died quickly and AId out once I killed his armies. With him AI'd, I left a token force on his cap and creeped the stack back down towards Brown, now augmented by swarms of pale riders and vine ogres. Brown had a similar lineup heavily reliant on death but I had a much larger empire and as such was able to swarm over him. In the pivotal battle that broke him I cast Summon Air Elemental about 20 times, which is more than sufficient to stop skelespam.

From there I mostly consolidated, got blood and storm demons since I had a few sources of good hunters and nibbled at other destroyed/AId nations. Eventually, Mendin being the beautiful bastard he is dropped Astral Corruption out of the blue which was slightly problematic for most players since they were heavily reliant on gem summons to build armies. I fortunately had a large blood econ to back it up and was able to easily swap over to focus on that, while spending my gems in large chunks on suicidal mages building thugs. Spectres, Vampire Lords and later Wraith Lords, all fully geared to fly around and be general nuisances. During this time I sent significant amounts of welfare in the form of slaves and later armies to keep blue and his astral corruption in the game.

Now wielding a huge blood economy, I spammed out a ton of vampires and empowered any S4s I had lying around into blood for horror spam.

No one was really able to stop me at this point so my armies just kind of swept over the map gobbling territory and thrones until game end. At some point I got vengeful waters up (which involved a water queen wearing armor of virtue). Aquamarine eventually started armageddon spamming, which dented my blood income and required significant micromanagement to repair (:argh:), though the loss of funds was not felt basically at all due to a fire empowered vampire I had casting Transmute Fire every turn to finance mage recruitment. Upon acquiring blood9 I quickly amassed some flying throne taking doom stacks and ended the game.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 22, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Astral Corruption+Horror Spam+Flying dudes wins games :toot:
It's a fact

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

Jester Mcgee posted:

Attention everybody, Melum is a filthy NAP breaker. Shame on him or her.

Sorry, I honestly forgot we had one. I'm still attacking, obviously.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The best/worst/funniest part is that I, Mendin, had all of 3 people capable of Send Lesser Horror, 1 person (my pretender, the global caster) capable of casting Send Horror, and an anemic (no pun intended) blood economy. I already had blood chugging at a mediocre rate due to Warlock Apprentices and a 30% Blood Site in my borders, got bored of the game, and instead of going AI, decided to spend 2-3 turns forging boosters and empowering, then dumping my slave cache into AC and waiting to get steamrolled. If nothing else, the 3-4 confused and indignant messages that came in the turn after I cast it were glorious :allears:. Then Nuclearmonkee started piling more slaves onto me and said to keep doing what I was doing, letting me fling horrors at my besiegement and recasting AC twice on dispels. Then he swept down with doomlegions and cleared away everyone attacking me, letting me chill contentedly in my (surrounded by his forces) capital and ruin the fabric of magic for all eternity.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I like to think pretenders who have clearly failed at claiming supremacy often try to forge alliances and pull off big plays to benefit/impress the real contenders in order to avoid banishment to Tartarus when some one eventually wins. Going AI of course is the equivalent of "SCREW YOU GUYS I'M GOING HOME" and probably results in double banishment.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Cataclysm was fun and good, even if I was pretty much ineffectual all game long (I was beige). I got very lucky early with skratti and Illuminated One sites near my cap, and two separate seraph sites. I also got hold of an Ancestor Smith/Ancestor Guide site in my capcircle, but like an idiot never bothered to make a bunch of them, and all my other good battlemages were StR. I never even found any other blood mages until the very end, when I took one of mendin's unforted gygja sites.

I rolled over Red early and that was pretty much it as far as victories went. I never even took their cap. :shobon: I out-skeletoned aquamarine in an early war, then after some peace, and after Mendin dropped AC, he steamrolled me with a dozen skelespamming enaries + Fog Warriors. At that point I knew I was completely hosed so I summoned a bunch of comically bad Unfrozen and devoted the rest of my armies to try and hellfuck mendin before Aquamarine took all my stuff. It didn't work but I like to think it was a little annoying.

A++ would drown in magic gems and ridiculous doomstacks again. Next time I'd take magic + income scales, an S/B pretender, use way more gems in combat, and fort every single useful mage site. Research (and blood) is king and everybody had better research than me.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So does Send Lesser Horror get boosted when Astral Corruption's in play?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So does Send Lesser Horror get boosted when Astral Corruption's in play?

yes

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

They greatly reduced the boosting rates when they hosed with horrors the last time around. Don't bank on it.

Lessers are extremely good though the quality is highly variable.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does it just make them generally better, or just it just give a chance for the Big Doom horrors?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does it just make them generally better, or just it just give a chance for the Big Doom horrors?

Chance for lesser to upgrade to a regular horror and a chance for a regular horror to upgrade to a doom horror (like 1%)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Chance for lesser to upgrade to a regular horror and a chance for a regular horror to upgrade to a doom horror (like 1%)

Regular horrors already have a 1% chance of upgrading to Doom Horrors. I saw three of them in my last Blood game, where I didn't cast AC. So I suppose AC boost it to... dunno, 3%?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Regular horrors already have a 1% chance of upgrading to Doom Horrors. I saw three of them in my last Blood game, where I didn't cast AC. So I suppose AC boost it to... dunno, 3%?

I didn't test that extensively but yeah it's still very low, which is good cause doom horrors are insane.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Cataclysm was hilarious. The problem was that I didn't get any blood economy going until late as my god was sleeping and I just couldn't find blood mages. The hedge mages random skill set was funny. Also, I wound up with Basalt kings, 3 different types of naga mages, and seraphs. I swallowed up the land of 3 different people bit by bit before getting steam rolled by Monkee because goddamn AC meant I couldn't replace the forces I had summoned before it went up. gently caress that spell sometimes. (I cast it literally every game I'm in if I can)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Astral Corruption for over 2 years.

I just didn't enough population for a blood economy, even though I had 2 good blood mages I could recruit.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can cast through AC. I was spamming poo poo the whole time. Just don't do it with mages you care about is all or make sure they are immortal.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
When I recast AC, a turn or two later, an Armageddon Wish hit. Then another the turn after that. Then two the turn after that. Then another one the next turn. Mad props for whoever was feeding the Doom Horrors by whacking that much death onto the world.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It was bothering me so I made a small mod to remove the resource premium from all barded cavalry and chariots.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Marshmallow Trick is a good game. My snake god got killed by hill wizard steve hiding in some slingers on turn 4 and this just popped up in my cap.

Guess I know what that throne is now! Will report back once it generates frozen lands. :suicide:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You're playing Abysia ,what did you expect?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

You're playing Abysia ,what did you expect?

To get horribly murdered. The RNG kicking me in the junk is complete overkill.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sometimes when you play Dominions it turns out the RNG put on its best pair of steel-toed boots and lined you the gently caress up.

That said even by Dominions standards monkee got hosed :wow:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Someone get this hothead outta here

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Marshmallow Trick is a good game. My snake god got killed by hill wizard steve hiding in some slingers on turn 4 and this just popped up in my cap.

Guess I know what that throne is now! Will report back once it generates frozen lands. :suicide:

Guess we're in good company then. loving shark tribe tritons...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Tier 2 Throne:

Then he killed a third of my army himself with Rain of Stones and my Blood Vengeance only did like 10 damage to him :(

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fuckin wrecked.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Hahaha indy mages are even more legit now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Titan of Heaven and Annunaki of the Sky are considered the two most dangerous throne guardians for a reason.

• Locked thread