Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

redbackground posted:

What was the headline?

"Sam Bullet is Kingpin stooge" or something along those lines.

Lurdiak posted:

Ironically, Bendis wrote an absolutely dreadful Jameson in his New Avengers run. He had the man go back on a handshake.

And there's a code amongst guys who shook Sinatria's hand!

BigDave fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I'm really hoping that when we get Spider-Man in the MCU, if we see Jameson, that they'll hew closer to the Ultimate version more(or at least the more sane and reasonable side of 616 version), cause we've already gotten the perfect representation of Classic Jameson already on the big screen

Hell, I'd still have Simmons play him.

My favourite Ultimate JJ moment is that Ultimatum splash page (splash, geddit? :haw:), where he's watching Spider-Man save hundreds from the flood.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BigDave posted:

From Ulitimate Spider-Man 49:

Quick back story, Jamison fired Parker for questioning why the Daily Bugle was endorsing a anti-Spider Man candidate that had connections to the Kingpin, and Spider-Man saved Jamison from the Enforcers after he published a editorial disowning said candidate.

I know Brian Bendis gets accolades for how he handled Peter Parker and Aunt May, but for my money, his J. Jonah Jamison was the best I've seen. He managed to ride that fine line between cold-hearted businessman and chronic bastard with a heart of gold.

"You're a bright boy with a huge future in front of you."

:smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

W.T. Fits posted:

"You're a bright boy with a huge future in front of you."

At least he created a legacy?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Poison Mushroom posted:

At least he created a legacy?

He is also still alive

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He is also still alive

Wait, what.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Wait, what.

In the Ultimate Spider-man storyline that just ended you found out that Peter is still alive and he went off into the sunset with Mary Jane. JJJ also got killed by the Green Goblin.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

In the Ultimate Spider-man storyline that just ended you found out that Peter is still alive and he went off into the sunset with Mary Jane.
Aha. So USM's finally being hit by the old "I don't like this development, so I'm going to change it and undermine every emotional moment in it, while also being thuddingly stupid about it".

AKA, "One More Day Syndrome".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Aha. So USM's finally being hit by the old "I don't like this development, so I'm going to change it and undermine every emotional moment in it, while also being thuddingly stupid about it".

AKA, "One More Day Syndrome".

Not really. I assume it was Bendis knowing that Miles is going to the normal universe and he wanted to give Peter a happy ending for a while.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's the same writer though. Unless someone put a gun to his head and told him to kill Peter Parker and make the comic about Miles Morales (and there's mountains of evidence against that), there wasn't any reason for him to rage against his own writing. He probably just felt kind of bad for fans of Ultimate Pete.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Huh. I stand corrected.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It felt planned out, he knew he'd never keep Peter dead and wanted some measure of control over it. I also enjoyed that Peter having apparently come back from the dead freaks right the gently caress out about it and the idea that the Oz formula has made him immortal like Osborn instead of the usual "Welp back now time for a splash page and to forget about it completely".

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wait, so that was the real Parker after all? What was the explanation of his return?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wait, so that was the real Parker after all? What was the explanation of his return?

OZ. Remember Norman used the same stuff that made Peter Spiderman to turn him into the Green Goblin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

OZ. Remember Norman used the same stuff that made Peter Spiderman to turn him into the Green Goblin.

I'd still really like to see the math that explains why Human + Oz + Spider = Spider-like human, but Human + Oz + Human = giant green horned maniac.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'd still really like to see the math that explains why Human + Oz + Spider = Spider-like human, but Human + Oz + Human = giant green horned maniac.

It's the hair.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I took it to be an outer manifestation of what a giant arsehole Osborne is.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Madkal posted:

A giant, flaming arsehole.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

That only counts if Stanley Tucci says it in a German accent.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Say what you will against Jameson: the whole vendetta against Spidey, the Hitler mustache, wanting to always turn a profit...

...but the man has integrity, dammit! The kind that not even having Captain America drop by for a visit will change him.

Back a few years ago when I was working as a journalist, in a place where journalists lives are cheap, I always found a kind of consolation in that tirade. If J. Jonah Jameson is telling Ben Urich to not be afraid of the goddamn Kingpin, then surely I could do better. :unsmith:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kal-L posted:

Say what you will against Jameson: the whole vendetta against Spidey, the Hitler mustache, wanting to always turn a profit...

...but the man has integrity, dammit! The kind that not even having Captain America drop by for a visit will change him.

drat straight. If J. Jonah Jameson wants to stab you, he doesn't aim for the back. He'll do it to your face and won't care if you're Spider-man, Captain America or Thor.

There's no way he'd shake Spider-man's hand and then slink off to run a smear campaign. He would have told the Avengers to their faces what he thought of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Allan Heinberg also wrote a great Jonah scene in the first run of Young Avengers, where he lays out why he dislikes superheroes, but especially kid heroes to Kat Farrell.

That scene from Born Again is loving amazing, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Ultimate Jameson is a great character, and represents a side of classic Jameson a lot of modern writers seem to have forgotten.

Ironically, Bendis wrote an absolutely dreadful Jameson in his New Avengers run. He had the man go back on a handshake.

Bendis explained this as Jonah figured that since Spider-man hid behind his mask, the handshake meant nothing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That seems awful... I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is. Gamey? Contrived? Hypocritical, maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That seems awful... I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is. Gamey? Contrived? Hypocritical, maybe?

Bendisy?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Bendisy?
There we go.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I initially read this as Garney, and wondered what you had against former Captain America artist Ron Garney.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kal-L posted:

Back a few years ago when I was working as a journalist, in a place where journalists lives are cheap, I always found a kind of consolation in that tirade. If J. Jonah Jameson is telling Ben Urich to not be afraid of the goddamn Kingpin, then surely I could do better. :unsmith:
On the oither hand, if security at the Bugle is so lax that the Kingpin's goons can openly threaten it's employees I would be afraid to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alhazred posted:

On the oither hand, if security at the Bugle is so lax that the Kingpin's goons can openly threaten it's employees I would be afraid to.

Also the last time he did a kingpin story this happened.

Daredevil 179

Then he later did get stabbed.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 23, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Urich's big act of defiance in that story is actually say Daredevil's name.

Also, god do I want "There is no corpse..." to be in the Netflix show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"You live in a city where there's guys that can kill you by literally just saying a word and I will offer no protection whatsoever. But gently caress you if that poo poo gets to you for a moment."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
JJJ doesn't give a gently caress, he just creates a new super-villain to go after the people he's writing stories about :downs:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
"I've been talking poo poo about that mass-murder Spider-man for years and he hasn't killed me yet, there's nothing to be afraid of!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

"I've been talking poo poo about that mass-murder Spider-man for years and he hasn't killed me yet, there's nothing to be afraid of!"

Hey, the man's got conviction, he'll stick to his story and never change it. Jameson's just crafty about choosing his battles. It's Urich's fault he keeps trying to report on actual dangerous men.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Alhazred posted:

Alhazred posted:

"You live in a city where there's guys that can kill you by literally just saying a word and I will offer no protection whatsoever. But gently caress you if that poo poo gets to you for a moment."

There are real world journalists who do the same in worse circumstances. It comes with the job. If only every journalist could be issued a bulletproof vest and a ex-Spetnaz bodyguard!

And I think JJJ is more angry at Urich not realizing the bad people would come after him, for being too naive in the face of such danger and crumpling so easily without a second thought, when he's supposed to be a veteran journalist who's walked the mean streets of NYC, where superpowered homicidal crazies can jump at you at any moment.

JJJ has faced those same dangers, and while he hasn't fared as a paragon of bravery, that didn't stop him from trying to do his job.

Case in point: when Carnage first appeared, he kidnapped JJJ. After Spidey and Venom saved his sorry rear end, he got captured again... because he was looking for a phone to call the Bugle and tell them about the fight!

If J. Jonah Jameson can face an incredible danger to do his job, then Ben Urich can, too. :colbert:

I liked how in Ultimate Spider-Man JJJ became a way better editor (and person) after he let go of his hate of Spider-Man.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kal-L posted:

I liked how in Ultimate Spider-Man JJJ became a way better editor (and person) after he let go of his hate of Spider-Man.

From what I've read about it, this is pretty much the only redeeming thing to come out of that Ultimatum crossover. I haven't read it myself, but my understanding of what went down is that JJJ basically changed his stance on Spidey after all the big-name heroes ran off to fight Magneto and Dr. Doom to save the world while Spider-Man stayed in New York to try and save as many people as he could.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

W.T. Fits posted:

From what I've read about it, this is pretty much the only redeeming thing to come out of that Ultimatum crossover. I haven't read it myself, but my understanding of what went down is that JJJ basically changed his stance on Spidey after all the big-name heroes ran off to fight Magneto and Dr. Doom to save the world while Spider-Man stayed in New York to try and save as many people as he could.
Yeah, I just finished reading the Peter Parker Ultimate Spider-man run, and I thought it the Ultimatum portion of USM was pretty good (with JJJ being especially good).

Ulimate Spider-Man #131

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 26, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Can someone repost that bit where Betty Brant died and Jameson had to explain why he wouldn't be part of her outing Spider-Man?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Gavok posted:

Can someone repost that bit where Betty Brant died and Jameson had to explain why he wouldn't be part of her outing Spider-Man?
I just got to that part!

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #16.1

Ultimate Comics Spider-man #19

Ultimate JJJ probably had my favorite arc across what I've read of USM, and Ultimate Aunt May is one of my favorite comic characters at this point.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zero_Tactility posted:

I just got to that part!

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #16.1

Ultimate Comics Spider-man #19

Ultimate JJJ probably had my favorite arc across what I've read of USM, and Ultimate Aunt May is one of my favorite comic characters at this point.

And then Green Goblin/Bendis killed him. :smith: