Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yes, 190-200 at least. I've done some to 210 even. Also maybe brine it if it's too dry? Make sure you're not spraying any liquid on the meat surface during the cooking process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Efresh posted:

I've got a Weber smokey mountain and have mad a few attempts at doing brisket. But they have all come out tender, but horrible and dried out. Compared to the moist goodness I've had in Texas, this is garbage. Doesn't seems to matter where I hold the temperature 200F for 12-18h or 250F, result is the same. Am I cooking to the wrong internal temperature (180ish)?

The other possibility that occurred to me today is that being in Australia, grass-fed beef is much more common at the butcher but I believe feedlot beef is standard in the USA. Is the problem just that I've got crappy, lean brisket to start with?

Are you wrapping it when it hits 160*?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Efresh posted:

I've got a Weber smokey mountain and have mad a few attempts at doing brisket. But they have all come out tender, but horrible and dried out. Compared to the moist goodness I've had in Texas, this is garbage. Doesn't seems to matter where I hold the temperature 200F for 12-18h or 250F, result is the same. Am I cooking to the wrong internal temperature (180ish)?

The other possibility that occurred to me today is that being in Australia, grass-fed beef is much more common at the butcher but I believe feedlot beef is standard in the USA. Is the problem just that I've got crappy, lean brisket to start with?

Lookup the technique called the "Texas crutch". Also, cook it to at least 190, I go to 195 and the carryover usually takes me to 200. Basically, once the meat stalls, wrap it in foil and put it back in the smoker or oven until the internal temp hits 190+

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 6, 2015

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Does anyone have a CyberQ Wifi? I tried setting mine up but keep getting an 500 server error message (but the header is 200), when I hit it with a browser from my phone or computer. I got the same error message originally in adhoc mode.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
Thanks folks. I haven't been wrapping it, so I'll try that. I didn't want to go to higher temperatures because it was already drying out and I thought hotter would make it even worse.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Is a Smokenator really that good?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was able to make really good pulled pork on the Smokenator in the summer, but as soon as it got cooler (mid October) I had trouble maintaining temperature because the kettle grill is so thin. Or maybe I just had a sophomore slump. It basically proved that I want to get a real smoker / thicker vessel that can do smoking.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I'm a newbie and had a pretty easy time with mine. The main thing I learned is to get some binder clips to seal the lid - it really helps restrict airflow and control temps with the vents. I've only used it in warmer weather though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to smoke a couple of goat legs today. Never done goat this way, so I'm just sorta acting at random. Anything special I should know about goat?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm going to smoke a couple of goat legs today. Never done goat this way, so I'm just sorta acting at random. Anything special I should know about goat?

Too late I guess, but I just had a look here http://tvwbb.com/search.php?searchid=1640997

You have a trip report? I'd love to see pics.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Too late I guess, but I just had a look here http://tvwbb.com/search.php?searchid=1640997

You have a trip report? I'd love to see pics.

I dry rubbed one and brined the other. The brined one came out quite nice, but the dry rubbed one was fairly dry. I chucked it into the crockpot overnight, and it came out beautifully. I probably should have taken a picture when they were all cooked and beautiful on the bone, but now they just look like any other pile of pulled or sliced meat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually even the brined one seemed a bit dry today, so I chucked it in the crockpot as well. I just pulled some out, chopped it, and added some salt and green chile salsa to make a frankly amazing green chile goat taco. That may turn out to be the deployment strategy for both of these goat legs, in fact. It came out basically like a very tender, very spicy beef brisket but with a bit more character.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
I'm into the process of making a UBS, but the weather is lovely these days so the project is on hold until the sun shines again.
I had a question about cold smoking, salmon especially. I'd like to cure the salmon and then smoke it for a short amount of time, not exceeding 70 degrees celsius (so it doesn't cook), but I'm not really sure of how safe the salmon will be for consumption. Will I die if I eat it? A lot of people on youtube cure salmon in sugar and salt for 24 hours, then cold smoke it on 40 degrees celsius and eat it, but isn't there a huge risk of lysteria or some other poo poo.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So my friend wants to get into smoking meats and was looking up cheap starter smokers. Any notes or recommendations about any of these? The Masterbuilt is about his max but he wasn't looking for anything nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810...26082012&sr=1-6

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...50019659&rid=20

http://www.ideastage.com/Brinkmann-...rxFTBoCFN7w_wcB

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...IN%3DB00104WRCY

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I have the Masterbuilt and love it, but I would definitely recommend checking Craigslist, smokers are things people buy and use two or three times then sell for a third of the cost

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KettleWL posted:

I have the Masterbuilt and love it, but I would definitely recommend checking Craigslist, smokers are things people buy and use two or three times then sell for a third of the cost

Yup, used is the way to go. For that price range your friend might be able to get a Weber Smokey Mountain for a good price. Now is a good time of year to start looking too.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yup, used is the way to go. For that price range your friend might be able to get a Weber Smokey Mountain for a good price. Now is a good time of year to start looking too.

If you buy used though make sure that if it is electric that you turn it on and the element works. That is the part that breaks the most in them and some of them it is almost impossible to replace the element.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So my friend wants to get into smoking meats and was looking up cheap starter smokers. Any notes or recommendations about any of these? The Masterbuilt is about his max but he wasn't looking for anything nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810...26082012&sr=1-6

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...50019659&rid=20

http://www.ideastage.com/Brinkmann-...rxFTBoCFN7w_wcB

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...IN%3DB00104WRCY

I got that Brinkmann model for like $50 a couple years ago and it works great if you aren't too picky about the temp. I usually just smoke things for 2-3 hours and finish them with a beer crutch/braise in the oven anyways.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We don't have a meat curing thread, do we? I've just bought a bunch of gear for making homemade cured sausages, and I'm going to give it a shot once it gets just a bit cooler here. Autumn temperature and humidity seem to be just about right for cured meat products where I live (north of Sydney), so I'm going to try doing a small batch without a curing chamber and see what happens.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 13, 2015

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438423

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh cool, thanks!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Doing my first pork butt tomorrow - should I coat the meat in mustard or olive oil before applying the rub, or is it unnecessary?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I've tried both. I prefer the taste using oil. but that might just be me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IT BURNS posted:

Doing my first pork butt tomorrow - should I coat the meat in mustard or olive oil before applying the rub, or is it unnecessary?

Either one is good, so long as you play this song while you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypcs4c7ihSo

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Mister Blueberry posted:

I'm into the process of making a UBS, but the weather is lovely these days so the project is on hold until the sun shines again.
I had a question about cold smoking, salmon especially. I'd like to cure the salmon and then smoke it for a short amount of time, not exceeding 70 degrees celsius (so it doesn't cook), but I'm not really sure of how safe the salmon will be for consumption. Will I die if I eat it? A lot of people on youtube cure salmon in sugar and salt for 24 hours, then cold smoke it on 40 degrees celsius and eat it, but isn't there a huge risk of lysteria or some other poo poo.

I've cold smoked some salmon in the past and it is important to note that cold smoking, as far as I am aware, will NOT completely cure the meat and prevent decay (thus why lox are always refrigerated). The salt packing is what really prevents bacterial growth but again not entirely. That said if you keep it in the fridge/vacuum pack after production you should be fine for quite some time. Cold smoking will definitely slow decomposition but not to the same degree as a hot smoke will.

I also highly recommend trying hot-smoked salmon. That has become my preferred preparation and it is very good in every place a cold smoked salmon would be good in as well as others beyond.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Crazyeyes posted:

I also highly recommend trying hot-smoked salmon. That has become my preferred preparation and it is very good in every place a cold smoked salmon would be good in as well as others beyond.

I've been wanting to do this so badly, but salmon has been so expensive lately.

For anyone who is interested, costco has 20lb bags of traeger hickory wood pellets for $15. I was pretty ecstatic to find them, because there's only one other place in the whole area that sells cooking wood pellets, and they charge $5 more and are always out of hickory.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I haven't had a lot of luck finding info on this, but I was wondering if it might be possible to smoke rendered animal fat. Is it as simple as sticking some tallow in the smoker (in a dish) and letting it go? Will it cause (or speed up) rancidity in the final product?

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Crazyeyes posted:

I've cold smoked some salmon in the past and it is important to note that cold smoking, as far as I am aware, will NOT completely cure the meat and prevent decay (thus why lox are always refrigerated). The salt packing is what really prevents bacterial growth but again not entirely. That said if you keep it in the fridge/vacuum pack after production you should be fine for quite some time. Cold smoking will definitely slow decomposition but not to the same degree as a hot smoke will.

Thank you for the feedback, I will cure my first salmon tomorrow for my wife's birthday and will only serve it to HER friends and we'll see how that goes. I allready have bought salmon for the other guests.

I am of course kidding, and drat if i'm not the first person to try my lax.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Mister Blueberry posted:

Thank you for the feedback, I will cure my first salmon tomorrow for my wife's birthday and will only serve it to HER friends and we'll see how that goes. I allready have bought salmon for the other guests.

I am of course kidding, and drat if i'm not the first person to try my lax.

Let us know how it turns out. Every time I have cold smoked salmon I seem to have done something wrong as I do not get that silky smooth texture characteristic of commercially produced lox. If you manage to do so I would be very interested to learn how you did it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I also have not been able to reproduce that with normal salmon. Sockeye Salmon however is amazing and delicious, and you should cold smoke that instead of traditional.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have hot-smoked salmon a few times now and it is one of my favorite things but drat is it expensive. It really isn't "party food" unless you are using it as an ingredient in something else so you don't need a bunch. Or your rich.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

McSpankWich posted:

I also have not been able to reproduce that with normal salmon. Sockeye Salmon however is amazing and delicious, and you should cold smoke that instead of traditional.

Cold smoked Copper River Red Salmon, Ritz crackers, a little cream cheese and the salmon. Absolutely to die for.

You have to get GOOD wild caught salmon though. This is key.

DO NOT USE PINK SALMON. Pink salmon is "Dog Salmon" although in reality Alaskans refuse to feed such poor quality salmon to their dogs.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Zaepho posted:

Cold smoked Copper River Red Salmon, Ritz crackers, a little cream cheese and the salmon. Absolutely to die for.

You have to get GOOD wild caught salmon though. This is key.

DO NOT USE PINK SALMON. Pink salmon is "Dog Salmon" although in reality Alaskans refuse to feed such poor quality salmon to their dogs.

I totally agree. There are dialect problems. though - Salmon have different names depending on where you are in Alaska, B.C., or Washington, and what marketing wizard is working his magic atm.

Pinks/humpbacks and farmed Atlantics -> don't bother. Dog food for sure.
Chums (a.k.a. Dog Salmon in B.C.)/silverbrites -> really good smoked, better than other uses, especially if the fish were caught close to fresh water.
Coho/Bluebacks/Silvers -> good smoked, but better in other preparations.
Chinooks/Kings/Springs -> similar to coho.
Sockeye/Reds -> Really, really good any way you prepare them.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
First pastrami. It went well. Total cooking time was 15 hours, with the last hour in the oven in foil. The texture is slightly dry but flavor is fantastic.

Soaking in clear water to remove some of the brine I just spent 9 days putting in.

About 5 hours into the smoke.

Out of the oven finally. A small piece was removed for QA testing.

Chilled for 12 hours then steamed for 2 and sliced.

Gratuitous closeup.

The payoff.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Economic Sinkhole posted:

First pastrami. It went well. Total cooking time was 15 hours, with the last hour in the oven in foil. The texture is slightly dry but flavor is fantastic.

Soaking in clear water to remove some of the brine I just spent 9 days putting in.

Gratuitous closeup.

The payoff.

Good work!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Gratuitous closeup.

The payoff.

That looks great. Any details on the brine/rub? What kind of wood you use and what temp did you pull it?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
That is very pretty.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Crazyeyes posted:

That looks great. Any details on the brine/rub? What kind of wood you use and what temp did you pull it?

Thanks. I tried to follow Meathead Goldwyn's recipe as close as possible. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

The brine was

quote:

1 gallon water
8 ounces salt, by weight
3 teaspoons Prague Powder #1 (6.25% nitrite salt)
1 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons pickling spices
4 cloves garlic, smashed or pressed

The rub then being

quote:

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

Smoke wood was apple because that's all I had on hand, about 6oz or so spread out over the first half of the smoke. I pulled it off the WSM and finished it inside because it was 1 AM and my charcoal was burning out. Finish temp was 190.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Protip -

I read online that Katz deli recommends you boil their pastrami if you buy it from their store. I've found that this method great for my pastrami too (once smoked and cooled) as otherwise when I try steam it it always comes out too dry.

Seriously try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Local butcher is selling USDA Prime baby back ribs for 2.99/lb.

Goddamn i wish i had a bigger freezer.