Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Followed a few hearses around. My biggest complaint with the game is they seem to randomly go all over the city, and pass up bodies on the way. In combination with the population all living exactly the same amount of time, this leads to spikes of dead people waiting transport that lasts for *years*. There's no traffic problems impeding them. Perhaps it goes by time of death? I suspect the other services do this too. Eagerly awaiting the (inevitable) mod to change this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sipher posted:

Followed a few hearses around. My biggest complaint with the game is they seem to randomly go all over the city, and pass up bodies on the way. In combination with the population all living exactly the same amount of time, this leads to spikes of dead people waiting transport that lasts for *years*. There's no traffic problems impeding them. Perhaps it goes by time of death? I suspect the other services do this too. Eagerly awaiting the (inevitable) mod to change this.

I noticed huge spikes of rotting corpses too, it's pretty annoying.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sipher posted:

Combined metro/bus terminal working well. Currently servicing about 6000 people a week with an 80k population. I need to combine it with rail, now, but the map is hilly and it's hard to build.

That banana stand is loving deserted :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The behavior makes sense to me if you set up your city like I do: massive amounts of residential areas, especially high capacity, with a boom of adult influx. I've noticed my death graph works in cyclical generations as it should.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the typical percentage of people that should be using a combined commuter system anyway? I can never seem to go above ~10% in my games even after making it free and attempting to optimize the lines

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a reason to build more than one bus depot? Is there a cap on the number of lines per depot or anything like that?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the typical percentage of people that should be using a combined commuter system anyway? I can never seem to go above ~10% in my games even after making it free and attempting to optimize the lines

That's a gently caress load. The weekly commuters are how many people are on a train over the course of an in game week, so for you that means like 10% of your population is riding a train at basically any given time.

Shab posted:

Is there a reason to build more than one bus depot? Is there a cap on the number of lines per depot or anything like that?

Buses spawn from them. I made a few on my 25 tile map because it would take my buses a very long time to drive all the way to their routes. In most instances, no, you don't need more than one. As far as I'm aware a single depot can spawn a billion buses.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2015

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
This sunken plaza park looks pretty cool in your highly developed businessy-looking areas.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410150158

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Sipher posted:

Combined metro/bus terminal working well. Currently servicing about 6000 people a week with an 80k population. I need to combine it with rail, now, but the map is hilly and it's hard to build.

Mate you don't need all those metro stations, the Cims will happily walk across the road.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Chill la Chill posted:

I shoot for 10-12%. My city on Fish Fry Andy's map right now is running at 12.5% with 85k people.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ad by Khad posted:

I shoot for 10-12%. My city on Fish Fry Andy's map right now is running at 12.5% with 85k people.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That's a gently caress load. The weekly commuters are how many people are on a train over the course of an in game week, so for you that means like 10% of your population is riding a train at basically any given time.
Thanks. I thought it would somehow go higher the denser my population was - I made a ton of high rises instead of houses. It just somehow feels off to only see 10% of 250k people riding the rails when my city p much looks and feels like NYC. I know it's not a true simulation but assuming my real population is at least an order of magnitude higher than it states (lol at 30 family high rises), it doesn't feel enough.

Ok I just looked up NYC and Hong Kong riderships and i guess the number is a lot closer to reality than I thought. HK especially is a modern, efficient so I won't assume I can achieve anywhere near that number. assuming NYC's broken up ridership, since you can't transfer for free in a lot of places, it approaches 16% if, like in-game, the rider goes through 2 rides to work and back.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 24, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Forgive me if this has already come up, but is it at all possible to mod parks to be zonable? It seems annoying that if I have an oddly shaped plot of land I have to build something there or just leave it blank rather than being able to turn it into a little green.

It also doesn't help that the stock parks are all enormous.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Why not make your own park in the asset editor? Edit: I suggest this since I don't know the answer to your question.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jamfrost posted:

Why not make your own park in the asset editor?

Because I assume I am too terrible to do that. Modding tools scare me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

No one is too terrible to make parks. It's fun and easy.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Inspector_666 posted:

They made it pretty easy to create simple things using what they already have without even having to import any kind of files. Take a look.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inspector_666 posted:

It's really easy and there are almost a thousand parks in the workshop as well.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
It is pretty annoying that most of the default parks don't fit into the standard grid, though.

Edit:

Supposedly you can rotate pre-built items like highway interchanges with the right mouse button, but it seems super random and the placement moves too instead of objects rotating in place. Am I missing something about this?

onionradish fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 24, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

onionradish posted:

It is pretty annoying that most of the default parks don't fit into the standard grid, though.

And generally look like poop.

I'm fairly sure this was an intentional implementation to function as a gateway drug for getting people into modding.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

onionradish posted:

Edit:

Supposedly you can rotate pre-built items like highway interchanges with the right mouse button, but it seems super random and the placement moves too instead of objects rotating in place. Am I missing something about this?

If you just right click, it will rotate 45 degrees. If you hold right click, you can move around and rotate it smoothly.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Tindahbawx posted:

Mate you don't need all those metro stations, the Cims will happily walk across the road.

Each line services a different part of the city; they're not connected.

In the midst of a 15,000 person die off, sigh.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sipher posted:

Each line services a different part of the city; they're not connected.

In the midst of a 15,000 person die off, sigh.

Any chance you can post a pic of your death services overlay? Purely curiosity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Which LUT does this screenshot from the OP use? (There was a post in which the poster said, but hosed if I can find it any more)

I need my game to look like this all the time

Edit:

deadly_pudding posted:

That banana stand is loving deserted :allears:

There's money in that banana stand :colbert:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 24, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KKKlean Energy posted:

Which LUT does this screenshot from the OP use? (There was a post in which the poster said, but hosed if I can find it any more)

That's the Photoreal LUT on the workshop. It only looks like that with tropical maps, though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

KKKlean Energy posted:

I think that's
Photoreal Color Correction

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

TheQat posted:

Any chance you can post a pic of your death services overlay? Purely curiosity

Seems pretty well dispersed, imo

And traffic. I've been trying to max out highway capacity with careful ramp placement. I think this is close to it. Tons of cars but it flows full speed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This made me laugh

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that's interesting. i don't know why, but i've never really seen a mass die-off like that. I wonder if it's just because I play slowly

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Yeah, that's likely why. After I hit about 70k I started zoning huge swaths at a time. My population graph definitely reflects that, it's fairly steady while I was zoning in bits and pieces, and then you can see the huge spike and subsequent die offs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, what I usually do (even if I have a lot of stuff to zone) is zone a little bit, unpause, let it build somewhat, pause, keep zoning. Haven't seen mass die-offs yet.

That way you don't have to gently caress about with putting down poo poo tons of power lines either, buildings are fine for a bit without power anyway.

Slickdrac posted:

If you just right click, it will rotate 45 degrees. If you hold right click, you can move around and rotate it smoothly.

Whaaaaaaaaaat goddamn I've been struggling with that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, I only really noticed the die-offs when practically all of my high-density residential hit fully upgraded.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Rift Island (made by a goon itt) is really great. I had to rework the transit system a bit but the geometry and everything else is fantastic.

Map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413204253

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I started getting worried once my city got big and I started seeing sudden -5s and -10s and such, and then I realized it was people who had originally moved in finally dying of old age and I felt a mix of :unsmith: and :(

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's really easy and there are almost a thousand parks in the workshop as well.

Making little parks is fun! I made one yesterday out of trash elements, need to make a few more for industrial areas.

The editor does have odd values for price and entertainment, so you may want to step that down a bit. The only downside is they don't seem to get icons in the UI, so you should be careful when naming.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jet Jaguar posted:

Making little parks is fun! I made one yesterday out of trash elements, need to make a few more for industrial areas.

The editor does have odd values for price and entertainment, so you may want to step that down a bit. The only downside is they don't seem to get icons in the UI, so you should be careful when naming.

You can 100% make UI icons. I'm not sure how, but it's possible.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Egypt is building a new capital, traffic in Cairo being one of the major reasons why - traffic costs Egypt like 4% of their GDP or something, lotsa service vehicles being held up apparently!

But then in the scale model they have things like this:

How are you going to have a stadium + stadium parking literally right off the major thoroughfare like that lol that road is going to be backed up for quite a ways.

For reference:

I don't really get why they're planning a new city because of lovely traffic and overcrowding in Cairo but then they just plan a grid hell.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Egypt is building a new capital, traffic in Cairo being one of the major reasons why - traffic costs Egypt like 4% of their GDP or something, lotsa service vehicles being held up apparently!

But then in the scale model they have things like this:

How are you going to have a stadium + stadium parking literally right off the major thoroughfare like that lol that road is going to be backed up for quite a ways.

For reference:

I don't really get why they're planning a new city because of lovely traffic and overcrowding in Cairo but then they just plan a grid hell.

They should get us to design their traffic systems.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Welcome to Mars, Colonist.

Shores of Utopia Planitia

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413390689

FINALLY DONE, or as much as I can tolerate after yesterday's snafu. I think it's much much better now in any case! Here's the changelog:

quote:

----------- CHANGES FROM THE BETA MAP ----------

- New Starting location! You now start by the lake shore.

- Reworked resources map. Now all regions have resources to exploit. Mostly ores thanks to the fallen meteors. Rumors abound by biologists of bacterial deposits somewhere in the region?

- Currents! No more stale water for differing lake heights.

- Pine trees! More varieties to the forest areas.

- More greenery around watered spots.

- Flattened a lot of the playable areas (while keeping the plateaus) to make it less cumbersome to build through.

- Railway is now a bit farther because of the new starting location to reward expansion.

Also if anyone could tell me if there getting a negative cash bug at the beginning? It was fine when I tested before publishing, but it's just to make sure. I was getting - 3 million something for some reason, but apparently fixed it by retaking a snapshot for the game preview from inside the border of the starting area (don't ask).

Next to come : Martian architecture!

I'll start with a small spaceport :unsmith:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StarMinstrel posted:

I love your map but if you can do that I'll love you too.

(I have no idea at all how it could be done or if it could be done but habitat domes would be awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

StarMinstrel posted:

Welcome to Mars, Colonist.

Shores of Utopia Planitia

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413390689

FINALLY DONE, or as much as I can tolerate after yesterday's snafu. I think it's much much better now in any case! Here's the changelog:

Also if anyone could tell me if there getting a negative cash bug at the beginning? It was fine when I tested before publishing, but it's just to make sure. I was getting - 3 million something for some reason, but apparently fixed it by retaking a snapshot for the game preview from inside the border of the starting area (don't ask).

Have some rear end in a top hat demolishing your poo poo with a space hammer as a disaster