Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Gorman Thomas posted:

I have 4 (maybe 5) weddings to attend in the next year and I'm a +1 at all if them. :negative:

I'm hoping that at least this will sour my gf on the whole idea of a huge wedding.

If it does not, you know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Gorman Thomas posted:

I have 4 (maybe 5) weddings to attend in the next year and I'm a +1 at all if them. :negative:

I'm hoping that at least this will sour my gf on the whole idea of a huge wedding.

It very well might. But it's the parents you really gotta watch out for.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gorman Thomas posted:

This could backfire if she's competitive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's the healthcare bubble and the education bubble, so I guess there's probably a wedding bubble. It's already started to pop if you're a wedding photographer. Just remains to be seen if any other part can start a race to the bottom. My guess is tent rental. 7k to rent a tent for one night. Not buy - rent. And then they tried to upsale the groom on special coverings to hide the tent poles. Because for 7k you got the ugly tent.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's the healthcare bubble and the education bubble, so I guess there's probably a wedding bubble. It's already started to pop if you're a wedding photographer. Just remains to be seen if any other part can start a race to the bottom. My guess is tent rental. 7k to rent a tent for one night. Not buy - rent. And then they tried to upsale the groom on special coverings to hide the tent poles. Because for 7k you got the ugly tent.

I'm not sure what you think a bubble is or why these industries are in one.

Median wedding cost just moves with general economic trends. It rose less than inflation the last two years. In 2009, it fell.

Education bubble is basically indistinguishable from the housing bubble in cause, but has some pros and cons from the eventual recession it'll cause: less capital resources are lost from horrible allocation choices and fixing it is literally as simple as printing money/raising taxes and forgiving debt (which they already do with federal loans now after you can basically prove you're going to be poor for 10-25 years), versus tearing down a bunch of half-built projects to build new ones a few years later.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Has there ever been a smoothie derail?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BossRighteous posted:

Has there ever been a smoothie derail?

Blending poo poo with not your teeth is bad with money.

Is this what you're hoping for?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

I'm not sure what you think a bubble is or why these industries are in one.

Median wedding cost just moves with general economic trends. It rose less than inflation the last two years. In 2009, it fell.

Education bubble is basically indistinguishable from the housing bubble in cause, but has some pros and cons from the eventual recession it'll cause: less capital resources are lost from horrible allocation choices and fixing it is literally as simple as printing money/raising taxes and forgiving debt (which they already do with federal loans now after you can basically prove you're going to be poor for 10-25 years), versus tearing down a bunch of half-built projects to build new ones a few years later.

Really? I was under the impression wedding costs have been increasing higher than the rate of inflation. Granted, now that I'm looking, I'm finding surprisingly little data on past averages. In fact, I can't find anything that predates 2008. Most everything earlier than that is anecdotal, which is really odd. Maybe there are too many variables to accurately make averages.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

A few websites do average costs but average wedding costs are massively skewed towards major cities and outliers (the average may be 28k, but the median is 14k, for instance).

A wedding bubble would be a massive run on wedding services companies and massive construction on venues, but neither really happened. The reason photographers got pinched is basically a)it's hard to tell if they're any good so b) cheap alternatives who suck soak up the market and good photographers don't drop their prices for weddings because they suck to do.

We had an ok photographer. Mostly our contention was that everyone high prices wanted to own the copywriter, as a bunch of wedding services conferences have informed them to hold every picture hostage for more money. gently caress that. After living through one massive loving storm that destroyed every photo my wife and her family ever owned, if I couldn't have 5 digital prints in 5 locations, I wasn't paying for it.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We had a really great wedding photographer and her assistant for both engagement, preview, and wedding photos. All together cost <$1500 but the big thing was we got full reproduction rights to the complete raw and cleanup sets in full res. The Videographer had the same gig going and it was well beyond worth it for $4k between them both. Independent people have really good deals if you take the time to vet them and meet with them (free coffee too).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

We had a really great wedding photographer and her assistant for both engagement, preview, and wedding photos. All together cost <$1500 but the big thing was we got full reproduction rights to the complete raw and cleanup sets in full res. The Videographer had the same gig going and it was well beyond worth it for $4k between them both. Independent people have really good deals if you take the time to vet them and meet with them (free coffee too).

I can understand why clients would want the RAW files, as a photographer I would be extremely reluctant to hand them over though; having any potential crappy retouches floating around out there that Uncle Nikon did, with your name associated with them (either implicitly or explicitly) can be a huge potential liability for your image/brand. It doesn't matter what a client promises to do (or not do, as the case may be) with them, it's not really worth the potential downside. Full-res, low compression JPGs (or TIFF's, if they insist) I would pretty much insist on, I think the client should have the last word over how they want them printed and in what format, and that aspect of photography/the business holds no interest for me anyways. (I realise JPGs can be messed with too, but I'd still better not handing over the RAWs.)

I did shoot a wedding for a co-worker for exactly this reason (she had an MFA and was our in-house image retoucher, nobody who wasn't terrible would give her the RAWs to retouch as she saw fit), gave her the RAWs and actually did no post myself.

I agreed to do it super cheap because she was a colleague/Fine Arts grad/recent-ish immigrant from Eastern Europe, I assumed money was tight... found out the groom was a doctor at the ceremony, which was held at a big country club/horse farm thing that they rented out. Good with money on their part, I guess :negative: She also never gave me back the original Polaroids I took with my large format camera, some of them I wanted for my portfolio.

I'm a lot more reluctant to do photo stuff for friends these days than I was in my early 20's.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 24, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I can understand why clients would want the RAW files, as a photographer I would be extremely reluctant to hand them over though; having any potential crappy retouches floating around out there that Uncle Nikon did, with your name associated with them (either implicitly or explicitly) can be a huge potential liability for your image/brand.

I see it from both sides, but in my mind it is work for hire and some of the shots that were taken would never be worth touching up as a photographer, but are really nice photos of secondary/tertiary guests so those were great to thumb through. We asked everyone to trust the photographer and refrain from personal photo taking during the ceremony, so the tradeoff was making sure we had a good depth of photos. We talked about it a lot and having both been art school graduates, we agreed verbally not to share her work outside of personal prints and family sharing. She maintained control of her work to the outside world, and we gained control of her work for the personal record keeping. It was a great relationship overall. She still culled the blurry and just plain bad shots and I appreciate that if anything.

Also we ran into situations she chose sepia tones for the touchups, but I am not at all a sepia tone/B+W fan so it was great to have the option even though the touchups looked amazing.

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 24, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
As a former photo student, I'm so glad I switched majors - photography that actually pays the bills nearly universally sucks to do. I work literally 80% less hard at my corporate job for 400% more money.

Having someone berate me because I dared to charge $4k for a wedding or something (of course I have to pay taxes on that, as well as pay for equipment and business expenses) is beyond the pale. I hope every bride in this country that cheaps out on a photographer gets Uncle Jimmy with an SLR quality photos

That $1,500 mentioned earlier is not a sustainable rate and that photographer will surely be out of business soon (loving LOL at a revenue of $78K assuming you shoot literally every weekend, which is impossible). Those are the kinds of folks that kill the industry. Good with money for getting it done cheap, though.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 24, 2015

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
With the glut of unemployment, arts grads, low cost of materials, and just the ease of advertising there are tons of fields where that's a problem. If you try to do freelance IT work and charge a fair rate, have professional looking documents to sign, etc. people won't want to deal with you. There's always some 22 year old PC gamer willing to wing it for $20 or some other ridiculous rate that isn't even worth getting out of bed for.

It's a shame, freelance work used to be a nice way to pick up some extra cash, but now I don't even bother unless it's a professional client who wants to pay for experience/certifications/quality work.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It helps to be very clear with your photographer. I specified no hdr, no sepia, no cutesy bullshit. I picked the guy for his excellent composition and asked for tiffs and a few select raws for use in painting / printing references. It was about 1000 for an hour of shooting. It was enough time for shots of the ceremony, group shots, and the beginning of dinner. It helps to only have 20 people total at the wedding though and all at a single venue.
I can understand the allure of having a photographer around during the entire event to get some interesting candid shots but I personally don't feel like it'd worth the money to have someone available as a "just in case"

I'm really happy that all of my friends have gone the super small wedding route. Most friends eloped and those who didn't ran a very tight guest list. Maybe it is an overall symptom of how expensive it is to have a wedding in a city though.

I was starting to feel a bit weird and bad that I've never been a brides maid but after all the stories of expensive dresses and flights and parties I'm thankful I haven't been asked.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Organizing a bachelor party in Vegas when we're all Canadian... :argh:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Courthouse wedding. Backyard barbecue.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

NancyPants posted:

My parents did it that way and my mom wouldn't stand to let her ~only daughter~ do it that way too.

But then they chipped in a bunch so I guess that worked out. Still, if I had to do it again, pizza and a courthouse.

The bachelorette party ended up being a lunch with my Maid of Honor where we had to split the check (it wasn't a very expensive place). I was honestly a little peeved, but she was a moderately poor student so I didn't give her poo poo for it. I guess she was good with money?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bad with money: How Do I Become a Millionaire, also I want to buy a Lambo or maybe a Tesla

reddit user /u/Kubiedo posted:

Scenario 1) I am a major car enthusiast. I have loved cars all my life and my dream car is a lamborghini gallardo. I have already calculated the total cost to own one which includes $6k a year for maintenance. I am mechanically inclined, and have the capability to do most of the work myself. I would finance probably 50k-70k of the car at 3.5% for 60 months.

Scenario 2) Buy a tesla, probably finance at 50k-70k at 3.5% for 60 months again. Same thing with the insurance. The difference is I don’t have to pay for gas.

Scenario 3) Purchase a house. This is probably the biggest purchase I’ll ever make. Of course I would probably buy a house in my price range, and then later in life, buy a bigger house unless I’m extremely comfortable in the house I am in.

Scenario 4) Purchase a multi-family unit, and live in one of the units. My parents own rental property, and my significant other plans to become a realtor, but if we do take this route, and start to amass more property, she would become a full time property manager.

Guy wants to become a millionaire, plans to do so include buying a Lambo (and doing the maintenance himself???) or a Tesla, or becoming a slumlord.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

NancyPants posted:

Spoken agreement and handshake. Village ceremony with transfer of assets (goat for daughter).

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

The Mandingo posted:

Bad with money: How Do I Become a Millionaire, also I want to buy a Lambo or maybe a Tesla

Guy wants to become a millionaire, plans to do so include buying a Lambo (and doing the maintenance himself???) or a Tesla, or becoming a slumlord.

I do not think he understands how maintenance on a super car works.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I lost $650,000 today :thumbsup:

Spoiled gently caress that I am, years ago my Dad "bought me" a $300,000 condo and had a $350,000 trust he was leaving for me. One week into his retirement, he decided he needed it all back. Oopsy!

I start paying him rent on April 1st. Family <3

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Spoiled gently caress that I am, years ago my Dad "bought me" a $300,000 condo and had a $350,000 trust he was leaving for me. One week into his retirement, he decided he needed it all back. Oopsy!

See this is why gifts of things like housing should be deeded in your name if you should choose to accept them, so you can't have the rug of your house pulled out from under you like that

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Lost" is being used pretty loosely here.

I also lost $650,000 today.

Unspoiled gently caress that I am, my parents never "bought me" a $300,00 condo and never had a $350,000 trust they were leaving for me.

I've been paying rent for the last 5 years. Family <3

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So, you start paying him rent on April fools day?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

playing chicken and telling him to evict you sounds good with money to me

maybe you could even be granted joint ownership in court against your dad!!

I'm mostly joking but you genuinely are taking a loss if you planned your finances around it and you probably shouldn't just start paying rent without complaint, especially if you spent money maintaining the condo, paying property tax, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 24, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Adverse possession :twisted:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's cool. People make 650k budget projection mistakes all the time. Seems totally reasonable and something impossible for him to foresee.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
*totals lamborghini*

My old man 's a TV repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My dad did something like this to me, except he only took the money back after I had lost my job and wanted to use it so I wouldn't be homeless.

So he could go on vacation to Mexico and HK.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

So, you start paying him rent on April fools day?

Ssssh. Don't ruin his dad's joke.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
So much talk about weddings so I need to link this article because :wtc:

quote:

According to The Knot's annual Real Weddings Study, the average cost of a wedding (excluding the honeymoon) reached an all-time high of $31,213 in 2014.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102500167

That's the average cost which is putting weddings into the student loan sized debt.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Guys guys guys guys guys.

Wedding. Loans.

Someone do the paperwork, we got ourselves another bubble to build up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
A few weeks ago I saw a p2p loan go up with the guy asking for $8000 just to buy a wedding ring.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
95% of the money we spent on our wedding we received back in cash gifts for our honeymoon (mostly from our parents).

Wedding... equity?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

We had an ok photographer. Mostly our contention was that everyone high prices wanted to own the copywriter, as a bunch of wedding services conferences have informed them to hold every picture hostage for more money. gently caress that. After living through one massive loving storm that destroyed every photo my wife and her family ever owned, if I couldn't have 5 digital prints in 5 locations, I wasn't paying for it.

That's not copyright, loads of excellent photographers these days will sign off printing/reproduction rights for nothing. They just don't want people loving with the images, trying to make money off them, or getting into legal issues from trying to self-promote with blog posts and portfolios. These days it's definitely Bad With Money to go with one who makes you order every print from their upcharged "professional quality" printing service (but it's Bad With Photography to give away copyright).

My wedding was pretty expensive. I don't have the exact numbers because my wife's parents paid for a substantial portion, but the bill probably a bit under $15,000 for the whole package. I can't imagine how the average wedding is twice that... I wonder what the median cost is.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 24, 2015

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Good with money marry a girl with a rich, traditionalist father?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

disheveled posted:

My wedding was pretty expensive. I don't have the exact numbers because my wife's parents paid for a substantial portion, but the bill probably a bit under $15,000 for the whole package. I can't imagine how the average wedding is twice that... I wonder what the median cost is.

Same here, and we had full open bar for 5 hours, dinner service, DJ, photography and videography, basic wait staff. We had about 75 people, but per person price for food and drink was less than $35 each. That scales up pretty well. God only knows what elaborate productions people pay for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Good with money marry a girl with a rich, traditionalist father?

Even that has its risks. My sister and her boyfriend were going to have a nice, modest wedding until our dad offered to pay for it and kept urging them to "make it special". Their budget ended up around $75,000. Then today he told her he can't afford to pay for it anymore :thumbsup:

Their wedding is a week from tomorrow so there's no way to get any of their deposits back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My wife's coworker was engaged. They sunk about 20k into pre-wedding parties and wedding costs before she called the whole thing off because she didn't like how meddling his parents were.

She called it off less than a month away from the ceremony so I doubt they got much if any of that deposit money back.

• Locked thread