Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Eggnogium posted:

That's cool and all but we were talking about this week's episode which has a pretty left wing thesis.

I think he was responding to that poster saying they wanted Joffe-Walt to do a Serial series.

axolotl farmer posted:

the lf opinion is that Planet Money are libertarian shills or something

Planet Money and Joffe-Walt in particular are pretty blatantly neoliberal and pro-austerity and maintain enormous conflicts of interest. The disability piece was literally funded by an insurance conglomerate. Planet Money itself's sole sponsor, unless it's changed recently, is Ally Bank; probably one of the worst offenders of the toxic subprime loan bullshit. Planet Money sucks and Joffe-Walt is not a good journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

the lf opinion is that Planet Money are libertarian shills or something

More or less.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Well that's certainly a bunch of vague accusations, characterization and out of context quotes.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Planet money is interesting and reasonable most of the time. Sometimes its cool to listen to things and be like 'hey i disagree but now i understand that perspective'. But i guess thats the Neoliberal Lizard Race controlling my opinions

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Danger posted:

Planet Money itself's sole sponsor, unless it's changed recently, is Ally Bank; probably one of the worst offenders of the toxic subprime loan bullshit. Planet Money sucks and Joffe-Walt is not a good journalist.

I haven't heard them claim sponsorship by Ally Bank in a while, now it's just your standard podcast sponsors like Squarespace.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

zakharov posted:

edit: ugh I'm reading the Reddit comments about this episode and it's awful.

quote:

Reddit comments

quote:

awful

Were you expecting anything else?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Modern Leper posted:

Well that's certainly a bunch of vague accusations, characterization and out of context quotes.

Shame Project is my favorite thing because it's literally the political version of "I HEARD ABBY SAID YOU WERE A SLUT".

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

C-Euro posted:

I haven't heard them claim sponsorship by Ally Bank in a while, now it's just your standard podcast sponsors like Squarespace.

NPR as a whole is really sketchy with transparency regarding their corporate sponsors. But by all means, continue enjoying the "post-ideology" schlock being peddled by the fuckin' Gates Foundation and the whose who of players from the financial meltdown I guess.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

If you're satisfied with Adam Davidson's reportage far be it from me to sully your enjoyment of a financial show underwritten by a bank.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Unless your only source for news is Mother Jones or Adbusters, I'm not sure how this is a new concern or one exclusive to Planet Money. GSK and Novo Nordisk sponsor health coverage; BP sponsors energy reporting. "Editorial and Sales: the uneasy truce" has been the reality in reporting since newscasters had to do Marlboro spots during live broadcasts.

Watermelon City posted:

If you're satisfied with Adam Davidson's reportage far be it from me to sully your enjoyment of a financial show underwritten by a bank.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Does it need to be a new concern or one exclusive to Planet Money?

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Planet Money has fun episodes on things like the secondary markets of Magic cards or Air Jordan sneakers that make it worth listening to. The examinations of small industries or companies that work in interesting ways are usually good listens.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Watermelon City posted:

Does it need to be a new concern or one exclusive to Planet Money?

It doesn't, but I haven't seen these types of targeted accusations pointed at the hosts of "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered," which present themselves as more comprehensive objective news sources.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Modern Leper posted:

It doesn't, but I haven't seen these types of targeted accusations pointed at the hosts of "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered," which present themselves as more comprehensive objective news sources.

so you're claiming that, like, steve inskeep has the same level of editorial control over morning edition as davidson and joffe-walt do over their little podcast? :lol:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so you're claiming that, like, steve inskeep has the same level of editorial control over morning edition as davidson and joffe-walt do over their little podcast? :lol:

Yes, because my central point was that Steve Inskeep, personally, is driving the news cycle. Honestly, it IS ridiculous to say that the "anchors" of these shows have no influence on the tone and tenor, but my point is that no one's attacking the fact that a number of the "desks" on these "legitimate" news programs are similarly sponsored by companies with an interest in how stories in that field are presented.

And whoever said it earlier is right - the best PM episodes are generally the pop-economic type of stories anyway - see the one about the 11 year old entrepreneur in Detroit.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

my point is that no one's attacking the fact that a number of the "desks" on these "legitimate" news programs are similarly sponsored by companies with an interest in how stories in that field are presented.

please cite the study(ies) you are referring to that show this to be the case

edit: actually never mind, im not helping this get back on topic

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

What did everyone think of #551? I really enjoyed the opening segment, and the one on underwater cave diving made me feel claustrophobic.

Ben Calhoun posted:

But can we just stop for a second? Just stop. And I know that this is going to sound super earnest, and I'm real sorry about that.
Made me crack a wry smile, the same way chilly Lutherans might after a particularly ribald Garrison Keillor bit.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Watermelon City posted:

What did everyone think of #551? I really enjoyed the opening segment, and the one on underwater cave diving made me feel claustrophobic.

Made me crack a wry smile, the same way chilly Lutherans might after a particularly ribald Garrison Keillor bit.

The opening segment was definitely a repeat, so I stopped listening. Are there actually new segments, or is it updates of previous stories?

Fake EDIT: "Good Guys" - Ep 515 (01/10/2014). Looks like they replaced Act 4. 2014:

Deep Dark Open Secret

In 2009, a U.S. soldier contacted our show and offered to send audio dispatches from his deployment in Afghanistan, to do a story about what it's really like to go to war. But what he learned when he was over there was way more personal and honest than we, or he, expected. Producer Sarah Koenig explains. Note: Ira warns listeners that this story may not be appropriate for children.

2015:

The Test

Radio producer Scott Carrier quit his job at a low moment in his life. His wife left him and took the kids. And he got a job interviewing schizophrenics for some medical researchers. After doing it a while, he began to wonder if he was a schizophrenic himself. Scott has a new podcast called Home of the Brave.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
The schizophrenics bit is really weirding me out. The guy's voice doesn't help.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

LittleFuryThings posted:

The schizophrenics bit is really weirding me out. The guy's voice doesn't help.

He talks like Huck from Scandal. That definitely makes me think he has some crazy inside of him.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Watermelon City posted:

I don't know why but that diving segment is utterly riveting even though it's the second time I've listened to it. Maybe its because I can only visualize the environment that it describes as being utterly alien and divorced from anything that I will ever experience, so the whole thing makes me feel like I'm listening to an astronaut exploring another planet. Or Will Navidson exploring his house.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

I don't know why but that diving segment is utterly riveting even though it's the second time I've listened to it. Maybe its because I can only visualize the environment that it describes as being utterly alien and divorced from anything that I will ever experience, so the whole thing makes me feel like I'm listening to an astronaut exploring another planet. Or Will Navidson exploring his house.

You will likely enjoy The Telegraph's article, Ghosts of the abyss: the story of Don Shirley and Dave Shaw

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah, jesus christ I don't have claustrophobia but I felt really uncomfortable listening to that whole segment. Funny you mentioned HoL cause I was thinking of that too.

Also, I wish Scott Carrier still did pieces for TAL :(

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Modern Leper posted:

The opening segment was definitely a repeat, so I stopped listening. Are there actually new segments, or is it updates of previous stories?

Fake EDIT: "Good Guys" - Ep 515 (01/10/2014). Looks like they replaced Act 4. 2014:

Deep Dark Open Secret

In 2009, a U.S. soldier contacted our show and offered to send audio dispatches from his deployment in Afghanistan, to do a story about what it's really like to go to war. But what he learned when he was over there was way more personal and honest than we, or he, expected. Producer Sarah Koenig explains. Note: Ira warns listeners that this story may not be appropriate for children.

2015:

The Test

Radio producer Scott Carrier quit his job at a low moment in his life. His wife left him and took the kids. And he got a job interviewing schizophrenics for some medical researchers. After doing it a while, he began to wonder if he was a schizophrenic himself. Scott has a new podcast called Home of the Brave.

You might be interested in Act I from Episode 37: The Job That Takes Over Your Life (Original airdate September 27, 1996)

This American Life posted:

The Test

Radio producer Scott Carrier quit his job at a low moment in his life. His wife left him and took the kids. And he got a job interviewing schizophrenics for some medical researchers. After doing it a while, he began to wonder if he was a schizophrenic himself. Scott is the author of Running After Antelope.

So yes, it was all reruns, though you are unlikely to have listened to the schizophrenia segment since it was from 19 years ago.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Well that's just silly. Though, yeah, haven't heard the 1996 episode so it's "new to you."

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The guy from this week who couldn't lie was just the spergiest. Like, undiagnosed, legit, asbergers.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
That segment was boring. Thank god they went full :smith: in the end.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snuffman posted:

The guy from this week who couldn't lie was just the spergiest. Like, undiagnosed, legit, asbergers.

I was wondering why they went the "can't lie" angle with it when it was more like he couldn't shut up long enough to keep any single thought he had from tumbling out of his face.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Brave stories this week of a guy who learned to shut up, a guy who lied and is now deluded, and a family that almost nearly stopped abuse but didn't.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It's also another rehash of two old episodes into one new one. Two in three weeks! :sax:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What in the gently caress is up with that mother trying to guilt one son into not eating meat just so the other son won't raise a fuss? It's a painful experience for Elias to see someone else eat meat? gently caress him, he needs to grow up and deal with it, and his parents need to give him the tools to do so.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Solkanar512 posted:

What in the gently caress is up with that mother trying to guilt one son into not eating meat just so the other son won't raise a fuss? It's a painful experience for Elias to see someone else eat meat? gently caress him, he needs to grow up and deal with it, and his parents need to give him the tools to do so.

Judging other people's parenting: the national pastime :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jesse Ventura posted:

Judging other people's parenting: the national pastime :v:

That was objectively horrible parenting.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Objectively

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Is it normal for This American Life to recycle so many stories in one year? I've been listening to TAL for years but other podcasts only recently, and it seems like the majority of TAL episodes in 2014-2015 have been repeats of other podcasts.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ira's just coasting on that sweet foundation money from the gertleton group

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mcmagic posted:

That was objectively horrible parenting.

But that seven year old was so earnest! How could you not empty out your freezer after hearing his passionate call to save the endangered pandas?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

bad day posted:

Is it normal for This American Life to recycle so many stories in one year? I've been listening to TAL for years but other podcasts only recently, and it seems like the majority of TAL episodes in 2014-2015 have been repeats of other podcasts.

Even early on they were recycling stuff. There is a lot of stuff involving Chicago's Navy Pier in the early episodes, but some of this can be forgiven since it was a massive public works project there and at the time, TAL was a show just for the Chicago market. When it went national, they still had some good stuff from the pier that was a bit broader in its appeal, and it was good, so they went with it.

But then there was a story about people calling a phone number so they could leave a voice mail of them screaming. So from July 26, 1996 through October 25, 1996, there were three episodes (30, 35 and 39) that had basically the same story, which was just people screaming.

So yeah, recycling is at the heart of This American Life.

Solkanar512 posted:

But that seven year old was so earnest! How could you not empty out your freezer after hearing his passionate call to save the endangered pandas?

This story really highlights the crappiness of the repeats; lack of an update. Is that seven year old still insufferable? Are the parents still quick to kowtow to the demands of a grade schooler as it relates to family meals? Is the young child still skulking around with his dad to enjoy being an omnivore? Or did he pick up on the fact that his parents can't say no and now gets twinkies and chocolate milk for every meal?

I'm ok with it when they update something like they did with Attack of the Patents.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What I mean is this year TAL has featured the first episode of Serial (also available in other podcast form) the first episode of Invisibilia (also available in other podcast form), the first two episodes of Startup (also available in other podcast form) and a number of episodes that basically republish content from Planet Money, Radiolab, and other podcasts in the iTunes top ten.

For example there's an AMAZING recent episode of Reply All called Why Is Mason Reese Crying - I'll bet you a dollar it winds up as part of a TAL episode sometime in the next 12 months.

I've been listening to This American Life for 10+ years - I have probably listened to every single episode except for that one nobody has. I don't remember such a large proportion of content being taken from other radio shows and podcasts. I definitely remember some episodes that were Planet Money compilations, or featured Radiolab stories, or a short segment from The Moth, but I don't remember them being such a large proportion of TAL's output.

Of course, in that time I did not listen to many other radio shows and podcasts, so maybe I just didn't notice.

I've actually been wanting to post about this for months, though I never got around to it - am I wrong? Did the last 12 months feature as much republished content as they've always had? It seems like every other time I download a new episode these days I'm like "wait I listened to this last week" or "huh I downloaded this today as a different podcast" and am kind of missing the experience of listening to new TAL stories on my walk home from work.

If it HAS always been this way. Man, what a lazy show. I've been giving them too much credit.

bad day fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bad day posted:

If it HAS always been this way. Man, what a lazy show. I've been giving them too much credit.

A lot of public radio shows are like this, both weekly and "daily" (i.e. 5 shows a week like Fresh Air). I don't know why they do it that way, but my guess is that it's a combination of budget and allowing staff to take days off. And it would be pretty grueling if Prairie Home Companion or Wait Wait cranked out a new show every single week, since they travel all over for live shows/tapings.

Also, remember that not everybody who listens to NPR has a home computer server full of carefully indexed podcasts from the past decade :v:

• Locked thread