Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KPC_Mammon posted:

My first two characters were a lightning throwing cleric and a hexer. The post release patches have killed any desire to play this game. Deep down, some part of me fears that any character I make will be nerfed to be useless within a month. Is there any chance of the game being rebalanced so that magic isn't completely poo poo?

Magic, particularly hexes, are still good, and I maintain that making clerics reskinned sorcerers was a mistake anyway; their utility spells are still very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

KPC_Mammon posted:

My first two characters were a lightning throwing cleric and a hexer. The post release patches have killed any desire to play this game. Deep down, some part of me fears that any character I make will be nerfed to be useless within a month. Is there any chance of the game being rebalanced so that magic isn't completely poo poo?

Hexes are still awesome. Clerics suck, go hex or sorcery.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Spears are still okay, but don't expect them to do miracles :v:. Their biggest problem is the low amount of charges, but at least you get two copies of the standard variants. It's feasible if only to deal with some really annoying situations (Ogres for example) and bosses far more easily than in melee. Okay, you could do that with a bow and poison arrows mostly because you have high dex, but that's kind of a lame argument - you COULD also do everything with a Rapier because that's just so efficient, brah!!
Stat-wise, it's definitely okay to have one physical main stat and one magical back-up. You can even use for example a Lightning Heide Knight weapon, enchant that with Sunlight Blade and really go nuts on the Faith-based damage, even if your Lightning Spears only end up as a back-up option.

Or go full flavor and enchant the Sunlight Straight Sword.

The Longsword isn't particularily fragile, it's just the entire durability system that's kinda borked. Take whatever you like best, and take whatever you like second- and third-best, too. Then switch if one breaks/according to situation.

The Spears are kind of trash against most things. Unlike when the game was first released and Lightning Spear was the single best PvE tool in the game, now they've only good for weakening enemies as most things won't even die in a single cast. You just don't have enough casts to make use of them in most boss fights; hell, you probably won't even have any by the time you reach the boss door if you like to use them during the regular level. There are a few enemies that are weak to lightning that you'll incinerate in one hit though, so that's cool.

High faith characters have amazing support options that blow Lightning Spear out of the water and I dunno why you'd even bother with them after a point. They aren't worth it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Go use buffs. Stab people.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magic is still very useful (barring the DLC content), but there's basically no reason to use the Lightning Spear line of spells beyond flavor. Heavenly Thunder, however, is still quite powerful, and it can chunk down larger bosses like The Rotten or Guardian Dragon handily.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The best offensive spells for any magic type is the weapon enchantments anyway.

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003
I have 9 petrified dragon bone to trade for twinkling titanite if that is possible. 576k SM.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If I remember right you can't drop upgrade materials.

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003

Iretep posted:

If I remember right you can't drop upgrade materials.

This makes me sad. I just want to not farm twinkling titanite for the third time

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Am I misunderstanding, or has the Old Iron King DLC punished me for exploring thoroughly?

See, I'm at the Fume Knight, and I have used all 10 of my Smelter Wedges, so there's a healing spot off in the corner. I looked it up and see that the 11th wedge cannot be found until after defeating the Fume Knight. So since I found all the things and used up all my wedges, now I'm punished by having to take extra care with positioning so the boss doesn't get healed? That seems kind of lovely, to be honest. If it was just impossible to not have a healing spot there, that would be one thing, but it seems like if I hadn't found all of the idols and used up all of my wedges, the boss would be easier, so I feel like I'm being punished for exploring.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Am I misunderstanding, or has the Old Iron King DLC punished me for exploring thoroughly?

See, I'm at the Fume Knight, and I have used all 10 of my Smelter Wedges, so there's a healing spot off in the corner. I looked it up and see that the 11th wedge cannot be found until after defeating the Fume Knight. So since I found all the things and used up all my wedges, now I'm punished by having to take extra care with positioning so the boss doesn't get healed? That seems kind of lovely, to be honest. If it was just impossible to not have a healing spot there, that would be one thing, but it seems like if I hadn't found all of the idols and used up all of my wedges, the boss would be easier, so I feel like I'm being punished for exploring.

Yes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Even with all 4 healing spots active, the arena still has plenty of room to fight Fume Knight without him getting healed. Don't sweat it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. I'm just not a big fan of how the game has become harder because I was thorough.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. I'm just not a big fan of how the game has become harder because I was thorough.

That exact problem is why I saved the statue by the Majestic Greatsword for last on my new character.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh, $30 or so isn't bad if we end up getting a discount on top of it.

SOTFS that is.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I did this, I had to hug him and forced myself to learn all his patterns (I wasn't sure about the healing range and was trying to figure out where to keep him in place so I could actually get him low consistently.) He never once healed, in the 20+ times I fought him and lost, not once, not even for a second. Except for the winning run, where he inexplicably jumped away for the first time and healed when he had a sliver of health remaining. A final test to see if I had really mastered the boss of if I just got lucky. Yes, these games are punishing you, always punishing you for everything you do all the time.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Just save the one near the first bonfire til last, it's pretty much just there to demonstrate the gimmick and is super easy to avoid.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Forgive me if this has been mentioned in the thread, but something I've never seen just happened.

(SotFS spoiler, maybe?)
When I lit the primal bonfire after The Rotten, it exploded and something I can only accurately describe as a pillar of flesh rose out of it to explain what rekindling the flame will accomplish. I'm assuming this is something that got patched in for Scholar of the First Sin?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, that's part of the storyline stuff they added with the latest patch.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, that's part of the storyline stuff they added with the latest patch.

OK, cool. It really threw me off. Kinda lovely that the explosion causes damage. I barely had enough health to survive.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Filler Bunny posted:

I have 9 petrified dragon bone to trade for twinkling titanite if that is possible. 576k SM.

If you trust the person you're trading with you can just swap weapons, and "trade" mats that way by upgrading the other person's weapon.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a chart somewhere that has the places I should be dropping my sunbro sign by level? I was messing around and farming easy souls but it made me outlevel the area pretty quickly and now I have no idea where I should go.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a chart somewhere that has the places I should be dropping my sunbro sign by level? I was messing around and farming easy souls but it made me outlevel the area pretty quickly and now I have no idea where I should go.

It works by how many total souls you've collected, rather than what level you actually are

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator
This handy chart has the soul memory ranges, as well as how many tiers up or down you can go with various summon/invasion signs. The souls memory ranges widen once you enter New Game+, iirc.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

Level doesen't matter. Co-op and invading is based on soul memory.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is Sins of the First Scholar supposed to be completely standalone? I never got around to finishing this on the PS3 so I might as well grab the remaster on PC since it'll come with the DLCs too (also because the PS4 version is $70).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Eej posted:

Is Sins of the First Scholar supposed to be completely standalone? I never got around to finishing this on the PS3 so I might as well grab the remaster on PC since it'll come with the DLCs too (also because the PS4 version is $70).

its suppose to be, probably will work like deus ex human revolution director's cut did, it will see you own the original and dlcs and thus give you a varying discount based on how much of the dlcs you have and then when you buy the new version it will be a separate entry on your steam games list.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Holidae posted:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned in the thread, but something I've never seen just happened.

(SotFS spoiler, maybe?)
When I lit the primal bonfire after The Rotten, it exploded and something I can only accurately describe as a pillar of flesh rose out of it to explain what rekindling the flame will accomplish. I'm assuming this is something that got patched in for Scholar of the First Sin?

It happened to me after freja, but I didn't take any damage which is weird.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't recall taking damage from it ever.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Even better, there's an indicator in-game now. Pull up your teleport/bonfire list and look for the ones with the orange borders. Those are the areas with the most online interaction (both co-op and invasion) going on, both a. right the gently caress now (so it'll adjust over the course of an evening) and b. at your particular soul memory. Think of it as an example of "this is where you want to go to sunbro/invade".

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
From a little while back:

I uh...

I should probably come back later.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't recall taking damage from it ever.

Hmm...maybe I had some kinda bug on my health bar then? There was definitely a pretty sizeable chunk of yellow on my health bar that went away when i stood up.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Mr Dog posted:

From a little while back:

I uh...

I should probably come back later.

So that's where he was.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Grabbed this for the PS3 back when it was first released. Thinking of grabbing it for PC since I never ended up doing the DLC stuff. Am I best off just waiting for Scholar? I don't really get what's going on with that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Grabbed this for the PS3 back when it was first released. Thinking of grabbing it for PC since I never ended up doing the DLC stuff. Am I best off just waiting for Scholar? I don't really get what's going on with that.

Yes. Scholar will have both the base game and the DLC packaged together, so it's overall cheaper to just wait to buy Scholar.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It also has upgrades over the current version of the game. There's absolutely no reason not to just wait until April and buy the remaster.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Not giving money to the FromSoftware Ponzi scheme known as Dark Souls 2 is a valid reason. :colbert:

Joking aside, nope. Also Bamco mentioned there will be a stream at 6PM Pacific on the 26th showing more about the game, till 7PM.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is the AI in this game programmed to prefer to attack the player over NPCs? I notice that in the fight immediately before the final boss of the Ivory King DLC, all four of my buddies can be attacking one dude and he's still tossing fireballs at me, ignoring all the guys who are piled on him.

edit: also is the buddy AI designed to leave enemies at 10HP and then go attack a different guy so I have to go finish them off, because that's probably the most annoying part of this fight

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
dark souls 2 is literally a scam because wow gently caress you lightning bolts used to be good now they're not gently caress YOU FROM SOFTWARE I WANT MY MONEY BACK

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

SHISHKABOB posted:

dark souls 2 is literally a scam because wow gently caress you lightning bolts used to be good now they're not gently caress YOU FROM SOFTWARE I WANT MY MONEY BACK

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played through the game when it came out as a dex char who eventually started throwing lightning bolts.

Think I might up re-release for xbone because I never played the DLCs.

I wanna try hexing this time around -- any basic tips/things I should know?