Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Yeah that's about as comical as Jen Psaki starting that the US has a long standing policy of not supporting non-constitutional refine change :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

That line might work better if you weren't simultaneously lobbying for the return of a spy you used to spy on the United States, there, guy.

It's even funnier because it would actually have been irresponsible of the Israeli government not to spy on the Iran talks in some way, given the implications for their national security and foreign policy. It's why the State Department started out voluntarily giving Netanyahu updates about what was going on. They eventually stopped because the Israelis were selectively leaking information to try to damage the USA's efforts. The issue isn't that they were spying, it's that they used the information to interfere with the negotiations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Israel has allies other than the USA?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
German second strike nuclear subs say yes.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Europe generally follows America's lead on Israel, if less enthusiastically.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peel posted:

Bibi's popularity in Europe is non-existent, the final nail in that coffin was put in when he demanded that all Jews leave europe.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Venom Snake posted:

Bibi's popularity in Europe is non-existent, the final nail in that coffin was put in when he demanded that all Jews leave europe.

The list of things where Hitler and Bibi agree just keeps growing, its the one piece of dark humour I can wring out of this whole mess.

GOOD NIGHT LEFT SIDE!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Peel posted:

It's worth pointing out that this is true specifically for the politicians in Europe. The European population overwhelmingly sides with Palestine.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

Uuuh.

Uuuuuuuuuh?

That line might work better if you weren't simultaneously lobbying for the return of a spy you used to spy on the United States, there, guy.

Why are Israeli diplomats so poo poo?

Because the US backs Israel no matter what, though that might be changing soon. Why would their diplomats even have to try when the diplomats could literally walk completely nude into a meeting, poo poo all over the desk, and roll around in it and if someone said it was disgusting the US would side with Israel saying it clearly isn't

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

botany posted:

It's worth pointing out that this is true specifically for the politicians in Europe. The European population overwhelmingly sides with Palestine.

Not only Europe, but Canada, Australia, Japan, pretty much every country considered to be "West" except the US has an opinion about Israel on par with such luminaries like Iran and North Korea.
http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Poll-Israel-viewed-negatively-around-the-world
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4020114,00.html
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israel-one-worlds-most-unpopular-countries-and-its-getting-worse-bbc-survey

And that's just the next step from US and (weirdly) some African countries, after that its India, Russia, China and countries where politicians routinely compare Israel with Satan and call Jews rats and pigs on national TV. That's why I keep saying that Israel won't have anyone turn to if US washes its hands of the whole affair and what Bibi is doing seems pretty suicidal in many ways.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 24, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DarkCrawler posted:

And that's just the next step from US and (weirdly) some African countries...

Israelis vacation in Africa quite a bit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fizzil posted:

Also how long before the PA collapses? and what would be the consequences of that? will Israel police the territory themselves?

Hard to say - this depends almost entirely on the PA's popularity and stability. The PA will almost certainly be totally out of money within a month, if they aren't already, but Gaza has been more or less stable despite the fact that Hamas basically ran out of money maybe eight months ago now. Of course, the PA's circumstances are somewhat different - in particular, if the PA can't pay their security forces because of Israeli scheming then it'll be hard to get the PA security forces to go out and risk their lives stopping anti-Israel violent groups!

If the PA collapses, who knows what'll happen? I think Israel will probably seek out another Abbas-style stooge and help him establish a new faction, though. They'll happily police the West Bank, with or without Palestinian permission, but they don't want to be officially responsible for it, just like the PA is staying out of Gaza and sowing chaos there instead because it doesn't want to be responsible for Gaza.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Extra! Extra! Wall Street Journal revealed as disreputable rag:

quote:

Boehner 'shocked' and 'baffled' by report Israel spied on US talks with Iran

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Tuesday that he was "shocked" and "baffled" by a Wall Street Journal report published Tuesday morning that claimed Israel had spied on US nuclear talks with Iran, collecting information that was used to lobby him and his colleagues in Congress to drum up opposition to an emerging nuclear deal.

According to the Journal, Israel spied on the talks as part of the Netanyahu administration's campaign to publicly build a case against the deal.

"I'm not sure what the information was, but I'm baffled by it," Boehner told reporters on Capitol Hill on Tuesday.

The White House was critical of Boehner for inviting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to address a joint meeting of Congress earlier this month. Boehner will visit Israel during Congress' recess in late March.

"No information [was] revealed to me whatsoever," he added.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Boehner-shocked-and-baffled-by-report-Israel-spied-on-US-talks-with-Iran-394960

And two pieces of positive news:

quote:

House establishes bipartisan task force to combat anti-Semitism

WASHINGTON (JTA) – A bipartisan task force to combat anti-Semitism around the world was established by the U.S. House of Representatives.

The task force launched Tuesday is designed to educate Congress about anti-Semitism, which its members referred to as “the 21st century face of this age-old bigotry.”

Congress members will share ideas with the executive branch, foreign leaders and other organizations on combating anti-Semitism. It also will promote Holocaust remembrance through teaching tolerance and confronting hate.

“Jewish populations are facing increased levels of hatred, frequently under the guise of political differences or other alibis, but in reality it is solely because of their faith,” task force co-chairs Reps. Chris Smith (R-N.J.), Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), Kay Granger (R-Tex.), Steve Israel (D-N.Y.), Peter Roskam (R-Ill.) and Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) said in a statement.

http://www.jta.org/2015/03/24/news-opinion/politics/bi-partisan-task-force-to-combat-anti-semitism-established-in-house

quote:

Yahad can’t pay campaign staff, Yishai says

Yahad party chairman Eli Yishai wrote to his election campaign staff on Monday to tell them that he was unable to pay them for their work during the election.

Yahad narrowly failed to enter the Knesset, taking 125,000 votes constituting 2.97% of the vote, just a few thousand ballots short of the 3.25% needed to cross the electoral threshold.

Yahad can therefore not gain party funding available to Knesset factions.

“The [election] result left us with a very large debt, which is making it hard for us at the moment to pay salaries,” Yishai wrote.

“We are continuing to work as hard as possible to cover the deficit so that we will be able to fulfil our obligations to you. We apologize for the delay and are doing everything in our power to fulfil our obligations,” he continued.

Yishai also referenced the electoral fraud his party alleged had taken place on election day, which, he claims, prevented them from crossing the electoral threshold.

“We succeeded, because 125,000 people thought that there is another way, and thousands more who wanted to vote for Yahad but were prevented from doing so,” he said.

“Our participation in the Knesset was done through a verified and realistic estimation that Yahad would enter the Knesset. Because of this estimate, we took upon ourselves loans, including personal guarantees in order to allow the entire campaign to operate. The assumption was that we would cover the expenses from money which the party would receive after the election.

“Unfortunately in the last 48 hours there was an electoral turn-about occured which even the greatest experts did not expect, including fraudulent activities that hurt us severely,” the Yahad chairman said.

Yishai, along with other party members including Attorney Itamar Ben-Gvir have said that they may file an appeal with the High Court of Justice if they gather enough evidence of electoral fraud.

Ben-Gvir told The Jerusalem Post that the party has been given access to the ballot boxes and is examining them for irregularities that would prove the party’s claim that electoral fraud denied them the approximately 10,000 votes they need to cross the electoral threshold.

Ben-Gvir has said that the party is also gathering testimony from people who witnessed fraudulent activity at the polling stations, and has until next Wednesday to file an appeal.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Yahad-cant-pay-campaign-staff-Yishai-says-394972

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Not only Europe, but Canada, Australia, Japan, pretty much every country considered to be "West" except the US has an opinion about Israel on par with such luminaries like Iran and North Korea.
http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Poll-Israel-viewed-negatively-around-the-world
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4020114,00.html
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israel-one-worlds-most-unpopular-countries-and-its-getting-worse-bbc-survey

And that's just the next step from US and (weirdly) some African countries, after that its India, Russia, China and countries where politicians routinely compare Israel with Satan and call Jews rats and pigs on national TV. That's why I keep saying that Israel won't have anyone turn to if US washes its hands of the whole affair and what Bibi is doing seems pretty suicidal in many ways.

drat, what did Israel ever do to Japan?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Cultural appropriation

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Oh please, like the US hasn't done that a poo poo load to Japan over the last 20 years.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

They're really pissed about the Samurai Pizza Cats dub.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Oh please, like the US hasn't done that a poo poo load to Japan over the last 20 years.

It was a joke though.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Haim Saban.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Jack of Hearts posted:

The real question is why would India have bad opinions on Israel? What heinous poo poo did Israel do to one of the only parts of the world to happily accept Jewish migrants in history (ancient history to be exact)?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Radish posted:

That dub was amazing and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The real question is why would India have bad opinions on Israel? What heinous poo poo did Israel do to one of the only parts of the world to happily accept Jewish migrants in history (ancient history to be exact)?

India is a favorite traveling location for Israelis who finish their military service. Israeli tourist are notoriously lovely, now take that and add to it the dickishness of a kid in his early 20s who feels he's now entitled to do whatever the gently caress he want in order to blow off steam after being in the army for 3 years.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 24, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm with you, it was a work of art.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Japan doesn't bring any baggage about historical Abrahamic disputes to the table so maybe they just see these rich guys stamping all over those poor guys. There's also a lot of people with no opinion since it's so far away. Korea has similar negatives but much higher positives, maybe because evangelical Christianity is a thing there and is producing a population of theological supporters.

That's all just my guesswork though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Turns out that Israel's actions towards the Palestinians are not really popular outside the US, who would have guessed?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Because Israel is a colonialist apartheid state created by Europeans out of what used to be a European colonial regime? And also happens to be an undeclared nuclear state which has not signed any nuclear treaties, including the NPT or other nonproliferation treaties? There isn't a single thing in either of those sentences that Japan should like, and I imagine India isn't too fond of the first sentence either. Additionally, both countries have virtually no Jewish population and were far from the horrors of the Holocaust (and Japan committed quite a few human rights abuses of its own during the war), so they're not inclined to cut Israel some slack the way Europe does.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Because Israel is a colonialist apartheid state created by Europeans out of what used to be a European colonial regime? And also happens to be an undeclared nuclear state which has not signed any nuclear treaties, including the NPT or other nonproliferation treaties? There isn't a single thing in either of those sentences that Japan should like, and I imagine India isn't too fond of the first sentence either. Additionally, both countries have virtually no Jewish population and were far from the horrors of the Holocaust (and Japan committed quite a few human rights abuses of its own during the war), so they're not inclined to cut Israel some slack the way Europe does.

If you look at the chart, India doesn't compare to Japan at all. Japan is a weird outlier, especially compared to the polling results from the other east Asian countries, but also in general. Pakistan likes Israel more than Japan.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jack of Hearts posted:

If you look at the chart, India doesn't compare to Japan at all. Japan is a weird outlier, especially compared to the polling results from the other east Asian countries, but also in general. Pakistan likes Israel more than Japan.

I wonder why Israel's uniquely cavalier attitude about nuclear weapons might be unusually unpopular in Japan :iiam:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

Look more carefully. While Pakistan likes Israel more than Japan, according to that survey, it also hates Israel more than Japan. The same is true of South Korea and Indonesia. The oddity in numbers is simply due to a very large number of people answering "depends", "neutral", or "don't know".

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Main Paineframe posted:

And also happens to be an undeclared nuclear state which has not signed any nuclear treaties, including the NPT or other nonproliferation treaties?
To be fair, India is in the same boat in regards to having nukes they're not supposed to.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Zeroisanumber posted:

Israelis vacation in Africa quite a bit.

They used to vacation in Turkey quite a bit too but that ended rather fast.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Radish posted:

That dub owned.

e: f, b:

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I got your back, BRUther!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Was that the show where every dubber sounded like they were shouting their lines?:

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 24, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Samurai Pizza Cats was my first anime. :allears: Also enjoyed Ronin Warriors.

Holy poo poo how the gently caress did I remember that?

Is Obama really going to backpedal on the spying allegation?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Israel has NEVER spied on the US.

Free Jonathan Pollard!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ralepozozaxe posted:

To be fair, India is in the same boat in regards to having nukes they're not supposed to.

India is openly admitting having nukes, and they got sanctions for it.

That said, India depends on Israel quite a bit; notably in the defense sector.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I don't think it's that Europeans like the Palestinians, I think it's that they don't like Israel because of who Israelis are.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Does Israel even need allies at this point? They have so many nuclear weapons that they could commence the Endlösung der Palestinenfrage tomorrow and no one would be able to stop them without tens of millions of that country's people being incinerated.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

I don't think it's that Europeans like the Palestinians, I think it's that they don't like Israel because of who Israelis are.

Oh, good, we haven't had an 'all Europeans are anti-Semites' post recently. I was wondering where they'd got to.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, good, we haven't had an 'all Europeans are anti-Semites' post recently. I was wondering where they'd got to.

They're too busy hating on the Roma and Muslim immigrants now. :v:

In other news, Obama is not letting this one go:

---

“Prime Minister Netanyahu in the election run-up stated that a Palestinian state would not occur while he was prime minister, and I took him at his word that that’s what he meant and I think that a lot of voters inside of Israel understood him to be saying that fairly unequivocally,” Obama said at the press conference with Afghani President Ashraf Ghani.

“So even if you accepted the corrective of Prime Minister Netanyahu’s in subsequent days, there still does not appear to be a prospect of a meaningful framework established that would lead to a Palestinian state even if there were a whole range of conditions and security requirements that might be phased in over a long period of time, which was always the presumption,” Obama said.

Obama stressed that the two-state solution would be a long-term process that would address Israel’s security concerns.

“The issue has never been ‘do you create a Palestinian state overnight.’ The issue is ‘do you create a process and a framework that gives the Palestinians hope, the possibility that down the road they have a secure state of their own standing side by side with a secure and fully recognized Jewish state of Israel,’” he said.

“It’s not just my estimation, but it’s hard to envision how that happens based on the prime minister’s statements,” he added.

The president also cautioned that the lack of peace talks could deteriorate into violence.

“That possibility [of peace] seems very dim, and that may trigger then reactions by the Palestinians that in turn elicits counter reactions by the Israelis and that could end up leading to a downward spiral for relations that will be dangerous for everybody and bad for everybody,” he said.

Obama said he speaks with Netanyahu often, and chided the press for focusing on their relationship, which has reportedly grown exceedingly frosty, and not on the issues.

“He is representing his country’s interests the way he thinks he needs to and I’m doing the same. The issue is not the relationship between leaders,” he said. “We believe two states is the best path forward for Israeli security, for Palestinian aspirations and regional stability. Netanyahu has a different approach and so this can’t be reduced to a matter of somehow let’s all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

(my bold --- AA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Kumbaya? That sounds like it could be Kenyan...

In real things, I was wondering if y'all might be able to help me out: I recall reading years, maybe even a decade+, ago the biography or autobiography of an Israeli who was some high minister during the '67 war (maybe even Dayan, I honestly can't recall), who stated that even though they used fear of an attack from the build up of Arab troops on their border as the reason for launching a preemptive strike, internally, they at no point believed that any such attack was actually feared from said built up troops. Does anyone happen to know who/what I'm talking about off the top of their head?

• Locked thread