Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Rock music actually caused 9/11.

(release date of both these albums: 9/11/2001)

Bleed American actually came out in mid July 2001. I know cause I bought it on release day. It was renamed "Jimmy Eat World" and re-released in October 2001.

Note that this album did actually come out on September 4th, 2001:

Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever
by noted terrorists Explosions in the Sky.

The liner notes contain the words "This plane will crash tomorrow" leading to people misremembering the release date as 9/10/2001 and forcing the band to explain their artistic choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AsInHowe posted:

Rand literally blew the people in those chairs away

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Real Name Grover posted:

Wait, hold on. How did "rock music" respond to 9/11 anyway?

E: 2016 Presidential Primary: I actually intellectually find this very curious, but on 9/11

Bruce Springsteen did a pretty good job. A few more people did, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ted Cruz had been getting health insurance through his wife, but she's been on unpaid leave from Goldman Sachs for a while, so this happened:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Isn't the law that he's referring to that amendment that Republicans pushed to gently caress over all the congressional staffers?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Ted Cruz had been getting health insurance through his wife, but she's been on unpaid leave from Goldman Sachs for a while, so this happened:

Watch--he'll live-stream the enrollment process and bitch the whole time about how hard it is and why can't it be simpler and a bloo bloo bloo :qq:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Imagine if you will, George Washington in 1778, signing up for the comprehensive health insurance scheme mandated by the redcoats through Mutual of Manchester with an additional rider for wooden teeth and pewter jawbone reconstruction.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
It'll be a prime opportunity for him to show that his wife's previous plan was more comprehensive and convenient than the so-called "superior" federal alternative.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

It'll be a prime opportunity for him to show that his wife's previous plan was more comprehensive and convenient than the so-called "superior" federal alternative.

Wouldn't work, given that Cruz himself is enrolling in Obamacare.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember a spokesman from something akin to the Hispanic equivalent of the NAACP going on The Daily Show and talking about promising Hispanic politicans, specifically, Julian Castro and Ted Cruz.

I can see a the Hispanic vote going to Cruz just because he's half Hispanic.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

That's the point. He had to since his wife lost her employer coverage. Now he can talk about how much better her coverage was and how switching made him put up with that inferior government product.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember a spokesman from something akin to the Hispanic equivalent of the NAACP going on The Daily Show and talking about promising Hispanic politicans, specifically, Julian Castro and Ted Cruz.

I can see a the Hispanic vote going to Cruz just because he's half Hispanic.

I honestly can't. Latinos aren't a homogeneous group, and I can't see central/south Americans getting excited over a half-Cuban white hispanic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

420DD Butts posted:

I honestly can't. Latinos aren't a homogeneous group, and I can't see central/south Americans getting excited over a half-Cuban white hispanic.
He just needs to strip away enough votes from the Democrat to get him to 270, since the Republican base definitely wouldn't vote for Hillary over him.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Malloreon posted:

Bleed American actually came out in mid July 2001. I know cause I bought it on release day. It was renamed "Jimmy Eat World" and re-released in October 2001.

Note that this album did actually come out on September 4th, 2001:

Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever
by noted terrorists Explosions in the Sky.

The liner notes contain the words "This plane will crash tomorrow" leading to people misremembering the release date as 9/10/2001 and forcing the band to explain their artistic choices.

Malloreon is not joking, either. (It actually was released on 9/10... In the UK)

quote:

The string of coincidences surrounding the band, its artwork, and the destruction of the World Trade Center was surreal, and they came back to haunt them on the band's first European tour that December. James, the group's bassist, was detained at the Amsterdam airport, told he was a threat to security. James lied about the band's name until the officer asked why "this plane will crash tomorrow" was written on his guitar. Somehow, a copy of the disc got the band past that sticky hurdle.

The issue has continued to plague them as recently as 2011.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That album owns and I'm sad it brought them misery

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Josh Lyman posted:

He just needs to strip away enough votes from the Democrat to get him to 270, since the Republican base definitely wouldn't vote for Hillary over him.

Where? Look at a map of where Hispanic people live, then look at the electoral map.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Florida, New Mexico, Nevada,...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Florida, New Mexico, Nevada,...

Not many Cubans in either New Mexico or Nevada.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Josh Lyman posted:

That's the same thing people said about Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin and we saw how that panned out. Hispanics, women, blacks and other groups tend to vote in their best interests and not based on the candidates matching their skin or gender.

Cruz isn't going to be able to say or campaign on anything that the majority of Hispanics will like without destroying his base.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Politically, there's a big difference between Cuban-Americans and Hispanics from other regions. Cruz's family story of escape from Castro will get him votes among Cubans in Florida, but the millennial generation there isn't nearly as anti-Castro as the older generations. Cruz has no credibility among immigrants from other parts of Latin America, while Julian Castro does. Castro would be a very solid VP pick for Hillary, especially if Cruz or Bush gets the Republican nomination.

Mitt Romney posted:

That's the same thing people said about Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin and we saw how that panned out. Hispanics, women, blacks and other groups tend to vote in their best interests and not based on the candidates matching their skin or gender.

Cruz isn't going to be able to say or campaign on anything that the majority of Hispanics will like without destroying his base.

This is true. Cruz's anti-Fidel Castro stance is going to be big among Cuban-Americans, and other Hispanics will hate him for his views on immigration. Julian Castro's pro-immigration policy is going to be much more popular.

And discussion of politics will need to be on a first-name basis if candidates named Clinton, Bush, and Castro are in the picture.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 24, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

420DD Butts posted:

Not many Cubans in either New Mexico or Nevada.

I'm guessing it's assuming 'hispanic' will be a bloc as opposed to any of it's constituent groups?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Chamale posted:

Politically, there's a big difference between Cuban-Americans and Hispanics from other regions.

And this is because Cubans get preferential immigration treatment. If you are Cuban, you are basically allowed in if your foot touches US soil. If you are any other kind of latino, well, you're an anchor baby or illegal or some other pejorative.

This is why Rubio doesn't have a chance at the Hispanic vote either. Their opinions on immigration are secondary.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm guessing it's assuming 'hispanic' will be a bloc as opposed to any of it's constituent groups?

And that is a very dumb assumption. It'd be like expecting a German to vote for an Italian because they're both European.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does Cruz get secret service protection now? If so can we make sure he gets the incompetent drunk prostitute-loving ones?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

Wait, hold on. How did "rock music" respond to 9/11 anyway?

E: 2016 Presidential Primary: I actually intellectually find this very curious, but on 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-z2D9lo9-8

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

420DD Butts posted:

And that is a very dumb assumption. It'd be like expecting a German to vote for an Italian because they're both European.

If he speaks fluent Spanish that's already a huge plus with the demo. An Italian who spoke fluent German would also have some appeal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

If he speaks fluent Spanish that's already a huge plus with the demo.

I wonder if he or Bush will speak Spanish in any ads? That was a big plus for Schwarzenegger in California, reportedly his Spanish sounds less accented than his English.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

I wonder if he or Bush will speak Spanish in any ads? That was a big plus for Schwarzenegger in California, reportedly his Spanish sounds less accented than his English.

In the general, sure. You want to get on the air on Univision.

e: (yeah Bush did it in 2014 for midterm candidates, and of course for his gubernatorial runs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wltxw2lo_m0

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm not sure that women not voting for Hillary and Palin on gender alone is analogous to a racial minority; the guy on The Daily Show talked about immigration reform while speaking positively about Ted Cruz.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why arent you out recruiting a cool progressive dark-horse candidate to defeat hillary, Josh

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure that women not voting for Hillary and Palin on gender alone is analogous to a racial minority; the guy on The Daily Show talked about immigration reform while speaking positively about Ted Cruz.

Do you think Ben Carson would be able to siphon off the black vote from a democrat?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Look Sir Droids posted:

And this is because Cubans get preferential immigration treatment. If you are Cuban, you are basically allowed in if your foot touches US soil. If you are any other kind of latino, well, you're an anchor baby or illegal or some other pejorative.

This is why Rubio doesn't have a chance at the Hispanic vote either. Their opinions on immigration are secondary.

Also worth noting that Cuban-Americans aren't a solidly R voting bloc these days anymore. A lot of younger Cuban-Americans who don't care about granda's angry rants are pretty happy with relaxing the embargo and angry at the Republican party's consistent anti-brown people stance.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Ted Cruz accepts a trophy from Mark Halperin for entering the presidential race first.

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/580486115309821953/photo/1

This is the most inept launching of a presidential campaign I have ever seen.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Maybe I'm not getting it, but I don't understand why a mestizo Honduran/Salvadoran/Mexican/etc. would vote for a half-Cuban white hispanic who, for all intents and purposes, seems to hate them. Even assuming that people vote purely off ethnic identity, people aren't just going to go "Oh he speaks Spanish" and forget that his entire origin and perspective is completely different from their own.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PupsOfWar posted:

why arent you out recruiting a cool progressive dark-horse candidate to defeat hillary, Josh

His dark horse is already on the short list for Hillary's VP. And his twin brother is on the fill in as VP for shits and giggles list.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know about that. I suspect an improbable Ted Cruz nomination would actually put some normally safe-R states in play. He certainly polls like poo poo in the mid-south (granted, that's with very early polling, a narrow data set and less name-recognition than, say, Jeb) and I could see him making Missourians and Hoosiers real nervous

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 24, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

420DD Butts posted:

Do you think Ben Carson would be able to siphon off the black vote from a democrat?

There aren't too many races I can think of where there was a black Republican candidate and exit polls, but there were two black Republican gubernatorial candidates in 2006.

In Ohio, Ken Blackwell lost the black vote 20-77.
In Pennsylvania, Lynn Swann lost the black vote 13-87.

20% is actually very high and could shake things up in some swing states if replicated nationally, but 13% isn't too notable.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pinterest Mom posted:

There aren't too many races I can think of where there was a black Republican candidate and exit polls, but there were two black Republican gubernatorial candidates in 2006.

20% is actually very high and could shake things up in some swing states if replicated nationally, but 13% isn't too notable.

If Romney got 20% of the black vote in 2012 instead of 6%, that would have flipped Florida but nowhere else, so Obama would still win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's within the realm of possibility, but it is highly unlikely given the current political climate. I think it'd be even less likely in years with greater turnout and GOTV operations, i.e. presidential election years.

• Locked thread