Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Yo. Sundiving is difficult on account of the dV you need. Dropping something into the sun involves slowing it down enough that the lowest part of its orbit intersects with the star. It's possible but you would either need a shitload of fuel to do the job quickly or tons of time (think decades) to tweak the lowest part of the orbit when you reach the highest point with a less powerful but more fuel efficient engine.

No, you just need to not give them enough fuel to do anything beyond escape Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

No, you just need to not give them enough fuel to do anything beyond escape Earth.

No, Guac said in the sun. Escaping Earth's gravity into some crummy Solar orbit is trivial. Shooting something into the sun is more difficult.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

No, Guac said in the sun. Escaping Earth's gravity into some crummy Solar orbit is trivial. Shooting something into the sun is more difficult.

It's actually easier to send a payload out of the solar system entirely than it is to send it into the sun.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Well, I don't think there's any constraints on time here. So long as they wind up in the sun, you have from launch until the end of time. If anything, making them fly around for an eternity with a slowly-degrading orbit would be better.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I want to set up a space fort on a rogue planet with a hot core. Planetary benefits like a magnetic field, stable atmosphere, and liquid water without pesky poo poo like Islam or Republicans.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Well, I don't think there's any constraints on time here. So long as they wind up in the sun, you have from launch until the end of time. If anything, making them fly around for an eternity with a slowly-degrading orbit would be better.

This is pretty much what I was going for.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Okay would it be cheaper to just shoot everyone then? Because that's probably far more efficient honestly.

Until we figure out who the last man is at the end of humanity who has to off himself to ensure all the baddies are gone.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
I think as long as their space poo poo turns into a floating oven we're pretty well off. Course why not do the Fallout vault setup? One ship is full of suicide vests, another full of water balloons filled with a chemical weapon, another with a nuke in the middle with a big red button open to the public, let the people on board be the method of their destruction.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Potential BFF posted:

I want to set up a space fort on a rogue planet with a hot core. Planetary benefits like a magnetic field, stable atmosphere, and liquid water without pesky poo poo like Islam or Republicans.

Preach it. We must be ideologically pure.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BaconAndBullets posted:

I think as long as their space poo poo turns into a floating oven we're pretty well off. Course why not do the Fallout vault setup? One ship is full of suicide vests, another full of water balloons filled with a chemical weapon, another with a nuke in the middle with a big red button open to the public, let the people on board be the method of their destruction.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3696720/

E: which one of y'all writes for DuffelBlog?

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/03/op-ed-i-sexually-identify-as-an-a-10-thunderbolt/

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 23, 2015

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

BaconAndBullets posted:

One has 5000 women and one man. One has 5000 finger puppets...and one man.

The list of horrifying vault/ship ideas I can think of is kind of funny.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Shooting things into the sun is wasteful. We have a finite amount of resources on this planet. Humans should be broken down into their component parts and reused as things like fertilizer and food additives.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
And soap and lampshades

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Soylent Green is people.

Keppi
Jan 13, 2010
I was driving down to the capital, and got to drive past a convoy that had 1 warning car on each end with a huge sign saying "TANKS", and mostly it was just MT-LVB's (this one?) and BMP's, with 1 actual tank on the front. Or whatever, my knowledge of the finnish pokémon isn't that deep.

But still, boy was that cool. The tracks make a nasty sound when they're being driven 80 km/h on asphalt. Or at least that's the speed I gauged from my speed.

EDIT: Oops, broke all the tables with the original pic. Here's a smaller one.

Keppi fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 23, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Keppi posted:

But still, boy was that cool. The tracks make a nasty sound when they're being driven 80 km/h on asphalt. Or at least that's the speed I gauged from my speed.

Doesn't this end up tearing the hell out of the highway?

Keppi
Jan 13, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

Possible, but dunno - would they knowingly be doing that? I mean, they probably have to drive them around a lot for practices since it's the area around Finland's Armoured Brigade.

Interestingly though, the only actual tank that seemed to be in the convoy couldn't have been any other than the T-55 (oops, originally I thought it was the T-72) which is only used for target practice and/or mine clearing nowadays.

Keppi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 23, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bitcoin bastard posted:

Aren't there rubber tracks/rubber capped tracks for temporary road work?

Keppi
Jan 13, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Well this shows them happily tearing down a paved city street, so... maybe? I can't really make out due to the blur, but it seems to have something darker on the tracks that could be rubber. Dunno for sure, I never went to the National Boys' Mandatory Summer Camp here, I got relieved from the service during peace time on part of my lovely knees.

:woop:

Oh poo poo, goon out of platoons detected!

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
You can add rubber shits to jam in the links on belted wagons. Driving at those speeds even with those still fucks the road.

Keppi
Jan 13, 2010

Daktari posted:

You can add rubber shits to jam in the links on belted wagons. Driving at those speeds even with those still fucks the road.

Now that you think of, it could have been lower than 80 km/h, too, which was mostly a guess.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Duke Chin posted:

Danish Leopards has rubber tracks.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Our CR2's have 2 track pads per link which stops wear of the track along with reducing damage to the road.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Trump posted:

Danish Leopards has rubber tracks.

Yeah I remember reading somewhere recently that they swapped (everything?) over.

Clearly the US needs to one up everyone and get flubber-based treads.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Always wanted to go to a parking lot and turn it to gravel doing neutral steer donuts.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I did that in Iraq with my Bradley :getin:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Is that a target boat that the Navy is testing their wave cannon on?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wasabi the J posted:

Is that a target boat that the Navy is testing their wave cannon on?

Your mom jumped in the drat ocean again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:boom:
:vince:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

ded posted:

fuckin savage

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

International seas drift.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
Cross-posting from the Russia Thread.

New supersonic, thrust-vectoring, stealth cargo plane for Russia that will be able to carry 200 tons and will totally exist and do all of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfW4jdP4SXs

This gem as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp7mM2TP_1A

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Oh hey its a 270, im i right fellow coasties?????????

ded posted:

:nsavince:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

this is an amazing look into the retarded mind of the slav. that budget optimus prime wipes out the entire us airforce in a couple minutes :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaARwhOqik

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
It's like a mod for arma that some Russian super-patriot made.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Russia has a Mike Sparks, too?

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this is an amazing look into the retarded mind of the slav. that budget optimus prime wipes out the entire us airforce in a couple minutes :allears:

My favorite part is when the operator stands directly in front of the largest weapon on the drone to do a functions check on it, after having just attached the ammo.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Maybe Russian truck drivers are better than ours, but I can't find two drivers that can back up a generator straight, much less four 40 footers.

I wonder if they're gonna deliver it via The BATTLEBOXattackgliderTM

• Locked thread