Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

what'd I do gpv/

total war shogun 2 is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GreyPowerVan posted:

Actually, the Council have changed their minds. It's good now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Actually, the Council have changed their minds. It's good now.

until i see a press release i will continue to not believe that

rome 2 is still not that great though, it doesn't feel like rome 1 at all and thats what people liked.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh ok. I'm basically brand new to this genre so I don't have any frame of reference. We've been playing civ 5 too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

civ 5 is actually poo poo (although i have a soft spot for it)

shogun 2 is not bad and mechanically is prob the best total war

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Civ 5 isn't poo poo so much as it is bland.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've enjoyed it but I find it extremely stupid that you can nuke a city and it only does like half the health bar.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

civ 5 is actually poo poo (although i have a soft spot for it)

shogun 2 is not bad and mechanically is prob the best total war

did they improve it a bunch since release because holy moley it ran like poo poo and had a lot of stupid things that they changed from previous total wars

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Please go talk about Civ V somewhere else.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
But it's still hot garbage because of a thousand different reasons. MMO-gradient power ups from techs and wonders come to mind

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

But it's still hot garbage because of a thousand different reasons. MMO-gradient power ups from techs and wonders come to mind

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I still wanna do a Cyprus -> KoJ game eventually but havent felt like it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing formables is starting to irriate the poo poo out of me because this is like the third time in a row I get all the provinces for Italy except either Lombardia or Rome and whoever holds the last province casually allies Austria, England, France, and Castille, so I just never get to form it ever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Italy is the worst formable ever.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Core reduction is nice, but at that point you don't really need it and the Italian states have better ones.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:troll:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol, like right after I posted this, Castile, Sicily's only other ally, called me into a war, so I immediately warred Sicily and annexed Rome in the peace deal. Never mind.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

So I never noticed but since money from peace is counted as tax income (now? I feel like it didn't used to be...) when your colonies beat the poo poo out of a native and get a huge lump of cash, they give you a chunk of it based on your tariffs.

I was looking at my vassal screen and was like "holy gently caress how did I get 600+ gold from tariffs?" and then realized what had just happened.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

So I never noticed but since money from peace is counted as tax income (now? I feel like it didn't used to be...)

It definitely was - you could get some very weird results with events that fired based on your tax income if you got them in the same month as a peace settlement.

Also, neat interaction!

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
decided to try an ethiopia game after the previous discussion itt. by happy accident, my final war to crush the ottomans resulted in the papal states as my vassals. wonder if I can manage to snipe enough electors to make myself HRE in the remaining 100 years; the current emperor is 2 province styria and austria's in the middle of a meltdown, so I think I could make it happen if I'm real careful not to piss off france

e: I forget do I need to move my capital to europe

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MindSet posted:

decided to try an ethiopia game after the previous discussion itt. by happy accident, my final war to crush the ottomans resulted in the papal states as my vassals. wonder if I can manage to snipe enough electors to make myself HRE in the remaining 100 years; the current emperor is 2 province styria and austria's in the middle of a meltdown, so I think I could make it happen if I'm real careful not to piss off france

e: I forget do I need to move my capital to europe

Coptics/Orthodox/Reformed can only become the HRE if the Empire had Peace of Westphalia fire during the League Wars.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

yeah, it fired. I've even managed to force convert a few HRE states when they got pulled into wars against some of the greek minors that broke off of the ottomans

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's awesome. I've never managed to beat back Mamluks and push into Europe fast enough to have a presence in the League Wars. I always get unlucky and either the Ottos go hard and conquer the Mediterranean, or the Mamluks and Ottos are best friends the whole game.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

oh, no I wasn't in the league wars. I think the peace of westphalia popped when I had just started to really have a presence in north africa. I didn't get into the balkans till almost 1700. I've just been forcing religion on all the little OPMs that croatia and serbia seem to love allying

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

I'm the HRE, but everyone hates me except my elector-vassals, so I doubt I'll be passing any reforms soon. I think this games about done, I'll probably just clown on France some more until 1821.

MindSet fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 24, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having elector vassals drains IA anyway.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
yeah but you gain some every month so it can break even.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm now double excited for HOI4 after they quasi-turned event chains into a game mechanic.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Is there a way to see the base aggressive expansion you've accumulated? I had to restart my Brandenburg run several times for going a little too fast too early.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

coaltions mapmode and mouse over the country?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

StashAugustine posted:

coaltions mapmode and mouse over the country?
That only shows other countries' opinion modifier towards me, not the base value from which that's calculated. Better than nothing, though, so thank you for reminding me of that mapmode.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your direct neighbors have the highest AE of all so yeah that's a good way to check.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Is "base AE" even an EU4 mechanic? that sounds more like EU3's infamy...

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Is "base AE" even an EU4 mechanic? that sounds more like EU3's infamy...

Kind of? But the distance modifier will basically make it so that most countries don't get any AE from what you're doing unless they're enemies of you.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Expanding in the HRE a lot will get you AE fast because of member states having same culture, having same region, and being HRE (taking HRE provinces is like double AE I think?).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah being in the HRE is basically triple AE. If you're friends with enough large countries you can usually use them to smash Poland and Lithuania and suck up that eastern territory. HRE members pretty much wont give a poo poo what you do to them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
make that man a count

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of new to map gaming. This is my current game of Crusader Kings II

How well am I doing? I've reformed the Slavic faith and completely destroyed Romuva paganism and the Old Slavic heresy, all of my neighbors are either Catholic, Iconoclast or reformed Slavic. I decided against converting to feudalism because it cuts my levies by 90% and annoys all of my vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

madeupfred posted:

I'm kind of new to map gaming. This is my current game of Crusader Kings II

How well am I doing? I've reformed the Slavic faith and completely destroyed Romuva paganism and the Old Slavic heresy, all of my neighbors are either Catholic, Iconoclast or reformed Slavic. I decided against converting to feudalism because it cuts my levies by 90% and annoys all of my vassals.

#1 priority: fix your borders