Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Well that exceeded expectations...I think the wait is going to be even more unbearable this time - like the game is a TV drama that is consistently on terrible hiatus.

The photo hunting for the journal was pretty straightforward this time. I mean come on, another squirrel picture? I did enjoy the Twin Peaks reference :allears: I'm still loving stumped on the science lab photo, like I probably spent half an hour watching Warren almost blind himself with :science: and I still couldn't figure out how to frame the camera for the photo context option.
A third of people couldn't save Kate :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Well that exceeded expectations...I think the wait is going to be even more unbearable this time - like the game is a TV drama that is consistently on terrible hiatus.

The photo hunting for the journal was pretty straightforward this time. I mean come on, another squirrel picture? I did enjoy the Twin Peaks reference :allears: I'm still loving stumped on the science lab photo, like I probably spent half an hour watching Warren almost blind himself with :science: and I still couldn't figure out how to frame the camera for the photo context option.
A third of people couldn't save Kate :smith:

Have Warren attempt the experiment once, then go ask the teacher who will tell you what chemical to use. After the experiment is successful, there will be a photo option.

In terms of the three-way choice at the end, I chose Mr. Jefferson. For Nathan's choice, the principal suspended me probably because I've been choosing a lot of anti-authority options. I didn't want to blame security guy because I had no proof that what he was doing was absolutely wrong. I mean he admits to being aggressive and mean, but I don't really think he's actually a bad guy. Mr. Jefferson was clearly in the wrong as a teacher. Kate opened up to him shortly before her suicide attempt and any high school teacher should immediately recognize what a cry for help looks like. His callous attitude toward her later when talking to Max showed that Mr. cool-guy-teacher is still kind of an rear end in a top hat. What he said to Max about Kate was just so heinous that I lost all respect for him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Mr. Jefferson had some sort of sexual relationship with Victoria and then broke it off because she was thinking he actually wanted to be with her when in reality he just wanted to gently caress his student. That's why she's so upset and why she hates Max so much because he pays more attention to Max now than her.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 24, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, okay, I'm in the minority for not wanting to straight up murder a dude in a garbage dump?

Huh.

Anyhoo, I pegged it on Nathan because, well, he seems to be the ultimate (as opposed to Jefferson's proximate) cause of this poo poo and, of the three options, he seemed like the guy who most needed to go down for something. Anything. BURN MOTHERFUCKER :unsmigghh:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The website from the mirror is real. But nothing on there, of course.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Welp. I just crashed the game because I alt-tabbed because I wanted to look up Bible verses.

This game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rosalind posted:

Have Warren attempt the experiment once, then go ask the teacher who will tell you what chemical to use. After the experiment is successful, there will be a photo option.

In terms of the three-way choice at the end, I chose Mr. Jefferson. For Nathan's choice, the principal suspended me probably because I've been choosing a lot of anti-authority options. I didn't want to blame security guy because I had no proof that what he was doing was absolutely wrong. I mean he admits to being aggressive and mean, but I don't really think he's actually a bad guy. Mr. Jefferson was clearly in the wrong as a teacher. Kate opened up to him shortly before her suicide attempt and any high school teacher should immediately recognize what a cry for help looks like. His callous attitude toward her later when talking to Max showed that Mr. cool-guy-teacher is still kind of an rear end in a top hat. What he said to Max about Kate was just so heinous that I lost all respect for him.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Mr. Jefferson had some sort of sexual relationship with Victoria and then broke it off because she was thinking he actually wanted to be with her when in reality he just wanted to gently caress his student. That's why she's so upset and why she hates Max so much because he pays more attention to Max now than her.

Funny. I blamed Nathan, but he suspended Nathan because I had squeezed evidence out of Kate because she trusted me a lot. I think there's more depth and different states for each scenario than people expect.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I really want to see how this game plays out if Kate dies. That seems like a bigger sort of decision than these kinds of games usually deal in.

e: oh jesus. bold is not spoiler.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 24, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder how they're gonna explain the eclipse. That thing can't just be handwaved away as "freak weather incident". Did the moon suddenly jump to a different place? Was it some other huuuuge object that covered up the sun instead?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

quadrophrenic posted:

I really want to see how this game plays out if Kate dies. That seems like a bigger sort of decision than these kinds of games usually deal in.

e: oh jesus. bold is not spoiler.
I'm betting you're going to get a bleaker game if they keep up this quality of reactivity. I can see Max blaming herself for not caring enough about Kate to save her and her death might drive Max and Chloe to be more ruthless at uncovering the truth than if Kate lives because now they are out to avenge her.

In retrospect I can kind of regret having David take the fall instead of Jefferson. I didn't want to incriminate Nathan regardless because I've made sure that he doesn't suspect at all that Max is on to him. David is obviously paranoid as poo poo because he sort of knows what's really going on but I chose him as the fall guy because I had enough proof that he was doing something wrong where Max wouldn't look like a liar and/or blow her cover. But yeah, should have went with Jefferson because he's getting mighty shady.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
My run has been a "Nathan Prescott is an rear end in a top hat and something should be done about him at every opportunity" run, and he's been suspended thanks to my actions so I guess I'm doing good. My regrets in this episode are damaging the train tracks and grabbing Chloe before I realized that set the choice in stone, and not figuring out how to help Warren with his experiment (or at least rewinding to see Jefferson's conversation with Kate and not redoing the huge potassium explosion).

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

My run has been a "Nathan Prescott is an rear end in a top hat and something should be done about him at every opportunity" run, and he's been suspended thanks to my actions so I guess I'm doing good.

I feel like getting this must be a Pyrrhic victory though. Like what did you have to do to get the principal to believe you? He was so intensely skeptical of me in Episode 1 when I told him about the bathroom and I've been defending Chloe a ton so I feel like that's why they mistrust me. Maybe if I was less defensive of Kate and Chloe, they'd believe me more?

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
So, uh... if a person left you a drawing of you as a severed head, vandalized your room, and wrote a message saying "DON'T MESS WITH ME BITCH" on your wall...wouldn't you want to mention that to someone?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I think my favorite moment in Episode 2 is when Chloe shoots herself if you select the wrong target for the gun. It should be upsetting, but because you can just rewind it's sort of amusing.

I've been backing up Kate and sticking it to Nathan whenever I can. The whole sequence with Kate on the roof was crazy tense, and while they could still be Telltaling it, it certainly didn't feel that way while it was happening. It's the first time where it felt that lots of little things really added up. All the adults seemed awfully cavalier about the video. Nathan was suspended because I laid it all out there, including that he likely drugged Kate, even though I have no evidence to back it up and the response about "Have you SEEN the video?" gave me pause even though it's a lovely question to ask.

Man, that's a lot of spoiler text.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 24, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hopkins FBI posted:

So, uh... if a person left you a drawing of you as a severed head, vandalized your room, and wrote a message saying "DON'T MESS WITH ME BITCH" on your wall...wouldn't you want to mention that to someone?

What proof do you have about who it is? You have no evidence it was Nathan, and since he seems to have immunity to the law in this town, what is the positive outcome of accusing him?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Karnegal posted:

What proof do you have about who it is? You have no evidence it was Nathan, and since he seems to have immunity to the law in this town, what is the positive outcome of accusing him?

I'd like to think that the game is smart enough to recognize the importance of getting the ball rolling earlier, and chipping away at his character ahead of time. Even if you can't nail the little poo poo with a metaphorical headshot this time, you can still damage his character and deflate his invincibility. The fact that they suspend him seems to support this.
At least, that's the plan for my current playthrough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
On the other hand the game's giving me a strong vibe that the Prescotts own the entire town, including the cops, so Max and Chloe are on their own here so its best keeping Max off of Nathan's radar as long as possible while Max can gather any real evidence she can.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Rosalind posted:

I feel like getting this must be a Pyrrhic victory though. Like what did you have to do to get the principal to believe you? He was so intensely skeptical of me in Episode 1 when I told him about the bathroom and I've been defending Chloe a ton so I feel like that's why they mistrust me. Maybe if I was less defensive of Kate and Chloe, they'd believe me more?

I've just been backing Kate and sticking it to Nathan the whole way. I told the principal about the bathroom incident in Episode 1, and I told Kate to go to the police and the principal in Episode 2, and when I blamed Nathan in the end, the principal mentioned both the bathroom incident and the fact that Nathan features heavily in the video as reasons to suspend him while the investigation is happening.

I like that the people in the thread are taking different paths, and already seeing different results even when we try to make the same big choice. I'm very interested to see if our accounts will diverge further as the game goes on!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I really liked episode two, even though the ending level kind of twinged my cliche alert, I didn't mind it on the whole. I liked that this episode seemed to be exploring what the limits of Max's powers are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just started the new episode but I am gonna water the poo poo out of that plant and there better be a payoff

Looks like "being nice to Victoria" and "being mean to Victoria" is what causes the biggest gameplay split.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

precision posted:

Just started the new episode but I am gonna water the poo poo out of that plant and there better be a payoff

Looks like "being nice to Victoria" and "being mean to Victoria" is what causes the biggest gameplay split.

Really? I was nice to Victoria and she was still bitchy.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

precision posted:

How so? (End of episode spoiler) I was nice to Victoria in the first Episode but gave Nathan everything he deserved, and they were both ganging up on Max when class rolled around in the second Episode. Have you had a different experience that highlights what you've said?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I've just been backing Kate and sticking it to Nathan the whole way. I told the principal about the bathroom incident in Episode 1, and I told Kate to go to the police and the principal in Episode 2, and when I blamed Nathan in the end, the principal mentioned both the bathroom incident and the fact that Nathan features heavily in the video as reasons to suspend him while the investigation is happening.

I like that the people in the thread are taking different paths, and already seeing different results even when we try to make the same big choice. I'm very interested to see if our accounts will diverge further as the game goes on!

I've been backing Kate and sticking it to Nathan all the way too. I told the principal about the bathroom incident, but I didn't tell her to go to the cops, because by that point I figured the Prescotts owned the police. Apparently, whatever I did was still enough to get Nathan suspended when I blamed him, though! :unsmith:

I like how in a game that's all about choices, they also give you choices for little, inconsequential things too, like watering the plant, or what to order in the diner.

What happens if you shoot Frank? I didn't do it since it seemed really out of character for Max (as I saw her anyway), and also because that gun scared the poo poo out of me every time it appeared on screen so I was relieved to see it taken away, even if it's in the hands of some kind of deranged vengeful loan shark or whatever.

Weirdly enough, a decision I'm iffy about is accepting Warren's invitation to go see Planet of the Apes. I'm not even sure why!

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Rincewind posted:

I've been backing Kate and sticking it to Nathan all the way too. I told the principal about the bathroom incident, but I didn't tell her to go to the cops, because by that point I figured the Prescotts owned the police. Apparently, whatever I did was still enough to get Nathan suspended when I blamed him, though! :unsmith:

I like how in a game that's all about choices, they also give you choices for little, inconsequential things too, like watering the plant, or what to order in the diner.

What happens if you shoot Frank? I didn't do it since it seemed really out of character for Max (as I saw her anyway), and also because that gun scared the poo poo out of me every time it appeared on screen so I was relieved to see it taken away, even if it's in the hands of some kind of deranged vengeful loan shark or whatever.

Weirdly enough, a decision I'm iffy about is accepting Warren's invitation to go see Planet of the Apes. I'm not even sure why!

Frank
If you choose to shoot Frank, the gun is actually empty so you end up not shooting. Then he gets mad and leaves, promising not to forget that you tried to shoot him. Chloe gets to keep the gun and is pretty happy about how it all turns out.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

checkstock posted:

Frank
If you choose to shoot Frank, the gun is actually empty so you end up not shooting. Then he gets mad and leaves, promising not to forget that you tried to shoot him. Chloe gets to keep the gun and is pretty happy about how it all turns out.

Haha, I guess it probably would have been a pretty big story fork if you really did just straight up kill a man.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rincewind posted:

My run is mostly about friendzoning Warren as much as possible. Everything else is inconsequential.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tuna posted:

My run is mostly about friendzoning Warren as much as possible. Everything else is inconsequential.

Same, I was so mad they still end up watching the eclipse together. Really hope it's not going to be like Beyond: Two Souls where I spend the entire game calling him a creep and they still end up together.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, I was so mad they still end up watching the eclipse together. Really hope it's not going to be like Beyond: Two Souls where I spend the entire game calling him a creep and they still end up together.

There is essentially no way that Warren and Brooke do not go out if you steer them in that direction. It would be like, chekhov's girlfriend, with all the buildup they've had around that concept.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I couldn't save her. :smithicide:

I ended up putting it on Nathan. And even though I didn't tell the principal about the gun when it happened, he still believed me and suspended Nathan.

But I couldn't save her.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Regarding Episode 2 and Kate

Holy poo poo I just finished talking her off the edge, and that whole entire scene was intense as gently caress. :stare: I kind have been taking the rewind power for granted, so knowing I had to go in without any crutch kept me on the edge of my seat. And I thought Max using her power to freeze time was absolutely badass.

Really enjoying Episode 2!

Huh, just noticed on the ticker tape after finishing the episode there's a link with contact information for Suicide Prevention organizations for a bunch of different countries. That's actually pretty neat of DONTNOD

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 25, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

DivisionPost posted:

I couldn't save her. :smithicide:

I ended up putting it on Nathan. And even though I didn't tell the principal about the gun when it happened, he still believed me and suspended Nathan.

But I couldn't save her.

To me this was one the biggest thing that put this ahead of Telltale for me. I can get over poor lipsynching, but that is a story beat in the second episode that Telltale hasn't come near yet.

I also think it says a lot that 1/3 of people (on day 1) failed to save her. They didn't make it so obviously easy that it felt safe. I really want to see if they can do something meaningful with the split because this is the sort of thing that's hard for CYOA games because it is a very stark difference. If they can keep her in the game I will be super impressed. I will be less impressed if she get's shipped off home or something that would remove her from the next 3 chapters.

Having just played the latest Game of Thrones episode it really highlights to me that DONTNOD is pushing forward on the genre whereas Telltale is stagnating a bit. Admittedly GoT is probably their worst game in so far as they are wildly limited by trying to tell a story in the middle of an already established story and you know certain characters are essentially immune to harm. But still, LiS really does feel like you have a lot of latitude in decision making and after only two episodes I'm surprised at the diversity you can find in multiple plays whereas GoT feels like it's on rails. The real question is will they be able to keep juggling all those options or will they start clipping things to keep variability manageable until the end.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Rincewind posted:

I'm curious to see what will happen if you say no to that or to going to the party because it seems like you're just saying no to extra content.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cant wait for a few more episodes to come out/the series to finish and try a second playthrough, where I'll be able to see just how many consequences everything causes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I'm curious to see what will happen if you say no to that or to going to the party because it seems like you're just saying no to extra content.

Although, I just remembered that That one black dude who's name I can't remember mentions you should go, and Max mentions that it sounds like a lead up to some cruel joke. He says it's never like that, but it turns out that a far worse version of that is what happened to Kate. Maybe bad poo poo happens if you get invited and don't manage to get people to like you?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I get the feeling Kate's death/survival will be relegated to conversation bits in future episodes.

She survives in my game and I got a scene with her in the hospital.

Someone will likely just mention in a later scene that's she's doing ok at the hospital, her parents visited...blah blah.

Funeral scene/memorial and an "the funeral was nice" for the alternate.

What scene do you get at the end if she dies? :ohdear:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

if each episode is going to be the events of a single day, there just isn't the time for much else in way of direct consequences, i feel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Compared to episode 1 that was hella short and had too much filler (the whole junkyard bottle hunt).

But it still hit some high notes and I get the feeling the next three will be intense. Though it's hard for me to believe we've met every important cast member already (since the character bio page is full).

And speaking of that it seems like the people the game has decided are important makes guessing about some spoilers easy.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Man, the ending was intense as gently caress. Holy poo poo, not having the rewind loving killed me there. I couldn't save her. :( I told her not to go the police and I probably picked the wrong family member to say would miss her.

On the other hand, I had no problem blaming Nathan, not just because "gently caress him", but I guess accusing him of the gun incident is enough to put the thought out there because he still got suspended. I totally agree that Jefferson is shady as gently caress, and in retrospect I probably should have gone with him because I have absolutely no proof to stick on Nathan or David.

Seriously though, a fantastic episode and if I wasn't sold on it before, I absolutely would be now.

E: I missed the firewalker and 186 photos, anyone know where they are?

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Artix posted:

E: I missed the firewalker and 186 photos, anyone know where they are?
Diner bathroom and school bus in the junkyard respectively.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snuffman posted:

What scene do you get at the end if she dies? :ohdear:

You get a cardboard memorial, complete with candles and flowers, at the base of the girl's dorm steps. Messages written on it like "YOU WILL BE MISSED." Made my blood boil a little, actually; those bitches either drove her to the roof, or didn't care enough to keep her from there. Don't say you're gonna miss her because at best you never noticed her to begin with.

A video game is making me have feelings, guys.

(I actually ended up replaying and saving her. I'm not strong enough to own my lovely choices.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

DivisionPost posted:

(I actually ended up replaying and saving her. I'm not strong enough to own my lovely choices.)

I dunno, this makes perfect sense to me, especially considering the context.

• Locked thread