Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VanSandman posted:

Does Cruz get secret service protection now? If so can we make sure he gets the incompetent drunk prostitute-loving ones?

Secret Service protection only applies to "major" presidential / vice presidential candidates beginning four months from the general election. (So, basically after the national conventions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sir Tonk posted:

https://youtu.be/j3roG09O6T4

Cmon, Obama manhandling Romney still doesn't come close to Biden destroying Ryan for ninety minutes.

I was going to a football game with my Mom the day of that debate. On the way to the game I said "Man Mom I'm really worried about Biden after Romney destroyed Obama in the first debate." My Mom (who is from Wisconsin) said "O don't worry you don't stay in politics as long as Joe Biden has without learning how to debate." and my God was she right.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Timby posted:

Secret Service protection only applies to "major" presidential / vice presidential candidates beginning four months from the general election. (So, basically after the national conventions.)

Primary candidates can also request and be granted protection if certain conditions are met. Romney, Gingrich and Santorum all had Secret Service details at some point during the 2012 primaries.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I don't understand why people are giving Cruz such a pass on signing up for Obamacare based on the fact that it is the way Senators get healthcare, yes, that is true but only for it to be government subsidized, Cruz would have been free to not have any insurance and pay the penalty or obtain it without going through the marketplace by paying out of pocket.

Of course it would be dumb for him not to take his free healthcare as a Senator, which is kind of the point of his hypocrisy on the issue.

Timby posted:

Not quite true, the President can extend it to a candidate at any time if the Secret Service deems there is a credible threat. I believe Obama got it way, way early in the cycle because racism is dead in America. I want to say Newt got it really early for some dumb reason.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Three Olives posted:

I want to say Newt got it really early for some dumb reason.

Newt requested it, because he's Newt.

I imagine Cruz will do the same.

Perry didn't need it because he had a posse of a dozen Texas State Troopers follow him everywhere :bahgawd:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Joementum posted:

Newt requested it, because he's Newt.

Yeah but it was based him claiming a "credible threat" that was absolutely ridiculous and obviously total bullshit but Newt is Newt and the optics would have been bad if Obama turned down the request so the Secret Service rolled their eyes and did it.

It's all really fuzzy but basically Newt claimed a "credible threat" and the Secret Service basically said, no, it's bullshit and you know it's bullshit but whatever, we will protect you because Obama approved your ridiculous request but it's not because your life was ever even a tiny, tiny bit at risk.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I would bet that there's a non-insignificant amount of Cruz fans who are currently reading more about the ACA than they ever have before while figuring out why it's OK for him to be on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cruz does have another option besides signing up on the federal exchange. He could go without healthcare.

Here he is getting a trophy today from one of the authors of Game Change and Double Down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe we'll get lucky and the secret service will screw up and let someone get to Cruz.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

I don't understand why people are giving Cruz such a pass on signing up for Obamacare based on the fact that it is the way Senators get healthcare, yes, that is true but only for it to be government subsidized, Cruz would have been free to not have any insurance and pay the penalty or obtain it without going through the marketplace by paying out of pocket.

Of course it would be dumb for him not to take his free healthcare as a Senator, which is kind of the point of his hypocrisy on the issue.

Because it's a stupid point. It's on the same level as "If Buffet loves taxes so much why doesn't he just pay more?"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Series DD Funding posted:

Because it's a stupid point. It's on the same level as "If Buffet loves taxes so much why doesn't he just pay more?"

I'm pretty sure that actually happened and Buffet said gently caress you I actually do add money to that stupid box at then end of my tax filing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

site posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and the secret service will screw up and let someone get to Cruz.

Unless that someone is Jeb Bush or Scott Walker that wouldn't be lucky at all

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Joementum posted:

Here he is getting a trophy today from one of the authors of Game Change and Double Down.

Also the man who won Salon's "hack of the year" competition in 2011. I'm glad to see that "he’s still both fixated solely on the horse race and also uniquely bad at analyzing the horse race".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, it's not even correct that Cruz is the first person to enter the race. If he filed with the FEC immediately he'd be the 197th.

Give that trophy to Josue Larose, who presciently filed for the 2016 race back in 2008 and heads 41 political parties, 600 PACs, and 60 super PACs.

No, seriously, give that dude a trophy :stare:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

Yeah, it's not even correct that Cruz is the first person to enter the race. If he filed with the FEC immediately he'd be the 197th.

Give that trophy to Josue Larose, who presciently filed for the 2016 race back in 2008 and heads 41 political parties, 600 PACs, and 60 super PACs.

I'm happy to see that Jeff Boss registered for 2016 the week after election 2012.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I've said a number of times that the VP choice really doesn't matter in a Presidential campaign, but Andre Ventura might just prove that wrong.

I mean, you've got to figure that gives him an advantage.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Joementum posted:

I've said a number of times that the VP choice really doesn't matter in a Presidential campaign, but Andre Ventura might just prove that wrong.

Not without a natural born American, it won't.

edit: forgot God was American

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

420DD Butts posted:

Maybe I'm not getting it, but I don't understand why a mestizo Honduran/Salvadoran/Mexican/etc. would vote for a half-Cuban white hispanic who, for all intents and purposes, seems to hate them. Even assuming that people vote purely off ethnic identity, people aren't just going to go "Oh he speaks Spanish" and forget that his entire origin and perspective is completely different from their own.
Very true. It's interesting breaking down the Hispanic (a majority of which is Mexican-American) vote in Texas for various campaigns and seeing how Cruz performed relative to Anglo Republicans.

In Cruz's 2012 Senate election, he received 40 percent of the Hispanic vote, compared to 60 percent for his Democratic opponent Paul Sadler. (But Cruz also out-performed Romney among Texas Hispanics by six points.)

In 2014, Senator John Cornyn beat Democrat David Alameel in the Hispanic vote by 48-47.

Also in 2014, Governor Greg Abbott (who ran ads in Spanish and has a Mexican-American wife) lost the Hispanic vote 55-44 to Wendy Davis (but won among Hispanic men).

This is hardly scientific! But in this highly selective and dubious sample, Cruz has underperformed among the Hispanic vote in Texas compared to Anglo Republicans.

Pinterest Mom posted:

In the general, sure. You want to get on the air on Univision.

e: (yeah Bush did it in 2014 for midterm candidates, and of course for his gubernatorial runs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wltxw2lo_m0
The Bushes have always been pretty savvy in this regard. George W. Bush's 2000 campaign was a high point. But they've also tended to focus on bread and butter issues that appeal to middle-class Hispanic voters. Texas is really the laboratory for this (but I'm less familiar with Florida) and Jeb Bush comes from that tradition:

Here's some Abbott ads from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP22f4DLLQA

He even brought in a Mexican telenovela actor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAL6sX-5ZSs

Ted Cruz is just a demagogue. Hispanic voters aren't stupid, and his campaign will implode.

Ted Cruz es una muy mala persona.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 25, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Soy Mitt Romney.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Y tu mama tambien.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Josh Lyman posted:

Y tu mama tambien.

Y tu hermana-mama tambien.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Joementum posted:

Well, at least it's less crazy than picking Palin.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

Joementum posted:

Here's hoping "Buttocks, Sydneys Voluptuous" can overcome the odds!

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Joementum posted:

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how he does that. My bet is he's laundering money through them, but complying with a lot of surface rules in order to stay off the radar. How much does it even cost to register one of those things anyway?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
All I know is that nobody is going to top "From One Alien to Another Alien... 'Lil Wayne', 'Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.', 'President Carter', Will You Marry Me? I Am God!!! :smug:" as the best campaign organization name of 2016.

Congratulations President Princess Khadijah M. Jacob-Fambro on this achievement.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Killer robot posted:

That's the point. He had to since his wife lost her employer coverage. Now he can talk about how much better her coverage was and how switching made him put up with that inferior government product.

Somehow I doubt he qualifies for the Premium tax credit, so basically he's going to buy health insurance (instead of getting it through the Senate? Wtf?) But saying yeah, my wife lost her health insurance so now I gotta buy her some is hardly a stinging indictment of Obamacare.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sullat posted:

But saying yeah, my wife lost her health insurance so now I gotta buy her some is hardly a stinging indictment of Obamacare.

Only because he wants to take that option away from millions of people that aren't wealthy government employees.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Only because he wants to take that option away from millions of people that aren't wealthy government employees.

So he should, what, refuse to buy health care and eat the penalty?

Do you also think Rand Paul should, I don't know, refuse to wear seat belts? We all follow laws that we don't agree with.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do you also think Rand Paul should, I don't know, refuse to wear seat belts?

Senator Richard Burr actually does drive around in a 1973 Volkswagon Thing, which has no seatbelts, to protest fuel efficiency standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpL9e7Bf98c

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Has it been brought up that Cruz going on Obamacare is just some political theater for him to complain more about it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do you also think Rand Paul should, I don't know, refuse to wear seat belts? We all follow laws that we don't agree with.

He should buy insurance from the private marketplace out of pocket which is what he suggests should be the only option for millions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not all of us are running for president and expected to explain the hypocrisy of being one of the biggest shitheads opposing the ACA and claiming it helps nobody and harms everyone while enrolling in marketplace coverage because your spouse essentially lost their job.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"It's just like the troublemakers in Ferguson." ~ Ben Carson, on the Syrian civil war, in an article titled What if Sarah Palin Were a Brain Surgeon?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Three Olives posted:

He should buy insurance from the private marketplace out of pocket which is what he suggests should be the only option for millions.

His job provides him coverage through the exchange. Ted Cruz is a complete poo poo heel, but he's never advocated the removal of employee benefits that existed prior to the ACA. It's some weak rear end gotcha that is loving dumb, even if it couldn't happen to a more deserving rear end in a top hat. When he repeals every letter of Obamacare on DAY ONE, Senators would still be getting health insurance through federal exchanges.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

FAUXTON posted:

Not all of us are running for president and expected to explain the hypocrisy of being one of the biggest shitheads opposing the ACA and claiming it helps nobody and harms everyone while enrolling in marketplace coverage because your spouse essentially lost their job.

I agree that it conflicts with Cruz's message, but it's not hypocrisy to draw benefits from a system you criticize. If I think the entire judicial system is corrupt and needs to be reformed, it's not hypocritical for me to call the cops. I mean, we've had tons of leftwing critics of Obamacare, including some who think things would be better off if the law had never been passed, that it's regulatory capture, etc. If one of those people has to sign up for Obamacare to receive affordable health care coverage are they hypocrites?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Periodiko posted:

I agree that it conflicts with Cruz's message, but it's not hypocrisy to draw benefits from a system you criticize. If I think the entire judicial system is corrupt and needs to be reformed, it's not hypocritical for me to call the cops. I mean, we've had tons of leftwing critics of Obamacare, including some who think things would be better off if the law had never been passed, that it's regulatory capture, etc. If one of those people has to sign up for Obamacare to receive affordable health care coverage are they hypocrites?

Yes, because suddenly they have affordable care like millions of other people they consider leeches abusing a totalitarian government handout. It isn't like he has no alternative. Cops are not a judge nor are they prosecution attorneys. It's the same as those disgusting anti-choice animals who roll their mistress/daughter/victim in for a discreet abortion so they aren't distracted from their day job of making it illegal or at the very least inaccessible to anyone without the ability to travel internationally on a week's notice.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 25, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, because suddenly they have affordable care like millions of other people they consider leeches abusing a totalitarian government handout. It isn't like he has no alternative.

Who would be impressed by Ted Cruz purchasing an off-exchange health care plan? This is silly.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Pinterest Mom posted:

Who would be impressed by Ted Cruz purchasing an off-exchange health care plan? This is silly.

It's the sort of thing that would get him rightfully mocked here, really.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinterest Mom posted:

His base, who'd applaud him for "principals." (I feel I need to explain I'm aware of the spelling issue there because I put it there intentionally.) Keep in mind the class of filth you're dealing with here - these fucksticks filed suit claiming they were injured in some fashion by their eligibility for exchange subsidy. Literally "I was harmed by having cheaper insurance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

His base, who'd applaud him for "principals." (I feel I need to explain I'm aware of the spelling issue there because I put it there intentionally.) Keep in mind the class of filth you're dealing with here - these fucksticks filed suit claiming they were injured in some fashion by their eligibility for exchange subsidy. Literally "I was harmed by having cheaper insurance."

I don't think you can plausibly claim to speak for Cruz's base.

• Locked thread