Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im still waiting for Grove of the burnwillows in every color combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Im still waiting for Grove of the burnwillows in every color combo

I'm all about the blue/black one of these

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah and UW. Those would be gross. I think river of tears could be a cycle, 20 cards at that. We have Ub in river, but they could swap it and have Bu. So that's 80 cards in rare lands for a standard collection. Sounds like a good way to sell packs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having your opponent gain life is not a meaningful cost in a lot of decks, it makes sense to never complete that cycle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just want enemy SOM fastlands.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Madmarker posted:

I just want enemy fetches printed at common in Battle for Zendikar.

It could happen right?

No, it couldn't

The Mirage tap-fetchlands count, right?

I just want a set of enemy duals for my uncommons-only cube so I can get rid of the Tempest tap-painlands, which have the double blow of being incredibly lovely and also feeling cheaty because of the "online-only uncommon" thing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Having your opponent gain life is not a meaningful cost in a lot of decks, it makes sense to never complete that cycle.

Agree. All the blue ones are basically just ABU duals that can't be fetched. Oh no, I gave you a life while comboing off with my splinter twin deck. I shall have to bring forth 1,001 Deceiver Exarchs.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah it skews way better towards combo and control decks than aggro. And that is probably exactly why the only version of it is in RG which is about as low as you can go in combo/control.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So, how has the new pptq system been working out for everyone? I've gone to a few, sticking to limited and the one modern one we get per season in my area (Seattle).

- Has the fact you need an L2 head judge turned out to be a problem like some anticipated?
- How have you found the competition?
- How are they different from old ptqs?
- How is the prize support?
- Do the stores in your area coordinate scheduling?
- Is it a better system?

For me, I kinda miss the big 300 person ptqs since that was the last big 'central' tournament once they got rid of regional prereleases. Six rounds is not all that different from nine and you'll have at least 3 PT or SCG invitational competitors in the top 8 anyway :/ Stores also know people will do what it takes to qualify so they can overcharge for entrance and skimp horribly on prize support.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dramoka's Command is SO SO good. I really liked Abzan Advantage as a card and this is just strictly better. It's an easy 4-of in Abzan Aggro, probably a 2 or 3 of in Midrange and some number of in Gw devotion too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Dramoka's Command is SO SO good. I really liked Abzan Advantage as a card and this is just strictly better.

Yes, I love it, it's strictly better in my Jeskai deck

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Is it a better system?

I'm going to say yes. It allows smaller communities to be involved, and that's all it needs I'd say.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Dramoka's Command is SO SO good. I really liked Abzan Advantage as a card and this is just strictly better. It's an easy 4-of in Abzan Aggro, probably a 2 or 3 of in Midrange and some number of in Gw devotion too.

Yeah the card's great and will definitely be the most played of the new Commands. I'm not entirely sold on playing it main, but there will definitely be multiples in my sideboard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Yeah the card's great and will definitely be the most played of the new Commands. I'm not entirely sold on playing it main, but there will definitely be multiples in my sideboard.

I think there was a decent argument for Abzan Advantage in the main in the last standard. This is easily main deckable.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

I actually do think it's a maindeck card. Enchantment removal is great, but it's also an anti-anger/roast card, and a removal spell all at once. It will almost never be a dead card in hand. I'm working on a g/w aggro build and I think I want at least 3 main.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I think there was a decent argument for Abzan Advantage in the main in the last standard. This is easily main deckable.

My concern is that there are a lot of popiular decks in Standard right now where the first two modes aren't relevant. Against a deck like R/W the card is stone cold amazing, but against UB or Sultai Control, the card is basically useless. I've tested a bunch with the card among our group of local players against various builds, and the card is great in some matchups and not great in others. For the main deck, I prefer to have every card in my deck at least marginally useful against the field.

Again, I'm not knocking the card. I will absolutely bring it in against a lot of decks.

Edit 2: Thinking more about it, you might be right that the card might be really good in Abzan Aggro main, as +1/+1 and Fight is a lot more relevant in that deck. I was testing with the midrange/control build.

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 24, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I actually do think it's a maindeck card. Enchantment removal is great, but it's also an anti-anger/roast card, and a removal spell all at once. It will almost never be a dead card in hand. I'm working on a g/w aggro build and I think I want at least 3 main.

Whats the incentive to play GW instead of Abzan where you have access to the 2-3 best creatures in standard? Are you playing Mastery/Raptor?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Whats the incentive to play GW instead of Abzan where you have access to the 2-3 best creatures in standard? Are you playing Mastery/Raptor?

I'm wanting to try a low-curve aggro, 22 land or so. Hoping to abuse collected company and the new anafenza as well. It's too hard to play a 3 color aggro with a low curve in the current manabase. Just trying to have fun and make something reminiscent of the white weenie/gw aggro of last standard.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I haven't gone to one, mostly because assuming I do well, I'm probably already investing a full day to play in a PPTQ and if I somehow do win, I'm now probably going to need to leave town to play in the regional one. So now I'm either leaving bleary eyed before the sun comes up, and playing already exhausted, or getting a hotel in town and leaving the night before. Neither of those seems very appealing, so I just don't go to PPTQ's.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So, how has the new pptq system been working out for everyone? I've gone to a few, sticking to limited and the one modern one we get per season in my area (Seattle).

- Has the fact you need an L2 head judge turned out to be a problem like some anticipated?
- How have you found the competition?
- How are they different from old ptqs?
- How is the prize support?
- Do the stores in your area coordinate scheduling?
- Is it a better system?

For me, I kinda miss the big 300 person ptqs since that was the last big 'central' tournament once they got rid of regional prereleases. Six rounds is not all that different from nine and you'll have at least 3 PT or SCG invitational competitors in the top 8 anyway :/ Stores also know people will do what it takes to qualify so they can overcharge for entrance and skimp horribly on prize support.

1. Not really, but my area has a lot of judges.
2. It's a bit weaker since we don't have as many grinders driving long distances, they probably have closer PPTQS to go to.
3. Less people and a more local atmosphere, you can get a sense of a local meta, where you couldn't under the old system. Venues aren't as nice, I've been to some crap hole game stores, while Wizards picked the best ones for the old PTQs.
4. Nothing to write home about, and varies from store to store.
5. In general, yes. Stores in the same town generally avoid scheduling on the same day, but the local community is small enough to make that happen.
6. I'd say on balance yes, but some improvements could be made. I'd make the RPTQ a two day event, and have an open tournament for 1 PT slot on the second day. Have it be a kind of mini-GP.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There are two stores in my area and twice in a row now they've gotten into petty slapfights about when to schedule their PreTQs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

I just want enemy SOM fastlands.

Yeah, I'd like that. I think after the Zendikar fetch reprints that seem a lock now, I think that's the sort of thing they want to slot in between existing eternal staple duals, like Scry temples between Shocks and Fetches. Maybe they would be eternal contenders themselve, so too powerful, but I got the impression the M12/Innistrad buddy lands or Lorwyn filters would be the next candidates to facilitate that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was surprised when they got rid of the M10 Buddy-lands in M14, but it makes sense now in retrospect, with shocklands leaving and a 3-color set coming in, reprinting painlands instead let them give 3-color decks without shocklands decent manabases.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm not a fan of the medium sized tournaments (IQs) where if you make top 8, you don't even get your money back. A lot of PPTQs in the area are following this model.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm pretty sure that RDW is going to be putting forward some legit tournament results from here on out. Deck has gotten way better since the days of a few months back where it was a fringe 50 cent Sligh deck. It can be quite hard to beat, especially as control.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure that RDW is going to be putting forward some legit tournament results from here on out. Deck has gotten way better since the days of a few months back where it was a fringe 50 cent Sligh deck. It can be quite hard to beat, especially as control.

It already was. Wasn't there 2 or 3 of them in the top 8 of a GP recently?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It already was. Wasn't there 2 or 3 of them in the top 8 of a GP recently?

This is true, its already good, but only about a month or two back everyone was playing that crappy sligh version that was so popular in this thread. Unfortunately, the new one isn't cheap at all with 4 Rabblemasters and 4 Stokes in it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

This is true, its already good, but only about a month or two back everyone was playing that crappy sligh version that was so popular in this thread.

The version with all the enchantments and combat tricks sucked. The new one with Mardu Scout and Heelcutter is where you want to be at.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think there's an argument to be made for the new version to drop Rabblemasters from the deck. Card often dies before doing anything and 3 mana is basically an entire turn for the deck. It seems like 4 Zurgo in its place runs a lot better.

Also not sure whether or not Lightning Berserker will end up being main or sideboard. Card is insane against control but really awful against any decks running 1/1s.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

I think there's an argument to be made for the new version to drop Rabblemasters from the deck. Card often dies before doing anything and 3 mana is basically an entire turn for the deck. It seems like 4 Zurgo in its place runs a lot better.

Also not sure whether or not Lightning Berserker will end up being main or sideboard. Card is insane against control but really awful against any decks running 1/1s.

Rabblemaster can still take over games despite dying to removal, in my experience from last FNM, and the fact that he's such a lightning rod for removal has cost opponents who were too eager to kill him rather than a Foundry-Street Denizen who kept buffing up for chunks of life. Besides, by making Rabblemaster such a threat and focusing people to use singleton removal, it increases the value of cards like Hordeling Outburst.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

bhsman posted:

Rabblemaster can still take over games despite dying to removal, in my experience from last FNM, and the fact that he's such a lightning rod for removal has cost opponents who were too eager to kill him rather than a Foundry-Street Denizen who kept buffing up for chunks of life. Besides, by making Rabblemaster such a threat and focusing people to use singleton removal, it increases the value of cards like Hordeling Outburst.

You may be right and I haven't come to a definitive conclusion either way, but the more I test Mono-R with DTK cards, the less I ever want to cast Rabblemaster. When your opponent passes holding mana up, you can just tell that there's no way your Rabblemaster isn't immediately getting killed, and it feels so annoying wasting an entire turn confirming that fact on the off chance they don't have it and you can take over. I'd much rather have either Hordling Outburst, which requires specifically Bile Blight to deal with, or two cheaper spells in my hand so that I can beat them on tempo even if they have a removal in hand.

Right now I'm running 4 Zurgo, 4 Mardu Scout, 4 Foundry Street, 4 Swiftspear, and 4 Firedrinker, and I can't see cutting any of those for Rabblemaster.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Sucks poo poo. I don't see there ever being a limited PPTQ in Finland (Milwaukee will have three standard, two modern in the whole country, with I think two advanced level stores that could hold one but don't. Issue for our LGS, which is not holding one, is I guess the combination of nearest L2 being 500 km away and there probably not being enough interest to cover the costs.). Nearest regional is across the Baltic in southern Sweden (or alternatively over the Russian border sometimes in St. Petersburg) and I don't see Finland hosting a RPTQ.

I mean, obviously the market for the game determines how the PTQ system geographically pans out, and I am living on the northern edge of a very small magic market. But having went went from two real PTQs per PT, plus Nationals with real Worlds (= PT) invites, to first no Nationals, then no Nationals and one PTQ per PT, to no Nationals and no PTQs, is frankly pretty sad. We used to fill up a car and drive south for a PTQ, or make plane trip to Helsinki for one, but now that the whole process involves first doing that for PPTQ, and then making pretty much an another trip abroad for the RPTQ, I don't see many Finns on the tour in the future.

WMCQ circuit is sadly the biggest Magic tournament series left, and that's a lukewarm replacement for the fun magic weekend that Nationals (and the Nationals qualifiers circuit before that) was.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

qbert posted:

Right now I'm running 4 Zurgo, 4 Mardu Scout, 4 Foundry Street, 4 Swiftspear, and 4 Firedrinker, and I can't see cutting any of those for Rabblemaster.

That is pretty much my line up as well, though I'm only running 3 Zurgo because I was finding 4 to be much, much to clunky. I want to test rabblemaster more, but I don't own any, and really don't feel like picking them up atm.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^Honestly if Rabblemaster's cost is an issue (though even a singleton can do some good work), just avoid picking up any copies since it'll rotate by October anyways and red has a lot of good pieces post-rotation anyways.

qbert posted:

You may be right and I haven't come to a definitive conclusion either way, but the more I test Mono-R with DTK cards, the less I ever want to cast Rabblemaster. When your opponent passes holding mana up, you can just tell that there's no way your Rabblemaster isn't immediately getting killed, and it feels so annoying wasting an entire turn confirming that fact on the off chance they don't have it and you can take over. I'd much rather have either Hordling Outburst, which requires specifically Bile Blight to deal with, or two cheaper spells in my hand so that I can beat them on tempo even if they have a removal in hand.

This is my current built and the only real difference from the list I ran last week is -4 Firedrinker Satyr and +2 Zurgo, +2 Lightning Berserker and I went bye -> beat Sultai control 2-1 -> beat Temur Aggro 2-0 -> beat Abzan Whip, and then lost 0-2 to GW Devotion wherein I had a starting hand in game 2 with 4 lands, kept, and proceeding to draw 5 in a row :suicide: That's 9 of my 20 lands for those of you keeping track at home.

Of the creatures you mentioned, Firedrinker is the easiest to cut, IMO. You already have a few cheap aggro creatures in Zurgo and Scout, and Rabblemaster brings a whole lot more to the party. If red is a popular color in your meta I'd strongly recommend not running any Firedrinkers at all (it's cost me more than a few game 1s before immediately sideboarding them out in every single game, which I do for every matchup anyways), moreso if you are planning to attend a large event and need more of an all-comers list.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Have you guys tested Dragon Fodder in the deck? I kinda wanna run Goblins with Obelisk for Game Day but that's probably just worse than a more optimized Best Cards plan.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm testing two fodder and two outburst right now, and I'm thinking about going 3-2 because fodder is such a good card throughout the game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

Have you guys tested Dragon Fodder in the deck? I kinda wanna run Goblins with Obelisk for Game Day but that's probably just worse than a more optimized Best Cards plan.

Fodder and Dragon Whisperer are cards I really want to try but just haven't gotten enough copies of yet; I could see it replacing Outburst in certain builds and I don't think the Obelisk of Urd idea is that crazy, either.

EDIT: I think Dragon Whisperer could be crazy good, though. Evasion, pump, AND a potential game-ender ability? Woof.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dang with just the good Goblins you get Denizen, Frenzied, Scout, Heelcutter, Rabblemaster, plus Fodder and Outburst. But if you ran the full compliment of all of those you'd need to run like 22 lands at least to make sure you hit your 3s every game.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Does anyone know why there's never been a cycle of simple enter the board untapped, non-typed dual lands?

They seem like they'd be extremely printable and wouldn't unbalance standard or modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

Dang with just the good Goblins you get Denizen, Frenzied, Scout, Heelcutter, Rabblemaster, plus Fodder and Outburst. But if you ran the full compliment of all of those you'd need to run like 22 lands at least to make sure you hit your 3s every game.

That's 28 cards, so add 20 mountains, 4 Stoke, 4 Obelisk, 4 Wild Slash? :v:

• Locked thread