Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

djdanno13 posted:

Not really as you could just say it's the last time he would take a guest around the track with him. Plus you know, you're talking about a charity ball auction, who sues over a charity ball?
Probably the BBC, seeing how determined they are to not so much shoot themselves in the foot as blow their legs off with a Gatling gun over this. They're looking at cancelling Top Gear Live now, despite BBC Worldwide usually operating as a separate company with separate contracts, as they hopelessly flail about trying to meaningfully punish a belligerent millionaire who doesn't give a toss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Edit - nevermind. No derail for a SJW post from two weeks ago.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 24, 2015

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'm fairly sure cloudchamber is a troll. Nobody could wring their hands that much without bursting into flames.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Yeah it was supposed to be a riff on that Stewart Lee gag. I like Top Gear. Honest.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

smackfu posted:

Yeah, really made me appreciate how quotes with profanity in them come across way harsher in print than in a recording.

Not just that, but when I saw the video of the "A profanity laden rant" I expected a lot less about what they were auctioning and a lot more excitement and swearing

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11493270/Jeremy-Clarkson-to-be-sacked-by-the-BBC.html

:(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As a fan of the meta-narratives surrounding certain cultural phenomena, I'm just as glad it's gonna go out with a bang. It would have sucked to see it wither away like some normal show that doesn't know how or when to quit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I wonder how much money Top Gear as a franchise pulls in for the BBC. It has hurt them quite a bit to shut the whole show down.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I bet they know deep down they can't save it by bringing in Chris Evans or whoever, but what have they got to lose by trying? Might as well at least milk the residual goodwill for as long as it lasts.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Sounds like they plan to keep the show on the air with a new host(s)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Since Hammond and May are leaving also, I'm looking forward to the new Top Gear featuring only the Stig.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Never thought I'd see the day when I looked forward to watching TGUSA more than TGUK. If Hammond and May leave as well, so does my enthusiasm for watching.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mod sassinator posted:

I wonder how much money Top Gear as a franchise pulls in for the BBC. It has hurt them quite a bit to shut the whole show down.

£50M according to that article.

I am sad.

If all 3 go, they might as well give up and make it a reality show about benefits or a sitcom about periods. It is a hell of a shadow for any replacements to be under.

Calling it now: The Guardian will give the story more prominance and number of articles than today's aircrash.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
New Top Gear will be worse than 80s Top Gear.

Netflix Top Gear will be great.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Would.
I want it so bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This was exactly what I thought reading that story. Netflix better throw the money truck at Clarkson and secure him... I wonder if there are non-compete clauses in their current contracts that would affect future work?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

meatpimp posted:

This was exactly what I thought reading that story. Netflix better throw the money truck at Clarkson and secure him... I wonder if there are non-compete clauses in their current contracts that would affect future work?

I can't imagine there aren't some kind of non-compete clauses in the contracts, but I wonder if Netflix might be a bit of a loophole since it isn't a broadcast or cable network.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like to think that right about 45 minutes ago, Clarkson's agent's phone started being tied up more or less permanently and Netflix and HBO and Showtime all simultaneously locked their pitch teams in rooms for all-nighters.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

New Top Gear will be worse than 80s Top Gear.

I refer you to Arrested Development season 4.

I've been hurt before.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Chris Harris as "The Hammond"
Henry Catchpole as "Second Lieutenant Slow"
Dickie Meaden as "The Shorter, Fatter Clarkson"

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

azflyboy posted:

I can't imagine there aren't some kind of non-compete clauses in the contracts, but I wonder if Netflix might be a bit of a loophole since it isn't a broadcast or cable network.

One would think, but i wonder what the situation was with Tiff Needell back in 2001? He was part of Top Gear from 1987 until 2001 and then switched to Fifth Gear in 2002. Mind you, officially, Top Gear was canceled in 2001 and brought back in 2002, so maybe that has something to do with it, but not sure.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm very sad, why the gently caress would he punch this loving guy ? gently caress you Jeremy

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Well I'm annoyed about it, but it's the only way on, the BBC couldn't have covered up an assault (they've a terrible record of trying this) so yes, gently caress Clarkson for ruining it.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Meh, it's all scripted anyways.

:suicide:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Data Graham posted:

I like to think that right about 45 minutes ago, Clarkson's agent's phone started being tied up more or less permanently and Netflix and HBO and Showtime all simultaneously locked their pitch teams in rooms for all-nighters.

Yeah, wasn't the Nurburgring for sale recently too? If someone snatched that up and then Clarkson, Hammond, May, etc. they could make a hell of a new Top Gear test track.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
looking forward to the next 5 seasons of Top Gear's slow descent into hell.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure Clarkson's contract was up this year anyway. Is this similar to the Conan O'Brien thing from a few years ago? Conan quit his show but Jeremy was fired. Is his contract still valid in that he can't make a different car show until it runs out? Could he work on a new show then release it when his contract is up?

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Is chris evans interesting or good? I'm not from the UK so I've never seen him in anything other than the one top gear segment and I found that to be pretty boring. In my mind he is british jay leno.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If he really is British Jay Leno, that can't be too bad. Jay Leno isn't funny, but he can talk about cars.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Scrambles posted:

Is chris evans interesting or good? I'm not from the UK so I've never seen him in anything other than the one top gear segment and I found that to be pretty boring. In my mind he is british jay leno.

He's a very self confident breakfast DJ.

Intelligent and can talk non-stop for hours. Tends to be the singular centre of attention. Not my particular cup of tea, but not the worse choice out there.

No doubt -whoever comes in is going to be so gagged by his bbc
bosses about what he can say, it will end up being very bland.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Keep in mind that the Independent is reporting something that hasn't been announced, and all the rest are reporting the fact that the Independent published a report.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

This is going to end up for the best. Top Gear with unlimited budget and no censors on 4k on Netflix will be glorious.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Comrade Flynn posted:

This is going to end up for the best. Top Gear with unlimited budget and no censors on 4k on Netflix will be glorious.

If it happens. Let's not get carried away now...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scrambles posted:

I keep thinking Graham Norton is him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A new Top Gear on Netflix isn't going to have an unlimited budget. They will also have different restrictions. While they could now say whatever they want like swears and offensive remarks, they would no longer be able to use whatever music they want. It will be a trade off I guess. I'm sure they will still be able to license appropriate music for the segments.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Cojawfee posted:

A new Top Gear on Netflix isn't going to have an unlimited budget. They will also have different restrictions. While they could now say whatever they want like swears and offensive remarks, they would no longer be able to use whatever music they want. It will be a trade off I guess. I'm sure they will still be able to license appropriate music for the segments.

Music aspect is going to be interesting, considering how many tracks they (Netflix) changed already for the older episodes they've put up. Biggest one, for me, was Born in the USA in the Vietnam special. They changed it to something completely different and the episode definitely lost some flair because of it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PenguinScotty posted:

Music aspect is going to be interesting, considering how many tracks they (Netflix) changed already for the older episodes they've put up. Biggest one, for me, was Born in the USA in the Vietnam special. They changed it to something completely different and the episode definitely lost some flair because of it.

I think the music changes are actually made by the BBC for overseas distribution, not Netflix. When Top Gear airs on BBC America, it has the same changed music (and occasionally shortened episodes) that showed up on Netflix and Amazon (before they dropped all their BBC content).

I'm guessing the changes are probably for all overseas distribution, since Netflix in Canada has the same changes made to episodes that show up on Netflix in the US.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

azflyboy posted:

I think the music changes are actually made by the BBC for overseas distribution, not Netflix. When Top Gear airs on BBC America, it has the same changed music (and occasionally shortened episodes) that showed up on Netflix and Amazon (before they dropped all their BBC content).

I'm guessing the changes are probably for all overseas distribution, since Netflix in Canada has the same changes made to episodes that show up on Netflix in the US.

Not just overseas: when they show old series on other UK channels, they change most of the music.

The BBC has the legal right to play any copyrighted music it wants. It's a great quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Sh4 posted:

I'm very sad, why the gently caress would he punch this loving guy ? gently caress you Jeremy

The guy gets paid millions to dick around with incredible cars and act like a lovable idiot all over the world, and still throws a tantrum over not getting his nummies on time. They could fly a master chef out to his location to cook him his drat steak and chips then blow him after, but nope time to poo poo all over the greatest show on TV. He must have wanted it to end, or he's been in-character a bit too long and forgot how to shut it off.