Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Even that has its risks. My sister and her boyfriend were going to have a nice, modest wedding until our dad offered to pay for it and kept urging them to "make it special". Their budget ended up around $75,000. Then today he told her he can't afford to pay for it anymore :thumbsup:

Their wedding is a week from tomorrow so there's no way to get any of their deposits back.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH oh holy god that is the worst. Nothing like spending a down payment on a wedding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Even that has its risks. My sister and her boyfriend were going to have a nice, modest wedding until our dad offered to pay for it and kept urging them to "make it special". Their budget ended up around $75,000. Then today he told her he can't afford to pay for it anymore :thumbsup:

Their wedding is a week from tomorrow so there's no way to get any of their deposits back.

Your dad is either a douche or a master troll.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My vision went white trying to imagine how that would feel

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't think your sister will ever talk to your dad again.

Can't really blame her on that one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

I don't think your sister will ever talk to your dad again.

Thereby saving him Christmas and birthday expenses. Good with money!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Mandingo posted:

Bad with money: How Do I Become a Millionaire, also I want to buy a Lambo or maybe a Tesla

Guy wants to become a millionaire, plans to do so include buying a Lambo (and doing the maintenance himself???) or a Tesla, or becoming a slumlord.

Good with money: buy house, take out heloc, buy tesla with heloc, live in house for 5+ years without making a payment by fighting the foreclosure.

And w/r/t weddings, I went to school with these two and am friends of friends with them.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/lawsuit-of-the-day-jilted-lawyer-bride-sues-sidley-associate-for-wedding-expenses/

Tldr , successful suit against ex fiance for 60k+ in wedding deposits.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Irish country weddings can be huge. I'm talking 300-400 people because everyone in the village has to go. Including every member of the local football and hurling teams. And their plus one. You get a lot of the money back in gifts. I guess the bad with money part is living in a village. A coworker of mine was still being invited to every wedding years after moving to the big smoke. One year he spent over 10 grand on just attending weddings and stags. Some sessions though!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wow....

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wait wait wait.

Whose name was on the agreements with venues and such?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Good with money: buy house, take out heloc, buy tesla with heloc, live in house for 5+ years without making a payment by fighting the foreclosure.

And w/r/t weddings, I went to school with these two and am friends of friends with them.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/lawsuit-of-the-day-jilted-lawyer-bride-sues-sidley-associate-for-wedding-expenses/

Tldr , successful suit against ex fiance for 60k+ in wedding deposits.

There's this gem further down in the article.

quote:

Buttitta sought a whopping $95,000 in expenses, including $12,000 for flowers, $10,000 for an orchestra, and over $5,000 for a “non-returnable Wedding dress, veil and hair accessory.” Vito Salerno — great name, right? — fired back with a lawsuit of his own, seeking the return of a $45,500 engagement ring (three carats — wow).

With $12k in flowers and $10k for an orchestra it would have been pretty awesome.

AbsenceVsThinAir
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.

*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is your dad's name Michael Scott?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I think my wedding came out in the 7k range, mini honeymoon right after and main honeymoon travel to SFO included. Unless you do a potluck dinner or something along those lines, its hard to get a package wedding less than 2-3k for a decent amount of extended family. The best with money thing that happened for us is when we signed on at like 35 dollar a plate on a steam boat (price included the ceremony on the boat) we got in right before they made open bar an addon charge per person.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Part of me wants to say dick move, the other part wants to ask if your dad was kept in the loop in regards to how expensive the total was getting. If he was expecting like 15-30k and then they came to him with the 75k at the very end he might not be completely to blame on that.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Well, they settled, and for an undisclosed sum - it never actually went to court. Somewhat different than what calling it a successful suit implies.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Dillbag posted:

95% of the money we spent on our wedding we received back in cash gifts for our honeymoon (mostly from our parents).

Wedding... equity?

Are you Chinese?

It's not necessarily the case these days, but apparently in the past, in HK it was possible to make money when you hosted the wedding banquet. Traditional wedding gifts in Chinese culture are cash in red envelopes.

Then wedding planning turns into a cash flow problem, not an equity one. Can you afford to front the $30,000 for 300 guests at $100 per plate until after you receive the red envelopes?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the littlest prince posted:

Well, they settled, and for an undisclosed sum - it never actually went to court. Somewhat different than what calling it a successful suit implies.

Again, I personally know them. The settlement was in full.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sounds like someone violated the confidentiality terms of the settlement agreement!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mantle posted:

Are you Chinese?

It's not necessarily the case these days, but apparently in the past, in HK it was possible to make money when you hosted the wedding banquet. Traditional wedding gifts in Chinese culture are cash in red envelopes.

Then wedding planning turns into a cash flow problem, not an equity one. Can you afford to front the $30,000 for 300 guests at $100 per plate until after you receive the red envelopes?

Where I live, we have a traditional pre-wedding fundraiser. People are charged ten bucks to get into a hall, usually a community club or Legion (Canadian VFA), drinks cost the legal minimum and there are raffle prizes often donated by local businesses. Depending on how heavy your friends drink, this can get you into the high four figures/low five figures. There is usually some illegal bottle swapping to get up there, but it isn't unheard of at rural parties because they basically serve as a bar to go to that night in a community that may not otherwise have one.

This continues on to the wedding where the bride and groom are given a cash presentation rather than gifts. The wedding thing comes from a Ukrainian tradition and makes a lot of sense and saves people the headache of trying to track down a nonsense item on a gift registry. And I appreciate the honesty of, "hey, we need stuff, but we can't count on you not to screw it up. Give us the cost of your meal plus fifty bucks or so, and we'll be happy not to return six of the seven identical toaster that we got from Sears. Have a good night, thanks for coming."

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Mandingo wedding talk below!

Good with money: Convincing Mrs. Mandingo to do a courthouse wedding

Bad with money: Mrs. Mandingo's mom and grandma convincing her to have a wedding 8 months later

Good with money: Getting Mrs. Mandingo's mom to pay for our honeymoon

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I choked on my tea reading this, goddamn.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How often do people get away with promising themselves to elope and actually follow through with it? I've been very upfront with the few women in my life where I've discussed the idea of marriage that I think the entire wedding industry is one of those "American Dream" shams that bilks people out of money for some stupid image race that nobody's winning. I usually close with a proposition that we can either go to somewhere like Galapagos and do our thing, or get stuck in some hotel ball room with a bunch of people chewing through mediocre meals. Usually they're on board, but I also can't really say that these women plan to follow through as we as couples have never been at the stage to find out. Luckily, being single can be very good with money.

Edit: I forgot to mention that last week, my friend came home to find that his girlfriend had put the mail on the counter and the top letter was WELLS FARGO JEWELRY FINANCING lol what a loving beatdown. He was pissed that she knew he was going to propose, but now it would be "a thing" since she'd expect it on the upcoming vacation but he wanted to propose after the vacation. It is pretty dumb to put that on the outside of the letter. Jesus Christ, Wells Fargo. I thought she should've been pissed that they have a mortgage and here he was, financing a loving ring but they're pretty traditional and there's nothing more traditional than accumulating depreciating assets and debt.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 25, 2015

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
My gf wants to get married & I don't. I told her she can propose but I'm not doing a wedding. Luckily her friend/coworker just got married and was 2x a maid of honor so seeing her go through it has soured her. Her brother just got married 2 weeks ago and the entire thing was in a hotel & super low key. I could probably be talked into something like that I guess. It means nothing to me (I have 1 family member) though so I realllllly don't want to spend money on it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My wife and I spent some money on a wedding, but had a lot of help from family and friends (free venue, gifted a wedding cake from a baker-friend, won a contest for professional photography, her mom/dad helped with catering). I think we spent a couple grand, and had one of the best days of our lives in an outdoor wedding with great food, live band, lots of booze.

It was worth it for us just for the fantastic memories, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend any more than we did. I don't regret it at all, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have been ok with eloping and taking a trip instead.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I'm not sure why someone would hire an Orchestra when a string quartet would be much more appropriate for a wedding.

Unless you want your wedding to be a concert???

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Jesus H Christ on a friggin cracker....

Our 1st wedding was just us, my cousin and some witness we dragged in from the other room at the courthouse. Nice and easy. Dinner at the Homestyle Buffet. Wooooo classy!!! Cost us less than $150 bucks in total. Rings were less than 1k, his and hers.

My father cried when he heard the news. Not because we got married without my parents there, and not because he was happy for me....it was because he was thrilled beyond words that I was "his own true baby girl taking after her cheapass daddy" and not having him pay for it.

So then my mom was upset cos she wanted to be there. Fine. Cue wedding 2.

My family lives in LA, so we drove to Vegas, my dad paid for a wedding package at the Excalibur. So, it was me and my husband, my parents, my brother, one aunt and my moms best friends and her family. In total, it came to about $4k for the ceremony, renting of the dress, flowers, music, pictures, the reception in the hotel room, and the dinner at the Medieval Times thingy they had there. My aunt made our cake (we had a normal one plus a sugar free one for the diabetics in the family) We reused the rings we already had lol

Again my dad was thrilled because we didn't see the point in paying for a big wedding, and he got off easier than his buddies who just paid $63k for his daughters wedding.

Then, we flew back to the UK to see his family, and they were a bit sad that since they could not travel due to medical conditions, they missed out. SOOOOO cue wedding 3 lol Courthouse again, borrowed a gown from a friend, and had the reception at the pub down the street. Came to about $1k total US iirc.

So...we had 3 weddings and all ended up being about $7k all together for all the weddings, food, and whatnot. Dad still teases me about 3 wedding in 3 years to the same guy....we get married now every year as a joke in different areas on our anniversary. This last year (our 15th!) we got married at Alki Beach by our friend who is an internet ordained minister of funny walks or something like that.

Maybe I am my dad's daughter in that respect...I never wanted the big fairytale wedding. I was just happy to have a guy who loved me and could put up with my nutcase of a family, and I didn't want to spend money on a wedding. There are so many better things I wanted to spend money on!! Like, emergency accts, and retirement funds :P

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 25, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
There really needs to be a "Bad with Money: Wedding edition!" thread that's totally separate from this one.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Rudager posted:

There really needs to be a "Bad with Money: Wedding edition!" thread that's totally separate from this one.

Yeah I am right in the midst of this. It went from "our parents are paying for everything!" to 'well, the parents are getting the venue, food & bev, DJ and rehearsal...we can get the rest..." and I'm now finding out how ludicrously priced everything related to weddings is. $1500 for linens? really?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Blinkman987 posted:

How often do people get away with promising themselves to elope and actually follow through with it? I've been very upfront with the few women in my life where I've discussed the idea of marriage that I think the entire wedding industry is one of those "American Dream" shams that bilks people out of money for some stupid image race that nobody's winning. I usually close with a proposition that we can either go to somewhere like Galapagos and do our thing, or get stuck in some hotel ball room with a bunch of people chewing through mediocre meals. Usually they're on board, but I also can't really say that these women plan to follow through as we as couples have never been at the stage to find out. Luckily, being single can be very good with money.

Edit: I forgot to mention that last week, my friend came home to find that his girlfriend had put the mail on the counter and the top letter was WELLS FARGO JEWELRY FINANCING lol what a loving beatdown. He was pissed that she knew he was going to propose, but now it would be "a thing" since she'd expect it on the upcoming vacation but he wanted to propose after the vacation. It is pretty dumb to put that on the outside of the letter. Jesus Christ, Wells Fargo. I thought she should've been pissed that they have a mortgage and here he was, financing a loving ring but they're pretty traditional and there's nothing more traditional than accumulating depreciating assets and debt.
His bad buying a ring he couldn't afford...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blinkman987 posted:

How often do people get away with promising themselves to elope and actually follow through with it?

My husband and I go courthouse married. If I'd married someone else, I probably would have had a wedding, but he really didn't want it (and honestly, so much pressure to do all the planning is on the bride that I soured on the idea pretty quickly).

I did spend $800 on my ring--got an heirloom diamond reset into a new setting. My husband didn't have any extra money so I paid for it myself.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Weddings are like anything else thats pure luxury, ie a poor having a $2000 wedding on credit is worse with money than someone paying for a $85000 wedding with budgeted disposable income.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I think weddings can be legit Bad With Money because they aren't always just luxury. Financials or not, a lot of people are pressured into having them, the industry is lovely/scammy as gently caress with pricing. Someone spending $80k on their dream wedding that they can afford is fine. Spending even $4000 that you're guilt tripped into and don't want to do is a different story. People's families aren't rational, and when it comes to family we don't act rationally.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

xie posted:

I think weddings can be legit Bad With Money because they aren't always just luxury. Financials or not, a lot of people are pressured into having them, the industry is lovely/scammy as gently caress with pricing. Someone spending $80k on their dream wedding that they can afford is fine. Spending even $4000 that you're guilt tripped into and don't want to do is a different story. People's families aren't rational, and when it comes to family we don't act rationally.

I agree, but now we're getting into the semantics of bad with money vs bad with life again.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

SiGmA_X posted:

His bad buying a ring he couldn't afford...

From afar, I see him as a guy who got his first professional job later in life and got promoted pretty quickly, so instead of going nuts at like age 23 with 35k buying bullshit, he's going nuts at like age 27 with 65k.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Mantle posted:

Are you Chinese?

My friends wedding will be this. In a small town deep inland because he married a girl from China and they have to have a massive wedding for respect and money reasons.

So of course I will be there as his 5 person American squad, including his parents. It'll be a fun time, I'm sure. I'll die of alcohol poisoning, but I won't pay for it, so good with money?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

My friends wedding will be this. In a small town deep inland because he married a girl from China and they have to have a massive wedding for respect and money reasons.

So of course I will be there as his 5 person American squad, including his parents. It'll be a fun time, I'm sure. I'll die of alcohol poisoning, but I won't pay for it, so good with money?

Free alcohol = best with money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rudager posted:

Totally agree. Anytime anyone mentions a wedding anywhere on this site, people fall over themselves to post about how cheap their wedding was and how awesome it was. Nobody cares.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

MJBuddy posted:

Goon discovers how to lower his living expenses to zero with this one weird trick. Salesmen hate him!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

How often do people get away with promising themselves to elope and actually follow through with it?

My family actively encouraged it. We were gifted a stay at a resort, so we paid the all-inclusive fee and airfare. I think it cost us like 2k once you included licensing fees, and I can tell everyone I got married in Jamaica, planned, and executed the entire thing while rum drunk with my wife and islanders.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Senf posted:

Free alcohol = best with money.

I see you have never had Chinese bai jiu before.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Antifreeze Head posted:

I see you have never had Chinese bai jiu before.

I have!

Because entirely related to this wedding my friend was at a drinking engagement when he met her family and had to manage the wonderful game theory of people demanding you kill yourself. So he brought some back and I got to try it last weekend since, as he's told me, I have some responsibility to drink for him to help him curb his own liver failure from the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
From my time in China, I was left with the understanding that it was more or less ok for the groom to drink water as he visits all the tables to basically prevent him dying of alcohol poisoning on the day of his wedding.

For those not acquainted with the taste of bai jiu, it is about what you would think a hobo's armpit would taste like if you licked it. Something magical happens once it hits your stomach though, and whenever you burp it tastes then of fruit and flowers.

• Locked thread