Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Rumda posted:

Same with York. :cryingredrose:

York was the White Rose :viggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

York was the White Rose :viggo:

:thejoke:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Also I've just realized that in French we say "Le New Hampshire", "Le New Jersey" but "Le Nouveau Mexique"

You're basically speaking english at this point.
Nou Hampshire, Nova Jersey, Nou Mèxic, Nova York. :smug:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

doverhog posted:

At least it doesn't have genders, at all.

Or articles, for that matter. (Re: Finnish)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Guavanaut posted:

Even Britain doesn't class Jersey as part of Britain.

The French for Jersey is Jersey :france:

But Jersey originally comes from the Jersey-Norman Jèrri in English and French. So Jersey is Norman.

And Jersey in French is Jersey but jersey in French is maillot. This is important maybe.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

MarsDragon posted:

But what about Nutella?

Fun Fact: The German word "Band" can be male, female or neutral and takes on a different meaning for each gender :eng101:

Das Band: band, tape, ribbon
Der Band: volume (of a book)
Die Band: Music band (imported from the English, so it's pronounced differently)

Number of genders:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I see there are three genders in the English Channel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

I see there are three genders in the English Channel.
That's what UKIP are so terrified about.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I never got far enough in learning a language to find out, but do native speakers (other than tumblrites) care at all if you misgender a noun?

I don't know about other languages, but if you do this in romanian people will think you're illiterate (or ethnic hungarian)

I don't know what you mean with tumblrites, as this is strictly a grammar thing, not a gender issue

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Try telling that to feminists you chauvinist patriarchal cis gendered oppressive scum! Oppression of womyn starts in language!111

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Riso posted:

Try telling that to feminists you chauvinist patriarchal cis gendered oppressive scum! Oppression of womyn starts in language!111

oh my god

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

The French for Jersey is Jersey :france:

Haha yeah, that's true. I always figured it was an English name that the French never really bothered to translate, given the style. Wikipedia tells me it is likely derived from the Norse.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Riso posted:

You're the Nazi, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

point of return posted:

You're the Nazi, right?

Yeah that dude is an unironic fascist.

HookShot posted:

Haha yeah, that's true. I always figured it was an English name that the French never really bothered to translate, given the style. Wikipedia tells me it is likely derived from the Norse.

Yeah names get muddled like that. But Jersey (And Guernsey and Alderney and Sark) were never conquered by the Anglo-Saxon types who took over England first, instead they came to be joined because of the Norman French who got them first and then went for the big prize of Britain.

As such they're English names in the sense of post-invasion English, rather than Old English.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

point of return posted:

You're the Nazi, right?

He's the Nazi.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Nazi requires proof in a court of law please stick to fascist, thanks.

It's like you have never seen feminist critique of language and/or tumblr.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Riso posted:

No it doesn't you whiny little clown.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Post a map about it!!!

women's suffrage

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Exclamation Marx posted:

Post a map about it!!!

women's suffrage

I hadn't realized apartheid South Africa also didn't let women vote.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
(White) Women's suffrage in South Africa was achieved in 1930. Universal adult suffrage was the '94 election.

e: This would have included South-West Africa, now Namibia too.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Then that map is stupid. Women were allowed to vote, non-whites weren't.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I think it is counted at the federal level, which is why Switzerland is orange and not maroon.

Back To 99 posted:

Coloured and Indian people were able to vote from 1984; black people were not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I love the technicality that is the Vatican.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

I wouldn't say its so much stupid (i.e. there was no universal suffrage for women), as it is inconsistent (for example, the Company Charter Territory of Rhodesia seems to have granted all women the vote sometime in 1910-1920).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Fortunately, the Flemish dialect of all things has you covered. When translating Latin to Dutch my teacher in high school actually told us to use the Brabant dialect to figure out the gender of "de" words. Specifically, the indefinite article ("a" or "an" which is "een" in Dutch) in Brabant is "een" for feminine words and "ne" for masculine words. So let's say I forgot whether the word for "car" is masculine or feminine (De wagen/ de auto) I can just think of the dialect "it's NE wagen") and I know the word for car is masculine.

Cue the French-speaking students groaning because this is Brussels so only half the class got it consistently right even with this tip.

Yes, being Flemish myself, I was taught that trick, too. It does help.

Someone asked where grammatical gender or noun class comes from, I believe: well, as far as I recall, most languages seem to have either a masculine/feminine or an animate/inanimate divide. The reason so many IE languages have three grammatical genders is likely because at some point, Proto-Indo-European (PIE), which presumably had the animate/inanimate distinction, merged with an unattested language that had a masculine/feminine noun disctinction, resulting in Latin, Proto-Germanic, Ancient Greek and Proto-Slavic having three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine and inanimate (neuter). Interestingly, after thousands of years most languages seem to have reverted back to a dual system: masculine/feminine for Romance languages (not sure about Romanian here), and with most Germanic languages on track towards a sort-of kind-of revival of the animate/inanimate system (or utrum/neutrum if you want to call it that). German and Icelandic seem to be the most stubborn last holdouts here. I don't know enough about modern Slavic languages to say where they are currently headed, I only know a bit of Russian and know that it has retained the threeway noun classification.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Post a map about it!!!

women's suffrage

Are they counting countries in Africa based on independence? Could Algerian women vote in French elections?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I wouldn't say its so much stupid (i.e. there was no universal suffrage for women), as it is inconsistent (for example, the Company Charter Territory of Rhodesia seems to have granted all women the vote sometime in 1910-1920).

Then the entire map should be black, as underage women aren't allowed to vote anywhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Needs Puerto Rico

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Might be missing a few. At 1.1 million people Fairfax County should be light blue or dark green. And maybe DC is a special case but I'd have given it the maroon color for beating Wyoming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Needs Puerto Rico

There are no counties in Puerto Rico.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Riso posted:

Not here in the land of the free it doesn't

:911:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I know but still.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

If you say so, but then DC isn't a state...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I know but still.

The largest subdivision of Puerto Rico is San Juan, which is only 395,326. So none of it would be colored in, even if you considered the municipalities to be equivalent to counties.

The metro area is 2.5 million people but that includes 41 municpalities.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

(White) Women's suffrage in South Africa was achieved in 1930. Universal adult suffrage was the '94 election.

e: This would have included South-West Africa, now Namibia too.

Yeah, in Australia white women were allowed to vote sometime in the 10s, but Aboriginal ones weren't until the '67 referendum when it was determined that aboriginies were no longer considered "fauna"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

There aren't any in Louisiana either, but it's on there :colbert:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, in Australia white women were allowed to vote sometime in the 10s, but Aboriginal ones weren't until the '67 referendum when it was determined that aboriginies were no longer considered "fauna"

Oh huh that's a real thing that actually happened. Christ.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Weird BIAS posted:

Oh huh that's a real thing that actually happened. Christ.

Still not as bad as Canada which in the 90s argued that it did nothing wrong to the natives because genocide wasn't against the law then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Orange County. :downsrim:

Also, drat California, where did you get all those peeps.