Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I couldn't make out a clear impact site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Impact gash clearly visible at 0:57

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MAY THEIR SOULS REST IN PEACE

Click to
SUBSCRIBE

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
If you value your sanity I suggest you do not go and read the associated thread on pprune. The 'where are the engines' mouth breathers are already there.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

When I look at these footage of the crashsite, it looks like something is not right. If the plane was packed with 150 passengers then the crash site would have been bodies all over the place. I can clearly see the rescue workers so then a body would be clearly also. But there are no visual bodies. Also how can a plane just drop from the sky as they said, that is not even possible, as a plane has wings that glides.

Another thing, i see no burning marks or a place of impact. If i plane hits the rocks it leaves a big black burning mark. I see no such thing on the footage. Also there is nothing left of the plane, not even the wings or the cockpit or seats or anything, the plane has just crumbled to pieces. Wings, engines and cockpits just don't crumble to pieces, no matter how hard the impact. But they did manage to find the black boxes within no time.

This is ridicules, it is right in your face that something is wrong in this picture.
But of course we are all just blindly going to believe what the authorities are going to make us believe. I have no idea what has happened to that plane, i have no conspiracy, but all i see that what they are showing us on this footage is not a plane crash site.
It looks staged to me, i think we are being lied too. And not just now, they are lying and deceiving us all the time. This proves it to me. Whatever this is, it doesn't look like a plane crash.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

TheFluff posted:

This is ridicules, it is right in your face that something is wrong in this picture.
But of course we are all just blindly going to believe what the authorities are going to make us believe. I have no idea what has happened to that plane, i have no conspiracy, but all i see that what they are showing us on this footage is not a plane crash site.
It looks staged to me, i think we are being lied too. And not just now, they are lying and deceiving us all the time. This proves it to me. Whatever this is, it doesn't look like a plane crash.

Of course you do.

TheFluff posted:

When I look at these footage of the crashsite, it looks like something is not right. If the plane was packed with 150 passengers then the crash site would have been bodies all over the place. I can clearly see the rescue workers so then a body would be clearly also. But there are no visual bodies. Also how can a plane just drop from the sky as they said, that is not even possible, as a plane has wings that glides.

Another thing, i see no burning marks or a place of impact. If i plane hits the rocks it leaves a big black burning mark. I see no such thing on the footage. Also there is nothing left of the plane, not even the wings or the cockpit or seats or anything, the plane has just crumbled to pieces. Wings, engines and cockpits just don't crumble to pieces, no matter how hard the impact. But they did manage to find the black boxes within no time.

You've basically said that it didn't fly into the ground, or fall out of the sky, and that authorities are lying (even though all they've announced is a plane crash). If you're going to blather bullshit, don't pretend that you're not.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

Of course you do.

You've basically said that it didn't fly into the ground, or fall out of the sky, and that authorities are lying (even though all they've announced is a plane crash). If you're going to blather bullshit, don't pretend that you're not.

He copy pasted that from the youtube comments.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I think that was supposed to be a parody of a commenter from another site? :confused:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Also how can a plane just drop from the sky as they said, that is not even possible, as a plane has wings that glides.

I forget that not every poster in this thread has an encyclopedic knowledge of NTSB crash reports.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:catstare:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic

SybilVimes posted:

Oh god

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
jeez guys there's even a link to the comment in the post, I haven't actually gone completely bananas (yet)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

The forum background is grey so all posts must be serious ok.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Apologies TheFluff. I didn't read the youtube comments. I don't apologize for that :colbert:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't ever read the youtube comments ever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TheFluff posted:

that is not even possible, as a plane has wings that glides.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

azflyboy posted:

This.

I fly the Q400, and it's always entertaining to get asked to slow down because we're overtaking a CRJ, plus the fact that we can do CAT III approaches with the airplane means that it's not uncommon for us to make it into some airports while the CRJ's and Embraers are trying to figure out how much longer they can hold before they have to divert.

Are all Q400s CatIII, or does it vary by carrier/mod?

Edit: just saw the crash. Obligatory "A Boeing would be in two, maybe three pieces on that mountainside. drat plastic Airbus crap."

ctishman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 24, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

holocaust bloopers posted:

Don't ever read the youtube comments ever.

Wisdom.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

ctishman posted:

Edit: just saw the crash. Obligatory "A Boeing would be in two, maybe three pieces on that mountainside. drat plastic Airbus crap."

Yeah, but one of the pieces would be the empennage 20 miles away.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

SybilVimes posted:

Yeah, but one of the pieces would be the empennage 20 miles away.

:thurman:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Holy gently caress that's a mess.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

bobfather posted:

It's an Airbus. Any guesses as to whether the automated systems helped the crash along, as they have in so many other Airbus flights?

pilots should be allowed to fly as they cfit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

slidebite posted:

Supposedly the plane had put out a "distress signal" before it disappeared.

Nope, distress signal was emitted by the local ACC (CRNA Sud-Est, around 10:30) after the plane stopped responding. Someone who works there confirmed there were neither distress calls nor emergency calls from the aircraft. They saw the aircraft descending, and got no response from it, so they declared the plane was in distress. A Mirage 2000 from the 2/5 squadron was scrambled from Orange-Caritat and, according to witnesses, might have reached the area in time to see the airliner crash.

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, even if it did happen, its more likely that the fighter saw the crash and was squawking 7700 to give an approximate area and announce the incident.

The only fighter that was in the area at the time was the one from the PO that investigated when the distress call was made.

Shim Howard posted:

So to play not-entirely-baseless speculation, is it reasonable to say there's no mechanical failure mode that would explain both loss of radio contact and the straight steady descent, and that the leading candidates at this time are incapacitation of the crew after setting an autopilot descent, or controlled flight into terrain?

Credible speculation I've read was that the aircraft got depressurized for some reason, and so the pilots started an emergency descent but lost consciousness anyway, and crashed.

Gibfender posted:

They've already found the flight recorders. That's pretty impressive

It helps that it crashed into an area that is neither an ocean nor a warzone.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ctishman posted:

Are all Q400s CatIII, or does it vary by carrier/mod?

I believe the company I fly for is one of maybe two Q400 operators in the world that has the aircraft certified for CATIII, since the required equipment isn't cheap and most operators don't have a need for it.

Instead of fitting a second autopilot, our aircraft have a HUD installed on the captain's side (with a 3rd NAV radio), which lets us go down to a 50'DH and 600RVR. I've never seen a price tag for the entire system, but seeing as the combiner (the piece of glass the HUD gets projected onto) costs something like $20,000 alone, I'm sure the whole system is comfortably into the six figures.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Agh, I've been so busy that I forgot to post this earlier.

There is a Kickstarter out there, from a company with a history of actually delivering documentaries, about Burt Rutan and his new Amphibian LSA Motorglider. They are about $2300 and 3 days away from making their stretch goals to help upgrade the quality of the equipment to mount to mount on the SkiGull.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antennafilms/looking-up-way-up-the-burt-rutan-story

Entone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2015

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Groda posted:

:vince:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Groda posted:

You know, I'd be upset if this post didn't make me laugh so loving hard.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
*ahem*

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ DAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU AZ :argh:

Groda posted:

Whooooo drat pun status achieved quite nicely. :golfclap:

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope, distress signal was emitted by the local ACC (CRNA Sud-Est, around 10:30) after the plane stopped responding. Someone who works there confirmed there were neither distress calls nor emergency calls from the aircraft. They saw the aircraft descending, and got no response from it, so they declared the plane was in distress. A Mirage 2000 from the 2/5 squadron was scrambled from Orange-Caritat and, according to witnesses, might have reached the area in time to see the airliner crash.
The only fighter that was in the area at the time was the one from the PO that investigated when the distress call was made.

Can't wait til Russia releases some satellite imagery clearly showing the Mirage firing on the plane.

Oh hey, we made it

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 25, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

^^^ GOD DAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU :argh:

Whooooo drat pun status achieved quite nicely. :golfclap:

Can't wait til Russia releases some satellite imagery clearly showing the Mirage firing on the plane.

Oh hey, we made it

We really should quit hijacking the thread...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

We really should quit hijacking the thread...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I love that the engines just wouldn't quit even after crashing.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Man, tri-jets are so cool.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It took me until now to figure out what happened to this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Man, tri-jets are so cool.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 25, 2015