Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh also here's my hideous traffic nightmare.

I'm an engineer :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Huh, I still have the problem with shadows flickering. Weird.

I had the same problem. Put "-force-d3d9" without the quotes in your launch options box. Hot dog, problem solved.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

What happens when you combine 4 highways, downtown, industrial district, cargo terminal + port, two railways, subway, and some commercial areas?

Magic, that's what.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can someone explain the cargo rail to me? Will making extra lines and roundabouts ala OpenTTD increase the amount of trains the stations can put out?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Baronjutter posted:

So apparently people have been digging into all the game's stats such as there's some pretty sweeping "realism" mods coming out. Some completely gut the leveling up system and add in all sorts of interesting new stats the features. The downside is that it seems all the people technically literate enough to code this know gently caress all about cities or game balance and are just adding tons of "realism" without any thought on gameplay or balance.

Welcome to the world of modding. Skyrim had a lot of slap fights, and a lot of mods had extra undocumented features. Want a cool sword? It's in the unlocked chest filled with 255 of every item in the game. Also, everybody is nude and has a three foot long floppy penis. If I had any talent or intelligence, I would make an amazing mod everybody wants to use. And then, one day, for no reason, add a vagina to all of the cars.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Notorious QIG posted:

Oh also here's my hideous traffic nightmare.

I'm an engineer :eng99:

For what it's worth, that triangle district is gorgeous.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I spent about an hour de-weaving the back bone regional connections I've been making willy nilly because I finally hit a traffic throughput that demands total entrance/exit efficiency. I expect there is probably a magic interchange made for this kind of intersection but with that de-weaving session today the sunk cost is too great to even consider it. I imagine this is a similar attitude to some of the crazier traffic stuff municipalities begin thinking is ok.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do people handle the beginning growth hump?

In a realistic city, the low residential buildings would eventually be more of suburbs then anything. But since they are all you have in the beginning ( and you need to place almost half a squares worth to even get high residential buildings ) you end up in this odd scenario where your town core/Downtown area is covered in highly affluent suburban houses at a certain point. And the only way to fix this is to basically bulldoze all your original settlers homes, and replace them with apartments/tenements/office buildings, which seems like a partially baffling design choice I'm not really sure works.

I've tried instead setting up my future Downtown core around the starting offramp, with a ton of Industrial I plan to turn into Office buildings down the road, as well as a smattering of Commercial here and there, but then I have my future suburbs miles away from everything else. And they still don't even really work as future suburbs, since they are in the starter square, which means as soon as I start unlocking additional areas, they'll be overrun by the Downtown region as it grows/needs to grow.

Am I basically just supposed to tell all my original cims to gently caress off as soon as I unlock the high RCI zoning? Or is there a more organic way of doing this I'm just not seeing yet.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

wilderthanmild posted:

For what it's worth, that triangle district is gorgeous.

Thanks! All the roads are one way so somehow that district (Triangulon) doesn't have traffic problems pretty much at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rookersh posted:

How do people handle the beginning growth hump?

In a realistic city, the low residential buildings would eventually be more of suburbs then anything. But since they are all you have in the beginning ( and you need to place almost half a squares worth to even get high residential buildings ) you end up in this odd scenario where your town core/Downtown area is covered in highly affluent suburban houses at a certain point. And the only way to fix this is to basically bulldoze all your original settlers homes, and replace them with apartments/tenements/office buildings, which seems like a partially baffling design choice I'm not really sure works.

I've tried instead setting up my future Downtown core around the starting offramp, with a ton of Industrial I plan to turn into Office buildings down the road, as well as a smattering of Commercial here and there, but then I have my future suburbs miles away from everything else. And they still don't even really work as future suburbs, since they are in the starter square, which means as soon as I start unlocking additional areas, they'll be overrun by the Downtown region as it grows/needs to grow.

Am I basically just supposed to tell all my original cims to gently caress off as soon as I unlock the high RCI zoning? Or is there a more organic way of doing this I'm just not seeing yet.

Nope, the game has basically 3 buildings. Luxury jetsons mansion and glass condo tower, and (if you ban highrises) that awful red boxy tower. Eventually everything levels up to max if you provide even the most basic services so every building that isn't the highest stage is just a temporary bit of wasted art briefly seen at the start of the game or in a flash as buildings level up.

They should have done away with low/dense residential and simply had a residential zone, then have the buildings smoothly upgrade from shacks to skyscrapers BUT have a max-level option via districts and have it much harder to get higher density buildings.

So does anyone know how a cim decides where to work, where to shop, and how to get there? I know a cim wil pick the highest class job they have the education for, then next select for proximity. But where do they choose to shop or play? How often do they re-evaluate their workplace or housing? How do they determine if they will walk/transit or drive? I'll make a very mixed use high density city with a bus on every street and a subway on every 3rd block but still my roads are choked with cars. I'll click on an idiot stuck in traffic and find he both lives and works on the other side of town and has no reason to be there, so I can only assume he's driven across town to visit a certain shop? If shopping and work is more or less random there's no benefit to making mixed cities. The neighbourhood shops end up being visited by people 5km away and the people in the neighbourhood end up driving accross town to someone else's local shops? All the while ignoring the direct metro that takes them everywhere??

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Psawhn posted:

I know it's a good and engaging game when I keep coming with wishlists.

I know you can create custom-sized parks, but I wish you could turn non-rectangular pieces of greenspace into a park. If I use lots of curved roads then I get lots of spaces that'd be great to stick a park in, but not even a custom park would fit properly. Not to mention it's quite a pain to quit out to the asset editor and hope you remember the dimensions exactly.

Make a custom park that is just a tree, lower its values a bit, and when you make your greenspace with your roads and other trees just plop some of those around the edges. Boom! Custom park

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

So does anyone know how a cim decides where to work, where to shop, and how to get there? I know a cim wil pick the highest class job they have the education for, then next select for proximity. But where do they choose to shop or play? How often do they re-evaluate their workplace or housing? How do they determine if they will walk/transit or drive? I'll make a very mixed use high density city with a bus on every street and a subway on every 3rd block but still my roads are choked with cars. I'll click on an idiot stuck in traffic and find he both lives and works on the other side of town and has no reason to be there, so I can only assume he's driven across town to visit a certain shop? If shopping and work is more or less random there's no benefit to making mixed cities. The neighbourhood shops end up being visited by people 5km away and the people in the neighbourhood end up driving accross town to someone else's local shops? All the while ignoring the direct metro that takes them everywhere??

This awesome story:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-strange-tale-of-a-cities-skylines-town-with-only-one-house/

Makes me wonder if they ever switch jobs? If they have a job, does that mean they don't get educated any further?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

SynthOrange posted:

Install the fudged population mod, your problems are fixed.

Eh, not really. I mean, I get that the engine couldn't handle having every single population point as an agent and I'm fine with that, but the mod just slaps a big "fudged population" text next to the agent count. I'm not normally a "MY IMMERSION" person but that's an obnoxiously hey-this-is-fake way to put it. In Simcity the numbers on the screen were obviously way too high compared to the city size, in Skylines it's the opposite. 100K people is not a metropolis.

That said it's really a minor issue that's mostly flavor. I do agree with Baronjutter's complaint that the game is not friendly to compact cities where through traffic goes primarily by streets rather than dedicated thoroughfares. I live in a metropolitan area of a million people that's also a major cargo port, and we have like a quarter of the infrastructure a far smaller city would need in Skylines - just a single rail line with a couple cargo branches, a ring road with one national highway connection, and a couple of arterials. Hell, the main artery is a four-lane most of the way through. Sure, there are some traffic problem spots, but somehow it's not a backed-up hellhole where everyone's late for work and ambulances can't reach sick people, whereas in-game even a fragmentary recreation of the place would collapse in on itself like a black hole.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I think a good night-time mod is one of the things I'd like the most, but it has to be a good one. Just making everything dark isn't enough; I want glowing windows, billboards, street lights. I really love the look of artificially lit night-time cityscapes and I want my city to have some of that too, dang it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Anyone bored enough to help me figure out a way to unfuck this grid?

Extra credit: come up with a way to get this freight rail line into the farmland and ore field without taking up too much space of either!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

beerinator posted:

This awesome story:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-strange-tale-of-a-cities-skylines-town-with-only-one-house/

Makes me wonder if they ever switch jobs? If they have a job, does that mean they don't get educated any further?

I love things like this. You just throw the game engine a situation that practically no one in CO coding the thing ever thought of, and you see what happens.
It reminds me of that one Sims 3 blog where they made a homeless family and let the game run it and it turned into a tragic/touching tale.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Anyone bored enough to help me figure out a way to unfuck this grid?

Extra credit: come up with a way to get this freight rail line into the farmland and ore field without taking up too much space of either!

Make your roundabout a highway. Connect both highways to it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
For the grid, might I suggest alternating what streets merge onto your 4-lanes so there's not quite so many 4-way intersections?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Mokotow posted:

Someone a few pages back mentioned that their sub stations did not work when placed on a road T-intersection - maybe that's it?
Totally fixed it.

The bus depot and subway entrance were 2 squares to the left so the subway was at the end of one of the bus lanes, now it's between lanes and the little buggers love it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

beerinator posted:

This awesome story:

Good news: somebody made a mod that should make investigating stuff like this a whole lot easier:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413448449

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Senso posted:

You mean a space elevator breaking free and wrapping itself three times over the planet (best part of Red Mars).

It was only 1.7 times :spergin:

I really need to finish Blue Mars :goleft:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Has anyone made a mod yet that swaps the order in which rail and metro lines unlock? It's really rear end-backwards as it is, trains ought to be basic infrastructure even a scrub tier mining town can hook up to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Guildencrantz posted:

Eh, not really. I mean, I get that the engine couldn't handle having every single population point as an agent and I'm fine with that, but the mod just slaps a big "fudged population" text next to the agent count. I'm not normally a "MY IMMERSION" person but that's an obnoxiously hey-this-is-fake way to put it. In Simcity the numbers on the screen were obviously way too high compared to the city size, in Skylines it's the opposite. 100K people is not a metropolis.

That said it's really a minor issue that's mostly flavor. I do agree with Baronjutter's complaint that the game is not friendly to compact cities where through traffic goes primarily by streets rather than dedicated thoroughfares. I live in a metropolitan area of a million people that's also a major cargo port, and we have like a quarter of the infrastructure a far smaller city would need in Skylines - just a single rail line with a couple cargo branches, a ring road with one national highway connection, and a couple of arterials. Hell, the main artery is a four-lane most of the way through. Sure, there are some traffic problem spots, but somehow it's not a backed-up hellhole where everyone's late for work and ambulances can't reach sick people, whereas in-game even a fragmentary recreation of the place would collapse in on itself like a black hole.
If you think that mod is a rough my immersion edge, don't look too closely at the number of families in a high rise condo.

Even not looking too closely at the family counts in residential structures, given the traffic state just kind of is, meaning there's no rush hours or weekends, the agent count is closer to think of as the number of people active Monday-Friday, 7am to 7pm.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is there any reason to use low-density residential/commercial after you unlock the high-density? Should I de-zone my current low-density stuff and replace it?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Odobenidae posted:

Is there any reason to use low-density residential/commercial after you unlock the high-density? Should I de-zone my current low-density stuff and replace it?

Low density generates less traffic and high level low density residential pays a poo poo load of money.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

beerinator posted:

This awesome story:

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen in a city building game. Must go buy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
In reality it would take a year of city council meetings and pissed residents to lay down a single road, you don't want reality in a city building game honestly.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I made a video of my city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4eeRX6NzVQ

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The best and most realistic part is unpausing after rebuilding a stretch of street and watching the cars struggle to readjust themselves, sometimes vertically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Uncle Jam posted:

In reality it would take a year of city council meetings and pissed residents to lay down a single road, you don't want reality in a city building game honestly.

There's a difference between the numbers being realistic and the timeframe being realistic. Regardless of that though, realistic doesn't have to mean equal to reality, I mean look at all the video games out there that pride themselves on having 'realistic' graphics when what they really mean is that they've created an art style that mimics real life's tiny intrinsic details.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Not going to lie, I expected it to either pan out to a massive poo poo-lake, or for that circle to be one of two in a giant cock-tropolis.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CJacobs posted:

There's a difference between the numbers being realistic and the timeframe being realistic. Regardless of that though, realistic doesn't have to mean equal to reality, I mean look at all the video games out there that pride themselves on having 'realistic' graphics when what they really mean is that they've created an art style that mimics real life's tiny intrinsic details.

No but you have to balance between people wanting to recreate the look of hong kong with the framerate on their 3 year old computer.
I mean my computer is starting to get gnarly with 50,000 agents if I zoom in and its not exactly a piece of poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is a good point. This game's framerate is very good most of the time but there seems to be a not so sweet spot where it just tips over the edge into shitsville and then you're playing Powerpoint Presentation: Skylines.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Uncle Jam posted:

No but you have to balance between people wanting to recreate the look of hong kong with the framerate on their 3 year old computer.
I mean my computer is starting to get gnarly with 50,000 agents if I zoom in and its not exactly a piece of poo poo.

My 4670k taps out at about 130k agents. 1x speed becomes the only speed. I have no idea how people are playing up to 500k or even a million agents, unless the 25 tile mod drastically exacerbates the CPU load somehow.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Man, 25 tiles is a LOT of space. I've played the hell out of this Passes map and still have about half the tiles untouched.

Metro-less mountain maps are cool as gently caress to play on.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fish Fry Andy posted:

My 4670k taps out at about 130k agents. 1x speed becomes the only speed. I have no idea how people are playing up to 500k or even a million agents, unless the 25 tile mod drastically exacerbates the CPU load somehow.

i7s instead of i5s? Is this game properly multi threaded?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm seriously looking forward to the inevitable Magnasanti 2.0 for this game.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Can anything be done about lane merging? I thought I was having a big traffic issue but it turned out it was just cars literally stopping to allow others to merge in front of them on the highway. This happens with exit ramps & highway merge ramps both short & long. Doesn't seem to matter what I do.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Gibbo posted:

i7s instead of i5s? Is this game properly multi threaded?

Not doing this is now my one regret when I upgraded a few months ago, it doesn't matter for just about any other game these days, but now I got a 110k city and 1x speed is the only speed.

But it's OK because it's now a full time job trying to unfuck the road system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Rudager posted:

Not doing this is now my one regret when I upgraded a few months ago, it doesn't matter for just about any other game these days, but now I got a 110k city and 1x speed is the only speed.

But it's OK because it's now a full time job trying to unfuck the road system.

Same, I got a 4690k thinking "Pffft I don't need those threads" and then promptly got in to a couple things that could benefit from said threads....

Here's hoping I can offload it on a friend.