Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Penny Wright's a Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yet they supported it.

I'm certain The Greens have not supported this in any way. It's my understanding that Bandt was one of only three members to vote against the bill in the lower house.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Fruity Gordo posted:

Penny Wright's a Green.

I realised that as I posted. Don't talk to others and forum whore at the same time I guess.

I'm still pissed off about this legislation.

If ever there was a bill that Lib MPs should have said "gently caress off" on it would be this.

And why Labor supported it is a mystery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Graic Gabtar posted:

And why Labor supported it is a mystery.
Because they don't want to be seen to be soft on national security, because they don't understand the implications, and because the natural instinct for someone in (or near) power is to try and accumulate more.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Mad Katter posted:

I'm certain The Greens have not supported this in any way. It's my understanding that Bandt was one of only three members to vote against the bill in the lower house.
Correct. My gently caress up.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because they don't want to be seen to be soft on national security, because they don't understand the implications, and because the natural instinct for someone in (or near) power is to try and accumulate more.

Mine was kind of a rhetorical question but Labor could not have been more accommodating if they tried.

If Labor can't muster a spirited defence of privacy while debating the issue to at least get "better" legislation then they are worse than that Brandis fuckwit because they know it's bad but want to keep any target the Government would have as small as possible.

Frustrating.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Voters would have changed ballot if they knew Labor would win: LNP

Post election work carried out by the LNP found 7 per cent of voters would have changed their ballots had they known how the 2015 election was going to pan out.

Labor won 44 seats to the LNP's 42, thanks largely to a protest vote which saw preferences flow from the minor parties to Labor, on the back of the "just put LNP last" campaign run by unions, minor parties, lobby and interest groups.

More than 20 of the seats held by Labor sit under a 7 per cent margin.

LNP state director Brad Henderson said voters across key seats would have changed their minds had they known their vote would see the LNP lose power.

"In our own post-election work, we found about 7 per cent of voters across these 30 seats that we were tracking said they would change their vote if they knew the current result was going to be the case," he said.

"But of course you can't wind back the clock and we of course accept the verdict of the voters."

The poll was revealed on the same day the LNP filed into the opposition side of the parliamentary chamber for the first time in three years, its majority - and former leader Campbell Newman, who returned to Brisbane from an overseas holidays just days before - no longer part of the proceedings.

Mr Henderson told attendees of a panel discussion dissecting the January campaign and election result hosted by the Australasian Study of Parliament Group that the "anyone but the LNP" message helped change the course of the election.

"While we were advocating a vote for the LNP, we had Labor, Greens, PUP, WWF, GetUp, the unions, all advocating the put the LNP last vote," he said.

"In effect it was the combined resources of up to six, seven different groups into one voice.

"It was an effective move to corral what has previously been a splintering of the vote with optional preferential voting."

For the first time since optional preferential voting was introduced in Queensland, the exhaustion rate of votes dropped.

Paul Reynolds, an honorary research fellow at the Queensland Parliament said he had crunched the polling numbers and found that in most seats, the exhausted votes - where people just number their preferred candidate - were only between 40 and 20 per cent.

That left a lot of votes in play. And it was the votes of constituents who didn't want Labor, but wanted former premier Campbell Newman to heed their message, which played the biggest role.

"Labor gained 78.8 per cent of Greens preferences in these seats [which were lost in 2012], the LNP 15 per cent," Dr Reynolds said.

"For PUP preferences in these seats which Labor gained, 62.8 per cent went Labor, 30 per cent went to the LNP.

"For all other voters, Labor got 54.5 per cent of other preferences, the LNP 30.6 per cent."

Dr Reynolds labelled the preference distributions "extraordinary".

State Labor campaign director Anthony Chisholm called it the "Newman effect".

"Those people who weren't voting for Labor but wanted to get rid of Campbell Newman or send Campbell Newman a message, they knew what they had to do," he said.

The LNP is still sorting through the submissions into their review examining what went wrong during the campaign, but some former MPs believe they already have the answer.

"You know that letter that was left in the desk of the Executive Building, that nasty letter? That was everything that was wrong with our government," one said.

"A lot of nice notes and small gifts were left by other staff, just nice little messages for those coming in, but then someone just had to go and spit all over that with that letter.

"And that just sums up everything that people hated about our government."

:swingvoters:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Voters would have voted for us to win if they knew we'd lose. :saddowns:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

72 hour days sounds awful.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Murodese posted:

Twiggy Forrest's being investigated by the ACCC for possible anti-competitive practices by suggesting there be a cap placed on iron ore production. I bolded the funniest bit.

twiggy mate, you don't pay tax

He's just used to people uncritically accepting his brain farts as received wisdom.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Greens are a terrible party full of awful people like me so don't join tbh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kommando posted:

72 hour days sounds awful.
72 for the first day, 42 for the second, third etc and 24ish near the end

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is definitely the thread for Mafia talk, yessiree.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is definitely the thread for Mafia talk, yessiree.
would you prefer multiple pages of animal pictures? I know I would

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bowmore posted:

would you prefer multiple pages of animal pictures? I know I would

unironically, yes

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
unless the animals are ponies doing weird sex things

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

Especially if the animals are ponies doing weird sex things

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I for one welcome our new animal posting overlords

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
no tony, stop.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

quote:

Senior Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese MP raised strong concerns within shadow cabinet about the government’s mandatory data retention scheme.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is it me or is this thread sexier than usual?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"Leyonhelm posted:

George Brandis is more obediant to the AFP than their own sniffer dogs.
:drat:

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

starkebn posted:

I just joined, and I received an email yesterday to go to a drinks night with Larissa Waters and staff in Paddington on the 1st of April. Check your spam folder I guess.

I'm considering it :blush:

Yep, these are the ones

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mad Katter posted:

unless the animals are ponies doing weird sex things
Funny you should ask...

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Shadeoses posted:

Is it me or is this thread sexier than usual?

G'day

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland retail worker logic:

SDA is a Union -> SDA will do the same thing to Queensland -> ALP is the political arm of the Unions -> We just voted in an ALP Government -> SDA controls Queensland -> Vote LNP to save Penalty Rates.

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
Andrew Laming, Liberal MP, has been booted from the House by Bishop for 24 hours.

His infraction: pouring bunker fuel onto the desk and floor of the Federation Chamber. Seriously

Mrs Bishop said the act was "reckless".

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Was he trying to make the chamber more appealing to the LNP or something?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He was trying to make a point about how bad the stuff is for the environment and people.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

He was trying to make a point about how bad the stuff is for the environment and people.

He should join the greens

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably got booted because Bishop thought he was in a different party for talking about the environment.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australian Electoral Commission reviews by party

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Liberal and National parties tried to stop release of AEC reviews of their finances

The National party in Victoria attempted to suppress an Australian Electoral Commission review of its political donation disclosures by arguing it could be used by its own party members with “personal agendas”.

Reviews obtained by Guardian Australia under freedom of information laws have revealed widespread failures in political parties’ compliance with their federal disclosure obligations.

Only three parties objected to the release of their disclosures. The AEC rejected the arguments against release, but conceded some redactions could be made in a few cases. The documents have not yet been released as each party has 30 days to appeal.

In a highly unusual argument, the Victorian Nationals said the disclosures contained commercial information that could be used by political opponents – and by members of its own party.

“For the party’s political opponents, whether they be individuals or institutions, access to this information could be used to destabilise or embarrass the party and harm its political objective,” the National party argued, according to the AEC decision letter.

It continued: “Individuals or groups within the party with personal agendas, may use the information to their personal advantage and in a manner that would conflict with the values of and disadvantage the party.

“The information could potentially be used by the party’s opponents, political and media, to diminish the public reputation of the Party jeopardising the financial viability of the party”.

The NSW Liberal Party and four of its associated entities – Bunori Pty Ltd, Dame Pattie Menzies Foundation, Liberal Asset Management (Custodians) Ltd and Liberal Properties Limited – also attempted to suppress the reviews.

In identical terms, the organisations argued that disclosure could unreasonably affect their business affairs by “releasing politically sensitive information about the internal machinations of the division”.

They also argued that the release “does not satisfy any public interest test as the electoral act already has a public disclosure component”, and that “most of the information contained in the review document is already publicly available”.

The Country Liberals (Northern Territory) said the release of two reviews into its activities “may create an opportunity for our opponents to cherry pick parts of the review and convey a completely different, negative outcome, to the public which would not be in our interests, unfair, and may allow your review to be used in a way that was not its intended purpose”.

The AEC’s senior lawyer said publication was “justifiable as a demonstration [of] the transparency in the AEC’s monitoring of compliance”.

The reviews are undertaken periodically by the AEC and are generally initiated on a random basis over a three year cycle.

The director of the NSW Liberal party, Tony Nutt, said the party considered the reviews to be an internal issue with the AEC.

“The original compliance review and matters that were subsequently dealt with relate to the period in 2010-11,” Nutt said.

“On the information available to me all relevant matters were dealt with in compliance with commonwealth law and to the satisfaction of the Australian Electoral Commission.”

“The Liberal party regarded working papers and process issues as internal matters between it and the AEC.”

The Victorian Nationals and the NT Country Liberals did not respond to requests for comment.

In a highly unusual argument, the Victorian Nationals said the disclosures contained commercial information that could be used by political opponents – and by members of its own party.

“For the party’s political opponents, whether they be individuals or institutions, access to this information could be used to destabilise or embarrass the party and harm its political objective,” the National party argued, according to the AEC decision letter.

It continued: “Individuals or groups within the party with personal agendas, may use the information to their personal advantage and in a manner that would conflict with the values of and disadvantage the party.

“The information could potentially be used by the party’s opponents, political and media, to diminish the public reputation of the Party jeopardising the financial viability of the party”.

The NSW Liberal Party and four of its associated entities – Bunori Pty Ltd, Dame Pattie Menzies Foundation, Liberal Asset Management (Custodians) Ltd and Liberal Properties Limited – also attempted to suppress the reviews.

In identical terms, the organisations argued that disclosure could unreasonably affect their business affairs by “releasing politically sensitive information about the internal machinations of the division”.

They also argued that the release “does not satisfy any public interest test as the electoral act already has a public disclosure component”, and that “most of the information contained in the review document is already publicly available”.

The Country Liberals (Northern Territory) said the release of two reviews into its activities “may create an opportunity for our opponents to cherry pick parts of the review and convey a completely different, negative outcome, to the public which would not be in our interests, unfair, and may allow your review to be used in a way that was not its intended purpose”.

The AEC’s senior lawyer said publication was “justifiable as a demonstration [of] the transparency in the AEC’s monitoring of compliance”.

The reviews are undertaken periodically by the AEC and are generally initiated on a random basis over a three year cycle.

The director of the NSW Liberal party, Tony Nutt, said the party considered the reviews to be an internal issue with the AEC.

“The original compliance review and matters that were subsequently dealt with relate to the period in 2010-11,” Nutt said.

“On the information available to me all relevant matters were dealt with in compliance with commonwealth law and to the satisfaction of the Australian Electoral Commission.”

“The Liberal party regarded working papers and process issues as internal matters between it and the AEC.”

The Victorian Nationals and the NT Country Liberals did not respond to requests for comment.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/25/liberal-and-national-parties-tried-to-stop-release-of-aec-reviews-of-their-finances

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.smh.com.au/national/kathy-jackson-to-argue-use-of-union-credit-cards-was-entirely-appropriate-20150325-1m7al5.html

Kathy Jackson is going to attempt the Craig Thompson defence. It worked out well for Craig.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Lid posted:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/kathy-jackson-to-argue-use-of-union-credit-cards-was-entirely-appropriate-20150325-1m7al5.html

Kathy Jackson is going to attempt the Craig Thompson defence. It worked out well for Craig.

I love the Kathy Jackson train wreck.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lid posted:

*blows whistle on union guy who spent ~$20k dollars of union funds on hookers and wine, splashes out $1.4m of union funds on vacations and designer clothes*

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The only way I can explain the profound suicidal stupidity of Kathy Jackson is that the LNP promised her the world if she dogged the HSU and then left her high and dry after they'd milked her for political points. I mean, there is a bit of precedence for that sort of stuff when it comes to Tony Abbott.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The union alleges Ms Jackson spent more than $660,000 on personal expenses, including holidays, shopping and mortgage payments, as well as $1.07m in separate unauthorised spending. It claims the former national secretary misappropriated $350,399 through unauthorised expenses on her union-issued credit cards, including $170,554 on travel and holidays, $101,783 on shopping, $28,288 on food and alcohol, and $44,537 on entertainment.

The credit card expenditure includes more than $20,000 spent at Myer and David Jones (mostly in the two weeks around Christmas), more than $4000 on clothing and shoes and at children’s stores, more than $10,000 at a Jaguar dealership, and meals at “hatted” restaurants including $14,000 at Fenix in Melbourne in December 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bloody unions

• Locked thread